Moparts

champion vs. NGK sparkplugs

Posted By: Sammy

champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 02:46 PM

Any difference in performance between the 2 sparkplug manufacturers?
Champion szparkplugs are nearly 3 times the price.
I was looking to buy a set of Champion C59CX
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 02:53 PM

I have run all kinds of plugs Autolite, N G K , Chapions, Denso, Pulsar, etc.
Some will say they have seen some performance gains, ,, I haven't so long as it the same plug heat range.
Normaly that is the issue, plus contamination thru the combustion mix that will be the leading cause of issues with plugs,
So guys will change plugs and heat ranges to compensate for such issues.
Besides be amazed as to who makes most plugs anyways!
Posted By: Crizila

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 04:23 PM

Quote:

I have run all kinds of plugs Autolite, N G K , Chapions, Denso, Pulsar, etc.
Some will say they have seen some performance gains, ,, I haven't so long as it the same plug heat range.
Normaly that is the issue, plus contamination thru the combustion mix that will be the leading cause of issues with plugs,
So guys will change plugs and heat ranges to compensate for such issues.
Besides be amazed as to who makes most plugs anyways!

but I like NGK. I think their manufacturing quality control is better than Champion and others. Ground straps are always positioned the same over the electrodes and gaps are always consistant right out of the box.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 04:32 PM

The only difference is the cut back strap vs the
standard strap... a few HP has been seen running
the cut back strap on dynos
EDIT
I changed over to Autolite race plugs with the cut
back strap
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 04:58 PM

I worked in many tune up shops. Changed a LOT of plugs...
There are some that swear by Champion, and they are stock on Mopars for many years.
I dislike them. They had poor QA and tended to foul easier than Autolite and NGK.
The porcelain was more brittle and would break easier too.
Posted By: Eric

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 05:07 PM

Autolite
Posted By: tboomer

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

Used Autolite

Fixed it for ya,Eric!!!
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 05:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Used Autolite

Fixed it for ya,Eric!!!

Perfect!!!!

Russ
Posted By: jamesc

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 05:47 PM

i prefer autolite
Posted By: tvt59

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 05:50 PM

If it's the right plug for the application and the car is tuned right. It dosent matted what you put in it. They only know to spark. I always used Champion in my braket cars because everybody else said they were junk. I was winning 15-20 braket races a year and using the same plugs sometimes for two seasons. While my friends and competators sometimes changed theirs weekly.
Posted By: Duner

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 06:27 PM

I run the cheap Autolite plugs. I found no difference between the plugs for performance or longevity - and my heap EATS plugs. So I just buy the cheap ones. I do however have to purposely screw-up the threads to keep the little connector "nibs" from coming loose.

Autolite 3923s FTW!
Posted By: 540dust

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 06:56 PM

I prefer NGK or Autolite.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 07:17 PM

Buy a set of NGK, Autolites and Champion and try them one at a time and then decide. I use different brands and type and heat range for my motors. Tell us a little about your motor, compression ratio, iron or aluminum head and type fo fuel ad the planned usage, IE race only, street and and strip, street only.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 07:30 PM

Used to use Champions until they discontinued the J-11Y. I've been using NGK's and seem to do the best in my junk.Dave
Posted By: Crizila

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 07:41 PM

Quote:

EDIT
back strap

NGK race plugs ( non-resister ) come out of the box with the ground straps cut back.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 07:46 PM

NGK's in a street 440(subjected to a lot of heat, idle time, and fluctuating humidity)since day one(20+years)...
Posted By: MPerry

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 07:53 PM

I've been using NGK only because I was having issues with the Champions fouling out.
I'm surprised to see a few Autolite fans. I'm used to seeing most mopar guys swear at them. They do tend to live a bit longer though.
Posted By: Von

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 08:33 PM

NGK or Autolite.

