Moparts

Aeromotive fuel pump stalls??

Posted By: 1962Savoy

Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/06/12 09:02 PM

I have a Aeromotive 2000 pump and a matching speed control box so I can drive my car on the street. For some reason unknown to me the pump shuts down intermittently, could be a block may maybe two but I don't get very far? It was working fine and now this! Any Ideas what may cause this? the tech at aeromotive is stumped as well.
Thanks

Attached picture 7409704-IMGP2546.JPG
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/06/12 10:38 PM

Bad tach signal?
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/06/12 11:11 PM

Could the pump be getting hot from no air movement around it?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/06/12 11:58 PM

Well you could put a smaller line feeding the filter with some more 90* bends! I can tell you right there it will give you trouble on the street when the fuel heats up...As far as the controller, never ran one or saw the need for one...Vapor lock will occur if you restrict inlet fuel. And why do I not see a return line off the pump?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 12:50 AM

I agree with Dragula.

That's a tiny feed line, it needs to be bigger.
What micron is the filter?
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 01:52 AM

hard to tell in pic but is pump even below the cell.

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 02:05 AM

The pump controller works off what rpm the engine is running at or tach signal. I have the same controller on my car. I figure you have a bad signal going to the controller. If the controller does not see a signal it does not tell the pump to run. Or you have the max output for the pump set at to high rpm.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/16306.pdf

Also you may be losing key on power to it while it is running thus shutting the pump down.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 02:28 AM

Check your tank vent... looks kinda small + its looped, could have some fuel @ the low spot in the bend blocking air flow
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 12:19 PM

Quote:

The pump controller works off what rpm the engine is running at or tach signal. I have the same controller on my car. I figure you have a bad signal going to the controller. If the controller does not see a signal it does not tell the pump to run. Or you have the max output for the pump set at to high rpm.

Also you may be losing key on power to it while it is running thus shutting the pump down.

Controller or not, that inlet line will never work under hi demand and hi heat, no way. It will slowly kill the pump, I bet some of you have been there...

Plus I need to know more about the filter in front of the pump.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 12:42 PM

The filter before the pump is prolly 100micron and the one after is 10micron! Thats is what aeromotive recomends anyways and how my new system is setup. man that pump looks kinds above where it pulls from cell...also the fitting coming right outta the fuel cell before the filter looks like a 6 then an 8 after. could be wrong though.

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Controller or not, that inlet line will never work under hi demand and hi heat, no way. It will slowly kill the pump, I bet some of you have been there...

Plus I need to know more about the filter in front of the pump.

The controller is ment to promote pump life by not heating up the fuel from constant full load. Only goes to full load at the rpm like 4500 or up you set it to. Much like the timing advance curve in a mechanical distributor. From what he is saying is the pump shuts off completely, or at least thats what I understand he is saying.
Posted By: Mad Dart

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/07/12 05:08 PM

Too much $$ at risk to be running Aeromotive products for my taste. Guys have had great success running the Walbro GSL-392's. They are $100 each and I run them in Multiples. No pump controller needed, They are quieter, less expensive, reliable, will lift fuel, act as a dead head pump if turning them on at different times and flow some serious fuel. I am running dual 10an feeds from the Cell to the manifold and 10an feed to the regulator. 8an return. This set up here in triplets is good for over 1600 Boosted EFI HP.

Attached picture 7410730-phpmyA57TPM.jpg
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Aeromotive fuel pump stalls?? - 10/08/12 12:18 AM

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/11202.pdf

I don't see where you plumbed the return line off the pump itself, just on the other side of the motor.

Fuel line is too small as well. They recommend -10, I use -12 inlet and -10 all the way to the regulator. Works great thus far. Good luck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums