Moparts

440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion

Posted By: Belvedere500ci

440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 02:45 PM

Post your 383 combos with a 440 crank. I plan on using my 383 block with steath heads. I am considering using a 440 crank? Looking to give it some bottom end but dont want to sacrifice the car hooking every pass. Wondering what to expect for ET in my 3800lbs 4 door Belvedere. Undecided to use a flat tappet or roller cam. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 02:55 PM

This is what i am running currently! 437,
Runs great, 10.40s in 2900# car,
with some tuning should get it low 10.teens
it is an easy plate form to build off of,
, you can do the same in a 400 block as well, 451
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 03:48 PM

Is there an advantage over using a 440 block? Or is it convenience?

Working on my first 440 build & have certainly wondered if the 451 combo would be better for a race car
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

Is there an advantage over using a 440 block? Or is it convenience?

Working on my first 440 build & have certainly wondered if the 451 combo would be better for a race car

yes there is , if you have a tight engine compartment everything just fits better in a low deck package , the bad is the intake selection isn't as good as an RB, but one could fix that by using Stage 6 heads if they would work in the build plan.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 04:34 PM

The other reason to use a 383 block is that you already have one!

Go to Mancini Racing's overstock page. Your pistons are waiting...Diamonds, $500.

R.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 05:13 PM

Quote:

yes there is , if you have a tight engine compartment everything just fits better in a low deck package , the bad is the intake selection isn't as good as an RB, but one could fix that by using Stage 6 heads if they would work in the build plan.

Probably answers my question but... If a 446 & 451 were prepped the same, would they make the same power (at track) as they're displacements are close?

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 05:22 PM

If the 446 is a stock type rebuild with those HEAVY pistons and rods, and the 451 uses lightweight pistons and rods, the 451 wins every time.

R.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Probably answers my question but... If a 446 & 451 were prepped the same, would they make the same power (at track) as they're displacements are close?

The 451 is just a compact 440 bored .055 over. but as dogdays says lighter rotating assembly helps the 451 , how much ????

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 05:42 PM

383 combos guys. I built a 500 using a 400 block. I love the b blocks. Easier to get ahold of and better clearances. Who else is running 431-438s? How fast?
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 05:52 PM

Best option would be to use a 400 block (bigger bore). But, If you already have the 383 block, and aren't looking for a MAX effort, it should work just fine. You might cruise the local craigslist for a 400, though. I found a 400 long block out of a P/U not far from me for dirt cheap ($50 if I remember correctly!!).

Advantages to the B motor are plenty:
-lighter weight than an RB block.
-smaller physical size makes headers and high rise manifolds easier to navigate
-Same stroke rotating assembly in a "B" is substantially lighter in rotating mass than the RB combo i.e.: lighter pistons and lighter crank due to counterweights and main journals being cut down.
-While not true with a 383 block, a 400 blocks bigger bore helps with unshrouding the valves, lets it breath better.
-"B" blocks are generally understood to be a little stronger than "RB" blocks due to the lower piston sleeve.

The extra stroke will pay big dividends in trying to move a 4-door belvedere, which is a hefty sled to say the least. Bottom line, the 3.75 stroke build will stomp the same 3.38 build every time! and the bigger the car your moving, the bigger the advantage gets. My combo is a .040 over 400 block with a 413 RB crank ground on center, good for 452 cubes. It also has Stealth heads (with no port work) and a street friendly solid flat tappet cam and Pump gas allowable 10.3:1 CR. It moves my Satellite along pretty good (although on this board, you're NEVER fast enough) and in general I'm real happy with what I was able to build on my budget.

cutting the crank will be the only thing that is any different than a standard 383 build, and you'll want to find a machine shop that understands exactly what you're doing for this. Try to find a shop thats done it before. If you get the deer in the headlights look when you explain it, keep looking! You're looking for the guy that smiles and says "I've done that plenty of times!". This work shouldn't cost you much more than a few hundred bucks by itself.

Whatever you end up doing, Have fun!

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 06:30 PM

Quote:

This work shouldn't cost you much more than a few hundred bucks by itself.

Unless you go to Boucher's in Rowley Ma. , they wanted $800 to cut the mains on my 440 crank , it would have been cheaper for me to ship the crank back and forth to michigan to have it done.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 06:41 PM

I like taking the stock forged steel cranks and have them offset ground to 3.91 or 3.90, (whatever stroke you can get out of them) with BB Chevy rod size and B motor main size, works good in both 400 and 383 The 400 blocks have thicker main webs than the 440 and 383 do

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This work shouldn't cost you much more than a few hundred bucks by itself.

Unless you go to Boucher's in Rowley Ma. , they wanted $800 to cut the mains on my 440 crank , it would have been cheaper for me to ship the crank back and forth to michigan to have it done.

Pacific Machine in Tacoma WA:
Grind forging tabs off my 413 crank, cut and finish mains to B dimensions, cut counterweights to 7.25": $190-

Given, this was 3 years ago, but I bet I could still have them do all that for less than $250.

I recently had a main-bearing issue, brought the crank back to them to have it magged, checked for true, and re-polished: $120.

Until I learn otherwise, John Tillits and Pacific Machine in Tacoma gets my business!

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 07:47 PM

Hope I wasn't hijacking. Thanks for clearing that up. Going to be doing a stroker in the near future & have access to a couple 400's. Going to grab one this spring as it certainly sounds like a good starting point for next year's motor.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 07:54 PM

Whatever block you decide to use, ALWAYS ALWAYS sonic check and Mag before investing in parts.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 08:32 PM

Quote:

Whatever block you decide to use, ALWAYS ALWAYS sonic check and Mag before investing in parts.

Always mag and sonic test before starting

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 10:13 PM

True Dat!
R.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 10:15 PM

Quote:

I like taking the stock forged steel cranks and have them offset ground to 3.91 or 3.90, (whatever stroke you can get out of them) with BB Chevy rod size and B motor main size, works good in both 400 and 383 The 400 blocks have thicker main webs than the 440 and 383 do

You can get 3.91 out of a std b/rb rod journal , but doing all that grinding will get you close to the cost of a CCJ crank POSSIBLY a 4340 non twist forging ... but then adding in the cost of having it ground .010/.010 to fix it may blow that deal ...

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 10:17 PM

Mancini Overstock again, 4.15" stroke 383 main Eagle 4340 crank $500. Yeah, it's 10 under on both rods and mains, but so what?
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/384st6bo10ea.html
R.
Posted By: Winchester 73

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 11:01 PM

so nobody line bores?i thaught there was some debate as to it being better than grinding the crank?

anyone using a cast crank?

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 11:07 PM

You can do line bore, that is an option, but for the strengh you normaly will cut the crank!
My 440 crank cost me $100 bucks for the 10 / 10 and another $100 to turn down the counters,
rods resized and new bolts $125 bought new OLD set of venolias 60 over, off ebay for $60 bucks they where brand new just never used!!
the 440 steel crank was laying around so made use of it,
so my rotator I'm in cheap!!
have set of O T B Eddy R P M s , Racer Brown stx 21 Running 10.40s
Posted By: Winchester 73

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 11:24 PM

that stroker sounds cheaper than my 383

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 11:39 PM

dennismopar73,
What are you using for a cam? Flat tappet or Roller? What are your 60 foots? 4
link, Ladder bar car?

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/14/13 11:44 PM

well it is pretty cheap!!
But Im intot he crank right bought couple 440 that had steel cranks in them which I still have 1 ,
getting them turned is $100 here, and that guy i know will turn down counter s for $100 ,, so, even if you get a crank for say $125 get the rest done cheap your into it cheap, I just reused my rods had them resized and ARPs bolts put in good to go, never bush the rods, because there is no HP there!! and I think it makes them weaker in the stock form,
bore n hone is $125 , boil install freeze plugs another $80
I paid extra for the decking and line hone ,
I have more $ in my heads than I do the whole motor!!

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 03:47 PM

Quote:

Mancini Overstock again, 4.15" stroke 383 main Eagle 4340 crank $500. Yeah, it's 10 under on both rods and mains, but so what?
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/384st6bo10ea.html
R.

The problem with that crank is there isn't a rod available to use the common 1.32 shelf stock piston , rod needs to be roughly 6.580. the 4.15 crqank is ok for an RB build but low deck builds the 4.25 crank is a better choice.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 03:49 PM

Quote:

so nobody line bores?i thaught there was some debate as to it being better than grinding the crank?

anyone using a cast crank?

You can do that with a 400 block , but a 383 has thinner main webbing and it's not a good idea. 440Jim line bored his 400 block out to RB main size for a stronger crank, better main bearing selection and better crank selection at the time he did it .

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 04:56 PM

Well, JRR, yer right, save money on that crank and you'll spend it on rods or pistons. Bummer!

Regarding block and crank relative strengths, it seems to me that the stock blocks are failing before the cranks get into trouble. So it seems counterproductive to weaken a block that's already the weak link, in order to protect a crank that, even turned down, is the stronger link.

R.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Well, JRR, yer right, save money on that crank and you'll spend it on rods or pistons. Bummer!

Regarding block and crank relative strengths, it seems to me that the stock blocks are failing before the cranks get into trouble. So it seems counterproductive to weaken a block that's already the weak link, in order to protect a crank that, even turned down, is the stronger link.

R.

I agree with this concept. The block obviously gets weaker when you bore the mainline, as the bearing saddle gets closer to the thinner parts of the main webbing. You'd have to show me how a crank gets weaker by cutting the main journals down, though. I could be wrong, but typically a smaller diameter of the same material is going to be stronger than a larger diameter.

In any case, I would suggest that the most cost effective way to build a stout rotating assembly is going to be to find a good forged RB crank and make the modifications there. Add a good set of newer H-beam rods with ARP capscrews (I'm not a fan of using 40 year old stock rods in a performance build), and a set of forged slugs. Makes for a pretty stout rotating assembly at a very reasonable pricetag.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 05:25 PM

A smaller diameter is weaker both in bending and torsion, no way around that. And it's not a direct proportion but something like the ratio cubed.

One can use a stronger material but because steel has a relatively constant spring rate (modulus of elasticity) that only means it won't break as easily, it'll still deflect the same amount regardless of the alloy.

If crankshaft strength were an issue it'd be worth considering. However, the crank, even with smaller journals, seems to be stronger than it needs to be.

R.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 05:42 PM

None this answer my questions. Its going off in a totally different direction. My 383 is all ready, that's the block I'm building. I'm either going to put it back stock stroke or 440 stroke. Who out there has a 431-438?

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 05:47 PM

Quote:

None this answer my questions. Its going off in a totally different direction. My 383 is all ready, that's the block I'm building. I'm either going to put it back stock stroke or 440 stroke. Who out there has a 431-438?

I was going to build one and changed my mind and went bigger , 3.9 stroke.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

R.

I agree with this concept. The block obviously gets weaker when you bore the mainline, as the bearing saddle gets closer to the thinner parts of the main webbing. You'd have to show me how a crank gets weaker by cutting the main journals down, though. I could be wrong, but typically a smaller diameter of the same material is going to be stronger than a larger diameter.

In any case, I would suggest that the most cost effective way to build a stout rotating assembly is going to be to find a good forged RB crank and make the modifications there. Add a good set of newer H-beam rods with ARP capscrews (I'm not a fan of using 40 year old stock rods in a performance build), and a set of forged slugs. Makes for a pretty stout rotating assembly at a very reasonable pricetag.

Jim's reasoning was because of overlap of the journal diameters, the longer the stroke the less amount of material in the journals is one straight piece front to rear, kinda makes sense but I don't know what difference it makes structurally ?

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 07:28 PM

To the OP, there must be a dozen of these engines on the board and they are significantly stouter feeling than a 383. Do it!

To whoever is worried about crank journal overlap, it has been a concern. It was a real concern for the OEMs especially using cast cranks. Thus you got the 2.81" main size on the 360 and the 2.65" main size on the chevy 400. HOWEVER, seeing that huge bigblockchevy engines are running stock 2.75" mains and 2.200" rod journals with 5.25" strokes and more, with zero journal overlap, it seems the 4340 cranks are strong enough so that doesn't matter as much.

R.

SO, OP, Do it! build that 3.75" stroke 383.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/15/13 09:37 PM

Quote:

I believe Mopar Muscle did a 431 a few years back with Eddy RPM heads. I believe its the one they put in a 65 Dodge Coronet and ran 11.70's with it. Ron
Posted By: Z_Z

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 12:17 AM

I have a 431. Not a ton of racing times with it...last summer I was able to get a best 7.88 8th, 1.78 60ft, at 89mph. Put on a set of indy ez on, has a .570 Ultradyne 251@.050/278. There is alot of tuning to do yet. I run 4 speed and 4.10 dana. I have done nothing but find the weakest link since I put the ez's on it.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 12:50 AM

Quote:

I'll say it again:
"The extra stroke will pay big dividends in trying to move a 4-door belvedere, which is a hefty sled to say the least. Bottom line, the 3.75 stroke build will stomp the same 3.38 stroke build every time! and the bigger the car your moving, the bigger the advantage gets"
Posted By: BSB67

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 01:32 AM

Quote:

Honestly, I've read your original post several times and have not responded because I really don't know what your question is.

"440 stroke in a 383. Good idea?".....Yes.

In the context of your question and the lack of any other information, any response will be of little value. Other than cost, I don't know what there is to evaluate. It's essentially comparing a 440 to a 383. Do you have some specific concern regarding the 431?
Posted By: Ray440

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 02:25 AM

Quote:

Here is a 383 stroker build up written by board member AndyF. Maybe this article will answer some of your questions.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0605_mopar_performance_383_stroker_engine/

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 03:12 AM

The 383 bore with the 440 stroke is basically the same as a 426 wedge, correct? OP, go for it The longer stroke motors make more torque, torque is what moves the mass, HP Hence my suggestion on offset stroking the 440 crank to 3.91 or 3.90 stroke

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 06:20 AM

Quote:

Mine is a 437 love it !! go ahead and do the 440 crank in that 383
Posted By: 64Post

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 06:37 AM

Quote:

I did a 383 with a 3.910" crank for a 451. Never made it to an engine dyno or the track but got 476 hp and 500 tq on a chassis dyno. Questionable ring seal, small headers and intake probably cost me 20-30 hp.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/16/13 05:49 PM

Trivia: 1st 383/RB stroker was the "Dragmaster Dart" dragster engine, built 1962 with 413 crank... because there was no 426 block yet.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/19/13 04:34 AM

Quote:

I have a 383 in my car. Very mild with stage IV heads and it really works well and im suprised at how much torque this thing makes. Starts and runs and has no attitude. This little motor has broken lots of drivetrain parts behind it and after 5 years of running constant 7500+rpm shifts , it remains in good condition with very minimal maintenance. Its not trying to push off the main caps , doesn't need a girdle and still runs hard. Has run best of 9.86 at 135.60 in a 3100 lb car through mufflers.

Hutch
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/20/13 02:51 PM

Does Dogdays work for Mancini?? The result of my reading this thread this morning is that I am now holding an order confirmation for a set of Diamond pistons that I had no idea I needed when I woke up this morning! They will go great with this set of Manley rods that have been riding the shelf for 3 years though!

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/20/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

Does Dogdays work for Mancini?? The result of my reading this thread this morning is that I am now holding an order confirmation for a set of Diamond pistons that I had no idea I needed when I woke up this morning! They will go great with this set of Manley rods that have been riding the shelf for 3 years though!

No he doesn't I have bought at least one set of those pistons from mancini , I might be due for another

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/20/13 08:54 PM

No, I don't work for Mancini, but I love a great deal. As I have wasted most of my free money, I cannot buy a set myself so am passing the word around. Those pistons are jewels and your engine is going to be righteous.

R.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/21/13 03:48 PM

Thanks guys! Sorry my original post was sorta vague. I am looking to get my Belvedere into the 10s without adding a ton of low end. My 500ci I built a few years back was the ticket if the track absolutely perfect. But if not it would blow the tires off and go no where. I bent 2 rears and switched back to my 12.0 383. Now that's it's time to rebuild the 383, my engine guy purposed the 440 crank to help move the heavy 3800 lbs Belvedere. I was wondering how many people are using this and how durable they are? Also what for Ets, 60 foots, stall of converter, etc? Things along those lines. Id love to see the car go 10.50 but if it goes 11 flat and doesn't spin I'd be happy. Just looking consistency and a reliable piece to bracket race. I want to stay with 383 because the block is perfect and the added cost of starting with a new block.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/21/13 04:03 PM

Great motor, same bore and stroke as a 426 hemi or stage III Maxie, what could be wrong with that?

Built my first one close to 30 yrs ago. was Easier to build than a 400/451 back then cause you could use a modified shelf 454 Chevy truck piston on a .990 bushed rod.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/21/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys! Sorry my original post was sorta vague. I am looking to get my Belvedere into the 10s without adding a ton of low end. My 500ci I built a few years back was the ticket if the track absolutely perfect. But if not it would blow the tires off and go no where. I bent 2 rears and switched back to my 12.0 383. Now that's it's time to rebuild the 383, my engine guy purposed the 440 crank to help move the heavy 3800 lbs Belvedere. I was wondering how many people are using this and how durable they are? Also what for Ets, 60 foots, stall of converter, etc? Things along those lines. Id love to see the car go 10.50 but if it goes 11 flat and doesn't spin I'd be happy. Just looking consistency and a reliable piece to bracket race. I want to stay with 383 because the block is perfect and the added cost of starting with a new block.

I think it would have been cheaper in the long run
to have made your car hook with the 500" instead of
making less power... more than likely a set of good
shocks and maybe looking at the leaf springs.... JMO

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/21/13 10:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it would have been cheaper in the long run
to have made your car hook with the 500" instead of
making less power... more than likely a set of good
shocks and maybe looking at the leaf springs.... JMO

that would be too easy , wheres the fun in that ?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opi - 02/22/13 01:07 AM

Quote:

Great motor, same bore and stroke as a 426 hemi or stage III Maxie, what could be wrong with that?

You lost me here.
If the bore and stroke are the same would you not have a 426 or are you getting a difference in cubes from the piston size?

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opi - 02/22/13 01:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You lost me here.
If the bore and stroke are the same would you not have a 426 or are you getting a difference in cubes from the piston size?

Yes. He's correct. 426 would be at a stock 383/426 bore of 4.25" and 3.75" stroke. Typically, a .030 overbore yeilds 432. A .060 overbore would be 438.

Re: 440 stroke in a 383. Good idea? Post your combo/opinion - 02/22/13 05:24 PM

No I'm not looking for the cheap way out. I have another car i building for the 500. The thought has crossed my mind but then I would need to build another engine when that car is finished. I Orginally just wanted to put rings, bearing and stealth heads on and race it but this idea came about.
© 2024 Moparts Forums