Moparts

So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there?

Posted By: TheOtherDodge

So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 03:17 AM

Just a spin off on the mid 9's N/A thread..

Really, what is the difference if you run an ET N/A or with a power adder? Does it feel different? Does it look different going down the track?

Those that say it is easy with a power adder have never really run a power adder to realize you can't just throw it on and go.

And it is much cheaper in the long run and will certainly make it much, much more streetable.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 03:21 AM

As long as you don't cheat and use nitrous!!
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 03:21 AM

NO COMMENT
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 03:22 AM

Winter is ON!!!!
Posted By: dizuster

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 03:31 AM

Who says you can't slap a power adder on and go fast... hell I put a near stock 360 together with the cheapest T-6 turbo I could buy and the car is already in the 10's with a 2.76 gear on no boost and no timing... LOL

Honestly I just sold off my R3/W9 motor for my duster... for the same money I'm building a new twin turbo hemi that will clobber that combo.
Posted By: Headhunter22

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 04:21 AM

How about a brand X motor too? It's cheaper, easier, ...whatever. Just for fun... everybody does have a limit on this topic. I don't care, get there how you get there.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 04:22 AM

Quote:

Winter is ON!!!!

Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 04:22 AM

The thing is if running n/a was just as easy as running a power adder more people would be doing it.U don't go to a big outlaw race and see 3 or 4 different n/a classes.The best part of running n/a is when u go out and make a good pass and have people come back and look under the hood of your car and say that was all motor.If a car runs good anymore people automatically thinks it should have nos.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 04:40 AM

Thank you, James!! Somebody that has always "Got it".
And really, seat of the pants, 10.20 or 9.80? it's all good!
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 04:49 AM

I can leave in 2nd go a 1.40 60' and still run a 8.38 at 172

prochargers TTF!
Posted By: 383man

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 08:04 AM

Makes no matter but you just need to be honest when telling about the combo. I like to know the full combo when I see or read about a car and of course if it has a power adder it makes a big difference on what you think it will run. If a car is turbo or supercharged it makes a big difference on the performance. Its like I dont think my 63 will keep up with a 528 Hemi Dart or a 360 Dart with twin turbo's on it. Ron

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 02:25 PM

After having played with N/A for a while, thinking nitrous is "cheating" I decided to try it... What I found out was that I could run a more "streetable" combination of cam, gears, compression, etc., but run a lot faster. Then I discovered boost by first playing around with a little Powerdyne on my (at the time) daily driver Dakota.

Now with my turbo Dakota, I realize how a little .520/220 hydraulic flat cam with 3.55 gears, 3000 converter and 6,000 rpm shifts can run. And once I can get it to leave off some boost....

To me, if your goal is fast ET, it doesn't matter how you get there...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 02:57 PM

doesn't really matter how you get there. However there is a limit in what a N/A motor can run and still be streetable. For example lots of low 10-high 9 second N/A cars however I wager only a few are a real streetable car. Full Int, wipers, radio, non-big tire can drive it more than 10 miles around town, cars. Most of the driver 9 second cars are going to be boosted just becuase you can add a ton of power w/ zero effects on drivability. You can drive the car 30-40 miles to the track and roll home. Not many 9 second N/A cars are going to do that. While the initail set-up is costly, in the long run it more than pays for itself. Not sure about NO2, but I'm going to find out come spring and I'll let you know... I hoping to drop a second w/ a 150 shot and other off season upgrades...
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 04:44 PM

Quote:

:

WIN!/\

I get sick of people whining about nitrous. It is cheap and easy horsepower up to a point, then, just like everything else, it gets real expensive real fast.

Doesn't matter how you go fast, so long as you have fun doing it.
Posted By: BradH

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 07:20 PM

Quote:

... Doesn't matter how you go fast, so long as you have fun doing it.

And you aren't cheating if there are rules involved...

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 08:46 PM

My problem is I dont want a nice smooth idling eng as I love the rump rump of a solid cam. And NA is about all my budget can afford. Its funny but in the 70's when I had my 340 Dart I just dont remember anyone using power adders back then. I guess the power adders work much better now with the improvements over the years since the 70's. Ron
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 09:17 PM

Quote:

After having played with N/A for a while, thinking nitrous is "cheating" I decided to try it... What I found out was that I could run a more "streetable" combination of cam, gears, compression, etc., but run a lot faster. Then I discovered boost by first playing around with a little Powerdyne on my (at the time) daily driver Dakota.

Now with my turbo Dakota, I realize how a little .520/220 hydraulic flat cam with 3.55 gears, 3000 converter and 6,000 rpm shifts can run. And once I can get it to leave off some boost....

