Moparts

Ladder Bar Question

Posted By: 1967dartgt

Ladder Bar Question - 11/25/12 10:58 PM

Would you run a 32 or 36 in long ladder bar in a a-body? Why, what is the difference if both are double adjustable? What would you gain with the longer bar?
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/25/12 11:22 PM

Wheel base of 108" a 32" bar is fine. I don't think you gain anything with a 36" bar. The longer bars are made for real long wheel base cars.

Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 12:58 AM

We run 32" on all our ladder bars and use Comp Eng.Ladder Link setups.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 01:43 AM

I have S&W 32's in mine. packaging a longer bar would be a pain without any bonus in traction.

keep in mind ladder bars need good shocks with high horsepower
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 02:14 AM

I put 36 bars in mine!!
We have also put in the 32 as well, the 36 bars work better jmo! keeps the car planted
one car goes up,, , mine 60ft faster!! same car, same gearing, bars set the same! , he has bigger motor by 70 cci
no difference in money they priced the same
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

I have S&W 32's in mine. packaging a longer bar would be a pain without any bonus in traction.

Have afco DA for the car now. You like those or santuffs?
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Have afco DA for the car now. You like those or santuffs?

yup, nothing like moving a adjustment and seeing a difference. my car is so calm you don't even realise how fast it is.

call Mike at mr2performance for the best help
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 02:33 AM

Now u know what to tell wifey when she ask what do u want for xmas! Call Ron Rhodes he's a dealer and will get em right the 1st time for ya.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 02:34 AM

Quote:

I put 36 bars in mine!!
We have also put in the 32 as well, the 36 bars work better jmo! keeps the car planted
one car goes up,, , mine 60ft faster!! same car, same gearing, bars set the same! , he has bigger motor by 70 cci
no difference in money they priced the same

thats what I put in mine when I added the dana several years ago, they work.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 03:51 AM

A longer bar will be easier on a small tire, but as have been stated, a 36" bar isn't going to package as well. The Cross member for a 32" bar will sit in the recess of the floor pan, the cross member for the 36" bar won't.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 04:13 AM

A 36" bar will have a lower position on the neutral line for a given front mount height. If your car has enough power and you can't get the bar low enough a 36 " bar will beneficial. Mine has 36" , I did a lot of research before going with them, but the car is untested. At worst I'll add another cross member and 32" bars. My bet is at my power level it'll be better. We'll see.
Doug
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 05:19 AM

At what power level 36in long is better ?
500hp ?
600hp ?

Dan
67 Barracuda
Indy headed 408
6.75 1/8 mile
Posted By: dvw

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/26/12 11:28 PM

Quote:

At what power level 36in long is better ?
500hp ?
600hp ?

Dan
67 Barracuda
Indy headed 408
6.75 1/8 mile

Think about C/G. if the car is 52/48 w/108" wheel base the C/G is aprox 56" forward of the axle. With a 116" wheel base at the same weight distribution it's now aprox 60" forward of the axle. Why would both cars want the same length bar? Look at 4 link instant center locations, they're in the 40" to 50" range. As the power goes up the I/C goes out and down. How much is too much? We'll find out. My bet until you're up around 800-900 HP it may not even matter. You know the rule, bars level to the ground fits all power levels and wheel bases. The bottom line for sure is that shocks are more important than anything.
Doug
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/27/12 01:05 AM

Good info here, does it matter how wide the bars are apart at the back of the ladder bar?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/27/12 01:09 AM

Quote:

Good info here, does it matter how wide the bars are apart at the back of the ladder bar?

I install them as wide as I can(just inboard of
the frame rails)... gives better stability
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/27/12 01:31 AM

Thanks Mike, but what I should have asked, does it make any difference how wide the top bar is from the bottom bar in the back where it attaches to the axle tube? A skinny bar just looks better and I may not have to cut up my floor boards, but what is the minimum you can get by with?
Or do they work better with a max width for best results?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ladder Bar Question - 11/27/12 02:02 AM

The ladder bar bracket dictates that(most are pretty
close to the same span)... farther away from the axle
centerline has a better leverage factor BUT can increase
wheel stands
© 2024 Moparts Forums