Moparts

When did NHRA require chassis certs?

Posted By: RTSE4ME

When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 03:21 PM

When did the NHRA chassis certification rule come into effect for cars going faster than 10 seconds? Early 90s?
How fast could you go without one back then?
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 05:59 PM

U don't a cert unless u got a 10 point or the car is 9.99 and faster or 135 and faster
Posted By: MPerry

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 06:07 PM

Quote:

U don't a cert unless u got a 10 point or the car is 9.99 and faster or 135 and faster

I don't understand what you meant.
If you have a car that is slower than 11.5 but has a 10 pt cage it needs a chassis cert?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 06:11 PM

I think he asking when the cert rules were put into effect, thats how I read it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 06:52 PM

Quote:

When did the NHRA chassis certification rule come into effect for cars going faster than 10 seconds? Early 90s?
How fast could you go without one back then?

I'm thinking mid or late 1970s Call them and get the straight scoop, if anyone who works there now remembers that far back As far as how fast could you go, it was as fast as you could go There where many top Fuel cars in the old days, some where built good, some where not Lots of junk made passes at many drag strips in the old days, some still do
Posted By: hemicop

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 07:10 PM

I THINK it was somewhere around the mid-70s? Prior to that there was a string of F/C crashes in the late 60s that they found were the cause of high-speed & unsafe front tires. Tyhen you had the incident where Garlits car got cut in half (1969?), then ther was the T&T crash that killed Don Carlton ('74/'75?) I think by then NHRA figured they better do something & came up with more extensive rules for a variety of things, not just chassises

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you have a car that is slower than 11.5 but has a 10 pt cage it needs a chassis cert?

if am not mistaken if it is in it it needs it.

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 08:43 PM

Quote:

I think he asking when the cert rules were put into effect, thats how I read it.

Yes, suppose you had a car that went 9s when did the NHRA require a cert for the chassis/cage. I thought it was in the early 90s? I am wondering about sportsman not the pro catagories.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure thats true... I know there is a inspector
on the board here.. maybe he will verify this
Posted By: mbogina

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 09:48 PM

I believe the Chassis certification rule was put in place for the 91 season, our cage was not certified in 90, had to have a couple bars in my SS Cuda replaced in order for it to certify for the 91 season.

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 10:08 PM

Well I know 1 thing the rules are getting tougher and tougher. Lol
Posted By: tubtar

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 10:49 PM

My understanding is that the car E.T dictates requirements.
If you have a ten point cage in a 12 second car , it does not need to be certified.
As to when this came into play , I am not sure.
I know the requirements for tube ( M.S. ) thickness has bounced around since the rule inception too.
Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 10:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure thats true... I know there is a inspector
on the board here.. maybe he will verify this

Just looked it up in the current Nhra rule book and it only said that it is required if you run 9.99 or faster. My chassis cert expired this past spring, but since I am only running 10.20s it is not an issue. Heck Ihra requirement is for 9.00 or quicker, gotta love it.

Re: When did NHRA require chassis certs? - 12/02/12 11:06 PM

Quote:

I believe the Chassis certification rule was put in place for the 91 season, our cage was not certified in 90, had to have a couple bars in my SS Cuda replaced in order for it to certify for the 91 season.

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. So how fast could you go before 1991 without a cert or license? 8.50s?
© 2024 Moparts Forums