It only matters to those that want to accomplish a set goal using certain parts Like me, high nines on pump gas, motor only through the muffs with the air cleaner on, street legal, full interior, 3450 lbs and very stealthy

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It only matters to those that want to accomplish a set goal using certain parts Like me, high nines on pump gas, motor only through the muffs with the air cleaner on, street legal, full interior, 3450 lbs and very stealthy

Cab, I bet it is a strong and nice looking ride!!!

But, with me having a power added, I bet mine is much more stealthy, especially if I have the AC running and it idling and sounding like stock!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 09:55 PM

Doesnt matter..... when you look at the time slip...
does it say... turbo, spray, n/a.... nope... if you
are bragging about the ET you wipout the time slip
and it shows the numbers... nothing about the build
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Unless you happen to be the type who runs No Clock.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Unless you happen to be the type who runs No Clock.

Then its pretty hard to brag... cause those guys dont
like saying any times

Posted By: Duner

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/12/12 11:41 PM

There's no way mine would ever weigh as much as it does - and go as quick as it does - while still having perfect street manners, cold AC and power steering.... without the boost added to it.

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 01:21 AM

Quote:

There's no way mine would ever weigh as much as it does - and go as quick as it does - while still having perfect street manners, cold AC and power steering.... without the boost added to it.

I don't know why people even argue about it. You can have your cake and eat it w/ boost. I guess they like those old ash lumpity bumpity cams, 12:1 compression, high stall converters and pegging the rpms at 60mph.

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 02:41 AM

Pretty awesome to have a docile 350 hp smallblock - that turns into an 800 hp monster with boost.

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 03:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know why people even argue about it. You can have your cake and eat it w/ boost. I guess they like those old ash lumpity bumpity cams, 12:1 compression, high stall converters and pegging the rpms at 60mph.

I like some rump rump of the cam but not 12.1 comp on the street. Mine is 10.6. I guess thats what happens when you grow up in the 60's and 70's. Ron
Posted By: justinp61

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 03:53 AM

I'm not going to knock anyone's fast ride, but IMO power adder cars are not very impressive. Get there however you want, I'll do mine n/a.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 04:00 AM

Quote:

I'm not going to knock anyone's fast ride, but IMO power adder cars are not very impressive. Get there however you want, I'll do mine n/a.

Really? I think this one is kinda impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNStZm5HsXA
Posted By: Clanton

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 04:27 AM

Quote:

Just don't look down on the person who shooses that path.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 05:12 AM

Its' matter of personal preference and what a guy relates to. I like ProStock, NA, high tech. So I have stuck pretty much to NA, but I did go to M5 fuel. I love the smell of Nitro in the morning! Smells just like teargas when it burns, cause it is
did you know that with enough fumes getting to your eyes, you tear up so bad the sting goes away? Drivings a bit blurry, but he!! the ride is a bit more fun!!

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 02:22 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with N/A and I love to watch N/A cars run, especially Pro Stock. But if we are talking best streetable way to attain a certain ET, forced induction is the way to go.

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 02:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like some rump rump of the cam but not 12.1 comp on the street. Mine is 10.6. I guess thats what happens when you grow up in the 60's and 70's. Ron

Ron just turn your idle down to 700 it will shimmy and shake then...lol I like mine to be smooth and quiet until I go WOT. Not that my current car is anything like that. and I too grew up ..well I was born in the 60's and grew up in the late 70's When you guys were running around in your jacked up, side pipe clad, Cragar wheeled iron.

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 04:21 PM

I just wish that when I WAS running around in jacked-up, Cragar wheeled iron - that I would have known what I do now about turbos and forced induction.

Can you imagine if back in the 70's - if anybody would have driven into the race track with their street car, with full mufflers, AC, and power steering - ripped off a 9 or 10 second pass while idling perfectly and quietly, then drove back out the gate? That was Pro-Stock territory back then. The crowd would follow you back out - especially if you never opened the hood while you were there! LOL

Things have changed a whole bunch since those days.
No reason for people to stay there if they don't want to.

Re: So isn't ET ET no matter what you do to get there? - 12/13/12 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ron just turn your idle down to 700 it will shimmy and shake then...lol I like mine to be smooth and quiet until I go WOT. Not that my current car is anything like that. and I too grew up ..well I was born in the 60's and grew up in the late 70's When you guys were running around in your jacked up, side pipe clad, Cragar wheeled iron.

You mean like this ? Ron

© 2024 Moparts Forums