Moparts

Drag slick questions

Posted By: moparmikethree

Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 04:38 PM

Who makes the best drag slicks, also good street cheaters

What air pressure do you use, and do you spin balance slicks?
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 04:52 PM

I've had excellent results from Hoosier slicks. I only run their lightweight radial slicks because I normally run on very well prepared tracks. They are a little faster, but sensitive to track conditions/prep. But for most applications, I would recommend their regular, bias ply slicks. They are less sensitive to marginal track conditions and will be more consistent. Consistency is what wins bracket races.

Air pressure will vary with every combination. Using wider wheels can allow the use of higher air pressure while still maintaining a full "footprint", reduce sidewall flex and help stability on the top end. I have 9" slicks on 10" wheels and have been running 21 lbs in them. But you would need to experiment to see whats best for your combo.

Post some car info as well as tire and wheel sizes you are considering and someone may have a similar set-up that can offer a starting point for air pressure.

Hoosier also has a variety of sticky DOT street tires.

Hoosier drag tires
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 06:04 PM

Those are ambiguous questions either you want drag slicks (radial or biased), drag radials or biased street strip tires?

or both slicks and streets strip

Do you have a 1400 lb T bucket or a 4000 lb Charger

you have 7 in rims or 22 inch monsters

400 hp or 1500 hp

Tire pressures can be 5 lb to 25 lb there is a lot of variables

I like Phoenix slicks.
Got goodyears now I like Phoenix slicks

Re: Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 07:44 PM

I was just trying to get a general ideal. this is a 70 Challenger
727 trans about 3400lbs, aprox 450 flywheel hp. This weekend was my first time out ever (Drag Racing). I got the RT to a .032 on a .000
light. 60' was 2.2 with spin, thats why I asked about a good tire, weather a slick or a Cheater (dot)
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 08:05 PM

I have a 71 cuda, and I am running the M&H Streetmaster DOT slicks. My best 60' so far is 1.88, but I am only running mid 12's.

Re: Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 08:22 PM

rear gears are 3:23.
later i found i never got in 3rd gear.

ran 98.8mph 14.04 et
No tach in car shifted by sound, kick down is adjusted wronk
when full throttle trans does not go into third.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 08:39 PM

You need to be much more specific... its different for everyone and every car...
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Drag slick questions - 10/17/12 09:34 PM

What are the other racers at your local track useing? Theres probally a reason why there are more of 1 brand slick that other brands.
© 2024 Moparts Forums