Moparts

Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball

Posted By: qwkmopardan

Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 02:32 AM

Why??????????? So he could poke the whole Mopar crowd in the eye and make the fastest pass of the weekend????? He all-most succeeded if that was his goal. 4.01 at 185mph 1/8th mile in an adrl 10.5 tire car. 2nd only to the Lake Erie Monster dragster that went 3.79 at 186 mph.
I remember when his dad ran a Plymouth Arrow in pro stock and was allmost unbeatable with a Motor that by todays standards was just a mild bracket motor. If Billy G. would use his knowledge and resources and apply it to a Mopar he might have been able to make the fastest pass of the weekend.

On another note it seems odd we had time to run a Ford but could'nt find the time to run BOX and NO/BOX on Saturday
Posted By: sam64

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 02:55 AM

yeah but we got to wait for for hours to be told we were done,could have been haven a good meal or brew instead string us along.2 corn dogs and a drink got my winnings,lol.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 03:09 AM

Quote:

If Billy G. would use his knowledge and resources and apply it to a Mopar he might have been able to make the fastest pass of the weekend.

If you knew him or knew anything about him you wouldn't say that. He knows his way around Mopars pretty damn well.....from years ago and by today's standards.

The other part I can't help you with, take it up with JOSH!
Posted By: mark42202

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 03:37 PM

So you could have run box/ no box in the same amount of time it took Glidden to make one pass? LMAO, get real. Oh, and a meal? Did you miss the FREE food Josh supplied to EVERYONE Saturday evening? I swear, some people whine just to whine.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 04:17 PM

As a matter of fact I did not go for the free food as I thought as soon as I walked up to the PARTY area for food they would make the call for no-box to the lanes. Once the box/no-Box race was canceled the food was gone.

And I'm damn sure going to whine when a promoter cancels just a couple classes because the racetrack could become un-safe. The race should have continued in the advertised order until it became un-safe. The order got shuffled around 7PM when they called 2nd round NSS and extreme 10.5 to the lanes, which ran their 1st round after no-box. That tells me the promoter knew at 7PM he was going to cancel no-box and box, and waited until 10PM to inform us. And then raced for 3 more hours with a chosen few.

Mark. What class were you in??? NSS with a pontiac or a ford???? Or not even racing? Or in box and no-box and lost in the 1st round? Sure you would'nt whine because you either weren't racing or got to race.

If they canceled all the classes at 10PM I would have never whined a peep, but if I'm getting screwed, I'm going to squeel like a pig.

On Billy Glidden's pass, it only took a couple minutes and i enjoyed seeing it. Hell, maybe next MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND they could get Cruz Pedregon to make a pass in his Toyota funny car.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 04:37 PM

Quote:

......... The race should have continued in the advertised order until it became un-safe. The order got shuffled around 7PM when they called 2nd round NSS and extreme 10.5 to the lanes, which ran there 1st round after no-box. That tells me the promoter knew at 7PM he was going to cancel no-box and box, and waited until 10PM to inform us. And then race for 3 more hours with a chosen few........

100% agree with this statement.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 05:22 PM

Quote:

Mark. What class were you in??? NSS with a pontiac or a ford???? Or not even racing? Or in box and no-box and lost in the 1st round? Sure you would'nt whine because you either weren't racing or got to race.

Great intellectual statement. Actually, I was a class sponser, and I promise you this weekend cost me more than it cost you. Regardless, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately for you, you don't have to be running a class or a particular brand of car to call out a whiner. Is box/no box the only class you came to run?

So you didn't take advantage of the free food because of YOUR decision, not anyone else. You "thought" they would call your class if you went over there, so YOU decided not to go. That's your fault, not Josh's. Do you know how late the race went on Sunday? When they actually finished? Where is all the outrage and whining about the HOURS and HOURS of lost racing time due to racers not having enough intelligence to pull over and not oil down the entire track? Had those racers done the smart thing and pulled over, there would have most likely been enough time to run everyone. The promoter has NOTHING to do with 6 hours of lost racing time due to cleaning up after irresponsible racers. He did the best he could with what he had to work with, and aside from a few whiners, had an extremely successful show where hundreds and hundreds of racers and fans had a GREAT time.

How exactly did you get screwed, btw? Because you missed out on the free food by your own decision? Because Glidden's one 4 second pass took up the time that no-box could have been racing? I think you would be whining just as much if no-box would have run one more round and you lost. Some people just whine, no matter what.

Oh, and in case you weren't sure, NSS stands for Nostalgic Super Stock, not Nostalgic Mopar Super Stock. It was announced months and months ago that for that particular class, brand x would be allowed. Did the 5 brand x cars in NSS screw your no box class? No, actually it was the Mopars that kept oiling the track down.

edit:

Err... just went back and checked the flyer. Box/ no box was free entry when you entered in another class... so how exactly did you get screwed?
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 06:01 PM

Well of course it's my fault... I'm the promoter

It's ok. We decided early Friday to go around the pits and cause the 15 hours of oil downs caused by the dip shits who blew their cars up and then decided to drive right down the center of the groove.

I had to get classes done... So naturally the classes who paid an entry fee and planned on being done Saturday had to take priority. The nss the quick and the 10.5 cars became the priority.

After the first round there were still over 100 cars in the no box class and 30 in box... So I could get 1 more round of those cars in based on the schedule or I could try to finish the other classes.

The quick cars decided on their own they were not willing to race in the track any longer all though I disagreed with that call I respected it.

So we raced until midnight and down to the final 5 or so nss cars finished nss and completed 1 round of quick.

As for any bitchin about glidden making one test pass .... Stuff that up your as s. the track asked me of he could make one test pass. I agreed. He is local and supports the track and I would do it again. And for the remark about him putting forth an effort to make a Mopar that fast, he knows enough that the parts we have make that happen don't exist so if you consider your self an engine builder I would think yu would know that....

We intended to race until it was all done. Dew point and track temp made us racing until 3 am impossible I didn't want to cancel anything. It doesn't cost me anymore or less to race but at the rate we were going it was an impossible feat

Maybe we should all look at getting diapers and belly pans sober can get the racing in
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 06:24 PM

Quote:

It's ok. We decided early Friday to go around the pits and cause the 15 hours of oil downs caused by the dip shits who blew their cars up and then decided to drive right down the center of the groove.

I had to get classes done... So naturally the classes who paid an entry fee and planned on being done Saturday had to take priority. The nss the quick and the 10.5 cars became the priority.

After the first round there were still over 100 cars in the no box class and 30 in box... So I could get 1 more round of those cars in based on the schedule or I could try to finish the other classes.

The quick cars decided on their own they were not willing to race in the track any longer all though I disagreed with that call I respected it.

So we raced until midnight and down to the final 5 or so nss cars finished nss and completed 1 round of quick.

As for any bitchin about glidden making one test pass .... Stuff that up your as s. the track asked me of he could make one test pass. I agreed. He is local and supports the track and I would do it again. And for the remark about him putting forth an effort to make a Mopar that fast, he knows enough that the parts we have make that happen don't exist so if you consider your self an engine builder I would think yu would know that....

We intended to race until it was all done. Dew point and track temp made us racing until 3 am impossible I didn't want to cancel anything. It doesn't cost me anymore or less to race but at the rate we were going it was an impossible feat

Maybe we should all look at getting diapers and belly pans sober can get the racing in

I agree 100% with containment trays and or diapers to keep the oil downs to a minimun but here is the reason self centered people don't think of.If you have a containment tray or a diaper and you have a small oil leak the oil will be cought instead of spraying a light mist of oil on the track that is not detected for someone else with a 50,000 dollar car to drive threw and stuff it in to the wall distroying there car and maybe there life and the lives of there loved ones.

The misley 200.00 you spend on a diaper might save the life of someone other than your own tight a$$ self.

Thats the problem with the world today no one gives a $hit about the next guy.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 06:47 PM

With all the oil downs there was just not enough time to run the "FREE RACE". I agree the trophy race and the free race should have been put on the back burner to let the real race cars race. Did you not hear the the PA announce that "ANY" first round winner of the free box/nobox race could recieve $$$$$$? Money for just a round win of a free entry race with probably over 150 cars in each. Tell me just one other promoter that will do that today... Thanks Josh

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 06:52 PM

Quote:

As a matter of fact I did not go for the free food as I thought as soon as I walked up to the PARTY area for food they would make the call for no-box to the lanes. Once the box/no-Box race was canceled the food was gone.

And I'm damn sure going to whine when a promoter cancels just a couple classes because the racetrack could become un-safe. The race should have continued in the advertised order until it became un-safe. The order got shuffled around 7PM when they called 2nd round NSS and extreme 10.5 to the lanes, which ran their 1st round after no-box. That tells me the promoter knew at 7PM he was going to cancel no-box and box, and waited until 10PM to inform us. And then raced for 3 more hours with a chosen few.

If they canceled all the classes at 10PM I would have never whined a peep, but if I'm getting screwed, I'm going to squeel like a pig.

On Billy Glidden's pass, it only took a couple minutes and i enjoyed seeing it. Hell, maybe next MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND they could get Cruz Pedregon to make a pass in his Toyota funny car.

Look buddy,No one set out to pi$$ All over your weekend when oil downs and weather are hitting you from every direction you have to make decisions on the fly to try to make the most people happy by trying to complete something.You can't have a "backup" plan in place for weather and oil downs because you don't know when and where they will happen.
Take some time calm down and think about it, give the guy a chance at the next show to show you how good it can be without mother nature sticking here nose in it,and hopefuly racers will get there heads out of there a$$es and put containment systems on there cars.

Hope to see you at Gateway stop in for a beer
Bruce

Btw no one complained at Gateway this year It didn't rain some people complained about indy last year it rained like poring pi$$ out of a boot.
Its funny how weather can change someones outlook on the day.
Posted By: BM70Dart

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 06:55 PM

Box and No-Box was not the priority, And I don't think it was to many of either one that kept oiling the track down we we not on the track long enough
Posted By: cgall

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 07:09 PM

As I said on the "live from" thread, after the delays that occurred on Saturday, the window of opportunity was wide open on Sunday. At most of the 3-day bracket races out there now, there are no time runs on Sunday, and the few that still have them will immediately scrap them if there are any delays or cancellations from the previous two days.

If they could have run one more round of the gamblers Saturday and then announced it would be continued at 9:00 AM Sunday, then scrapped the BS exhibition runs that 50 people watched, the whole program could have been completed.

It came down to a matter of respect towards the bracket racers. Keep your money next year and have a $20 gambler, Norwalk gets 200 cars for theirs and they finish the show.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 07:18 PM

EVERYBODY faster than 9.99 needs to get a diaper or pan and EVERYBODY ELSE needs to understand to pull over and stop to take a look if something is out of place on your run.

thx josh for giving me a place to race, meet new people and see so many nice cars. see you at the next one.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 07:40 PM

I have to agree with Josh on the fact that the cancelled the FREE race. I do however agree with cgall, next year save the free race and run the 20 dollar gambler... it would weed out a few.

The weather and oil downs is part of racing though... granted more oil downs then expected, but still, its the end of the year... I do have a few questions though, is the track not set-up to clean up oil downs quickly? Were they under staffed? I only ask because it didnt take Norwalk nearly as long to clean up an oil down..

And maybe food for thought next year... dont have a time trial sunday morning. I like having that time trial but i understand if there are 430 cars and you are trying to get a program in.

Otherwise... I had a blast and am looking forward to next year!

Casey
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100% with containment trays and or diapers to keep the oil downs to a minimun but here is the reason self centered people don't think of.If you have a containment tray or a diaper and you have a small oil leak the oil will be cought instead of spraying a light mist of oil on the track that is not detected for someone else with a 50,000 dollar car to drive threw and stuff it in to the wall distroying there car and maybe there life and the lives of there loved ones.

The misley 200.00 you spend on a diaper might save the life of someone other than your own tight a$$ self.

That may be an issue for some. However i still would like to know how to put a diaper on a car with a superstock legal stock front suspension in which the drag link passes through the oil pan?? if someone can show a good way to do this ill sign up and get one.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:19 PM

Quote:

As I said on the "live from" thread, after the delays that occurred on Saturday, the window of opportunity was wide open on Sunday. At most of the 3-day bracket races out there now, there are no time runs on Sunday, and the few that still have them will immediately scrap them if there are any delays or cancellations from the previous two days.

If they could have run one more round of the gamblers Saturday and then announced it would be continued at 9:00 AM Sunday, then scrapped the BS exhibition runs that 50 people watched, the whole program could have been completed.

It came down to a matter of respect towards the bracket racers. Keep your money next year and have a $20 gambler, Norwalk gets 200 cars for theirs and they finish the show.

Well since I have the Norwalk race next year as well I may just do that.

The track had plenty of staff, were they slower than Norwalk. Maybe. I've never timed a full track clean up. And after the 10th one I'm sure people get tired.

I'm not going to argue with anyone about this. We made the best decision we could with the cards we were dealt. I won't beable to make everyone happy.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That may be an issue for some. However i still would like to know how to put a diaper on a car with a superstock legal stock front suspension in which the drag link passes through the oil pan?? if someone can show a good way to do this ill sign up and get one.

They call DRE or any other manufacturer an order one.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:20 PM

Quote:

Russler, DRE and probably any other diaper company can build you one with a pass through for the drag link. SFI or not, your choice.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea because a diaper with a draglink hole in the side will do an outstanding job of containing oil in the event of an engine explosion. It would just be a way to pass tech, i don't see it actually doing very much.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:30 PM

Well if it helps any the Mopars at the Strip race suffers from numerous oil downs most years as well. IN fact I do not attend an event that has MORE issues with this type of thing than it does. The weather also has played a big role the last two years as well.It is just a fact of racing here in the early spring. Just like racing here in the fall. Contrary to what many people think it does get to cold and windy to race here for a large part of the year.

I also agree if you stand your car on the bumper and come down hard pull over..Save all the other racers at the facility from enduring anymore pain than necessary and excercise some common courtesy to your fellow racers and PULL OVER. I never understand why people DONT do this. As for the diaper question, well from my experience it tends to be the slower cars that cause the issues. Still a problem in NHRA as well with stock and SS cars oiling down the track, then again the rest of us HAVE to have one. Even S/ST is required to run a diaper or containment device.

