Moparts

Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet?

Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:09 PM

LOL... This is gonna be great...

So I keep having sick thoughts of a LS powered Duster... anyone else done this yet??? Im sure Im gonna get mass hate mail for this, But I dont care, Theyre bad a$$ engines with tons of potential for cheap... Anyone???

Attached picture 7440122-303135_4563605057145_2068134650_n.jpg
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:17 PM

Not anyone that I know of personally yet. I am close to putting this in my dart so I can go fast. So I know how you are thinking. 415ci, sb2.2, all alum, dry sump. Just would need a dominator and a drag race camshaft to go real fast

Attached picture 7440135-0415090853.jpg
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:23 PM

I love Mopar, but in some classes its better to build brand X, I mean we are getting there with the parts for Mopar but we are still years away from where brand X is... I was/am looking at my brothers 2000 firebird, with him in afgan he told me to run it next year, its LS power, twin turbo.. Never been down the track as we were still building it when he left. It should be a fun ride... Do whatever it takes to go as fast as you want.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:39 PM

There is a guy putting one in a A body on FABO. I don't agree with it but if the new genIII hemis were not so swap unfriendly and expensive to make run with factory efi people wouldn't be so tempted to use brand x. When you get it done park it out front of Chrysler and see how long it takes them to get the hint.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:43 PM

And that my friend was my point...
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:56 PM

I would never do it, BUT, I wouldn't bust chops to hard if u did do it. The support for the LS engines is amazing and very tempting plus they are a good engine.
Are you going to use the OEM GM electronics or an aftermarket system like a FAST? If an aftermarket I say to HEMI. I know they're more expensive but I think they're a better engine. You can buy a retrofit kit to put the LS1 computer and sensors on a HEMI. If/when I use a HEMI that is the route I would go, OEM reliability and more parts than you can shake a stick at

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:57 PM

Thats just it... you can re-cam a junk yard LQ4 or LQ9 (6.0) and throw the L92 heads (big port) and make 500HP, THEN add nitrous it for 800HP... all for around $2K... freakin crazy... Meanwhile I can sell my 340 for $3-4K that would pay for the LS swap and then some... Just thinkin out loud I guess... I never liked mixed breed cars, but just seems you cant beat it for the money...

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 10:58 PM

Quote:

I would never do it, BUT, I wouldn't bust chops to hard if u did do it. The support for the LS engines is amazing and very tempting plus they are a good engine.
Are you going to use the OEM GM electronics or an aftermarket system like a FAST? If an aftermarket I say to HEMI. I know they're more expensive but I think they're a better engine. You can buy a retrofit kit to put the LS1 computer and sensors on a HEMI. If/when I use a HEMI that is the route I would go, OEM reliability and more parts than you can shake a stick at

Honestly, Id probably put a carb on it like the set up in my Nova (LS3)

Attached picture 7440196-$T2eC16RHJGYE9nooh7!oBQbQrZ3!uw~~60_12.jpg
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:06 PM

i say go for it.. if ma mopar would allow the after market to make some parts for us then if would be a lot diff...those boys can get there parts cheap cause of the market of makers...we are stuck in a shell ..lol
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:25 PM

No. It's in my Camaro!

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

No. It's in my Camaro!

LOL... I have one in my Nova, one in my truck, one in my Cadillac, so why not one in my Duster too??? HAHA

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Thats just it... you can re-cam a junk yard LQ4 or LQ9 (6.0) and throw the L92 heads (big port) and make 500HP, THEN add nitrous it for 800HP... all for around $2K... freakin crazy... Meanwhile I can sell my 340 for $3-4K that would pay for the LS swap and then some... Just thinkin out loud I guess... I never liked mixed breed cars, but just seems you cant beat it for the money...

Really? For 2k? What do JY 6.0's go for, how much are L92 heads? Mopars have never been cheap and everyone knows that but it still gets frustrating. U can get 6.1 HEMI'S for around 5-6 K, sell the intake for 500 ish, factory headers for 200 ish, which would cover the cost of a dragpack intake. TTI makes headers for A bodies so no custom headers needed ($) for the LS. It would still be more expensive than an LS but worth it in my opinion
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:48 PM

Go for it! I am working on installing an LS3 into my Coronet currently...

LS1_Ace is installing a 5.3/4L60 into his 69 Valiant over on FABO.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=202836
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hy...-lots-pics.html

LS1_Ace went with the 73-up spool mount K-frame which caused him to need a custom oil pan. I have a feeling that if you trimmed the lip/box the edge on your 72-back k frame you could probably use a new GTO oil pan, as they are a front sump design and will clear the draglink very nicely.

The motor mount pad style and location is virtually identical to genIII hemi's, so with some simple mods, you can use hemi conversion motormounts from S&P or TTI and keep the standard biscuit mounts on the k frame.

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:49 PM

I would never do the LS engine just for the sake of it being another boring zzz chevy engine, but I will admit that the price and bang for my buck factor did pop into my head...
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:54 PM

Quote:

I would never do the LS engine just for the sake of it being another boring zzz chevy engine, but I will admit that the price and bang for my buck factor did pop into my head...

Thank you...........just go buy a damn Camaro and be done with it.
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/29/12 11:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you...........just go buy a damn Camaro and be done with it.

Posted By: earthmover

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:00 AM

always easy to spend someone else money..no matter how you look at it..

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:01 AM

Of all the dumb things people do to their Mopars, this is the absolute WORSE thing I can think of. It`s totally disrespectfull and embarrasing...................

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:03 AM

Quote:

Really? For 2k? What do JY 6.0's go for, how much are L92 heads?

$800 for a 6.0 junkyard long block, $800 for L92 heads...

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:04 AM

Quote:

Of all the dumb things people do to their Mopars, this is the absolute WORSE thing I can think of. It`s totally disrespectfull and embarrasing...................

It is embarassing that a junk yard LS will spank a built big block Mopar... And Id buy a Camaro, if I liked them... but I dont... lol
Posted By: D-50

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:05 AM

Quote:

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It is embarassing that a junk yard LS will spank a built big block Mopar... And Id buy a Camaro, if I liked them... but I dont... lol

BRING IT............Without the sissy juice.........

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:12 AM

Quote:

Sissy juice... lol... Im not the one scared to squeeze the sh*t out of my junk... Im not saying Im going to do it, just wondering who has... I may just put one in a fox body, since its a better chassis...
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:16 AM

I've always loved the black Duster in your sig. Loved it in pink primer even more. And if you were closer, it might be mine as it seemed like a decent deal when you had it up for sale. But if you are so into this Chevy engine and sticking it into a Ford, maybe you just aren't a Mopar guy after all.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:18 AM

Who`s scared? I`m an n/a guy and want my bad-ass et`s to be based on my tuning skills not nos.............worked at Pettis and fixed PLENTY of those motors and rather not go there myself plus ANYBODY can go fast w/nos.................... How fast would your duster be w/out it?
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:24 AM

All that fanagling around to drop a new up to date motor in an old leaf sprung torsion bar car.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:28 AM

Duster was built around the bottle.... you don't think a bottle car requires tuning skills? lol
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:30 AM

I would never do it to a Mopar.....but a Daihatsu....maybe

But seriously......I just dropped 2K for a set of CNC Small block heads for my 414 that flow ALMOST as well as a brand new set of off the shelf LS3 heads

I love the LS2 in My Trailblazer SS "tow car" 350+ HP to the wheels, 20MPG on the highway, seats 5 and tows 6800 pounds AND will easily outrun the 69 Road Runner I had in high school.

It'd be an insult to put one in a Vintage Mopar but I can certainly understand the mass appeal of the motor in terms of bang for the buck
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:38 AM

..."bang for the buck..." I can verify that you can get a pretty good "BANG" out of the Gen 3 Hemi...and it costs some bucks too. LS 1 on dirt..
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:41 AM

Ultimately it's just a car, and if I was starting with nothing I would consider it, from a price vs. hp standpoint alone. I wouldn't do it to anything even remotely collectible though, and probably not any B or C bodies.

Some people make sure brand loyalty takes a backseat to performance, there isn't anything wrong with it. Just make sure it's quick when it's done!
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:47 AM

Is this still a Mopar board???
Posted By: racerx

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sissy juice... lol... Im not the one scared to squeeze the sh*t out of my junk... Im not saying Im going to do it, just wondering who has... I may just put one in a fox body, since its a better chassis...

Man r u stirring the

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 01:00 AM

Quote:

Duster was built around the bottle.... you don't think a bottle car requires tuning skills? lol

It`s all good man..............As far as nos needing tuning skills, absolutely need skills. My point about nos is(now that we`ve totally tweeked this post), that I personally want respectable et`s n/a..........just my personal gig I guess.....

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 01:21 AM

I get it Dom, just like your all about na numbers, I'm all about bang for the buck... I knew this would stir the pot, but its a legit question, look at all the Mustangs with LS motors...
Posted By: challengermike

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

I get it Dom, just like your all about na numbers, I'm all about bang for the buck... I knew this would stir the pot, but its a legit question, look at all the Mustangs with LS motors...

Im sure if you where putting a mopar engine in somethings else it would be ok though, LOL

I dont see any harm in it seeing an A Body can be had cheap and theres no shortage of them. Now the GM guys maybe mad you put there engine into a mopar though,lol
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 02:09 AM

Purists

I say do it. I have been a Mopar guy a loong time, but sometimes you got to say the heck with it and try something different--sometimes for dollar sake. My only grip (or request) is make it work without cutting anything on the car so it can be reversed later on.

This is in front of an 833 4-speed and is not in a GM vehicle. It can be unbolted and you'd never know it was in there.

Posted By: mshred

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 02:22 AM

The only cars that don't phase me anymore seeing frankenswaps in them is fox bodies, mainly because they are such a bastardized cookie cutter car and they mean nothing...I cringed when they had some nissan motor in a mustang in fast and the furious (as gay as that movie was- and that was the icing on the cake for the entire series), just like I would cringe seeing a chevy motor in a mopar.

I have to say, the new hemi can be done for quite cheap- maybe not as cheap as an LS motor, but the potential for them is just as much if not more for the LS. I would seriously look into one of those if I was you.

If you can't make the brand of the bodystyle run fast enough, buy a different car- I am a mopar guy through and through, but slovas, slomaros, and shovelles are all good looking cars that would house an LS motor much better then any duster

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 02:58 AM

Quote:

To each his own(except for the ls motor in a Mopar). Another reason I took Auto College classes, is to fine tune my late model skills and put the new Hemis in the old cars for those that want the old sexy muscle car looks with the "drive to the beach" economy. That to me is exceptable and true to the Mopar heritage but not Chevy..............

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:01 AM

I hope a bunch of people do it! I think its just the slap in the face Mopar Performance and other people that can bring better and cheaper gen III parts to the public faster than they are. If they haven't noticed already the ls engines are taking a huge amount of their customer base and converting them to bowtie. The new hemis are great engines to but they are way over priced to swap.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:26 AM

cost aside, do you guys actually believe the new hemi is even equally as good as a LS??? my local track has a fox body with a turbo'd 4.8 running in the 4's... I can't say I've ever seen a new hemi that was even remotely fast?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:28 AM

Good point 72.

Sheldon

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:30 AM

Dom, how do you feel about powerglides and ford 9"s? just curious where people draw the line? as a ex GM tech, I admit I'm partial to the LS, regardless of manufacturer its a awesome engine...

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:34 AM

Quote:

Dom, how do you feel about powerglides and ford 9"s? just curious where people draw the line? as a ex GM tech, I admit I'm partial to the LS, regardless of manufacturer its a awesome engine...

I see that SLIGHTLY different but not as critical. I will never have either in my car though just to keep my car as Mopar as possible...........again, just my choice...........

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:51 AM

Quote:

cost aside, do you guys actually believe the new hemi is even equally as good as a LS??? my local track has a fox body with a turbo'd 4.8 running in the 4's... I can't say I've ever seen a new hemi that was even remotely fast?

Yes, eagle heads can flow we'll into the mid/upper 300's, 6.1 heads high 300's low 400's, apaches well into 400's just going off the top of my head. Hell, the original 5.7 head can get we'll into the low to mid 300's when CNC'ed. The blocks are strong, guys pushing them to over 1000 hp (but they suffer the same problems as the LS engines do with boost, they like to lift cylinder heads with lots of boost).
The major Achillies for them is the stock pistons are weak (thin ring lands) where the LS pistons seem quite abit more robust in stock form.
BES handily won a recent Engine Masters with a 5.7 based HEMI using 5.7 original heads. The 2nd place engine was an LS but was down quite abit on power compared to the BES HEMI, so yes a GenIII HEMI can run with an LS with no problem.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 04:17 AM

Quote:

I will agree that LS's are impressive...but it's nowhere that cheap and easy to make 800hp with an LS. Yes...that can be built fairly cheaply....but not that cheap. How do I know?

My brother owns a fairly popular speedshop that specializes in LS performance and swaps....one of the cars that he built a twin turbo setup and did the tuning on just won a Wally at a fastest streetcar race in pomona a few months ago...so he knows his stuff, and it aint that cheap. But it is impressive....I see lots of 5K dollar LS's that run mid 11's because they have good parts. If you spray 300 hp of nitrous with a stock plastic intake be prepared to pick the pieces up off the track and hope your engine doesn't ingest much of it. I do appreciate what your saying....and if you want an LS, go for it...you will get a lot of bang for your buck!

Oh....I' finally got back to working on my own car...A 440 Mopar with an LS Computer/EFI/and coil on plug ignition...
Posted By: d7cook

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 04:48 AM

Opposite approach.

BBM in a GM A BODY.

Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 05:00 AM

Dumb question, but why not a 3rd Gen Hemi? They seem to be the next best thing.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 05:35 AM

Quote:

expensive, not as many aftermarket parts, the bang for your buck just isn't there...

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 05:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

expensive, not as many aftermarket parts, the bang for your buck just isn't there...

They don't have the tuning support the LS motors have either...you can find LS tuners everywhere. But I like to be different....so I'd do the 6.1 hemi with a LS computer .
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 06:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They don't have the tuning support the LS motors have either...you can find LS tuners everywhere. But I like to be different....so I'd do the 6.1 hemi with a LS computer .

That's what I'd probably do, but that's just me. I like Mopars because they are
different. You'd probably devalue the car immensely by putting in an LS motor anyway.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 07:32 AM

Quote:

True, however if I'm sinking any amount of money into a car, I want an aftermarket EFI system anyway. I've played with a couple of factory efi computers and I don't care for it and certainly wouldn't swap one in with the intention of retuning if after.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 07:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I'd probably do, but that's just me. I like Mopars because they are
different. You'd probably devalue the car immensely by putting in an LS motor anyway.

"Devalue" it?
It would be a $2000 car with a $2000 engine swap! What's to devalue?
Posted By: fasthawk6

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 10:44 AM

To go fast cheap my vote goes to a fox body ls swap with a turbo 400 and decent hit of spray. You can get a fox roller for under 10k set up ready to go. Also when it gets wrecked parts a dime a dozen.

Attached picture 7440799-dart.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 10:49 AM

Here's the best way to go and put the mopar in the garage.A buddy's step and e will sell as a roller 2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

79 Capri "Rosa Belle"
The car is currently at Gary Rohe Race Cars getting a complete new c/m 25.3 cage and rear suspension...that will be certified to 6.50 at 3600 pds.
The motor is a completely fresh BES 434 with wilson plate and fogger both flowed by Kevin Neal....With Coan full case glide with all the trimmings.
The entire suspension(coil overs and struts have just been replaced with drop spindles etc.
The car is also being rewired by Gary Rohe.
This car is a multi time KOTS winner as well as multi time limited 8.5 winner.
The car will be up for sale as soon as it gets finished and gets back home..
It will be available turn key or shell roller or in whatever configureation you want(fuel system..wheels tires....shocks and struts etc....just pm me how you want it and I will get a price together.....I also have a 2012 30 ft. storm enclosed trailor that i will make a pkg deal on...Here is video of the car in case you dont rememmber it.
I believe the car has been consistant 1.20's 60 ft and has been 5.20's in 1/8 mile and 8.30's in 1/4 mile on one 1 kit with the old cage and suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1ud74LTeDu0

Attached picture 7440801-dart.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 01:15 PM

just go buy a damn Camaro and be done with it.

That's what I did.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 02:56 PM

Quote:

The only cars that don't phase me anymore seeing frankenswaps in them is fox bodies, mainly because they are such a bastardized cookie cutter car and they mean nothing...I cringed when they had some nissan motor in a mustang in fast and the furious (as gay as that movie was- and that was the icing on the cake for the entire series), just like I would cringe seeing a chevy motor in a mopar.

I have to say, the new hemi can be done for quite cheap- maybe not as cheap as an LS motor, but the potential for them is just as much if not more for the LS. I would seriously look into one of those if I was you.

If you can't make the brand of the bodystyle run fast enough, buy a different car- I am a mopar guy through and through, but slovas, slomaros, and shovelles are all good looking cars that would house an LS motor much better then any duster

Well said! For me Fiat has to release the encryption software. Once this is done sky the limit.
Matt
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well said! For me Fiat has to release the encryption software. Once this is done sky the limit.
Matt

Not sure about Fiat releasing it BUT the guy I would go to for Diablo Tuning said that they are already tuning 2011+ now. 2006-2010 has been available for years.

But if you're gonna do a swap why bother with a Mopar PCM go with a stand alone EFI system.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:30 PM

Several people in the Dakota world have done LS-swaps. Some used the GM computers and some used Standalone EFI.

I want to know where you guys are getting LS motors for $800. Every junk yard I've talked to as soon as you say LS the price Jumps to $1500+.

I honestly wouldn't waste my time with anything less than the GOOD (BIG CUI) LS2,6,7.

And yes the Gen-3 Hemi stuff is comparable in price. $2500 for new Short block from Mopar, $750/ea for heads. Far as an after market, Don't really need it when you got heads like the 6.4L available which flow as good as most aftermarket LS heads (less the Mozez heads).

When you start looking at going over 550hp. The cost evens out really fast. It comes down to how cheap can you get your block and heads for, everything else is priced close to the same.

Now if I was looking at just going fast as I could, it would be an LSx in a Fox-Mustang.

Now availability on the other hand!!! Finding and getting LS parts is a lot more accommodating than the find and wait, Hide and seek game with many Mopar parts. Even the ones in production.
Posted By: Voluster

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 03:34 PM

If I was to do it all over and I didn't just build a stroker SB

My Junk would have a carbed LS in it

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 05:25 PM

I see everyones points, believe me, I Love Mopars, and hate cross breeds... Its just hard to beat... theres alot of guys running 250-300 shots on stock 6.0 bottom ends... I just found a complete set of LS3 heads for $400! Throw on a carburetor and your good to go! Most likely I wont put one in my Duster, I know of a notch back mustang for a grand, Im thinkin Im gonna see how cheap I can throw together a 9 second ride... Ill keep you all posted...
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 05:30 PM

I haven't, but I wouldn't rule it out.

If you do this budget 9 second build keep us informed!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 06:54 PM

just get it over with and buy ya a beautiful yellow 70 Chevelle or red 73 camaro...
Really if you want different get a new hemi, the prices are pretty good.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 07:39 PM

Quote:

just get it over with and buy ya a beautiful yellow 70 Chevelle or red 73 camaro...

Nah, not into 70 Chevelles, or disco Camaros... I just dont see any real future for the new "hemi" If it was so great everyone would put those in Fox Bodys... Again Im a Mopar Guy, but the new Mopars just dont measure up to the new GM products...
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 07:41 PM

There is a young kid in Asheville, North Carolina who built a 72 Duster with an Ls engine and 6 speed trans out of a late model GTO, wants $7500 for the car, I will look into it for anyone interested. He works at the tire store off Swannanoa Rd where the Walmart is for the local guys who might be interested. Personally, I think it is a great idea even I have to agree with the poster who mentioned the fox body, those cars and parts are much cheaper to acquire.

Joey

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 08:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nah, not into 70 Chevelles, or disco Camaros... I just dont see any real future for the new "hemi" If it was so great everyone would put those in Fox Bodys... Again Im a Mopar Guy, but the new Mopars just dont measure up to the new GM products...

I'll have to disagree.

The Gen3 Hemi stuff is top notch. More than a few Non-Mopar engine builders have proven that many times over.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 08:39 PM

Build a bad-AAA Gen3 Hemi and then drop it in what???

Hard to find a 2300-2600lb Mopar body that has a decent suspension system.

Maybe a Chrysler Conquest?
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 09:03 PM

The new Hemi is pretty huge externally. LS needs way less room and performs very well. A friend of mine bought a LS3 carburated crate, bolted it in to his street '68 Firebird and run 11.3's. Slightly cleaned the heads, a new cam and it runs 10.8's all day long. The brand new all aluminum engine cost less than 6000$. The heads flowed 323/215 cfm at 0.6". I have not played much with the new Hemis, but most of the parts are way more expensive and harder to find. They do have potential too, but if fitment and cost is your main problem it's easy to understand the LS route. And yes, we do have a 3 gen Hemi, although it's in a Jaguar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZA4euk6R0U

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 10:53 PM

Quote:

A friend of mine bought a LS3 carburated crate, bolted it in to his street '68 Firebird and run 11.3's. Slightly cleaned the heads, a new cam and it runs 10.8's all day long.

Proof^^^ in a heavy car!
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 11:23 PM

Go for it man....if a few years maybe the mopar stuff will catch up, but right now the LS motors are tough to beat.

Regardless of brand...if someone told you that you could get a new, all aluminum crate motor for $6k, bolt it in and run in the 11's, who could say no to that?!?!

Some of the budget builds I have been coming across are downright ridiculous as far as the numbers they are running for the money.

Going fast is going fast...and I can't hate on anyone for trying to do that.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 11:31 PM

I have seen 3 LS blocks at the Speed shop getting sleeves in the last 4 months. All of them had a crack into the deck and wasn't able to build. All cracked around the same spot, and all heavy hitter engines. All of them were on nos and in the low 4's.At any given time there is 30 or more engines in the shop being built. 90% of them are gm. They always run the best, just before they blow up.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 11:37 PM

Quote:

All of them were on nos and in the low 4's.

Posted By: 440dart

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you squeeze 800 hp out of that 2,000 dollar LS, your gonna get a lot of BANG as in KABOOM.
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 11:50 PM

I would do a small block ford first.used parts are dirt cheap because there is so much ford stuff for sale.my brother just bought 2 good roller cams for a ford for $125
Posted By: 383man

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/30/12 11:54 PM

I would never do it as its not my cup of tea. I dont care who does what with their cars as thats their right to do so but I am to much stuck on the 60's and 70's muscle cars. I guess you could say I am brand loyal for sure but I do like all muscle cars and respect them all. But I am not into any newer eng in a Mopar or whatever of the older 60's and 70's cars. If I was at car show and super fine 69 RoadRunner had a new style Hemi under the hood I just walk on by and dont even have an interest in it. But thats just me I like them with their brand eng thats close to what it was. I was like that in the old days also as when I started liking Sox & Martin it was because the raced Mopars with Mopar stuff. If Grumpy had driven a Mopar I would have wanted him to win but I am so glad he did not as Ronnie Sox is one of the nicest people I ever met. I guess thats why when I watch NHRA races I dont even care about top fuel and funny cars because they all look the same. Course Pro Stock is getting that way also but at least they dont all use the same eng. I always like to go for the car I like to win and I guess thats why I like the 60's and early 70's SuperStock and Stock cars so much. But if its what you like then do it as you have to do what you want. Ron

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:01 AM

You know not to be smart but is price the main reason you would do this ? I mean these smallblock Mopar strokers really impress me and run good. Ron

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:24 AM

Quote:

You know not to be smart but is price the main reason you would do this ? I mean these smallblock Mopar strokers really impress me and run good. Ron

It's not that the sbm strokers don't run well it's called dollar per horsepower output. I have a group of buddys that run oulaw 8.5 stuff and there is no way a mopar body per rules listed can run with these cars. Tell me were you can get a set of heads for a sbm that flow over 350 for 3k and a unreal intake to match for another grand.I would like to see a stock suppension old school mopar run a 1.26 60ft and not to mention a good trans that won't blow up and cut your damn foot off without spending a arm and a leg.To be cost effective and to go fast cheap it's a fox body with gm parts plain and simple.I have thought about a sbm in a fox body with a turbo 400 because i have 2 sbm strokers.This is a pic of my buddy's intake for a sbf that made 860 hp on huntsville engine's dyno. Also these heads flow 380 with a stock 20degree vavle angle.

Attached picture 7441604-2.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:26 AM

another

Attached picture 7441607-5.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:32 AM

another pic

Attached picture 7441617-001.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

True, however if I'm sinking any amount of money into a car, I want an aftermarket EFI system anyway. I've played with a couple of factory efi computers and I don't care for it and certainly wouldn't swap one in with the intention of retuning if after.

Did you ever mess with an LS computer? Thats the great thing about the LS computers...they are just as tuneable or even more so that most aftermarket systems. There are only a few things they can't do yet...like you can't run two sets of injectors at once, etc.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Did you ever mess with an LS computer? Thats the great thing about the LS computers...they are just as tuneable or even more so that most aftermarket systems. There are only a few things they can't do yet...like you can't run two sets of injectors at once, etc.

This is what I was getting at. Go around the corner and somebody can tune your LS with an LS computer.
IF we had this with the 3G. Things would be great. Matt

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 01:43 AM

For all the work and expense it takes to build a N/A mopar to run in the low 10's high 9's, one can rapidly start to appreciate the capabilities of the LS platform.

Not many of you guys could hang with this ugly 1985 Ford LTD.

Stock longblock, junkyard 5.3 chevy LS engine runs 9.79 @ 144 mph in the 1/4...76mm turbo on a very mild tune.

Tiny 235 drag radials, 6-mufflers, 2.73 rear gear, powerglide, weighs 3689lbs.

- Stock 5.3L shortblock,
- Stock 5.3L heads,
- Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam (207/220 @.050 118lsa) with good springs/pushrods,
- LS9 gaskets and head studs

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1418133-142mph-junkyard-5-3-a.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1534225-got-9s-my-ltd-jy-5-3-a.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1fiKVFrYGMJunkyard 5.3 in LTD running 9's - YouTube

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 01:43 AM

Not many of you guys could hang with this truck either.

I am not giving these examples to Mopar Bash, but rather to give you RACERS some ideas for your future racing powerplants.
How can you possibly ignore this level of power production per dollar in this day and age?

Weighs just slightly more than a fully equipped chubby new SRT8 Challenger.

Just another mostly stock turbo LSx 1000+ HP truck. http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1529749-9-sec-stock-short-block-lq4-full-size-4x4.html

Plug the weight, ET and MPH into the calculator and check out the HP. http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

1,070 HP hp to run 139mph @4850lbs
1,040 HP to run 9.73 @4850lbs

4850lbs, runs 9.73/139 in 4x4 hi mode.

-2003 GMC Z71 4x4
-2005 6.0L LQ4 Factory pistons, rods, rod bolts, and crankshaft.
- Hand ported stock valve 317's, LS9 gaskets, head studs
- JFR Isky "tripple 12 cam(212/212 .56x/.56x 112 lsa) Isky springs, stock pushrods
-All 100% factory truck acc's including Truck intake, TB, MAFS, and AC.
- Budget Garrett GT76/T4, 3" air to air Intercooler.
-4L80E, Yank 3400 multi disk converter
-Pump gas with 2 gallons of av gas added, Meth injection.
-4 Micky ET Street 28x11.50x16 bias ply

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 02:10 AM

Both of those examples have one big thing in common.
INCREDIBLY BORING!!!!

How much would it cost to go 9s on a superbike?
AND you would be reasonably sure you could ride to the track AND make it home....
Wayyyyyy better "bang for the buck".

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 02:19 AM

Quote:

INCREDIBLY BORING!!!!

Huh? 9.70's at 140 is boring?

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 02:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

INCREDIBLY BORING!!!!

Huh? 9.70's at 140 is boring?

Both VEHICLES are boring.

Try it on a bike. FOR LESS MONEY!!!!

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 02:26 AM

Quote:

Sure I can concede that the sheetmetal that is wrapped around the engines in the examples is boring.

Now install that powerplant that in your mopar and it gets pretty exciting.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 02:27 AM

most racers here are et. Cut a light, hit the number and bring home the trophy/cash. No matter what type of car. I enjoy the car I have, run what I brung. Somebody is always faster.....so what, it's another challenge to run the same number you dial in.

To answer the topic....NOPE
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 02:46 AM

i say, if u have a mopar, keep it all mopar. so mopar's are a little more $$'s to go fast. i don't care. this is are brand, they are different lookin & cooler that any other. don't disgrace a mopar by putting a chevy plant in it. jump ship & buy a camero or what ever. jesus christ, i can't beleive someone would do that.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 03:32 AM

Quote:

Not many of you guys could hang with this truck either.

I am not giving these examples to Mopar Bash, but rather to give you RACERS some ideas for your future racing powerplants.
How can you possibly ignore this level of power production per dollar in this day and age?

Weighs just slightly more than a fully equipped chubby new SRT8 Challenger.

Just another mostly stock turbo LSx 1000+ HP truck.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1529749-9-sec-stock-short-block-lq4-full-size-4x4.html

Plug the weight, ET and MPH into the calculator and check out the HP. http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

1,070 HP hp to run 139mph @4850lbs
1,040 HP to run 9.73 @4850lbs

4850lbs, runs 9.73/139 in 4x4 hi mode.

-2003 GMC Z71 4x4
-2005 6.0L LQ4 Factory pistons, rods, rod bolts, and crankshaft.
- Hand ported stock valve 317's, LS9 gaskets, head studs
- JFR Isky "tripple 12 cam(212/212 .56x/.56x 112 lsa) Isky springs, stock pushrods
-All 100% factory truck acc's including Truck intake, TB, MAFS, and AC.
- Budget Garrett GT76/T4, 3" air to air Intercooler.
-4L80E, Yank 3400 multi disk converter
-Pump gas with 2 gallons of av gas added, Meth injection.
-4 Micky ET Street 28x11.50x16 bias ply

I agree that this is where the LS engines have it on the HEMI, the factory pistons and rods can take a beating, the HEMI, not so much, BUT, if u changed out the rods and pistons a HEMI could eclipse an LS with the same parts, remember HEMI'S love boost, more expensive yes but just as much if not more potential

I will admit I am very jealous that stock LS rods and pistons are as tough as they are and can see why people use them

Here's a HEMI getting it done:

http://twinturbocreations.com/ttc/gallery/video/worlds-fastest-srt8-jeep/
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 03:37 AM

This guy did, it's interesting but I'd never do it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/3363856238.html

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 06:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sure I can concede that the sheetmetal that is wrapped around the engines in the examples is boring.

Now install that powerplant that in your mopar and it gets pretty exciting.

Not for ME, that's for sure!
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 06:48 AM

I'm an engine guy. I don't necessarily condone putting an off brand engine in a different brand car, but it's hard to argue with the LS engine.
http://youtu.be/fnq7qja7As8
here's an extreme example, but it is NA and the car it's in is running a 5 speed stick. Pretty impressive.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 06:50 AM

Quote:

I'm an engine guy. I don't necessarily condone putting an off brand engine in a different brand car, but it's hard to argue with the LS engine.

I guess you would take an old Knucklehead Harley and toss a 750 Yamaha engine in it.

Me?
No thanks...

To each his own!
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 06:58 AM

I thought about swapping a 5.7 hemi into a ta I had before Always loved the 93-02 body styling, but I love mopars more... so it would be a perfect swap to me.

As far as a chevy engine in a mopar, might as well do a 350, they are even cheaper. You could also take a 5.0 put on a ebay turbo system for cheap and run 9s too. Maybe not for too long, but I've seen it done.

To each their own, but I always knew I'd have to spend more to build a mopar and I'm not going to put in a gm engine to try and save a few bucks.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 09:06 AM

i say do it. I'm probably going to lol
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 11:19 AM

What has suprised me is the number of people on here that said they either thought about it or have/are going to do it.

Yes, I too believe at a certian point, buying brand new parts, the cost can become a wash. But like all things GM, eventually, someone has got to go faster and used parts become available cheaper. And when supply and demand weigh on new parts being produced, well, just like the good old 350, they are going to be much more abundant vs. a more specialty like a G3 HEMI.

Is it for everyone, certianly not, and the posts here are not trying to push anyone in one direction. I think the pro's of it are valid reasons--cost right out of the box in alot of areas is usually cheaper to go just as fast. The con's of it are you are left with a crossbred car that may or may not sell if that is the ultimate goal. That is why I said right from the beginning that if it is done, do not chop the car so it can be returned to stock later. It can be done.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:00 PM

I don't give a $&#t what anyone does with their car, but I wouldn't embarrass a MOPAR body that I owned. MOPAR engines range from as little horsepower as someone wants, up to 10,000+.....if you're not scared of some "cackle". If ya need more than that, call Lockheed Martin.....or NASA.

If I wanted an LS engine, I'd buy a GM.....but then again, I don't care about any of that here today gone tomorrow "class" stuff that bends and changes rules like the wind blows.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:06 PM

Let's face it. None of us are into Mopars for the bang for the buck quality or even the sheer beauty of some of the models

We're in it because at some point in our lives we saw one that just knocked our socks off. It's completely emotional with little nod to practicality (except for me. It was better than the car I traded it for )

That's why people get stirred up over this and I agree. If you're into Mopars then why mix them? If you want practical, buy a Camry. Or a camaro with a 350.

I'm not bashing Chevys. There's a few that I would trade five of my Chargers for. But few of them would attract the interest this car has. I've had a few nice cars in my day and run with a bunch nicer than mine. But there always seems to be a group of people around mine because it's so unique and novel. First gen Chargers are still a good buy, so maybe the bang for the buck component isn't lost after all
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 12:16 PM

hmmmm. the charger 500 hemi car's engine isnt built yet,and a 1000 hp lsx sounds different..and that would piss people off at the NATS...i like to piss people off...hmmmm,

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 01:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well the GM guys don't measure up to the Furd guys either so why not do a 4.6? Add some boost to your motor if it isn't fast enough for you. If you do go GM make sure you paint your engine bay semi-gloss black, You want the engine to feel at home.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well the GM guys don't measure up to the Furd guys either so why not do a 4.6? Add some boost to your motor if it isn't fast enough for you. If you do go GM make sure you paint your engine bay semi-gloss black, You want the engine to feel at home.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

I have to Disagree... the 4.6 isnt nearly as cheap or available as a LS...

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 04:48 PM

Quote:

If you squeeze 800 hp out of that 2,000 dollar LS, your gonna get a lot of BANG as in KABOOM.

Theres alot of them out there that are proving otherwise... Just adding better rods is taking them even higher...
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 04:52 PM

"Cheap" LS what-evers in my area have 200,000+ miles on them. Hate, what kind of mileage do the $800 LS engines in your area have?

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

"Cheap" LS what-evers in my area have 200,000+ miles on them. Hate, what kind of mileage do the $800 LS engines in your area have?

Most are advertised around 80K-120K... But from my mopar experience the mileage seems to help a bottle motor live... Im gonna try it and find out, I found heads and a mustang to put it in... I have all the nitrous parts already...
Posted By: mopartoby

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 05:16 PM

For a second i thought i was logged into YB.
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Most are advertised around 80K-120K... But from my mopar experience the mileage seems to help a bottle motor live... Im gonna try it and find out, I found heads and a mustang to put it in... I have all the nitrous parts already...

I am glad you decided to build the fox body instead of half breeding a Mopar. I too, have been pondering the idea of an LS in a fox body. I even spent yesterday morning searching racing junk for fox bodies with bow-tie power. I found that rolling fox bodies with a cage (I saw lots of bars in the pics) can be had for as little as $2,000. Other rolling stangs with certified or expired cages for E.T.'s as low as 7.5 or 8.5 for under $10,000 with what looked like good paint. Here is an example, stang .

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 05:29 PM

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1106_turbocharged_hemi_engine/viewall.html

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 05:56 PM

LS1 9.63 with a 60k mile short block aftermarket heads cam and a carb.If i recall he had somewhere in the range of 12k in the whole car.

Attached picture 7442654-juiced.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 09:58 PM

Quote:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1106_turbocharged_hemi_engine/viewall.html

It's not the engine and parts that cost a lot for swapping them in... it's all the other stuff you need. I thought about the swap into my challenger, but I decided to stick with a stroked 440 and add an od trans. Maybe not as good mpg's but more power for less $ overall.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 11:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's not the engine and parts that cost a lot for swapping them in... it's all the other stuff you need. I thought about the swap into my challenger, but I decided to stick with a stroked 440 and add an od trans. Maybe not as good mpg's but more power for less $ overall.

Same here, I've done alot of thinking and searching and I've decided my next build will be another super simple BB stroker.
340Rick put a Gen3 Hemi in his Challenger with a stroker kit and a few little upgrades and it went 9.91 right off the bat, that is just awesome but for me and my tight budget I'm just gonna do my old combo again, a simple 400 block, 440 crank(451 cubes), 590 Purpleshaft cam and some Eddy heads, I went 9.80's with this combo and I'll probably detune the next one and drive it everywhere.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 10/31/12 11:47 PM

Here's a local guys LS fox body turbo swap.

Attached picture 7443250-577177_4758207002495_789991308_n.jpg
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 12:44 AM

I have thought about this swap more than once but looking at it from all the angles I decided I would find a fox mustang or 75 up nova to do it in. Those cars are cheap, can be made light, and suspension parts are abundant/cheap. I have made my BONE STOCK 318 live through 18-19lbs of boost, too much timing, and crappy pumpgas for over a year now and the only problem I have had is a blown head gasket and a cracked piston (piston is still cracked ) Eventually I know it will go out in flaming glory but for $135 at my local yard I can pick up another. For the cost in going to an LS I could build a decent 360 with good rods and pistons and on a conservative tune, still go as fast as I need my street car to be. I like going to local cruise-ins and gathering a crowd to check out my 6 different colored pos, If it had a turbo LS most would pass it by as there are 3 turboed LS cars that come to the same cruise regularly. I'm not a fan of franken-swaps, but I do think the LS platform is the best production engine out there if someone was so inclined. I am still going to a powerglide this winter though

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same here, I've done alot of thinking and searching and I've decided my next build will be another super simple BB stroker.
340Rick put a Gen3 Hemi in his Challenger with a stroker kit and a few little upgrades and it went 9.91 right off the bat, that is just awesome but for me and my tight budget I'm just gonna do my old combo again, a simple 400 block, 440 crank(451 cubes), 590 Purpleshaft cam and some Eddy heads, I went 9.80's with this combo and I'll probably detune the next one and drive it everywhere.

I think I could or with some help eliminate a lot of the costs... but I'd rather keep it more simple. I originally wanted to do it for the fi and add a turbo, which is not keeping it simple, but I may change my mind again.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 12:47 PM

I wouldn't put one in a Mopar, but a turbo'd version in some 4-door sled sounds like fun.

For a Mopar I'd build a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi - they aren't as expensive as stated in this thread, $6000 for a running core? Try $2000~ for a 6.1, half that for a 5.7L and they have just as much potential as an LS.

Attached picture 7444041-bill.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't put one in a Mopar, but a turbo'd version in some 4-door sled sounds like fun.

For a Mopar I'd build a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi - they aren't as expensive as stated in this thread, $6000 for a running core? Try $2000~ for a 6.1, half that for a 5.7L and they have just as much potential as an LS.

Where are u finding running 6.1's for 2K? Not doubting you but if that's the case that's awesome! Everything on EBay seems to be in the 5-6K range for running pull outs

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 04:48 PM

I don't know about the new hemis, but a good running 80k mile 6.0 LQ9 (345 hp) LS motor from the junkyard is $1500 here. I put one in a buddy's truck a few weeks ago.
A 5.3 in the same condition is $750.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 05:58 PM

This thread needs more Gen 3 hemi's.

This:

with one of these shiny things...

Should make a 3400 lb car with a 4 speed and a Dana go into orbit...and then I can turn up the boost.

9lbs on a similar build to mine took a 4300 lb wagon to 1.53 60 foot and 11.0 @ 124...

And I really won't have much at all into it. There are a ton of guys switching up parts over on LXForums for cheap and the fact that there are millions of cars in junk yards makes piecing this stuff together easy.

LsWHAT?

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 06:19 PM

There is a black Magnum at well over 4000 pounds (4400?) That is running in the 9s with a genIII Hemi.

i would say this is moving.....?

9 second Magnum run

Groceries anyone???
9.69 second daily driver

Four doors, creature comforts....
9.27 second Charger

For the off road guys
9.65 second rugged yet plush Jeep

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/01/12 09:17 PM

Quote:

There is a black Magnum at well over 4000 pounds (4400?) That is running in the 9s with a genIII Hemi.

i would say this is moving.....?

9 second Magnum run

Groceries anyone???
9.69 second daily driver

Four doors, creature comforts....
9.27 second Charger

For the off road guys
9.65 second rugged yet plush Jeep

That's Chris. The car is currently getting a 449" Aluminum motor, a bigger blower and he is going for 8's. Also, the car is currently in the UK and is going to compete in the moscow 1000.

Weight reduction isnt in the horuzon lol

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 12:01 AM

Quote:

This:

Should make a 3400 lb car with a 4 speed and a Dana go into orbit...and then I can turn up the boost.

9lbs on a similar build to mine took a 4300 lb wagon to 1.53 60 foot and 11.0 @ 124...

And I really won't have much at all into it. There are a ton of guys switching up parts over on LXForums for cheap and the fact that there are millions of cars in junk yards makes piecing this stuff together easy.

LsWHAT?

More Hemi..OK!! The LS guys are using stock short blocks. This is what you get using stock crank and block from the hemi. I am thinking the GM guys have a better starting point.

Attached picture 7444958-hemidamage005.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This:

LsWHAT?

More Hemi..OK!! The LS guys are using stock short blocks. This is what you get using stock crank and block from the hemi. I am thinking the GM guys have a better starting point.

Yep, that's the Achillies heel of the HEMI, they are very sensitive to boost and can't take what a stock LS can. Throw in a proper set of rods and pistons and its a different story

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This:

LsWHAT?

Yep, that's the Achillies heel of the HEMI, they are very sensitive to boost and can't take what a stock LS can. Throw in a proper set of rods and pistons and its a different story

NO boost,,,and a proper set of rods and pistons were used. All indications point to a poor oiling crankshaft. Before anybody says..."you have to use the 6.1 oil pump"..this engine had a Barnes oil system. I am a Mopar lover/racer, but, the GM people seem to have an advantage in what is available to work with from the factory and their factory seems to work with them.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 02:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This:

LsWHAT?

NO boost,,,and a proper set of rods and pistons were used. All indications point to a poor oiling crankshaft. Before anybody says..."you have to use the 6.1 oil pump"..this engine had a Barnes oil system. I am a Mopar lover/racer, but, the GM people seem to have an advantage in what is available to work with from the factory and their factory seems to work with them.

Ah that's the dirt track engine you built, if I remember correctly it suffered from the same problem that the Drag Pac cars have, high rpm oiling problem (7500+) and takes out the 3&4 rod right? Only a couple of guys (Barton for one) have figured the "secret" it seems, something about oil leaving the crank oil passages at high rpm. Supposedly you can redrill the passages or an aftermarket crank fixes the problem.
Have you figured out what the problem was/is?
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 02:35 AM

If you do spray a stock LS engine, at least pull the pistons out and open up the ring gap. Any stock engine for that matter.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 01:02 PM

Quote:

If you do spray a stock LS engine, at least pull the pistons out and open up the ring gap. Any stock engine for that matter.

Not saying that's not a good idea (b/c it is), but there are a ton of fast GM LS motors being sprayed a lot that have never had the pistons out the block and last a long time.

Here's a simple combo that works...good friend of mine has a '98 Firebird. Stock LS1 shortblock except for ARP rod bolts. Ported factory GM 5.3 truck heads, 240 at .050" cam (hydraulic roller) w/ around .600" lift, FAST intake, headers, 4000 stall, 4L80E OD truck trans, 4.10 geared 12 bolt...3800 or so lbs (nothing taken out of it), still has A/C, cruise, and all factory stuff.
It's been 10.90s on motor and pump gas. On a mild 125 hp shot he's been some tire spinning low 10s at around 134-135 mph. It'll go 9s w/ traction. His wife picks their kids up from school in it, lol.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 01:51 PM

As I always have to say in an LS and Ford infested crowd.

STOCK my AXX!!!

Just like any car, you throw enough Boost or spray at it yeah it will fly BUT for how long?? and what other crap are you going to break?? And what other pieces did you have to change besides engine parts.

I like it when LS and Modular guys start spewing BS about stock this and stock that. I've actually spent about twice the time working on and around those engines as I have Mopars. So I know a little bit about them. Enough to keep the BS flag in my back pocket.

Now back on track show me some 100% stock block and heads LS without the Boost and Giggle juice.

Throwing boost on anything kind of negates the $$$$ factor. That crap is expensive on a cheap day for decent parts. (NOT E-Bay China crap either).

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 02:38 PM

I've got Billet I-beams for it. I'm not worried about blowing a rod. It's built for 25psi. If I stayed with an N/A 6.1, I'd have no problem running a stock 6.1 Rod out to a 6800rpm shift point all day long.

Over 7k and 600rwhp, the rods can be weak.

I'm not suprised that dirt track motor threw a rod. Nobody should be awestrck by that.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 07:42 PM

Quote:

Matt

2010 down aren't encrypted and you can tune to your heart's content....

gen3 hemi's have some inherent advantages over an LS (their more accurately described as polyspheric) head geometry is such the the valve opens away from the cyl wall, reducing valve shrouding for one...

don't see the point in an LS swap....around here, LS motors are just as expensive as gen3 hemi's...used 6L's are going for $2500+, 6.2L's in the $5k range...
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

2010 down aren't encrypted and you can tune to your heart's content....

gen3 hemi's have some inherent advantages over an LS (their more accurately described as polyspheric) head geometry is such the the valve opens away from the cyl wall, reducing valve shrouding for one...

don't see the point in an LS swap....around here, LS motors are just as expensive as gen3 hemi's...used 6L's are going for $2500+, 6.2L's in the $5k range...

This is on Allpar...

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/category/engines-chrysler

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/02/12 10:18 PM

Quote:

Now back on track show me some 100% stock block and heads LS without the Boost and Giggle juice.

Throwing boost on anything kind of negates the $$$$ factor. That crap is expensive on a cheap day for decent parts. (NOT E-Bay China crap either).

Stock Lq4 6.0- $875 to my door
L-92 heads- $890
GMPP hot cam kit- $364 my cost
carbed intake used off ebag- $200
gaskets, oil pumnp, and misc.- $300
Headers off ebag- $200 i think

Grand total of $2829 on hard parts. This is what a friend of mine put together for a customer. With a TH350 trans and big converter it made just a shade over 500whp in a 70 nova. I thinks thats pretty darn good for a N/A pumpgas roller cammed smallblock.

Boost doesn't have to be expensive. ALL my turbo parts are from ebag and china, all were cheap and none have given me a minutes problem. The car is driven/abused atleast 3-4 times a week
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/05/12 01:45 AM

Quote:

Seems funny to me, that in the past 50 or so years, it has been perfectly fine to put a chrysler hemi in just about every car ever made, including fords and chevys. Conversely, it is blasphemy to install a new LS engine in a old mopar. The reason people put a hemi in their cars back in the 50s and 60s, is because the hemi was a better engine for making power, and the after market was supporting it with cool parts like superchargers, pistons, cams, ect. Seems to me, in todays world, the GM LS engine is the better engine for making power. The LS conversion trend in all makes of cars will not stop, because they are well built, well engineered, smaller, lighter, cheaper, extremely well supported by the aftermarket, and make more power per dollar than anything else. I am a mopar guy to, but holding on so strictly to brand loyalty is silliness. How is this disrespectful and embarasing? What about upgrading to cal tracs, GM powerglide trans, Ford 9" rear end, MSD ignition, etc, etc. Why is this considered acceptable with everyone including the new superstock Dodge Challengers? Is this only because you can hide a transmission or rear axle under your car, but an engine is easy to see? Is this a religion or a hobby? I have never seen the book of rules of what you can and can't do with your car. Do what you want and enjoy your car while you can.

Attached picture 7448938-fordhemi.jpg

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/05/12 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Seems funny to me, that in the past 50 or so years, it has been perfectly fine to put a chrysler hemi in just about every car ever made, including fords and chevys. Conversely, it is blasphemy to install a new LS engine in a old mopar. The reason people put a hemi in there hot rod back in the 50s and 60s, was the hemi was a better engine for making power, and the after market was supporting it with cool parts like superchargers, pistons, cams, ect. Seems to me, in todays world, the GM LS engine is the better engine for making power. The LS conversion trend in all makes of cars will not stop, because they are well built, well engineered, smaller, lighter, cheaper, extremely well supported by the aftermarket, and make more power per dollar than anything else. I am a mopar guy to, but holding on so strictly to brand loyalty is silliness. How is this disrespectful and embarrasing? This is called hot rodding, pure and simple. Is this a religion or a car??

That`s what forums are for.........different strokes,different ideas and opinions. I could care less if an ls-1 was free and made 800hp on pump gas, there`s no way I`d sell out my dart to that crap.........ever. SILLINESS is your reasoning for why it`s NORMAL and HOT RODDING as you call it..............
Posted By: D-50

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/05/12 02:32 AM

I agree with Thumper.

Attached picture 7449018-CIMG0081.JPG

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/05/12 03:51 AM

Thankxxx...............And of course people have been puttin hemi`s in other brands........the hemi is THE baddest motor ever produced so it only makes sense but a late model ls-1 in a Mopar. You guy`s have lost your minds AND loyalty........say what you will. Yellowbullet is calling..............

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/05/12 09:53 AM

I gotta agree with Thumper but I also agree everyone has the right to put what ever eng they want in there car. I am just old school from the 60's and I like when a Mopar beat a Ford or a Ford beat a Chevy. Just the way I have always been with the brand eng in the car. Nobody is going to like all cars anyway as everyone has different taste. I can tell you that I get bored watchung the top fuel and funny car on tv since they all look the same. I like to root for the car I like and even though I am Mopar first with all the fueler's running Hemi's it gets boring on tv. Course in real life live action its a different story to just hear one of them beast run. Ron
Posted By: LSP

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/06/12 12:56 AM

Heck, the small block Mopar guys beat up on the big block Mopar guys, and vise versa, on this site.

Talking about any brand X stuff here might trigger World War 3 LOL.

I'll admit I like some LS stuff, hard to believe that some GM engineers got paid when all they did was copy a 426 Hemi block bottom end, and put a Ford cam/head in/on it.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/09/12 05:48 AM

Quote:

I agree with Thumper.

So I assume that D50 is still Mitsubishi powered?

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/09/12 07:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with Thumper.

So I assume that D50 is still Mitsubishi powered?

Are you goint to Irwindale anytime soon? Might go next thu. w/a friend and his blue fox-body......runs 5.40`s-50`s on spray.
Posted By: MMiller

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/09/12 02:04 PM

No LS1s in a Mopar around here. I caught so much crap in my life that a SBC will make my Dodges run better, only to prove them wrong week in and week out. I won't be putting Chevy power in anything thats not Chevy...........

However, my Ford friend and I have always wanted to take a 57 Chevy and put a 440 in it, so it runs properly, and show it often. That should make up for all the "hot rods" running around with a "tree-fity" in them.

Michael
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/09/12 02:28 PM

Quote:

Is this a religion or a hobby? I have never seen the book of rules of what you can and can't do with your car. Do what you want and enjoy your car while you can.

Drag racing is a hobby. Mopar is a religion. I got my book of rules in 1983. It was over 1000 pages printed on thin india paper just like a bible, and it said "Direct Connection" on the cover.

I have never owned, or rebuilt, or raced a flathead, a small block chevy, a big block chevy, or an LS, and I'm fairly certain I never will. But if you're willing to sell your soul to save a few bucks or go a few tenths quicker have at it!

Don't know why you had to go bringing up all that PowerGlide/ nine inch talk though...that's hitting a little too close to home!!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/09/12 03:14 PM

Hmm, no LS, powerglide or 9" here...
And I like it that way.
Posted By: OUTLAW MOPAR

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/22/12 05:06 PM

LS GM motor in your mopar, 1000 hp no issue and crazy fuel mileage. I call total BULL S#!%. I have been around too many of nuked ls bottle bombs. Take into account the $3000 tpical running engine price
and compared to late hemi cylinder head flow the ls is meager at best. The valvetrain is really to weak to support a serious spring setup without a $2700 jesel or td rocker system. Unless you buy a ls 7 or 9 the heads aint great just ok. You know there are plenty of magnum truck motors with hyd rollercams and blowers pushing 1000 hp too. KRC perf pulled this off long ago. Down with ls crap.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/22/12 05:30 PM

Quote:

LS GM motor in your mopar, 1000 hp no issue and crazy fuel mileage. I call total BULL S#!%. I have been around too many of nuked ls bottle bombs. Take into account the $3000 tpical running engine price
and compared to late hemi cylinder head flow the ls is meager at best. The valvetrain is really to weak to support a serious spring setup without a $2700 jesel or td rocker system. Unless you buy a ls 7 or 9 the heads aint great just ok. You know there are plenty of magnum truck motors with hyd rollercams and blowers pushing 1000 hp too. KRC perf pulled this off long ago. Down with ls crap.

MY HERO.................

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/22/12 06:56 PM

Ive never been one to fall for all the hype. One claims 1200hp with a 5.3 truck engine and all of a sudden everything else is junk. Im still waiting to see all these 1000hp "stock" engines. Its internet hype and legends created from bs.
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/23/12 02:21 AM

I find a couple things mentioned here quite humorous. One is the BES Engine Masters GenIII hemi, which was an unlimited dollar build. Hardly a "best bang for the buck" deal.
The other thing is how often "the hemi head out flows the LS head" was mentioned. A very small piece of the overall picture. Carry on.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/23/12 02:36 AM

Just like all the unlimited $ LS entries it beat, I know they're all dyno queens but it proved the HEMI can run (outrun?) with an LS engine given the same rules. True the better HEMI heads are a small part of the puzzle, but it's a major part, as the LS and HEMI are very similar block wise and HP is heavily dependent on airflow.
I have a lot of respect for the LS but its not the end all be all some make it out to be
Posted By: JackGTX440

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 01:29 AM

Quote:

Ive never been one to fall for all the hype. One claims 1200hp with a 5.3 truck engine and all of a sudden everything else is junk. Im still waiting to see all these 1000hp "stock" engines. Its internet hype and legends created from bs.

Well, it isn't a 5.3, but it is a 4.8.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/
Posted By: super451b

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 02:25 AM

Saw this one at Thompson a couple weeks ago. They were having trouble keeping it from going to the right. That things gonna fly when they get it sorted out.434 cu. in. LS3
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 03:33 AM

SLOW67
I call BS!

Quote:

L-92 heads- $890

Grand total of $2829 on hard parts. This is what a friend of mine put together for a customer. With a TH350 trans and big converter it made just a shade over 500whp in a 70 nova. I thinks thats pretty darn good for a N/A pumpgas roller cammed smallblock.

You don't make 500 wheel HP with junk.
So you are telling me that this nova runs mid
to low nines for under 3 grand???
Aint happening without a power adder

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 03:50 AM

Quote:

SLOW67
I call BS!

Quote:

L-92 heads- $890

a 500hp 70 nova isn't running close to 9's. Unless it's a gutted, glassed, lexan race car. But then it's still just a Nova

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 08:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, it isn't a 5.3, but it is a 4.8.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

That is impressive with a stock bottom end for sure. They still pulled it apart,ported the heads,changed valve springs and put in a different cam and lifters.Plus it has a $800 intake on it.
Posted By: OUTLAW MOPAR

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 02:56 PM

Question for all. as anyone on this forum actually built an LS engine, well i have built 4 of them ground up. One 5.3 two 6.0 one Ls 7 all except the ls7 with one or another with some sort of aftermarket head and port work. All had jesels except the 5.3 which had comp stud setup. All ran stand alone efi ( big money medioker output for $ spent ) but all left happy but i wasn't. The best one made 545hp 520tq 6700 rev hp and p 5400tq at flywheel. The ls7 was an 11000 engine in parts with no labor involved. In contrast 2 months ago i built a 418 / 340 block w2 headed hughes solid flat 10.5 comp MOPAR at just over 7000 parts cost and made 560hp 550tq at rear wheels!!!!! OH and at 6400hp and 4800tq TOTAL BAD ASS relative cheap. I am a die hard MOPAR freak but sometimes you need to know your enemy to know how defeat them.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 03:43 PM

That is impressive with a stock bottom end for sure. They still pulled it apart,ported the heads,changed valve springs and put in a different cam and lifters.Plus it has a $800 intake on it.

Well, I have a buddy with an 01 trans am grudge race car that makes over 1200 to the tire and has the plastic intake on it. I'm a Mopar guy through and through, but an LS with a bunch of boost and a lot of factory parts is an absolute killer. This car is also a street car. He drives it to work all the time.

I think the point was kinda missed here. The point was over 1200hp was made on a stock block and stock rotating assy. A gen3 hemi can't even get half way there on stock pistons an rods. I am currently building what should be a 1000hp 6.1, and it sucks that I have to replace the entire rotating assy because of ring lands, rods that fly apart and a crank that doesn't oil, and the GM guys don't even have to take theirs apart. Think about it, you could literally build a car that could go high 8's and not have to pull the block out of the car.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/25/12 10:46 PM

Why are mopar powdered metal rods such sh@t compared to GMS? Same with the hyper pistons,what's different? The LSA engines even use hyper pistols? Where did they screw up that ma mopars stuff is so inferior when its the same material?

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/26/12 09:46 PM

Quote:

Think about it, you could literally build a car that could go high 8's and not have to pull the block out of the car.

It wouldn't live long if your talking about a full bodied car going 8's.....They are a great engine, but they aren't magic. My brother's shop has built several in the 8's, but they sure aren't stock shortblock motors. my

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Think about it, you could literally build a car that could go high 8's and not have to pull the block out of the car.

how's that? I mean you are swapping the entire rotating assembly, heads, valve train, intake and whatever else. You are not going to run 8's in anything w/ a stock, production short block. Maybe if it was in a 1800lb rail car. I guess Anybody could do it by that logic if all you are using is a block.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 03:34 AM

I bet you could 8.99 in a 3000# f-body with a stock short block for at least a couple few events. The point is, it will live for a while and the genIII's will melt pistons and break rods at half that power. I love the genIII. I'm building one as we speak. I'm just saying, it has a few major things in the lower end that won't let it live stock where an LS can and have lived for a long time.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 04:58 AM

Why in the hell are we still even talkin about LS-1 chevys and how great they are?..............
Posted By: Winchester 73

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 05:59 AM

i love my mopars and i would never put an ls1 in my stuff but i felt a little pull in that direction when i got treated like i had leaprosy for putting a 383 in my car

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 08:45 AM

Quote:

Thumperdart: Why in the hell are we still even talkin about LS-1 chevys and how great they are?..............

Because LSx's are pretty frickin' great, that's why.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 02:25 PM

Quote:

Why in the hell are we still even talkin about LS-1 chevys and how great they are?..............

Dont know......dont care.

It just dont sound right ......... Ls-1 Hemi Cuda......na.............Ls-1 6pk A-12 Roadrunner.........na...................LS-1 Max Wedge......definetly NO.................I will stick with 426 Max Wedge. Ron

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 02:57 PM

Quote:

I bet you could 8.99 in a 3000# f-body with a stock short block for at least a couple few events. The point is, it will live for a while and the genIII's will melt pistons and break rods at half that power. I love the genIII. I'm building one as we speak. I'm just saying, it has a few major things in the lower end that won't let it live stock where an LS can and have lived for a long time.

Bee Ess, a few as in 3 runs because you'd need a 300 shot to get there. If it was that easy every car at the track would have one.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 03:13 PM

The LSx platform is good and the Bowtie boys are lucky to have it, as are the blue oval guys lucky to have the coyote. And here we are stuck with that darned ol Hemi. So it needs a few aftermarket parts to make it reliable in extreme applications, the block and heads are up to the task so the foundation is there and hopefully the engineers are taking note and some of these weak spots will be addressed in future upgrades and Mopar Performance parts. I am plenty prowd of what we do have. No I would never put a LSx in a Mopar or a hemi in a 55 Chevy.
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 03:21 PM

Quote:

Thumperdart: Why in the hell are we still even talkin about LS-1 chevys and how great they are?..............

Thumper!

Quote:

Hey topbent!
Then if they are soooo great, get outta dodge already. Go join the ls boys, we aint gonna miss ya!

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Then go put one in YOUR Mopar and show the rest how weak and ignorant you really are...............

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

The LSx platform is good and the Bowtie boys are lucky to have it, as are the blue oval guys lucky to have the coyote. And here we are stuck with that darned ol Hemi. So it needs a few aftermarket parts to make it reliable in extreme applications, the block and heads are up to the task so the foundation is there and hopefully the engineers are taking note and some of these weak spots will be addressed in future upgrades and Mopar Performance parts. I am plenty prowd of what we do have. No I would never put a LSx in a Mopar or a hemi in a 55 Chevy.

WELL SAID.
Posted By: DRAG-ULA

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 11/27/12 07:45 PM

[quote 1964superstock]

Seems funny to me, that in the past 50 or so years, it has been perfectly fine to put a chrysler hemi in just about every car ever made, including fords and chevys. Conversely, it is blasphemy to install a new LS engine in a old mopar. The reason people put a hemi in their cars back in the 50s and 60s, is because the hemi was a better engine for making power, and the after market was supporting it with cool parts like superchargers, pistons, cams, ect. Seems to me, in todays world, the GM LS engine is the better engine for making power. The LS conversion trend in all makes of cars will not stop, because they are well built, well engineered, smaller, lighter, cheaper, extremely well supported by the aftermarket, and make more power per dollar than anything else. I am a mopar guy to, but holding on so strictly to brand loyalty is silliness. How is this disrespectful and embarasing? What about upgrading to cal tracs, GM powerglide trans, Ford 9" rear end, MSD ignition, etc, etc. Why is this considered acceptable with everyone including the new superstock Dodge Challengers? Is this only because you can hide a transmission or rear axle under your car, but an engine is easy to see? Is this a religion or a hobby? I have never seen the book of rules of what you can and can't do with your car. Do what you want and enjoy your car while you can.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

So many people on this site are soooo close minded it baffles me. I get it, this is a Mopar site, but damn, calling people who swap a chevy or ford into a Mopar a traitor? This isn't a war, we're all car guys on the same team. I can see not putting a 454 in a HemiCuda, but if your car is a run of the mill A/B/E body, who cares? Have fun, that's what it's all about.

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 12/03/12 08:20 PM

Quote:

SLOW67
I call BS!

Quote:

L-92 heads- $890

I didn't say it ran mid to low nines did I? Nope, I just stated what kind of power it made on the dyno. I was there and helped get the carb/timing where it needed to be so you can call BS all you want atleast I know I was there and what I saw This was a full interior street car with a 72 year old owner so it will probably never make a pass down the track so I can't say what it runs there.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 12/03/12 08:47 PM

i dont like the valve covers...lol

Re: Anyone put a LS in their Mopar yet? - 12/03/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Bee Ess, a few as in 3 runs because you'd need a 300 shot to get there. If it was that easy every car at the track would have one.

I didn't say a 300 shot. It is more like 20psi with a S488.
© 2024 Moparts Forums