Moparts

caltracs on a demon?

Posted By: Jonnyj00

caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 12:07 AM

Got a chance to buy a caltracs set-up for an abody reasonable and I was wondering what type of leaf spring you can use other than the split monoleaf that they recommend? I have super stock springs now but I don't like how high they make my car sit. So I'm just curious what some of the other options and what your guys opinions are?
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 02:04 AM

I wouldn't run anything other than a split mono.
Posted By: buck440

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 02:19 AM

i have mine on my wore out factory duster springs. but have not had a chance to try em out.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 02:34 AM

If your gunna do it,do it right the 1st time and use the whole system.You can thank me later

Attached picture 7578199-7.15.12(4).jpg
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 02:52 AM

Quote:

If your gunna do it,do it right the 1st time and use the whole system.You can thank me later

Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 05:22 AM

Another thing about the split monos,you can order the ride height directly from Calvert. They build their springs in comparison to stock spring arcs. You can order them in plus or minus stock ride heights. This would help you to lower the back of the car. I have 2" lowering springs on my car.
Posted By: Eric

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 05:36 AM

Quote:

i have mine on my wore out factory duster springs. but have not had a chance to try em out.

I went 1.40 with the pump gas motor in my Duster with wornout stock springs and Caltracs.
Posted By: demon440

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 06:22 AM

My Demon has Caltracs, mono-leafs and leaf spring sliders.

Attached picture 7578475-7392078-sliders.jpg
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 06:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: Jonnyj00

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 03:43 PM

I believe the ones I have found come with a set of abody springs that the guy ran down in the 10s with in a 68 barracuda. What I was thinking is beings my motor is just a mild low horsepower 383 I could get by with the stock springs until I'm ready to build a motor with more horses. If I was gonna go this route what kind of role do the type of shocks you run play?
Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/07/13 08:03 PM

Quote:

I believe the ones I have found come with a set of abody springs that the guy ran down in the 10s with in a 68 barracuda. What I was thinking is beings my motor is just a mild low horsepower 383 I could get by with the stock springs until I'm ready to build a motor with more horses. If I was gonna go this route what kind of role do the type of shocks you run play?

Stock springs will work great!!! One thing they give you over mono's is the option of adjustment with spring clamps..............

..........Remember good shocks are HUGE!!!!!
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 01:57 AM

Quote:

Got a chance to buy a caltracs set-up for an abody reasonable and I was wondering what type of leaf spring you can use other than the split monoleaf that they recommend? I have super stock springs now but I don't like how high they make my car sit. So I'm just curious what some of the other options and what your guys opinions are?

Don't waste your money, the SS springs you have can be adjusted down just by putting a small lower block in !!
we changed and did the whole set up, the car picked up zero ran no better than the ss springs,
Adjusting them can be a pain! unless you 'hit' it right the first time(doubtfull)
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 02:14 AM

DO NOT USE SUPER STOCK SPRINGS WITH CAL-TRACS.

I wasted a couple months trying to make that work. It wont.

You can try stock leafs... but if you dont want to waste time -- buy the Calvert mono springs.

Trust me on this---I wasted a lot of time on that experiment !

edit -- this was with CALVERT shocks that they picked out (it wasnt the shocks)

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 03:31 AM

Quote:

DO NOT USE SUPER STOCK SPRINGS WITH CAL-TRACS.

I wasted a couple months trying to make that work. It wont.

You can try stock leafs... but if you dont want to waste time -- buy the Calvert mono springs.

Trust me on this---I wasted a lot of time on that experiment !

edit -- this was with CALVERT shocks that they picked out (it wasnt the shocks)

SS springs on my car mid tens stick......... worked well..........

What were your shock settings????

edit: I took one leaf out of each side........

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 03:46 AM

Tried ALL shock settings......ALL bar settings...clamps and no clamps .....tried all the advice john calvert gave me on the phone too.....ALL the front end tricks.... the car would "porpouse" on the first 10 feet or so and unload the tires .

I dont know how yours are working

im installing ladder bars this spring = no more traction headaches for me

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 03:58 AM

Quote:

Tried ALL shock settings......ALL bar settings...clamps and no clamps .....tried all the advice john calvert gave me on the phone too.....ALL the front end tricks.... the car would "porpouse" on the first 10 feet or so and unload the tires .

Hopefully the ladders bars help..... how fast is your car??? Have you checked for binding?? What is done to the front end??
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 04:14 AM

Quote:

hey 493dart We had the same problem on my dads duster and my duster. stiff sidewall and innertube cured it all. both our cars hook everytime and nasty consistent in 60' people dont realize how hard a cal trac split mono setup hits. KILLS sidewalls.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 04:27 AM

mine

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 04:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hopefully the ladders bars help..... how fast is your car??? Have you checked for binding?? What is done to the front end??

no binding-- i went through everything....front and rear...front end loose with lots of travel and Calvert drag fronts. trust me....i tried everything...its been 6.46 in the 1/8 so far .

if i did it again i would do it right the first time and buy the bars / monos / shocks in a package like mentioned above---BUT , i was on a budget like usual and tried to do it with my SS springs

Re: caltracs on a demon? - 02/08/13 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no binding-- i went through everything....front and rear...front end loose with lots of travel and Calvert drag fronts. trust me....i tried everything...its been 6.46 in the 1/8 so far .

if i did it again i would do it right the first time and buy the bars / monos / shocks in a package like mentioned above---BUT , i was on a budget like usual and tried to do it with my SS springs

What did you do to the front end??
© 2024 Moparts Forums