Moparts

low band apply question

Posted By: mopar dave

low band apply question - 12/04/12 05:37 PM

I'm using a transbrake vb with low band apply and a bolt in sprag. Does that mean i'm safe with a stock front drum or is the billet front drum still mandatory?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: low band apply question - 12/04/12 05:55 PM

Which bolt in sprag is it , a Coan or A+A or just a stock replacement ? If it's a stock replacement
Posted By: mshred

Re: low band apply question - 12/04/12 06:19 PM

I asked this question in a few different threads not too long ago...do a search on my posts for anything transmission related in the last couple months and you'll see some stuff.

Basically I concluded that some said you would be safe, while others said you wouldn't. From the searching I did, the aftermarket super sprag with I believe 16 rollers was adapted from C6 transmissions, and it is impossible for it to roll over...not sure how true that is, but if its correct, then maybe a billet drum isn't necessary (although definitely an extra precaution that can't hurt anything but the wallet).

The final question always came down to- how much do you like your feet? LOL
Posted By: dartman366

Re: low band apply question - 12/04/12 06:55 PM

I believe I would Error on the side of caution, then you can sleep well at night.

Re: low band apply question - 12/04/12 07:15 PM

Stock replacement bolt in. I'' try searching. Thanks

Re: low band apply question - 12/04/12 07:34 PM

Quote:

Stock replacement bolt in. I'' try searching. Thanks

Either get the Coan or A+A or get a drum.

All the stock replacement bolt in does is stop the outer race from spinning in the case, it does nothing to stop the rollers from rolling over should you overpower the band.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: low band apply question - 12/04/12 08:41 PM

727 or 904...

727's are the exploders.

904 I wouldn't be too concerned

Re: low band apply question - 12/05/12 05:16 AM

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: low band apply question - 12/05/12 05:31 AM

I'm still one of the OLD guys(with both feet) that
still runs a stock drum with non low apply.. if you
have to get out of it in LOW gear, you shift before
you get back in it.... its called dont do stupid sh1t...
MANY MANY of us ran these without blowing then up
but you cant do the stupid sh1t.... the low band apply
will help you ALOT (it takes load of the sprag)
Posted By: jamesc

Re: low band apply question - 12/05/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

727's are the exploders.

not if they're assembled and operated by someone that's competent.

the cause and cure for these failures is well known as is the reason they occur.

sure there are plenty of horror stories and pictures floating around the net, like guys putting a stock 727 behind a blown hemi and it fails. do you think the person that doesn't know better then to put a stock 727 behind a blown hemi also knows how to properly operate the transmission?

the 727 has withstood a lot of abuse over the years and yes in some cases has failed but calling them exploders is a bit of a stretch

for many applications the 727 is a perfectly fine transmission

as for the OP to get the correct answer you need to describe your application

Re: low band apply question - 12/05/12 07:58 PM

600hp/3300# mostly street,but tnt 2 or 3 times a season. want to use my transbrake next season just finding peace of mind with the trans and axles. with launch about 4400-4500 and if i lose a driveshaft or u joint i want to be safe. would the rear band apply prevent an explosion if the d shaft failed on launch?

Re: low band apply question - 12/05/12 08:08 PM

Quote:

600hp/3300# mostly street,but tnt 2 or 3 times a season. want to use my transbrake next season just finding peace of mind with the trans and axles. with launch about 4400-4500 and if i lose a driveshaft or u joint i want to be safe. would the rear band apply prevent an explosion if the d shaft failed on launch?

Just run it , you'll be fine ....

© 2024 Moparts Forums