Moparts

Push button shifter cable adjustment.

Posted By: hemi-itis

Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 03:38 AM

Do you do the hold in reverse or neutral in park?
When I installed new to me cables{thanks special "K"},I had no one available to come down to the shop to hold in reverse,so I put it in park and adjusted to the neutral saftey switch.I also noticed that the valve body has a "park" position also able to point to the NSS but is not used

Attached picture 7497995-10.27.12006.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 03:54 AM

Its a 65 valve body . That's why it has the park pointer. Set it up in neutral. Make sure 3rd is not missing the detent and you'll be good to go.
Doug

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 04:01 AM

Had a burr in the detent ball bore holding the ball bearing inside the valve body.That was the major contributing factor to me smoking the trans.That has been rectified,replaced the smoked small drum and the clutches & steels that welded themselves together

Attached picture 7498027-10.28.12010.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 07:25 AM

I set mine up in neutral and then used a dental mirror to be sure the rooster comb detented correctly in R and 1 (both ends of travel)
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 02:34 PM

If you have headers make sure the cable is away from the tubes it will melt. I used a hose that just fit the outside diameter of the cable, split it and use it as protection.

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 02:52 PM

Quote:

If you have headers make sure the cable is away from the tubes it will melt. I used a hose that just fit the outside diameter of the cable, split it and use it as protection.

Learned that the hard way
I have used fuel hose UNCUT.slipped it over the cable with a small hose clamp on the bottom side to keep it from leaking.That's for after it get's burnt and starts to leak
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 03:10 PM

I usually hold it in reverse push in on the cable,turn the adjuster wheel flush then go two holes past to preload the cable,install the bolt then with the pan off check all the detents.Or look through the neutral switch hole and also check the start in neutral.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 06:32 PM

Quote:

I usually hold it in reverse push in on the cable,turn the adjuster wheel flush then go two holes past to preload the cable,install the bolt then with the pan off check all the detents.Or look through the neutral switch hole and also check the start in neutral.

I make sure, when I had them, that the pin will drop into the rooster com, after it is adjusted, in nuetral, shift to 1st check it, 2nd and check and finally 3rd gear. Adjust as needed
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 09:27 PM

The adjustment in Reverse only works with the PB valve body, the console/column shift VB must be adjusted in 1st (pull out instead of push in).

The dental mirror is the best final check of proper adjustment.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 11:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have used fuel hose UNCUT.slipped it over the cable with a small hose clamp on the bottom side to keep it from leaking.That's for after it get's burnt and starts to leak

I finally found the permanent leak repair. Use wiring heat shrink that has the glue in it. Seals tight.
Doug
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/11/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

The adjustment in Reverse only works with the PB valve body, the console/column shift VB must be adjusted in 1st (pull out instead of push in).

The dental mirror is the best final check of proper adjustment.

Your correct,but he was asking for PB adjusting.Usually if you set for positive detent in neutral and it starts your good.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/12/12 03:07 AM

When I put my '62 together this year, the neutral "looked" to be in the right spot in the neutral saftey switch hole. I put the neutral safety switch in it, and the car started right up.

Took it down the road and it bound up HARD on the 2~3 shift and would just drag.

What I found is best is to crawl under the dash with the clip removed from the shifter, and push the shifter into it's "detents". Shift the shifter through the gears and make sure the cable easily slides on to the pin shaft of the shifter itself in each gear.

Takes two people, but it's a piece of cake to do it this way.

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/12/12 05:50 AM

Quote:

When I put my '62 together this year, the neutral "looked" to be in the right spot in the neutral saftey switch hole. I put the neutral safety switch in it, and the car started right up.

Took it down the road and it bound up HARD on the 2~3 shift and would just drag.

What I found is best is to crawl under the dash with the clip removed from the shifter, and push the shifter into it's "detents". Shift the shifter through the gears and make sure the cable easily slides on to the pin shaft of the shifter itself in each gear.

Takes two people, but it's a piece of cake to do it this way.

That's pretty much how I did it,except I was alone.So I started out in park which sucks the neutral button in.Adjusted from there,that's when I noticed the "park" position in the valve body that would also engage the n/s switch,the second pointer on the rooster comb.

Attached picture 7499828-10.27.12007.jpg
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/12/12 06:42 AM

Hay 'itis ! .. just drop-the-pan - put that funky shifter-setup you have in N ...and EYEball it ....and adjust as needed ... ...ORE are you aFearD of getting oily crawling uNder there ? ....

Re: Push button shifter cable adjustment. - 12/13/12 02:24 AM

Nah,my tile floor pretty easy to keep clean.My vertigo slows me down a tad.Gettin' old sucks

Attached picture 7501103-9.8.12022.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums