Moparts

400 B oil mods

Posted By: Biginchmopar

400 B oil mods - 11/21/12 10:09 PM

It has been a while since I last did this so I need some help. What size do you drill the holes from the mains to the lifter galley? For some reason I thought it was 9/64. Any help would be great!

Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 12:10 AM

I believe that it's 9/32. Search youtube for a video.
Posted By: SuperStock68Dart

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 12:15 AM

17/64 is what I use.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 01:04 AM

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/12.html

17/64 and 9/32 is the same thing
Posted By: Von

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 01:08 AM

Quote:

[

17/64 and 9/32 is the same thing

9/32 is 18/64??
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 01:20 AM

LOL close enuff !! Knew someone would say that ! about .015 diff ? not sure for this app. would be a big deal ? No they are not the same.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 07:16 AM

Have any of you guys done the freeze plug trick in the back of the block?

I don't think I did that on the last motor I built. It is a solid roller motor.

Thanks for the help!

Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 01:46 PM

We just tap a hole in the oil pump run a line to back of the block re install where the oil sender is,(other hole), then restrict the top end of the oil galley going to the head we have never lost a bearing
yet
I have done no mods to my current motor,
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 02:07 PM

Quote:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/12.html
Quote:

Also, from the rear of the motor, take out the oil galley plug on the drivers side of the motor and push a freeze plug into the bore just past the feed that goes to the oil pressure guage ports. It's a 15/32" I think, I'll have to look at my papers at home. Do this mod only for a solid or roller cam as it blocks the oil off the lifters. You can drill a 0.10" hole in it to let a little bit of oil go through if you want. This mod greatly increases the amount of oil availible for the main and rod bearings.

I believe that plug is 19/32". I just helped a buddy with his B-engine stroker. We found this info in Hensley's Racing Ent. "Little Purple" Book that Herb McCandless wrote. Yeah, it's for solid & roller cams only

An old article written by Herb McCandless, says 19/32".
This keeps oil pressure if a lifter pops out on that side of the engine. For example if a rocker breaks and the pushrod comes loose. This is race only, but you can put a small hole in the plug (0.060"-0.100") if you want some oil besides splash oiling to the lifters on that side.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Have any of you guys done the freeze plug trick in the back of the block?

I don't think I did that on the last motor I built. It is a solid roller motor.

Thanks for the help!

I have on Hemi motor that had the drivers side oil galley machined higher in the block than the passenger side, it would expose the oil galley at max lift with a old set of non skirted solid roller lifters, I put in a small, can't remember the size now, welsh, freeze plug I ended up having to put two of them in, the first one turned sideways after running the car at a couple of races and started pulsing the oil pressure at idle, the second one never turned
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: 400 B oil mods - 11/22/12 08:16 PM

When I worked in the block department at Keith Black's I reamed (don't remember the size) the drivers side lifter galley from the rear (don't remember how deep) and drove in a little aluminum plug to block off that side of the lifter galley. I don't see those plugs for sale anymore, don't know why. It thought it was a good thing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums