Moparts

who will admit it???

Posted By: earthmover

who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 04:28 AM

you had more fun back when the race car was a street car that you could drive anywhere??? cost little to nothing cause parts was just something you had or picked up along the way..i know i am not the only 1.... now every time you do something its 100.00 here and 100.00 there or more with the race car..lol gotta love horse power
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 04:48 AM

I love going fast BUT I did have more fun running
10.0 without all the BS of certs and all the other
stuff... thats why I'm building the new car... street
strip and should run low 10s.... good enough for me
now days
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 05:05 AM

I'm happy with a 10-second street car / weekend warrior.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 07:08 AM

I was even more happy talkin s##t at the local hangout and heading out of town at 2am to "settle things".
Posted By: Dragula

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 10:39 AM

Quote:

X2 and that is all we build for.

My "street" car went a 6.9 in the 1/8th off the trailer the other week just testing and tuning. Our other car also runs pump gas but is a fully caged big tire car runs 10.0 or 6.41 with a mild big block...Get in, turn the key, and go.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 11:00 AM

I think I was happier when my car was in the 12s high 11s. Street driven no roll bar or the scam of new belts every 2 years.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 11:09 AM

I've never had a purpose built racecar. I've always driven my junk on the street. I like being able to throw a couple of straw bales in the back and still run 10's.Dave
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 11:38 AM

Quote:

I was even more happy talkin s##t at the local hangout and heading out of town at 2am to "settle things".

I'm sure I have NO IDEA what you're talking about..

And, YES... It was soooo much fun.. 9's in 1980 with a 68 Street Dart.. $$$$$$$ for me :tounge:

Drove a 64 Maxie to school daily in 1976..

Chris..
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 12:36 PM

My racecars ARE my streetcars and everything costs $1000+.....including fuel.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 01:38 PM

Quote:

X3, I could never justify having a "race car", my street/strip Dart is perfectly happy on pump 93. It'll go 6.60s in the 1/8 and 1.41 60' through the mufflers on drag radials with 4.10 gears.

I went racing back in September, there was a guy pitted close to me that had a nice 68 Camaro, full cage, 14-32s that sounded great. It was hot and my car went 6.73 on the first pass. The guy comes over and starts quizzing me about the car, finally he shakes his head and walks off. Later on in the night I see him pulling into his pit, the dial on his car was 6.85 . I think I hurt his feelings, gotta love these small block strokers .
Posted By: tboomer

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 01:50 PM

Mine is too far gone to be a street car...But it would be a blast!!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

you had more fun back when the race car was a street car that you could drive anywhere??? cost little to nothing cause parts was just something you had or picked up along the way..i know i am not the only 1.... now every time you do something its 100.00 here and 100.00 there or more with the race car..lol gotta love horse power

Actually my street car is my race car when I race then my street car when I cruise around, get groceries or chase parts.................but, parts are still expensive either way.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 04:17 PM

My 10 second street/race car was a lot of fun. But it has caused me a significant amount of $$$$ and grief this year.

I did have more fun when the car ran 12.50 and was my daily driver.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 04:58 PM

Build a heads up small tire car. The 100$ here and there turns to 500$ here and there.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 05:06 PM

This was my solution.

Attached picture 7415021-two300's.jpg
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 05:42 PM

My race car is, and always will be street legal, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My kids love riding around town in the Barracuda. My wife likes it for going out on data nights in the cuda....and me, I like having a 10 second street car ...but parts have never been "cheap", well, at least I don't seem to remember the cheap parts. I seem to only remember the one's that cost an arm and a leg....selective memory I guess
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:05 PM

Myself.. I hate working on street cars with all the performace stuff.
I'd rather keep my racer seperate and go to the track instead of screwing around on the street. Keep my street car mostly stock.

Attached picture 7415082-wchra#2.jpg
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:06 PM

My weekend when I'm not racin Car

Attached picture 7415084-Vertatwork.jpg
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:11 PM

When I had a race car, it was just as much fun as my street cars. It was the escalating cost of the race car that took the fun out of it.

The fun started going away on the race car 20+ years ago when aluminum heads for BB Mopars came about. I felt compeled to go beyond the old but economical 440/906/.590 combo which ran a best of 10.10@131. $3000+ head packages, $1000+ roller cam setups, $$$$$ stroker pkgs took a lot of fun out of it. Also the fact I now had a car that ran quicker than 10.0, meaning more money for chassis cert, safety gear, license requirements.
I had enough of the cost and sold the race car 14 years ago.
I still have the same street cars.
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:40 PM

I never wanted to make my Cuda a race only car,friends wanted me to join their team of matching Cuda drag cars,called Double Vision racing,I said nope..glad I didn't,they've closed just about every track near here.
Mine runs mid 10's,haven't had alot of runs at the track because of the closures,its not real radical,convertor is kinda tight,{hence my lame 60fts!},but have driven it on the last two Car Craft Anti Tours,I like driving it on the street,.it's fun,been pretty reliable,so far .
Posted By: Dragula

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:40 PM

I will be the first to admit I do a lot less street driving than I used to, but we still keep the cars pump gas and street legal. Seems it helps when selling them, and if/when racing becomes too much of an issue, I can just poodle down to cruise nights in my 10s car....And take a break from racing. Unfortunetly, here where I live we get a natural break in racing, we call it winter...
Posted By: Crizila

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:48 PM

Quote:

When I had a race car, it was just as much fun as my street cars. It was the escalating cost of the race car that took the fun out of it.

The fun started going away on the race car 20+ years ago when aluminum heads for BB Mopars came about. I felt compeled to go beyond the old but economical 440/906/.590 combo which ran a best of [Email]10.10@131.[/Email] $3000+ head packages, $1000+ roller cam setups, $$$$$ stroker pkgs took a lot of fun out of it. Also the fact I now had a car that ran quicker than 10.0, meaning more money for chassis cert, safety gear, license requirements.
I had enough of the cost and sold the race car 14 years ago.
I still have the same street cars.

This scenerio is more common then a lot of us would like to admit. Ya gotta have a realistic goal and stick to it. Trying to keep up with the jone's is a big mistake. BTW, there is little linkage between "street legal" and being "streetable".
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:55 PM

??? never had anything fast enought to trailer and I race classes that cost $35-40. I drive to the track and home if I break it I have AAA Plus...
Posted By: gch

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 06:56 PM

Never had anything faster than a low 11 second vette and that thing broke me.
My C body runs mid 12's when I charge the battery and crank it lol.

I would be perfectly content to have a 10 second car on motor and hit it with a 150 shot when I need some adrenaline or want to get tossed off the track.

Anyone loan me some money........... .......

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 09:44 PM

Quote:

Build a heads up small tire car. The 100$ here and there turns to 500$ here and there.

you my friend have the money...lol i have been to your shop and to see all the cool cars...
Posted By: ProSport

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 09:54 PM

I've admitted it many times LOL. I ran 9 second cars for quite a few years, now I'm dying to put everything I've learned into a mild drive anywhere street car that can still lay down a low 11 ET. No more truck, trailer, race gas, slicks, etc for me.
Posted By: Butch

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/10/12 10:17 PM

Bob I think I know you fairly well and I'll bet that after hanging out at the track you will want to go faster be squeezing every hundredth of a second out like you've done for years on your previous cars
Posted By: ROSSIO

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 12:07 AM

i admit,when we're up in the staging lanes,i look over at other racers with 10 or 11 sec cars and say to them "thats when it was fun" and they look over at my 8 sec dart and say "really"-i say YES.
but you have an 8 sec car--yes i do and it takes alot of money and is worth it but it was alot cheaper and easier when the car ran 10's,i miss those days.it is my choice to have this and i wanted a big cube motor before i got too old.
8.80s @ 155mph---lic,tag,insured wipers,lights,t/signals and it still has a back seat --on 10.5 tires

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 12:10 AM

I know Butch I know lol. It'll probably never see a track anyways, no time for it. I just need you to make me a smokin deal on your Duster so I can get back in the game.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 12:12 AM

My race car IS a slow street car that I can drive anywhere.
Posted By: Butch

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 12:35 AM

Quote:

I know Butch I know lol. It'll probably never see a track anyways, no time for it. I just need you to make me a smokin deal on your Duster so I can get back in the game.

Not yet Bob
I might be old but I'm not dead. Besides racing is a great replacement for sex.

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 01:27 AM

Besides racing is a great replacement for thinking.

i fixed it for you.. i know you didnt say that...lol

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 01:45 AM

Posted By: fbs63

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 01:48 AM

I have admitted it many times. Once you get the "go faster" bug there's no cure. And a fast car is like a second job.

Attached picture 7415788-CarPic1(2).jpg
Posted By: StrkrDart69

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 03:30 AM

11.5 is good enough for me. No cage and I can get in and drive anywhere and no problems. Would not change a thing.
Posted By: 383man

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 05:08 AM

I knew I could not afford to build a race only car so I built my 63 as a street car that I can drive to the track and race sometimes as I do love racing it and driving it as much as I can. I kept it as close to stock body wise as I could. No tubs just SS springs stock gas tank with stock 3/8 sending unit. Everything works including the radio , horn , wipers all the factory lights and I still use the factory ign switch. I like the interior as close to stock as I can keep it and it still has stock seats. Trunk is stock as it the front suspension other then 90/10 shocks. I even still have the stock power drum brakes. I built the eng with dished pistons for 10.6 comp with EZ heads and it has good quench that I can drive and race it on 92 pump with no problem. I tried to keep the eng as simple as I can so I dont break alot of things. You can see me run 10's and then drive the highway going home. It is so much fun as I go to the local cruises and hear all the guys who claim to run 10's and 9's and want to race me on the street. I say no just bring it to the track but most never do. You know how someone races a car from a roll that says he goes 11's so the guy who beats him says he has a 10 second car because of that. The stories are really fun to listen too. I also added frame connectors and a 6 point rollbar so I can legally run 10's with no hassle. And the car drives so nice you would not think it can go 10's. And it is much cheaper to just put $20 dollars of gas in it and go to a cruise or car show when you dont have the cash to go racing. I really enjoy street/strip cars. Ron
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 02:26 PM

I will admit it...I'm probably never going to go a whole lot faster than I already am because I know what goes along with it, and my response to that is 'no thanks'...I just want to be somewhere in the 10s and I'm good with that for now. Sure, later on I'd like to pick up a little here and there for fun, but nothing drastic. My friends say 10.80s should not be a problem with some chassis work and that would be great....I am in no hurry for it.

I've got too many other interests in life to go too berserk with just one thing, and other interests in the mopar world that don't have anything to do with drag racing.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 02:40 PM

Of course on the flip side... we scattered our 9 sec small block back in February. We are currently getting our engine we ran prior ready which is a low 11/high ten 360. For how often I race that SHOULD be the logical choice for me....but I'm already schemeing how to piece together another 9 sec mill.... only FASTER!!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/11/12 03:04 PM

There is no finer rush than getting slammed into
the seat on a quick car that is designed for racing
Posted By: quickd100

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/12/12 12:58 AM

Quote:

Or a quick street driven unit.Dave
Posted By: skep419

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/12/12 02:08 AM

Finally got my car to the track (for the last race of the season) ran a best of 7.88 in the 1/8. The track is 1hr 15min away. My goal is to run as fast as I can without a cage. I have a truck because I need 4x4 to get to work in the winter. Picked up a trailer for 1200 just in case I break at the track.

I have everything except a clutch and shifter to make it a 4 speed car. But now that I'm seeing Mshred switch to a 904 my insperation is gone.

Dart at the Grove Creek
Posted By: justinp61

Re: who will admit it??? - 10/12/12 02:13 AM

Quote:

It feels pretty good to go 1.41 60' in street trim too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums