Moparts

B1 vs. B1-MC Heads

Posted By: Plumb Wired

B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 12:17 AM

I have always been a SB guy so please excuse my ignorance on the BB wedge heads. lol

I am going to look at a 605", aluminum block engine tomorrow that the current owner doesn't know a lot of specs and details of. Heads are supposed to be B1-MC's, how do I differentiate a B1 head from a B1-MC. What valve dimsensions for each and/or valve centerline measurement that I could make with a set of calipers? Any stamping or serial numbers on the heads to identify them?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Gray
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 12:36 AM

If the heads are on it, I don't know. The MC's have a 2.40 intake valve, titainium, the originals are 2.30. My originals have no markings on them
Posted By: jamesc

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 12:50 AM

Mike i don't know about PNs or other distinguishing factors (there may be others) but the OUTSIDE dimension of the valve stems on a standard B1 head is about 2.422", for a center to center dimension of approximately 2.08". these measurements aren't to the .001" but you should be able to tell the difference if you can get a pair of calipers on top of the stems.

i don't know how much they spread the valves on the MC head over the original
Posted By: wesw

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 12:51 AM

the part number on the last set of B1MC heads i had was 4349600. i think the B1 PSO head have the same part number.

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 12:53 AM

Quote:

the part number on the last set of B1MC heads i had was 4349600. i think the B1 PSO head i the same part number.

that wouldn't surprise me afaik the B1, B1MC and PSO are all the same casting

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 01:05 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Assuming the engine is what it's supposed to be should it make enough steam to get my Dakota PST in the 4.90's in 3000-4000ft. D/A?

Not sure what the weight will be with the aluminum BB/glide combo. Back in the day the R3/W8, SB, G-Force combo was 2300# race weight w/ driver in PST. I want a combo that I can run in our local 4.95 index class and some other 4.70 & 4.90 index classes naturally aspirated and run some mid 4's with a single stage of nitrous.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 01:57 AM

Just sell me the truck...Or trade for a small tire Barracuda I dont believe there are any external differences betwen the heads OTHER than the MC uses a different offset on the valve set up.

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 02:01 AM

Quote:

Just sell me the truck...Or trade for a small tire Barracuda

yes i'm sure you'd like that wouldn't you
Posted By: M_D

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 05:14 AM

With the valve cover off you might see an "M" stamped (stamped, not a cast number) between the valves and intake side on each end of the head. I can't say this is a positive ID, but my MC heads have the M stamp which I assume (I know) designate the MC. Measuring the valve stem centers is probably the most positive way, short of pulling the head off.

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 11:07 PM

Well everything checked out as described. It is a 605" KB Block/B1-MC combo. Looks like I'll be moving to the dark side of BB wedge power for the Dakota. I'll never live this down to a couple of my friends but this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/21/12 11:11 PM

Quote:

Well everything checked out as described. It is a 605" KB Block/B1-MC combo. Looks like I'll be moving to the dark side of BB wedge power for the Dakota. I'll never live this down to a couple of my friends but this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

that's ok you'll have more HP then them
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 12:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

that's ok you'll have more HP then them

And more money left in your wallet too.

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 12:48 AM

Congrats on the new purchase. Still think a 99 woudl be cooler...Maybe one day

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 01:08 AM

Quote:

Congrats on the new purchase. Still think a 99 woudl be cooler...Maybe one day

I asked about buying your 99 a couple of times but could never get a price from you.

I'll have this one freshened and make a couple of changes and see what happens. I get tired of my race cars pretty quickly and this will probably be my last one. A Viper is looking more appealing everyday.
Posted By: LA360

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 01:20 AM

Quote:

I get tired of my race cars pretty quickly and this will probably be my last one.

I loved the Blue Barracuda you had! Where did that one end up Mike?
Keep us posted on how this all goes with the BB engine too

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 01:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I get tired of my race cars pretty quickly and this will probably be my last one.

I loved the Blue Barracuda you had! Where did that one end up Mike?
Keep us posted on how this all goes with the BB engine too

Alan, I sold the Barracuda to a guy in Texas, he sold it to Elite Motorsports, LLC in Oklahoma and last I heard it was in Michigan. I haven't seen it anywhere on the net or heard anything more about it in approx. 4 years The same guy that bought the Barracuda also just bought my 69 Dart street/strip car.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

I get tired of my race cars pretty quickly and this will probably be my last one. A Viper is looking more appealing everyday.

Nothing wrong with that, Mike. I do the same. My Dart is going up for sale cause I want something different already.

Its all good and they are only nuts/bolts anyway. Glad to hear you got a motor. That truck should be a fun ride!

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 05:30 PM

Ya a Viper is starting to sound pretty good to me too

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

Ya a Viper is starting to sound pretty good to me too

ya right...then it ends up like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4IKUHjtikI
Posted By: Bill_LBSR

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/22/12 05:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1mGfrCNPY
Or this one......
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: B1 vs. B1-MC Heads - 11/23/12 04:15 AM

That viper is just bad a**, cruise on streets and power windows and still run 6s... unbelievable!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums