Moparts

Index racing

Posted By: 65 Hemi

Index racing - 12/30/12 06:37 PM

Anybody here index race? I'm going to try 6.00 and 7.00 1/8 mile no electronics in OKC/TX this year with 2 cars.

First time- What should I look out for or be aware of?

Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 06:45 PM

I`m going to try it this year also,11.50 index. I run Street Eliminator ( 11.50 -19.99) and can set the car to go consistent 11.50s but Street is on a full tree and 11.50 index is on a Pro tree. That will be the difference for me as I`ve always ran on a full tree. Racing two classes on the same day will be interesting.

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 06:53 PM

Quote:

I`m going to try it this year also,11.50 index. I run Street Eliminator ( 11.50 -19.99) and can set the car to go consistent 11.50s but Street is on a full tree and 11.50 index is on a Pro tree. That will be the difference for me as I`ve always ran on a full tree. Racing two classes on the same day will be interesting.

Wife or friend will help or drive one of the cars.
Posted By: Dart Racer

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 07:14 PM

I race a 10.50 Index class and one of the things that I realized pretty quickly is that it is a lot harder to run the same number every time with changing conditions than just changing the number on the windshield. I'd keep good records of each run with conditions and what changes you made to maintain the index. Data is king. I also went to one of the under carb manual restrictors to make those small changes required by changing condititons. I choose the ET Genie and in conjunction with Crew Cheif Pro predictor software can predict within .004 what the car will run after I put in the weather changes since last run.

Also would suggest that you make sure you car is exactly the same from run to run. IE; keep same amount of gas, tire pressure, etc. Even try to make sure the engine temp is the same at launch each time. I go so far as to warm the car up in the early rounds so that in the later rounds when you don't have time to cool between rounds the engine will launch at the saem temp. Remember you are looking for consistency not the quickest ET.

My .02 worth.....
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 07:16 PM

That's about all I do with the Valiant. Its a blast and as hard to win at as any bracket race.

The tree is the key!

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 07:22 PM

Quote:

I race a 10.50 Index class and one of the things that I realized pretty quickly is that it is a lot harder to run the same number every time with changing conditions than just changing the number on the windshield. I'd keep good records of each run with conditions and what changes you made to maintain the index. Data is king. I also went to one of the under carb manual restrictors to make those small changes required by changing condititons. I choose the ET Genie and in conjunction with Crew Cheif Pro predictor software can predict within .004 what the car will run after I put in the weather changes since last run.

Also would suggest that you make sure you car is exactly the same from run to run. IE; keep same amount of gas, tire pressure, etc. Even try to make sure the engine temp is the same at launch each time. I go so far as to warm the car up in the early rounds so that in the later rounds when you don't have time to cool between rounds the engine will launch at the saem temp. Remember you are looking for consistency not the quickest ET.

My .02 worth.....

Thanks for the input.
I was a et chaser for many years but it seams like everyone is good so fast now days. There is not much satisfaction in et chasing any more.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 07:43 PM

Good Luck! As others have said, data & consistency is the key & when racing guys that are SERIOUS about it, that means you'll be racing what I call an "electronic car" --throttle stops, timers, ignition retards, active suspension, transbrakes, are all part of the "game" & for those of us that like running all out or seeing just how good a driver REALLY is the leectrics (IMO) take all the fun out of it. If it still appeals to you, plan on spending at least $1,500 on upgrades, less the data recorder......
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 08:14 PM

All we really do around here is index race. The only problem is getting your car to run the number in the first place. I have a buddy with a car that will run 6.16 and he spent all year and $26,000 (rebuilt the motor twice and changed the converter 9 times) trying to get it to run 6.0. If he would have run the 6.50 class (we have one of those here) he would have had an easy (and inexpensive) year. But noooo, you know drag racers, they always want to go faster. 6.0 and 7.0 are popular. 6.0 takes a lot of power and eats parts. 7.0 is cheaper and easier to make hook up. Index racing is great and you are still set up for bracket racing if you want to do that.

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 08:28 PM

.......And that's the problem with index racing! For 26k he could've built a different car, or, as you said, simply slowed down & saved quite a few bucks. The problem, as I see it, is that any racer naturally wants to build the best stuff he can, then he has worry about SLOWING the car down or he LOSES?!?! .......
NO THANKS!
I'll build my junk MY way then worry about who I "please" with it. Will I win trophies and/or money? Probably not. But I also won't get fingered for sandbagging, relying on electronics or penalized for for building a fast car..
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 08:44 PM

You need to be able to run under your index to be competitive in all weather. I would slow my car down for 10.0 index, the best motor pass my car has made was 9.55. I like index racing because you get to leave together and race the whole track together. And be prepared for a lot of finish line games. Also throttle stops are not allowed around hear for index racing.

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

You need to be able to run under your index to be competitive in all weather. I would slow my car down for 10.0 index, the best motor pass my car has made was 9.55. I like index racing because you get to leave together and race the whole track together. And be prepared for a lot of finish line games. Also throttle stops are not allowed around hear for index racing.

No throttle stops here either. My 6.00 car is a 64 dodge round tube from fire wall back with a Bobs pro fab front end, with a 580 B1MC motor that makes 1150 hp. It should make enough steam for 6.00. My 7.00 car is a 65 Dodge with cal tracs, bobs pro fab coil over front end , 446 11:1 with victor heads. Both cars are all steel with OEM glass.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 09:33 PM

You guys do realize index racing is just a bracket race that someone picks your dial for you, right?

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

You guys do realize index racing is just a bracket race that someone picks your dial for you, right?

yes but you can't change your dial in or just just click a few #s in your E-box as the conditions change. It a little more fun when the driver needs to change or tuning needs to change with no E.

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 10:03 PM

Same here chased E.T.s for years , now the car is slowed down about a second with a modified Moroso mechanical ( adjustable bolt) stop. Never had a problem dialing the car I can adjust for slower and faster with a 7/16 wrench. I looked at the E.T. Genie and the other one with a dial to adjust the plates but wasn`t sold on them. I have my setup pretty well set after 4 years/ seasons of running this way. My past 4 seasons have been the best in my racing career with more Wins and rounds won than the previous 20 plus.Being one of the fastest cars in the class does have its advantages. BTW I`m running the same car (11secdart) in both classes on the same day. Also no electronics are allowed except transbrake and/or two step.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 10:40 PM

I've won more than my share of N/SS races. That meant foot brake and no electronics. The ability to keep accurate data is one element. The ability to use that data to dial the car in a few days of changing weather and track conditions is another. We were usually able to keep the car with-in .01 of the index (10.50). If the track was very poor we'd back of to 11.0. Learn those two things,cut a consistent light,drive the finish line, add some luck and you'll be set.
Doug

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 11:25 PM

So the "secret" to index racing is sandbagging! Gee, that's alot of fun! I've raced S/ST, S/G & S/C, and None of it was much fun to say nothing of the cars that wrecked when guys tried to hammer the brakes so as not to break-out.
Nope, still haven't shown me where being a given e.t. then being punished (aka losing) for doing just what racing IS, is all that much fun...
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 11:27 PM

Quote:

Heds up racing is what?

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 11:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Heds up racing is what?

No dial in and no breakout. 2 things you have in index racing.

I think index racing is a hoot, but it is still bracket racing.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Index racing - 12/30/12 11:56 PM

I race the easy stuff...S/R S/G....heck all I do is show up and collect cash and a trophy...the car does the rest...
Posted By: oldtimer5151

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 12:08 AM

Are electronics,throttle stops, etc. allowed in North Star?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 01:11 AM

Our index races are on a Pro Tree. Takes the delay box out of most peoples equations. And you leave at the same time. Heads up index race. But, you still sandbag if you are fast. Which if you want a winning combo you need a car that can run .2-.3 under in good weather.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 01:15 AM

Quote:

So the "secret" to index racing is sandbagging! Gee, that's alot of fun! I've raced S/ST, S/G & S/C, and None of it was much fun to say nothing of the cars that wrecked when guys tried to hammer the brakes so as not to break-out.
Nope, still haven't shown me where being a given e.t. then being punished (aka losing) for doing just what racing IS, is all that much fun...

I don't think you understood. The car would run the index with-in .01 without the brakes. Any bracket racer that can't drive the finish line doesn't go very far. I'd love to run heads up, just can't afford it. Heck I'm in over my head now if I break something. I've raced heads up as well. Tell me how much fun it is to line up next to a car that's .5 faster than you?
Doug

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 01:30 AM

Quote:

Are electronics,throttle stops, etc. allowed in North Star?

This year in Oklahoma and maybe Denton they are going to have index racing with no electronics.

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 01:43 AM

Quote:

Except as I stated early you leave at the same time and race pretty much door handle too door handle all the way down. I like it a lot better then racing a lot faster or slower car.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Except as I stated early you leave at the same time and race pretty much door handle too door handle all the way down. I like it a lot better then racing a lot faster or slower car.

Back in the 60's index racing was called bracket racing and the divisions were usually 3/4 of a second ( 11.75 to 12.50, etc.) If you could run somewhere within .25 of the breakout, you were usually competitive. Today, you better be within .03. I like to go as fast as I can when I'm a the track, which is why I perfer todays "you dial it" bracket racing.

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 03:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you understood. The car would run the index with-in .01 without the brakes. Any bracket racer that can't drive the finish line doesn't go very far. I'd love to run heads up, just can't afford it. Heck I'm in over my head now if I break something. I've raced heads up as well. Tell me how much fun it is to line up next to a car that's .5 faster than you?
Doug

A very good point. The problem, & NHRA won't do anything about it,is that you have guys running S/C cars in S/ST ( for example) & you're now stuck with running a 150+mph car that can literally crawl down the track until the last possible second then fly by you (while you're WOT) at 150+ or more & he "wins"?!?!?! . I can't see that as much fun, either. I've been on both sides of that "fence" & it's none too gratifying.
IMO, perhaps the best thing to do is what "crizilla" mentioned & cut the brackets down to within .50 of each other, eliminate ALL electronics & limit the mph. That would make it more affordable, more dependent on the driver & eliminate (for the most part) cars that greatly out-class their competitors...

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

A very good point. The problem, & NHRA won't do anything about it,is that you have guys running S/C cars in S/ST ( for example) & you're now stuck with running a 150+mph car that can literally crawl down the track until the last possible second then fly by you (while you're WOT) at 150+ or more & he "wins"?!?!?! . I can't see that as much fun, either. I've been on both sides of that "fence" & it's none too gratifying.
IMO, perhaps the best thing to do is what "crizilla" mentioned & cut the brackets down to within .50 of each other, eliminate ALL electronics & limit the mph. That would make it more affordable, more dependent on the driver & eliminate (for the most part) cars that greatly out-class their competitors...

Or just go index racing were you race cars of the same et and no electronics.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:13 AM

Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:22 AM

Quote:

I race the easy stuff...S/R S/G....heck all I do is show up and collect cash and a trophy...the car does the rest...

So Easy a Cave Man can do it.....right Eric....lol

Rickster
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:52 AM

Quote:

You better stick with your T&T... then you'll be happy
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:26 PM

I have done some index racing and I thought it was a real hoot. I tried to tune the car to run the number. That way I didn't have to do so much thinking at the finish line. Puts a little more pressure on you at the starting line but it is the way I like to race.

The other advantage of index racing is it is fun for the spectator to watch and does a much better job of filling the stands.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:32 PM

You want pictures.

If you are going to index race. Get a vehicle that shortens the track 22 inches.

A day in GA that was so cold that it made MR P-Body feel right at home.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:52 PM

Well I am another one of those .90 racers. It is amazing how easy it is. Just punch in some numbers show up and collect the monies and trophies.

Oh wait I get the double dung fling. I also have one of those "fast" cars so Mr Hemicop must really love me
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 04:56 PM

There's some talk of having a little series in the North Louisiana area with about 4 index classes. One thing that may make this different is that throttle stops will be allowed. That will create some very close races.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 05:59 PM

Quote:

Our index races are on a Pro Tree. Takes the delay box out of most peoples equations. And you leave at the same time. Heads up index race. But, you still sandbag if you are fast. Which if you want a winning combo you need a car that can run .2-.3 under in good weather.

Exactly that: Much more than a couple tenths under and it gets hard to judge at the other end.(for me)

I love pro tree!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 06:18 PM

everytime I look into it it seems I'm either to slow or too fast for a class. I missed 7.50 1/8 and an 11.50 by a day. Those I could manage, but it seems when I show up all they run are 6.0/6.50 1/8 and 10.50 1/4. Oh well maybe next year w/ the NO2....
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: Index racing - 12/31/12 07:47 PM

First, gotta make the car react. Work on reaction time, because the person with the best reaction "should" win. Or, it is his/her race to lose.
Next, know what it takes to run the number.

Now, know what it takes to make the race look different and still run the number. (spot drop)
You will know most of the time who left first, and if it wasn't you all you can do is follow the other guy down the track and hope he screws up. OR, you can make the race look different by blowing by him early and dropping him later, and hopefully pushing him out. Because if he tree'd you, the only ways you can win is if he goes under, gives it back or can't cover.
Even if you dont play games, you need to recognize when someone is doing it to you. And if bottles are allowed, don't bail on someone too soon.
Just some things to think about, seat time will help. Get out there and have some fun.

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 07:53 AM

Quote:

Well I am another one of those .90 racers. It is amazing how easy it is. Just punch in some numbers show up and collect the monies and trophies.

Oh wait I get the double dung fling. I also have one of those "fast" cars so Mr Hemicop must really love me

Believe it or not, I HAVE seen you run in Vegas & am impressed by your car. My gripe about index racing is what's been said for decades----why build a fast car when you get penalized for it? My S/C Altered is a "fast" (your quotes) car & I really don't like sitting for 2,3, or more seconds waiting for my light then have to worry about breaking out or him dynamiting the brakes & possibly causing a wreck. Modern electronics takes the driver out of the equation, to a point, so why would I want to run all of THAT stuff? Yes, my car has a throttle-stop on it (I've disconnected it) but that's it as far as "electrics" go. I've resigned myself to running nostalgia stuff or the occassional grudge type stuff against friends. I just think we (racers) have given up too much to technology.....

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 08:32 AM

I disagree on the electronics part. From my experience it is just not the case. They just become one more variable that can end up costing you a race by missing something.

i have a number of freinds and customers that run the .60 stuff out here. They are doing the same as many .90 guys. They have cars that are capable of going well under the index and generally are holding a good deal. Since some of the santioning bodies out here allow them many use a power adder for the MPH as well in the faster classes. many of those same guys also run boxes/stops in the brackets and .90 stuff as well in the same car.

I have heard the arguement many times that electronics takes the driver out of the equation. It is an age old debate. A good driver is a good driver period. Adding electronics does not make one good period. You either can drive a racecar or cant. There is no "magic" box that makes you a better driver.

Then there is the I dont like elctronics. Yet many of those guys, at least the ones I know love to complain that the non electronic brackets paying less than the electronic stuff. My answer has always been put in a box and come take the money. Entry is usually the same at a local bracket deal and most tracks especially out here pay much beter in the electronics classes.

I do understand not wanting to be on the stop forever, or at all. it is not for everyone and IMO is a highly competitive form of racing. But there is no rule saying you have to. Just a matter of how you choose to race that given index. Slow, in the middle or fast, your option.

As for bombing the brakes. I think you will find that most EVERYONE who has a good deal of success in any bracket is doing this. I know of people who think well I will kill the tree and run the number and will win. Well I think we both know that dont work so well. As previously pointed out here making the race look different to the opponent will throw doubt into most racers minds.

Thn there are the guys who always do the same thing. Another tactic that just dont work for long. Once people figure out your habits you will be very beatable. I chagne things up all the time. Dial honest, dial under by a bit, by a bunch or even dial over. They all work, provided you are consistent and your car is dialable and repeatable and you can trust it. Thing is the other guy never knows what you are doing that way. At the Sportsnationals for instance I actually dialed substantially over the number. Knowing my two opponents in those rounds overwhelming tendancy to hold a fair amount and the fact that I held as well in our previous encounters. I chose to hit the tree and run it out. All this info goes in my logbook.

I am a firm believer that if you are going to be running in index stuff and want to be succesful the best weapon to have is knowledge. Knowledge of conditions, your car, yourself, and most importantly your opponent. Knowledge is KING in index racing.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 03:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Believe it or not, I HAVE seen you run in Vegas & am impressed by your car. My gripe about index racing is what's been said for decades----why build a fast car when you get penalized for it? My S/C Altered is a "fast" (your quotes) car & I really don't like sitting for 2,3, or more seconds waiting for my light then have to worry about breaking out or him dynamiting the brakes & possibly causing a wreck. Modern electronics takes the driver out of the equation, to a point, so why would I want to run all of THAT stuff? Yes, my car has a throttle-stop on it (I've disconnected it) but that's it as far as "electrics" go. I've resigned myself to running nostalgia stuff or the occassional grudge type stuff against friends. I just think we (racers) have given up too much to technology.....

there are two types of drag racing, bracket and heads up. being you clearly don't like bracket racing tell us about your heads up car and how it fares against the competition

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

there are two types of drag racing, bracket and heads up. being you clearly don't like bracket racing tell us about your heads up car and how it fares against the competition

The Super Classes .90 are IMHO the most competitive challenging racing going on today

Rickster

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 06:22 PM

100% with that statement. that is the reason we race there.

