Moparts

Best way to attach mufflers to my headers?

Posted By: Hunted Duck

Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 01:01 AM

I have headman headers that are coated without flanges. So what is the best way to attach mufflers? Should I weld them on? Or are the mufflers bands any good?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 01:08 AM

I use the bands, but I use them only in a temporary situation - to street test drive. They actually seal quite well.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 01:09 AM

I have used the bands, and they do work, but get the step style and have the pipe expand to go over the collector. Thats what I did, and never had a problem with them coming lose and or falling off..
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 01:15 AM

Quote:

I have used the bands, and they do work, but get the step style and have the pipe expand to go over the collector. Thats what I did, and never had a problem with them coming lose and or falling off..

Attached picture 7436514-exhaust.jpg

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 01:26 AM

Thanks for the info so far. Want to go with a quiet muffler. Any suggestions on a muffler that is quiet?
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 03:11 AM

You going to sneak up on the competition

I like my Dynomax 6" round muffs FWIW

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 03:24 AM

Quote:

You going to sneak up on the competition

I like my Dynomax 6" round muffs FWIW

Heck ya
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 03:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info so far. Want to go with a quiet muffler. Any suggestions on a muffler that is quiet?

Magnaflow 3.0 or 3.5 inch inlet and outlet in the 14x7 oval muffs mounted behind the rear end housing exiting at the rear bumper
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 03:30 AM

I slid the mufflers over the headers and drilled two holes in each and ran screws into them. Just unscrew the two screws on each muffler to take them off
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 03:49 AM

Did the same thing but I used pop rivets instead of screws. No crush on the muff.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 06:57 AM

There is a darn near local to me outfit ( hearttthrob exhaust )that will custom make pipes for you....I plan on having them whip up a slip on pipe for the 3 1/2" collector and weld the muffler to that.
I am puzzling over necking it down to 3 " or not , but plan on about 3 feet of pipe before the muffler with turn downs pointing at each other to try and attract a little less attention on the street.
Something about cancelling frequencies I read once...if I am misguided in my thinking , when you're done laughing , correct me.
Posted By: Cudafied

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 10:43 AM

I used band clamps with tabs welded to the frame to hold the exhaust up

Posted By: ProSport

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 10:59 AM

I ran the Magnaflow race mufflers and the Pypes Race Pro mufflers, neither slowed the car down at all and sound nice!

Re: Best way to attach mufflers to my headers? - 10/27/12 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys. My collectors are 3 1/2.
© 2024 Moparts Forums