Moparts

Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies?

Posted By: gregsdart

Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/05/13 08:44 PM

Well, I have this set of 5.7 heads from an early (2006?) motor, and would like to clean them up a bit. But as the title of the post says, I don't know much about these heads, or porting.
So the plan is to get what info I can here, and tread very lightly with the die grinder. Anybody care to share?
My thoughts are don't change any general shapes, just clean them up and remove any ridges left by machining operations. Because this is going to be a carbed motor, I plan on leaving the ports on the intake side rough, using as course as a sanding role as I can find. The heads will then get sent out for a valve job with stock valves.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/05/13 08:54 PM

No expert and planning the same thing.
These heads are supposed to be easy because there is no short turn.
One of the reasons they flow so well.
Dulich (sp) did a set, spent little time and basically cleaned them up. They respond very well to a little porting.
And before everybody jumps on me saying there is a lot more to porting than that. I agree just the new hemi would be easier.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/05/13 09:02 PM

These are great for what you are planning to do. Summit does not stock the sanding rolls but if ordered will get them to you on the 18th. If you are just shaping and cleaning up the ports they will give you a nice finish.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sai-716296/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pow-pow351480
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/05/13 09:28 PM

Here's a cross section if that helps. The head was cut after a pocket port.

Attached picture 7576594-Sharadon5.7PictureDay2006.jpg

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/05/13 09:35 PM

A couple pic's of what was taken out with the die grinder.

Attached picture 7576600-Sharadon5.7PictureDay5012.JPG
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/05/13 09:35 PM

Quote:

Here's a cross section if that helps. The head was cut after a pocket port.

I guess there is no pushrod buldge in the older 5.7 heads? Nice cutaway

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/05/13 09:37 PM

Exhaust port. Don't touch the floor.

Attached picture 7576605-Sharadon5.7PictureDay5013.JPG

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 01:59 AM

thanks guys. So if I see things right, I can thin down the guides, leave the short sides alone, clean up the rest and they ought to work fine with my .580 lift cam. I assume, that due to time at max lift there just isn't much to be gained concerning flow numbers above about .550, and being a street type motor no increase in port volume other than absolutely needed. These are going on a 380 cube 5.7 block motor.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 02:26 AM

Quote:

thanks guys. So if I see things right, I can thin down the guides, leave the short sides alone, clean up the rest and they ought to work fine with my .580 lift cam. I assume, that due to time at max lift there just isn't much to be gained concerning flow numbers above about .550, and being a street type motor no increase in port volume other than absolutely needed. These are going on a 380 cube 5.7 block motor.

have you put any thought into useing the Eagle head? smaller chamber, larger port and a beautiful casting stock? and same size port as the intakes being made by Ritter

my sandrolled Eagles

Attached picture 7576987-313428_2113434547885_4082256_n.jpg

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 02:33 AM

my exhaust port

Attached picture 7576995-293459_2132259978509_1516004155_n.jpg

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

Greg, Another view of the hand ported G3 intake port.

Attached picture 7577003-Sharadon5.7PictureDay5011.JPG

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 02:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Greg, Another view of the hand ported G3 intake port.

Jerry, taking pics without the flash on is key. you have nice pics on your website of them CNC'ed

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 02:57 AM

Purdy! What valve sizes?

Here's a pic of the very first and only 5.7 closed chamber G3 Hemi heads. Yeah I had the quench pads welded up.

Attached picture 7577052-Closedchamberedheads002.jpg

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 03:27 AM

stock valves. someday I want to do a manley valve upgrade with dual valve springs and a real cam
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 04:35 AM

Here are some pics of what we did to a set of 09 Eagles. Can't talk about the combination, but these are truly one step below an all out race head. Like a stage 3 street head.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 04:46 AM

Very Nice! did you use a buffer on the chambers?

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 05:03 AM

Quote:

It's a micropolished chamber. It takes a little bit of work, but well worth the time.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 06:25 AM

Quote:

stock valves. someday I want to do a manley valve upgrade with dual valve springs and a real cam

The stock exhaust valve actually flow'a quite nicely.
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 06:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It's a micropolished chamber. It takes a little bit of work, but well worth the time.

Why? You should try back to back dyno testing that finish with a burr finish...even if power stays the same, your bsfc's will be better and the engine will use less fuel. Just an FYI...
Brian

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 06:34 AM

Our valve job using Manley 2.08 x 1.57 valves on an Eagle head:

Attached picture 7577325-DSC00532.JPG

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 06:35 AM

another pov:

Attached picture 7577327-DSC00533.JPG

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 06:53 AM

This thread is starting to get out of shape. OP wanted advise with porting a G3 hemi at home, on his bench, stock valves and not all the bell's and whistle's that comes with custom port's and what not's.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 02:14 PM

Quote:

This thread is starting to get out of shape. OP wanted advise with porting a G3 hemi at home, on his bench, stock valves and not all the bell's and whistle's that comes with custom port's and what not's.

Good point. Maybe a discussion on what works and what is overkill for what I want to do is a good idea. I appreciate all the photos and full port pictures as well though. This thread will be a good one to tie into my other post on Gen III Hemis.
My main concern is in not hurting mid range torque if I can, and help the heads make as much over all hp as is possible with a build within my goals. The cam came out of a 392 cube drag pack motor, the pistons will probably be off the shelf items for about 10/1 compression, dual four setup from Edelbrock, and SRT8 exhaust manifolds. The crank is a 3.888 stroke, rods are 6.2 sbc.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why? You should try back to back dyno testing that finish with a burr finish...even if power stays the same, your bsfc's will be better and the engine will use less fuel. Just an FYI...
Brian

Thanks but this works well for us.
Posted By: Flite_727

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 03:44 PM

Greg- I used this article & the accompanying pictures as a guideline for what I did. I was impressed with the results he got, with stock valves & some mild work. Basically just involves streaming the guide boss, blending the bowl to the valve job, & removing the pushrod hump on the intake. With heads & comp "268" cam, My '06 magnum picked up 8 tenths, & 7 mph. On street tires, stock converter & gears. I'll post pics of my hack job later when I get home.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginem...ew/viewall.html

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

He also talked about a valve job and I kept in line with that. Telling him to not touch the ex. port floor isn't much advice

Pictures never hurt as you provided some too. Stock valves may or maynot have their place in his build...

Greg, basicly what you want to do by cleaning the castings up is fine, just be careful not to break into a pushrod tunnel. Reason I posted the valve job pics is because that's where alot of flow is gained, and then blending the bottom cut into the bowl.
Next big power maker is the camshaft.
Are you coming down to the shop? I have some Hemi stuff in if you want to check it out

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/06/13 05:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He also talked about a valve job and I kept in line with that. Telling him to not touch the ex. port floor isn't much advice

Pictures never hurt as you provided some too. Stock valves may or maynot have their place in his build...

Greg, basicly what you want to do by cleaning the castings up is fine, just be careful not to break into a pushrod tunnel. Reason I posted the valve job pics is because that's where alot of flow is gained, and then blending the bottom cut into the bowl.
Next big power maker is the camshaft.
Are you coming down to the shop? I have some Hemi stuff in if you want to check it out

Brian, I will try and get down there soon! Thanks Brian Jerry and Alex, the pics and other input will help someone, its all good
I know that no particular head and porting combo will be best for all apps, but from my limited knowledge, figure the small port, slightly tricked up 5.7 heads make the most sense for what I am doing. Carbed, street converter with moderate stall speed of under 3500 rpm. Now on the other hand, if I had a BIG stroker, and FI, I would think the newer heads are better based on the fact that the factory thinks so too! With out actually putting it in the original title, that is some of what I had hoped to learn more about. What works where, and how well.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 12:03 AM

I relied with my tips and tricks of hand porting heads. Greg, The reason I stated "don't take any material of the floor of the exhaust port" is when I lost flow #'s. I think most head builder's would call this a point of diminishing returns? You will pick up 8-10 cfm on the exhaust side by ovating/D shaping the 5.7 Hemi exhaust port to match a round flange header vs a square flange.

Attached picture 7578002-08no2mods1017.jpg

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 01:25 AM

Quote:

Is that opened up to a 6.1 gasket size?

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? *DELETED* *DELETED* - 02/07/13 01:27 AM

Post deleted by MattW

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Port matched to an aftermarket 5.7 header gasket.

Attached picture 7578200-08no2mods1046.jpg

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 04:57 AM

okay, here's the intake of my home hacked 5.7 heads

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

okay, here's the intake of my home hacked 5.7 heads

Nice job! Throw those on a bench and I bet they flow over 300 cfm @ .600" lift with stock valves.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

Nice job! Throw those on a bench and I bet they flow over 300 cfm @ .600" lift with stock valves.

Thanks! Coming from a 3G guru such as yourself, that's gonna make my head swell, thinking I should go into the porting business!

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. Port matched to an aftermarket 5.7 header gasket.

Sorry It was the picture of the intake. Can't figure out how to repost someone else picture.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/07/13 05:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks! Coming from a 3G guru such as yourself, that's gonna make my head swell, thinking I should go into the porting business!

well, judging from the Vizard article, ahalf-stoned trained monkey should be able to get 300cfm out of a gen1 5.7 head

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/08/13 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

well, judging from the Vizard article, ahalf-stoned trained monkey should be able to get 300cfm out of a gen1 5.7 head

Gotta link?
Posted By: patrick

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/08/13 04:06 PM

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginem...ew/viewall.html

posted above...the money quote

"We spent a day and a half on the flow bench in an effort to find out what this head does or does not like in the way of port mods. We are sure there is much still to come, especially with some bigger valves, but we did find what it took to produce, at 600 thousandths lift, some 302 cfm on the intake and 195 cfm on the exhaust. As the nearby photos show the work to achieve this proved simple. In essence, the porting involves little more than just tidying up what Chrysler's engineers provided in the first place (great job guys)."

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/08/13 05:28 PM

Link no worky.

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/08/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

Link no worky.

See my link earlier in this thread to the same article. Post #7577559

Re: Home porting 5.7 hemi heads for Dummies? - 02/08/13 10:46 PM

Thanks for the link. I just read it and their numbers were almost itentical to mine. I found that the stock ports and valves flowed 268/160 @ .600" and after a simple pocket port job mine flowed 298/198 @ .600". Later I took those same heads, ovated the exhaust port, installed 2.08" int 1.62" exh valves with a good valve job and they flowed 319/229 @ .600" with 345 fps port velocity on the int side and my mid lift numbers were in the mid 70%'s with the exh to int ratio's. These heads have great, snappy throttle response, then I added the blower
© 2024 Moparts Forums