Moparts

throttle stops elect. or air ?

Posted By: Deepockets

throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/11/12 11:43 PM

pros and cons on air v/s electric and also on dedenbear ts6 style or the standard buterfly type. thanks.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/11/12 11:53 PM

Air is the way to go..You can control opening and closing rate with air not with electric. Some cars dont like to just come off instantly from the stop. My car has the bleed valve almost closed and comes open VERY slowly. Takes just under 2 seconds to come open fully.

I have used both the disc and butterfly versions. On my car we are able to close down the disc more so I can get less down power RPM. On the buterly I was only able to get down to 4300 and make the car happy. With the disc we are at 3700. The idea is on as quick as possible as low as possible to maintain as much MPH as possible.

Can get a little more in depth if anyone cares to. But I think that gives you the jist..Oh yeah went to finals with either stop...
Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/11/12 11:57 PM

have heard great things about #1 stops. http://www.number1stop.com/throttle.html

I run a linkage style air on/off stop since I'm running a toilet, but if I were running a carb I would an elect stop to eliminate the air system. Both systems will win rounds if tuned correctly.
Good luck,
Curtis
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/12/12 01:38 AM

As usual Al's right on the money.

I replaced my old setup earlier this year with the air actuated #1 Stop from Gary Stinnett. I'm VERY happy with it.

I used a Dedenbear electric plate stop years ago and had no complaints about it either.

My air, inline stop worked OK until we needed to slow the car down a lot.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/12/12 02:13 AM

My car already had a co2 system so it was a no brainer. K&R Prostage II is what I run.

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/12/12 02:31 AM

also going to replace my dedenbear thunder box since it wont run the stop. thinking about the biondo 450. any feedback on that?

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/12/12 02:58 AM

Big Biondo fan here. Love my Mega 450..

SO do tell what class are you planning on running in that you need the stop? Which car? S/ST is a fun class with a great group of guys. We have enjoyed running there for sure. Be nice to see another Mopar in the mix, even if it is all wrong under the hood

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/12/12 03:20 AM

cool al! i plan on running the same class as you. (just kidding) my pockets are'nt that deep. glad you have knowledge with the components i'm getting, as maybe you'll be willing to help me with some numbers. i'm really just shootin to tame the car down on the lanch. our track here is amoung one of the worst prepped on the planet. i know that i want to slow it down to a 10.00 car. i run the 1/8th and it's currently going 5.90's. so i'd like to hit the 6.40 mark.

Re: throttle stops elect. or air ? - 12/12/12 03:26 AM

Saw some fast stuff was at Irwindale this last weekend. My buddy Brad was there with his Hot Street car and had a new best 60' and ET...

Anything I can be of any help with I am more than willing. S/ST is fun you shoudl come play. We have a few S/ST races over the hill here.
© 2024 Moparts Forums