Moparts

AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES

Posted By: J_GAMALA

AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 05:50 AM

im getting ready to up grade the frt brakes on my
Duster, which is better Wilwood or aerospace components? why?
Posted By: EDDIEB

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 01:24 PM

I think either one would do the job,it really comes to price and the looks. I have Aerospace on mine and I am looking to upgrade the rear,I looked at both and it looks like I will go with Aerospace.
I had wilwood calipers and called them to get the rest of the parts and they wanted more for brackets and rotors then I could buy a whole kit for so it will be Aerospace they were alittle cheaper and the coustumer service was way better.
EDDIE B
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 03:19 PM

Why limit yourself to those 2 companies.What is the usage going to be ,track only,,,,,street & strip????????
When I bought front dico's,I ended up with the std SSBC kit with 4 piston calipers for my mostly street driven 3800+ lb junk.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 03:26 PM

You have a point Al,but SSBC is usually more costly and if your going to upgrade to aftermarket brakes,why not save a little weight.Any time you can save weight that is made to rotate by the engine or power train is like taking 2X+ the carried weight of a vehicle.
Unsprung Vs sprung.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 03:31 PM

Bob,the reason I bring it up is some of thosr light weight race set ups don't do well in the street with brake fade and rotor warpage.A few lbs did not make a difference with my heavy car.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 04:19 PM

Do we have any aerospace dealers here at moparts?

It looks like wilwood doesnt offer a kit for 67-72 disc spindle.
Only for 9 and 10" drum spindle.
Sorry to highjack but does anyone know how much weight could be saved going from stock 4 piston discs to an aftermarket vented kit?
Posted By: moparniac

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 04:31 PM

Quote:

Why limit yourself to those 2 companies.What is the usage going to be ,track only,,,,,street & strip????????

last I saw Lutz ran strange for dragweek...

10:30 in the vid you can see them! hey if it's good enough for them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUaETp3T28
Posted By: sshemi

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 04:40 PM

Strange doesnt offer a vented rotor but i dont know what the op is looking for?

I have the strange kit for my racecar but havnt driven it yet.
But by the looks its super nice. Fair price also and drdiff is a strange dealer and he is my favorite dealer.
Posted By: J_GAMALA

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 07:13 PM

i did not know strange has brake kits im looking to save weight and its a 73 Duster thanks

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 08:00 PM

Lutz is "race" brakes non vented but it worked for him on drag week at 200 mph so it was good enough for me to buy! Also Larry Larson runs "race" brakes on the street also... Them guys have no problem and Larson even commented on a post when I asked about "race" brakes! Lots run them and yea with strange you lose weight for sure... Who am I to argue with them guys so I have them now front and rear. The main thing everyone seems to say is just don't constant brake them hard all the time. No problems for me but good luck with whatever you choose Mike Roth is a dealer on here for strange.
Posted By: ROSSIO

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/27/13 10:26 PM

i run "strange" brakes on my dart,front & rear,the fit was great
no problems with seting them up.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 12:28 AM

"Strange doesnt offer a vented rotor"

Strange does offer "slotted rotors" http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html
Pretty much the same thing
Mike
Posted By: ProSport

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 02:23 AM

When I first got my old purple 69 Dart the front wheels stuck out too far and rubbed the fenders. I was told that it was because of the Wilwood disc brakes.
I bought a different offset front wheel, skinnier front runner tire, and still had to trim the fender lip.
I would avoid Wilwood for this reason, but there are ways around it such as a different front spindle I was told. Alot of guys run Wilwoods.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 02:36 AM

I just put Strange front brakes on my car also. Got them from Bobsprofab!
Posted By: cgall

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 03:24 AM

I bought my car turn key in '93 and it was a '72 with factory discs, had no idea if it was original or converted. Aerospace recommended sending them a spindle and they would set up the kit for what I had. The set-up they sent me bolted on without any problems, and they also drilled both small and large bolt patterns in the hubs so I could use my small bolt pattern wheels.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 03:42 AM

Got Strange front disc on 71 Dart and 71 Demon...very nice brakes.
Posted By: mshred

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 05:34 AM

Quote:

Lutz is "race" brakes non vented but it worked for him on drag week at 200 mph so it was good enough for me to buy! Also Larry Larson runs "race" brakes on the street also... Them guys have no problem and Larson even commented on a post when I asked about "race" brakes! Lots run them and yea with strange you lose weight for sure... Who am I to argue with them guys so I have them now front and rear. The main thing everyone seems to say is just don't constant brake them hard all the time. No problems for me but good luck with whatever you choose Mike Roth is a dealer on here for strange.

Sledge, have you street driven yours much since the install? How much of a weight savings up front over stock discs? how bout out back over drums?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 05:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sledge, have you street driven yours much since the install? How much of a weight savings up front over stock discs? how bout out back over drums?

I bought the Strange set up for my Rampage"race"
to go along with the struts

Attached picture 7564295-120531_1102a-w640-h479.jpg

Re: AFTER MARKET DISC BRAKES - 01/28/13 10:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well I used to have exact weights... I sold the stocks (minus spindle) so I had the weight in the box from strange and the weight of the box I shipped from my stock stuff plus I weighed them seperate anyway! I think strange claims 36lbs over stock up front and that held true when I weighed the stuff but on the rears I had dr. diff stuff already so lost 10/11lbs there over the DR. stuff but im sure much more over drums... and yes no problems on the street excessive hard and constant braking is what kills the thinner rotors but hey lutz and larson run race brakes with no problems so they sold me on them and glad I got them! I didn't buy the wilwoods from what prosport bob posted in the past cause on hard turns the tread on the wheel would just catch the fender molding and I didn't want the wheel out any further... on hard landings at thr track or a bad pothole I could see the tire busting up the fender.. so I got the strange and when I got new wheels went from 1.75" to 2.25" backspace and smaller tires and all works well now with no issues at all! Strange rotor are more expensive to replace over wilwood would be downside I guess but oh well i'm not busting up my front fenders... And as rossio said real easy install for strange and on the wilwoods I've seen guys wirelock all the bolts in that hold the rotor on.

© 2024 Moparts Forums