One last tidbit. Let me see if I can get this straight. The complaint here is that a FREE race was not able to finish?!? I dont understand why ANYONE would complain about not getting in a FREE race. What did you loose by not being able to complete a race you did not pay to enter? Im confused. I get that you are dissapointed that you were unable to complete it but, what financial stake did you have? COME ON MAN!!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

Well if it helps any the Mopars at the Strip race suffers from numerous oil downs most years as well. IN fact I do not attend an event that has MORE issues with this type of thing than it does. The weather also has played a big role the last two years as well.It is just a fact of racing here in the early spring. Just like racing here in the fall. Contrary to what many people think it does get to cold and windy to race here for a large part of the year.

I also agree if you stand your car on the bumper and come down hard pull over..Save all the other racers at the facility from enduring anymore pain than necessary and excercise some common courtesy to your fellow racers and PULL OVER. I never understand why people DONT do this. As for the diaper question, well from my experience it tends to be the slower cars that cause the issues. Still a problem in NHRA as well with stock and SS cars oiling down the track, then again the rest of us HAVE to have one. Even S/ST is required to run a diaper or containment device.

One last tidbit. Let me see if I can get this straight. The complaint here is that a FREE race was not able to finish?!? I dont understand why ANYONE would complain about not getting in a FREE race. What did you loose by not being able to complete a race you did not pay to enter? Im confused. I get that you are dissapointed that you were unable to complete it but, what financial stake did you have? COME ON MAN!!

I think i read the first round winners even got paid

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea because a diaper with a draglink hole in the side will do an outstanding job of containing oil in the event of an engine explosion. It would just be a way to pass tech, i don't see it actually doing very much.

Sure it would. It captures around the steering link a lot tighter than nothing plus it captures fluid if it comes out the bottom. Something is better than nothing.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 08:58 PM

Quote:

I think i read the first round winners even got paid

They did. And got a free dinner to boot.

In between rounds I talked to a ton of people, walked the pits and the swap area, rode our minibike with my husband and I crammed on the tiny seat much to the entertainment of bystanders, and I even ran the autocross. There was plenty to do.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 09:08 PM

well i was one of the cars to oil the track down in the semi of trophy,but i pulled over as soon as i figured it was the motor that went,and i went up and appologised to all the racers that were in the lanes trying get the race finished.yes it was a frustrating weekend for most to say the least but things happen and we all went home to live and race another day.that was the first motor i have blown up in my 32 years of beaten on mopars.hole in the side of the block big enough to put your fist through on pull out mangled rods and cam pieces.putting on an event of any kind is like being self employed,everyone thinks its easy.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 09:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea pi$$ on all that work and expence who gives a $hit if a guy crashes behind my oil leaking junk what do I care, I still have my car and life!!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea pi$$ on all that work and expence who gives a $hit if a guy crashes behind my oil leaking junk what do I care, I still have my car and life!!

I wasn't looking to enter some sort of moral debate. I was actually just looking for a good solution. Personally I am building in some sort of oil containment device before i race my new car. Probably going to try and go the belly pan route. Just looking for a good way to do it and actually be effective. I don't see how having a diaper with holes in it for the oil lines and drag link being much more then putting a check in the box on the tech sheet, basically being better than nothing. Also if anyone thinks its as easy as caling DRE and popping it on the car i would gladly invite them to come see the car and the constraints I am working with and show me how its done. Probably the reason why just about every legal SS hemi car does not have a diaper.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 10:48 PM

MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND started as MONSTER MOPAR SUNDAY. When it became MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND the entry fee went up and we raced for money both days. The entry fee for Pro and S/Pro was $110 with the old promoter and was for $2000 to win on Sat. and $4000 on Sunday. In fact I was racing at MONSTER MOPAR when this promoter was probably just out of diapers. Now, $125 for $3000 to win on Sunday is not a fair entry. The promoters flyer noted, now Sat. race was now included in entry fee of $125., Made us pay extra $50 last 2 events. At that point we are racing for 2 chances at winning a possible $4500 for our $125 entry. A much more reasonable payout to entry fee ratio. Now your car count goes up, and the gate take goes up. I am tired of hearing this s*it about a free race getting canceled. Sat. race was included in entry fee, NOT FREE!!!!!

Now lets go back and look at how Monster MOPAR started. 2 classes. Super Pro---Pro and some exibition cars Then Street got added, then NSS got added, then now several more. I don't have a problem with all of the classes because Pro and S/Pro is not everyones cup of tea. We all came for the class or classes of or choice and paid our entry fee. The promoter had a run order and shuffled it up and should not have. And if something gets eliminated why jip the class you make the most $$$$ off of.

All of the people that bought a tech card had race cars, even if some not so racy, including box and no-box, and should have all been considered equal, and run order followed until the race track was un-safe. Not cancel some and continue to race others. And yes, we did get paid for Sat. and because it was only 1 round completed pay was minimal, while others got to finish, even one class Sun. Morning. The race should of continued in the order that was posted, then when stopped for weather or time reasons all purses split at that time.

And I know how late we raced on Sunday because only one more pair went down the track after me and then it was off to the winners circle.

And back to the original subject. There are probably not parts avail. to make a MOPAR as competitive as Ford in 10.5. There probably would'nt be in a Ford if not for Glidden as they have helped to get Ford where it is today. When Bob Glidden did run MOPAR, for 1 year, he was very successful, and I believe if Glidden would switch to MOPAR, with there Knowledge, expertise and resources, they could do as well or maybe better.

And on bashing all the guys that oiled down, I am sure if they knew they were spilling there guts they would have stopped. Sometimes you just don't know your car is leaking.
Posted By: 72blubird

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 11:32 PM

I wasn't there but heard some about the weekend. Weren't most of the cars that did the oil downs the "faster cars"? Seems that's your most experienced racers. Also if you are leaking oil like a stuck pig wouldn't it become obvious before you went a quarter mile if it happened at the starting line
Like I said I wasn't there, but maybe this a learning opportunity for everyone...promoter included
Hey what do I know just a fan as of now...carry on
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 11:36 PM

I don't know where you race at,but up here in N.W.INDIANA it cost me 65.00 to race for 1,000.00. The last 10.0 race I won 200.00 and it cost me 75.00 to enter,so for me 125.00 to win 3000.00 seems pretty good. I personally think that Josh and his crew did a great job and we will be at the next event he puts on.
Posted By: PlumCrazyCharger

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/25/12 11:49 PM

Josh did the best he could with what he was given. The oil downs were the worst I've ever seen in my 20 years of racing. We actually had a pool going betting on oil downs.

I feel bad for the guy that got bumped from the Q32 door car because someone couldn't make a good pass on his 2 saturday qualifiers and got a special pass after the funny car. We couldn't figure out why it took so long to get the Q32 ladder and run first round. Well now we know.

So my only comment would be make a set of rules and stick by them. I don't think Josh has a "real set" of rules so over the long winter break he has plenty of time to figure out the direction he want the class to go. He knows he can't please everyone.

Let me bitchc and the others but once the rules are set everyone knows up front what to expect.

I thought the track did a great job cleaning after all the oil downs. I bet next time they buy a dump truck of oil absorbent

Thanks Josh and thank god I'm not a cool promoter like you:).
Posted By: Pleaz

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 01:30 AM

I just wanna say congrats too qwkmopardan for winning superpro sunday, and getting down too 4 cars in pro sunday. You will never meet a more die hard racer, or mopar guy than Dan Smith....congrats bro.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 01:38 AM

Quote:

Probably the reason why just about every legal SS hemi car does not have a diaper.

Hey Matt how's it going man? I notice a lot of the HEMI cars have changed how their collectors are positioned under the car. Are belly pans the reason for that?

Wes
Posted By: The Sphinx

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 01:44 AM

Quote:

Ummm..... A quadriplegic could have rolled from where the food was served to the staging lanes in about 30 seconds. Free food, free race......quitcherbichin
Posted By: Handygun

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 01:46 AM

Quote:

I just wanna say congrats too qwkmopardan for winning superpro sunday, and getting down too 4 cars in pro sunday. You will never meet a more die hard racer, or mopar guy than Dan Smith....congrats bro.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 01:48 AM

All this bitchin' and whinning, and for what? The man took time out of his personal life to give you guys something. Just be glad some MOPAR dude (Josh) gave you a new venue/place to meet old/new friends, bench race and a place to race if you brought a car. There is no such thing as a perfect event/race, especially when bad weather falls upon you, etc. Don't you think your positions or opinions would be better accepted/applied if you just simply PM'd or emailed Josh and gave him your constructive thoughts? Remember, before Josh you didn't have this event.......just let it go and look forward to NEXT YEAR!

Wes

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Probably the reason why just about every legal SS hemi car does not have a diaper.

Hey Matt how's it going man? I notice a lot of the HEMI cars have changed how their collectors are positioned under the car. Are belly pans the reason for that?

Wes

Hey Wes all is well man, good to hear from you. I noticed as well that the collectors are now directed more out the side as opposed to straight back. That is part of the problem i have also with the current big tube under chassis headers and the way it wraps around the factory suspension leave little room for making diapers work. I will check into the headers and see if that is the reason they are doing that. Thanks.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 01:55 AM

Quote:

Why??????????? So he could poke the whole Mopar crowd in the eye and make the fastest pass of the weekend????? He all-most succeeded if that was his goal. 4.01 at 185mph 1/8th mile in an adrl 10.5 tire car. 2nd only to the Lake Erie Monster dragster that went 3.79 at 186 mph.
I remember when his dad ran a Plymouth Arrow in pro stock and was allmost unbeatable with a Motor that by todays standards was just a mild bracket motor. If Billy G. would use his knowledge and resources and apply it to a Mopar he might have been able to make the fastest pass of the weekend.

Don't think you would have a problem with BobR's Ford (With a HEMI in it)
Only 3 runs on this combo at the time.. 4.25 @ 180mph On a 10.5 tire..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3idbdZtFVw0

Chris..
Posted By: dvw

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 02:31 AM

Russler made me one for my thru link pan. Not SFI super dooper but far better than nothing. $165, Fits very well. Two weeks ago a buddy mine broke a rod with a diaper. The track needed NO CLEAN-UP. Diaper contained it all. For myself I've got too much tied up in the car to risk wrecking if I can avoid it. $165 is a drop in the bucket.
Doug
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 04:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ummm..... A quadriplegic could have rolled from where the food was served to the staging lanes in about 30 seconds. Free food, free race......quitcherbichin

Depending on what time you went up to the party for food there was a serious wait.

We waited in line just under an hour from start to finish. We got in line at 7 pm and got the food at just before 8 pm.

Some people got tired of waiting and left the line.

I'm not complaining, hey it was a free dinner with a band playing for entertainment.

I'm just stating that it would be tough for someone waiting for a class call to stand in line that long.
They weren't in the staging lanes they were in the pits waiting for the call.

I was already out of the Gamblers race by then (went to quick and broke out) so waiting around wasn't a problem for me.
After dinner it was time to break out the American Honey.

Dan is a serious racer and he's there to try to win the $$$$.

I know that if he could only try to win money on Sunday he's probably gonna race somewhere else on Saturday where he can try to win the $$$$ and just race Sunday at MMW.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 04:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wes

Hey Wes all is well man, good to hear from you. I noticed as well that the collectors are now directed more out the side as opposed to straight back. That is part of the problem i have also with the current big tube under chassis headers and the way it wraps around the factory suspension leave little room for making diapers work. I will check into the headers and see if that is the reason they are doing that. Thanks.

Good to hear you are doing well. Thanks for checking into that. I just assumed that was the case.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 04:41 AM

FWIW on my 99Hemi the headers are touching the the diaper. DJ safety added some heat resistant material where the headers and diaper make contact. This is a big tube header with a very wide engine but I do have a rack. IMO it is piece of mind but there are some cars that make it near impoosible to accomplish.

I look at a lot of cars when we are divisionals, we have plenty fo time ya know. Anyway I see a lot fo the SS cars using pans instead of diapers. Especially with the FE Fords, 66-7 Chevy II's and a number of Mopars. The only concern I have sen is they can hang up in the lights as some of them are VERY low in front and cast a "Shadow" on either side of the front tire. I had the same issue on my big tire car with a one size fits all diaper. At some tracks it would hang up in the light and give horrible reaction times and and quick ET's. Alsmost got me at a National Open but my opponent redlit.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 04:41 AM

I wasn't looking to enter some sort of moral debate. I was actually just looking for a good solution. Personally I am building in some sort of oil containment device before i race my new car. Probably going to try and go the belly pan route. Just looking for a good way to do it and actually be effective. I don't see how having a diaper with holes in it for the oil lines and drag link being much more then putting a check in the box on the tech sheet, basically being better than nothing. Also if anyone thinks its as easy as caling DRE and popping it on the car i would gladly invite them to come see the car and the constraints I am working with and show me how its done. Probably the reason why just about every legal SS hemi car does not have a diaper.

Matt, I agree 100%. I'm not saying its not a good idea, its just not feasible on certain cars. I've been down this road many times. Next time you guys that want all cars to have diapers on, please walk over in the pits and look under my car and tell me how a diaper would fit in there. When NHRA thought about mandatory diapers a few years ago, they dropped it because of the SS cars. The west coast hemi teams petitioned NHRA about putting on rack & pinions,to eliminate the draglink, and were turned down, After that the diaper talk was dropped. I had a DIV 3 tech guy look under my engine and he came out from under there shaking his head. He said no way.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 06:07 AM

Quote:

MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND started as MONSTER MOPAR SUNDAY. When it became MONSTER MOPAR WEEKEND the entry fee went up and we raced for money both days. The entry fee for Pro and S/Pro was $110 with the old promoter and was for $2000 to win on Sat. and $4000 on Sunday. In fact I was racing at MONSTER MOPAR when this promoter was probably just out of diapers. Now, $125 for $3000 to win on Sunday is not a fair entry. The promoters flyer noted, now Sat. race was now included in entry fee of $125., Made us pay extra $50 last 2 events. At that point we are racing for 2 chances at winning a possible $4500 for our $125 entry. A much more reasonable payout to entry fee ratio. Now your car count goes up, and the gate take goes up. I am tired of hearing this s*it about a free race getting canceled. Sat. race was included in entry fee, NOT FREE!!!!!

Now lets go back and look at how Monster MOPAR started. 2 classes. Super Pro---Pro and some exibition cars Then Street got added, then NSS got added, then now several more. I don't have a problem with all of the classes because Pro and S/Pro is not everyones cup of tea. We all came for the class or classes of or choice and paid our entry fee. The promoter had a run order and shuffled it up and should not have. And if something gets eliminated why jip the class you make the most $$$$ off of.