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

The Super Classes .90 are IMHO the most competitive challenging racing going on today

there's nothing to it you just put the numbers in the boxes and they do the rest...everyone knows that

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

there's nothing to it you just put the numbers in the boxes and they do the rest...everyone knows that

I just set it to run 9.90 @ 168 mph works every time.....

Rickster

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

Then why do half the cars lose every round?

Re: Index racing - 01/01/13 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Then why do half the cars lose every round?

Posted By: Eric

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 01:44 AM

No one is ever going to convince some folks that Throttle Stop racing is either skilled or fun...I'm resolved to that.....I just know better. As far as the spectator thing is concerned...I'm not looking at the stands when I race..

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 02:03 AM

Quote:

No one is ever going to convince some folks that Throttle Stop racing is either skilled or fun...I'm resolved to that.....I just know better. As far as the spectator thing is concerned...I'm not looking at the stands when I race..

I am very convinced that Throttle Stop racing is more difficult. That is why I want index race the next few seasons. I need more margin for error since I will only be able to race 6-7 times next year because of my business.

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 02:39 AM

Quote:

I'm not looking at the stands when I race..

Good thing, cause it's my nap time.

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 06:12 AM

Sure-- a S/C Altered, Big-block Chevy, low 8s in the 170 mph range. Locally there aren't too many big-block Altereds, so I do "okay" if I may say so. The new engine should be even better!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 06:58 AM

The last index race I ran I had to slow my car down, was able to do that and get it to run the number. First round I come up against a guy that was running 2 seconds faster in time trials? what's with that? Well the lights came down, he came out like a rocket, I did cut a good light, he let up and played all the way down the strip keeping inches ahead. He won , I lost by a couple .00 He went on to win that class and another he double entered in. If I was to do that over I would not even tried to get it to run close to the index, just run the run , hit the brakes at the end breaking the other car out. Maybe
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 09:48 AM

Quote:

I have a hard enough time figgerin' out how to keep the car running...

"The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain...."

Attached picture 7529436-Scotty.jpg

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

The last index race I ran I had to slow my car down, was able to do that and get it to run the number. First round I come up against a guy that was running 2 seconds faster in time trials? what's with that? Well the lights came down, he came out like a rocket, I did cut a good light, he let up and played all the way down the strip keeping inches ahead. He won , I lost by a couple .00 He went on to win that class and another he double entered in. If I was to do that over I would not even tried to get it to run close to the index, just run the run , hit the brakes at the end breaking the other car out. Maybe

Scotty Richardson's classes teach how to hold #'s and fender race.....next time around I will be taking that class.....

Rickster
Posted By: MrMopar95

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 02:07 PM

i saw a post about 11.50 index from a new jersey member, anyone know where there will be 11.50 index racing on the East coast in 2013?

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

i saw a post about 11.50 index from a new jersey member, anyone know where there will be 11.50 index racing on the East coast in 2013?

unless things have changed due to the sale Atco runs the 11.50 index 11.50 rules

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

i saw a post about 11.50 index from a new jersey member, anyone know where there will be 11.50 index racing on the East coast in 2013? [/quote

Cecil, atco, englishtown all run 11.50 index
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Index racing - 01/02/13 06:04 PM

No electronics other than tranny brake, driver controls the shifts. 8.00,7.50, and 7.00 indexs, 1/4 mile, .4 Pro Tree, lot's of fun, fast cars.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Index racing - 01/03/13 12:13 AM

Quote:

Scotty Richardson's classes teach how to hold #'s and fender race.....next time around I will be taking that class.....

Rickster

I wonder if he'll teach you about "Matty Boxes"

Chris..

Re: Index racing - 01/03/13 12:19 AM

I`m to try 11.50 index at Raceway Park, I`m running Street Points anyhow I`ll just double enter.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Index racing - 01/03/13 03:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

I wonder if he'll teach you about "Matty Boxes"

I believe this is your second post suggesting Scotty is a cheater. Just wonder if you actually know this or it's just hear say that you are repeating. Without first hand knowledge its a fairly serious accusation with no merit.

Chris..

© 2024 Moparts Forums