Moparts

Swapping used flat tappet cam/lifte from block to block

Posted By: Verga

Swapping used flat tappet cam/lifte from block to block - 02/26/13 03:44 PM

Ive swapped a few used (matched lifters to lobe) cams from motor to motor. Never gave it much thought, nor ever had a problem.

But, how many people have mashed a lobe soon after swapping?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Swapping used flat tappet cam/lifte from block to block - 02/26/13 04:23 PM

A good Friend of mine is really good Friends with Jim Dowell that owns Racer Brown cams. He told him not to do it when he bought a slightly used cam from me. He had him send it to him and he does a process to it before running it in another block with new lifters. Believe me Jim did not get rich on this deal and probably wouldn't charge much to have done. Dan (performance only) had some really good posts about bushing blocks and how bad they vary from one to another. Now to the question again, yes I have done it. Was I lucky? probably, but then again I never have had a problem with any solid lift cam and many have.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Swapping used flat tappet cam/lifte from block to block - 02/26/13 04:31 PM

NEVER actually done this me-self .. but I was told by a guy who has built more motors in a year .. than I have done in my life.

As long as the lifter-in-the-bore spins free ... and you have a good crown on the lifter itself AND you can eyeball the lifter operation upon first start-up .... NO problem ...

HOW do you eyeball the lifter ? ..... By putting a dab of good white engine enamel paint on the top edge of the lifter.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Swapping used flat tappet cam/lifte from block to block - 02/27/13 03:19 AM

I've never heard of this being a problem as long as you make sure the lifters rotate freely. I'm gonna be using a used solid flat tappet cam and lifters and we just installed some in Butch's car too.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Swapping used flat tappet cam/lifte from block to block - 02/27/13 03:48 AM

Over the last 40 years I have ran all solid lifter cams in my engines, new ones and used. Some new wiped out soon after the swap with new lifters , never had a used one wipe out. I have bought used cams that the seller said the lifters were in order, don't know if they were, I have also used used lifers from another cam and didn't have a problem. Luck, just luck. Next engine going roller, no oil additive to worry about.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Swapping used flat tappet cam/lifte from block to block - 02/27/13 07:36 PM

I have done this 9 times and never had a issue period I just lube the snot out of the cam with wheel bearing grease then add can of EOS or 30 weight over the cam lube lifters with ATF and oil after soaking in it
© 2024 Moparts Forums