On dirt cars, Ive seen Champions blow the porcelain out on a few occasions. Only seen it happen to Champions.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 09:50 PM

Quote:

NGK or Autolite.

On dirt cars, Ive seen Champions blow the porcelain out on a few occasions. Only seen it happen to Champions.

Same deal on marine engines,
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 10:15 PM

I have seen champion's do the same thing on a drag car. I use NGK's
Posted By: 383man

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/13/13 10:59 PM

Champions in my sons Dart and Autolite race plugs in my 63. Ron
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 01:39 AM

I run Denso iridium plugs in my street/strip engine,I just put them in when I built the engine a few thousand miles ago and they have performed perfect ever since I just carried one of my new heads into the parts department at work and found a set that fit perfect and screwed them in I don't even know the heat range I just know they work
Gus

Attached picture 7545639-greggspicofmycar.JPG
Posted By: racerx

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 01:48 AM

After i found that champions were hard to get in my area i switch to the NGK's they sell them everywhere here
Posted By: Eric

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 02:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Used Autolite

Fixed it for ya,Eric!!!

Perfect!!!!

Russ

Repurposed...
Posted By: jamesc

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 04:02 AM

i just recently saw that autolite moved their manufacturing to china? can anyone confirm or deny this? i use their race plugs and if they're being made in china will no longer use them i will be using NGK assuming they're still made in japan
Posted By: sogtx

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 04:45 AM

Quote:

i just recently saw that autolite moved their manufacturing to china? can anyone confirm or deny this? i use their race plugs and if they're being made in china will no longer use them i will be using NGK assuming they're still made in japan

Posted By: skrews

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 09:54 AM

Quote:

I heard that to. I think I'll be running NGK now.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 05:22 PM

Quote:

EDIT
back strap

I think the cut back straps is what makes the Champion & Autolite race plugs better! Champion C59CX-Autolite AR3934
Posted By: scottb

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 06:32 PM

They moved to mexico 2 yrs ago you can ask bondobob about all the junk coming out of mexico he used to work for autolight until they moved to mexico he told me they threw away like 1 million plugs out on there frist few runs just junk
Posted By: therocks

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/14/13 06:44 PM

Ive run Autolites since the 60s.Had them in my built 440 with 12.5 compression.Id get a miss after a few hundred miles.Went to NGKs and they have been in 4 years.No problems.Put a set in my wifes PT and took the Champions out.It runs better with the NGKs.Rocky
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 03:55 AM

I thought Autolite moved to Mexico or China years ago? I quit the moment I picked up a set that no longer was made in the USA. Been using NGK ever since. Denso has been good in some cars. Japan > China.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 04:20 AM

Quote:

I thought Autolite moved to Mexico or China years ago? I quit the moment I picked up a set that no longer was made in the USA. Been using NGK ever since. Denso has been good in some cars. Japan > China.

I dont want to change the subject BUT is Japan any
different than China or Mexico... its all the same
OFF SHORE(if you will) and I dont know any made here
Posted By: mopartoby

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 04:28 AM

Quote:

NGK or Autolite.

Easy........ Im not a champion fan but a common problem with the ford 5.4's and v10's is that exact problem. Doesn't matter what plug you throw at them.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 04:56 AM

In my 40 years of wrenching I've only had a few (probably about six) porcelain
Towers break while I was pulling plugs. Every one of them was a Champion.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 02:41 PM

I have used the Champion race plugs, they were ok but rather expensive. I was using the Bosch plugs from the MP catalog until they stopped selling them and I couldn't find them anywhere else. I then switched to NGK and have been using them with great success since.

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 07:44 PM

Bosch are probally the biggest POS Ive ever seen.In 30 years as a tech I cant count how many I had to change because they ran like crap.Seems parts stores like to sell them because they get a kick back from the compant to sell them.I had a firend that brought his SBC into the shop with a miss.I pulled his 8 buck each Boschs out and put ACs in.Ran great after that.Thats not the only one that wouldnt run with them.If you ran good on them go play the lottery.You are lucky.Rocky
Posted By: tvt59

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 08:33 PM

As far as I know Champion is the only plug co. to make a one piece plug for the 5.4 ford that won't break off in the head when you take them out. The bottom shell will break off of most of them. Even the motorcraft and autolite's are two piece.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/15/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Bosch are probally the biggest POS Ive ever seen.In 30 years as a tech I cant count how many I had to change because they ran like crap.Seems parts stores like to sell them because they get a kick back from the compant to sell them.I had a firend that brought his SBC into the shop with a miss.I pulled his 8 buck each Boschs out and put ACs in.Ran great after that.Thats not the only one that wouldnt run with them.If you ran good on them go play the lottery.You are lucky.Rocky

Well they were the race plugs not the regular parts store crap.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/16/13 08:03 AM

I started using the Champion C63YC Race plug that cost about $8.00 each, and when I could not get any locally, tried the NGK plugs R5672a-8 and they worked as well or better and only cost $2.00 each.
I have used these plugs in the B-1 B/S heads (11:1 compression) and Edelbrock Victor heads (12.4:1 comp.) In my 505 street engine (10.3:1 comp) with stealth heads, I had to use a hotter plug NGK BKR6E-11, which seems to be working good so far.

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/16/13 02:16 PM

451 Im with you.The Autolite race plugs were pricey.the NGKs at shop cost was under 15 bucks for 8.As for Bosch race or other wise they are junk as far as Im concerned.If I had a dollar for every one that I had to change because they were missing or having a rough run Id be pretty rich.In 30 years they were the only plug at the shop that we changed all the time because they just didnt work.Rocky
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/16/13 02:33 PM

Quote:

I just got a set of Autolites for my Jeep a month or so ago, and the plug quality was not what I expected at all. They were definitely Chinese sourced.

NGK for me from now on.
Posted By: ccarson

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/16/13 03:00 PM

Of all the plug manufactures Champion,Autolite,AC, Nippon Denso,Bosch ect. I Used them all.

cheap plain 2.00 non-coated NGK were the most consistent and is what I currently use.

that being said I think my MSD box would fire a lawn mower plug in a bucket of water.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/16/13 07:39 PM

Quote:

I started using the Champion C63YC Race plug that cost about $8.00 each, and when I could not get any locally, tried the NGK plugs R5672a-8 and they worked as well or better and only cost $2.00 each.
I have used these plugs in the B-1 B/S heads (11:1 compression) and Edelbrock Victor heads (12.4:1 comp.) In my 505 street engine (10.3:1 comp) with stealth heads, I had to use a hotter plug NGK BKR6E-11, which seems to be working good so far.

I'm under the impression that on all NGK plugs the last number or two numbers tell you the heat range, the bigger the number the colder the plug, IE the -8 is hotter than the -11
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/16/13 11:08 PM

That is right Cab.. I have 7 in my.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/17/13 01:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm under the impression that on all NGK plugs the last number or two numbers tell you the heat range, the bigger the number the colder the plug, IE the -8 is hotter than the -11

I think that the last number is the heat range for the race plugs. In the standard resitsor type plugs, the last number defines the spark plug gap from the factory. For the BKR6E-11, the plug gap is 0.044", the heat range is the "6".
I found this link when looking up the hotter plug:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/design_symbols_plugs.pdf

Race plug chart:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/RacingSpecs2010.pdf

The hottest 3/4" reach 14mm plug they list is a heat range 7, that is why I went to the standard resistor plug.

Oops, forgot to add, the reason I went with the 0.044" gap is I am running a Crane HI-6 ignition box on the car and the instructions recommends a 0.045" gap.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: champion vs. NGK sparkplugs - 01/17/13 01:58 AM

Monte always says to run NGK..

I run NGK-- No Good Kind..

Chris..
© 2024 Moparts Forums