All of the people that bought a tech card had race cars, even if some not so racy, including box and no-box, and should have all been considered equal, and run order followed until the race track was un-safe. Not cancel some and continue to race others. And yes, we did get paid for Sat. and because it was only 1 round completed pay was minimal, while others got to finish, even one class Sun. Morning. The race should of continued in the order that was posted, then when stopped for weather or time reasons all purses split at that time.

And I know how late we raced on Sunday because only one more pair went down the track after me and then it was off to the winners circle.

And back to the original subject. There are probably not parts avail. to make a MOPAR as competitive as Ford in 10.5. There probably would'nt be in a Ford if not for Glidden as they have helped to get Ford where it is today. When Bob Glidden did run MOPAR, for 1 year, he was very successful, and I believe if Glidden would switch to MOPAR, with there Knowledge, expertise and resources, they could do as well or maybe better.

And on bashing all the guys that oiled down, I am sure if they knew they were spilling there guts they would have stopped. Sometimes you just don't know your car is leaking.

Yes, it WAS free. Just because it USED to cost less to enter a race doesn't mean entry fees will always stay the same. Costs go up, and so do entry fees. The higher entry fee wasn't to cover the additional race, and if you think it was, your math skills need some brushing up. You are whining because a FREE race got cancelled. Period. How is it that a FREE class is what makes the most money? What's REALLY awesome is, you seem to know EXACTLY how to put on a successful race. When is the next event you are holding? Where was the last one you put on? I love it when a racer acts like they know how a race should be run. What's funny is, how THEY think it should be run usually points back to what would benefit the class THEY are running. Oh, and thanks for the history lesson.. but it doesn't really apply. 1. That promoter is no longer running it, and 2. one word: evolution. Times change.
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 07:39 AM

I AGREE the oil downs were MANY and if the drivers would have pulled over it would have taken a lot less time for cleanups. Sam 64 did a Great job when he broke and so did a few others.
We had a GREAT TIME at the event JOSH and we will come support as many of your events as we can afford.
You was visable for all to see and talk with if we had questions,
You paid us cash for our rounds won, and you did the Best you could with all the issues that came up.
JOSH you and YOUR FAMILY are GOOD people.
THANK YOU FOR A GREAT WEEKEND. David and Janet
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 09:49 AM

I added a belly pan a few years ago, and recommend it to all race cars. Everything you can do to prevent any oil get down to the track and is a big help in the case of a mishap. I guess a sheet of aluminum and a few rivets cost maybe 20 bucks, and a piece of "oil carpet" a few more? Should be mandatory in all cars.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 03:19 PM

Josh,it's ALWAYS your fault
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 03:37 PM

Yes, it WAS free. Just because it USED to cost less to enter a race doesn't mean entry fees will always stay the same. Costs go up, and so do entry fees. The higher entry fee wasn't to cover the additional race, and if you think it was, your math skills need some brushing up. You are whining because a FREE race got cancelled. Period. How is it that a FREE class is what makes the most money? What's REALLY awesome is, you seem to know EXACTLY how to put on a successful race. When is the next event you are holding? Where was the last one you put on? I love it when a racer acts like they know how a race should be run. What's funny is, how THEY think it should be run usually points back to what would benefit the class THEY are running. Oh, and thanks for the history lesson.. but it doesn't really apply. 1. That promoter is no longer running it, and 2. one word: evolution. Times change.

Mark... I didnt end up going(no car was ready) but
being that the box and no box was free I could only
fit into a couple of classes (10.0 and box or no box)
so I would have paid to get in by entering 10.0 but
the only class I could enter and go all out would
have been the free classes.... so what other class
could I have enter that wasnt canceled ..... I dont
think anyone is really knocking Josh but I can see
some of them being a little pissed sitting in a line
waiting some lengthy time just to have it canceled
(I know I wouldnt have waited... I would have headed
back to my pit area... but thats me)
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 06:05 PM

Sound's like the weekend was full of mishaps and bad luck, maybe the hail storm on Friday was a bad omen, cannot see blameing Josh for those things, sounds like there were some snap decisions that were made that may not of set well with some,,we live and learn as I am sure running this type of event can be a hair raising experience at times, so that being said, I am planning on hitting most if not all of Josh's event's next year,, if all go's according to my plans.

and as far as the free race,,to me it just like getting a by run, some times you get to run it by yourself some times you have an even number of car's and have to run another car,, if the schedule run amuk then the freebee's go away first.jmo

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 06:10 PM

It was a fun time. I drove 5.5 hours each way and it was well worth it. I had to wait like everyone else but there was plenty to do so it wasn't that big a deal to me. I am very thankful that we have Mopar only venues like this to race at.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 06:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wes

Good to hear you are doing well. Thanks for checking into that. I just assumed that was the case.

