Moparts

Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler?

Posted By: 67Satty

Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 12:17 AM

I've got a B&M Supercooler on my car. Right now it is routed to the radiator trans cooler first then the B&M auxiliary cooler.

What are most people doing with their street/strip cars? Running through both the radiator trans cooler and auxiliary trans cooler or bypassing the radiator trans cooler and just running in and out of the auxiliary trans cooler?

The car is in a warm climate here in SoCal and I'm running a Dynamic 9.5 converter and a deep pan. Thanks for any feedback.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 12:30 AM

I always bypass the radiator.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 12:41 AM

x2.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 01:40 AM

Quote:

x2.

Agreed.............why add more heat.........
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 02:34 AM

I don't agree. Conventional wisdom is to pass through the radiator first, then on to the dedicated cooler. The radiator, while not as effective as a good dedicated cooler, is going to offer some cooling effect. The trans fluid on the out side of the tranny is likely in the 180 - 200 range; the coolant in the cool side of the radiator is most likely quite a bit cooler than that. Might as well run it through there to at least start the cooling process. It certainly cant hurt, and will only make the dedicated cooler that much more effective.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 07:08 AM

Put a trans. temperature gauge in it and see what it runs, Dominick, Thumperdart, did and found out that his trans was running way cooler than it should have been run ATF needs to be ran at or above 160 F in a street car for the additives to work properly Yoou may need to run the fluid through the radiator to get it to run at those temps, maybe not
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 09:42 AM

Quote:

I don't agree. Conventional wisdom is to pass through the radiator first, then on to the dedicated cooler. The radiator, while not as effective as a good dedicated cooler, is going to offer some cooling effect. The trans fluid on the out side of the tranny is likely in the 180 - 200 range; the coolant in the cool side of the radiator is most likely quite a bit cooler than that. Might as well run it through there to at least start the cooling process. It certainly cant hurt, and will only make the dedicated cooler that much more effective.

Posted By: jamesc

Re: Auxiliary Trans Cooler: Bypass Radiator Cooler? - 10/03/12 06:21 PM

Quote:

I've got a B&M Supercooler on my car. Right now it is routed to the radiator trans cooler first then the B&M auxiliary cooler.

What are most people doing with their street/strip cars? Running through both the radiator trans cooler and auxiliary trans cooler or bypassing the radiator trans cooler and just running in and out of the auxiliary trans cooler?

The car is in a warm climate here in SoCal and I'm running a Dynamic 9.5 converter and a deep pan. Thanks for any feedback.

leave it alone you have it installed correctly
© 2024 Moparts Forums