The Reason the headers are turned to the side is to facilitie trans remove and replace. No AH cars are running a diaper.
Posted By: BM70Dart

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 07:16 PM

So I would assume the entry fee is going to go up then if there is going to be points races both days next year

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

Mark... I didnt end up going(no car was ready) but
being that the box and no box was free I could only
fit into a couple of classes (10.0 and box or no box)
so I would have paid to get in by entering 10.0 but
the only class I could enter and go all out would
have been the free classes.... so what other class
could I have enter that wasnt canceled ..... I dont
think anyone is really knocking Josh but I can see
some of them being a little pissed sitting in a line
waiting some lengthy time just to have it canceled
(I know I wouldnt have waited... I would have headed
back to my pit area... but thats me)

Raff, your situation is a little different on two fronts. First, many have been racing longer than me, but I have been to enough races to know the free race is always the one that will get bumped if there issues with time (weather, oil downs, etc.), so I personally wouldn't travel to ONLY enter in a free race knowing that. Secondly, the guy doing all the whining won Super Pro on Sunday and made to the semis in Pro, yet is complaining that he got screwed because they nixed the free race. Pure and simple, that is complaining just to complain. He didn't get screwed out of anything. He WON one class and took home money in another! There were almost 200 cars in Pro/ Super Pro, yet 99% of them have had nothing but good to say about the race. Why isn't this thread filled with 200 different people complaining about box/ no box getting cancelled? Easy. They know it was a free race, and everyone who won one round got a little cash for their trouble when it got bumped. If his situation was like yours, where he was only coming to mainly run box/no box, I would understand him being a little upset, but would revert back to "you knew it was a free race and could possibly get bumped if time was an issue before you came, so suck it up and don't gamble next time". But that is not the case here. Not even close.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 10:16 PM

Wow...you get on here and voice your opinion and you are called a whiner....thats why nobody else wants too get on here and tell you they feel the same way Dan does. He feels saturday was run poorly...its his opinon....hes entitled too it. Dont take it so personal(Mark). You told Dan too brush up on his math...i think you should brush up on your people skills. Because your coming off a bit arrogant, and unreasonable. Peace n love..peace n love...cya at the fling.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 10:26 PM

Here is my complaint.

I was standing in the tower all night Saturday and Sunday taking care of business.

I was available to everyone who wanted to voice a concern.

I was their when Dan collected his money.

No one mentioned any of this. Instead they make a post on a forum.

He could have gotten an explanation from the guy who made these decisions in person.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

it might if the hole isnt as big as the one in the pan.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 10:39 PM

Quote:

Here is my complaint.

I was standing in the tower all night Saturday and Sunday taking care of business.

I was available to everyone who wanted to voice a concern.

I was their when Dan collected his money.

No one mentioned any of this. Instead they make a post on a forum.

He could have gotten an explanation from the guy who made these decisions in person.

dont be salty thats my job.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 10:41 PM

Quote:

Matt, I agree 100%. I'm not saying its not a good idea, its just not feasible on certain cars. I've been down this road many times. Next time you guys that want all cars to have diapers on, please walk over in the pits and look under my car and tell me how a diaper would fit in there. When NHRA thought about mandatory diapers a few years ago, they dropped it because of the SS cars. The west coast hemi teams petitioned NHRA about putting on rack & pinions,to eliminate the draglink, and were turned down, After that the diaper talk was dropped. I had a DIV 3 tech guy look under my engine and he came out from under there shaking his head. He said no way.

trouble maker lol.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 10:43 PM

Josh....

I just want to thank you for making the 3.5 hour drive down from Michigan such a worthwhile venture for me, as just a spectator on Saturday.

The food, band, goodwill, and chance to meet old friends was fantastic.
You are never going to make everybody happy, as a business owner myself, it is something experience teaches all of us.
Abnormally cold weather for that time of year, and an abnormal amount of oil downs i am sure made life way more difficult than it would have been otherwise.
I hope to return to racing soon, and i am glad a person like you has stepped up and made the future of Mopar events so bright that i might be able to chase my dream knowing truly good people like yourself and Rick are behind these events.

Thanks again, God bless, and good luck going forward
Posted By: 66Coronet-340

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/26/12 10:47 PM

So when the complaint was brought up on saturday night after the no box/box was cancelled at the tower your response was "it was a freebee" and off you went. That does not seem like a good response or the way to handle the complaint.

Lets call all races freebies so then we can use the excuse of its a freebee whats the issue.

Is the reason for the supposed "free" entry on saturday to no box/box due to the complaints from Gateway in June??? People I talked with did not want to pay more to race on saturday when before it was part of the Monster Mopar Package?

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 12:20 AM

Raff, your situation is a little different on two fronts. First, many have been racing longer than me, but I have been to enough races to know the free race is always the one that will get bumped if there issues with time (weather, oil downs, etc.), so I personally wouldn't travel to ONLY enter in a free race knowing that. Secondly, the guy doing all the whining won Super Pro on Sunday and made to the semis in Pro, yet is complaining that he got screwed because they nixed the free race. Pure and simple, that is complaining just to complain. He didn't get screwed out of anything. He WON one class and took home money in another! There were almost 200 cars in Pro/ Super Pro, yet 99% of them have had nothing but good to say about the race. Why isn't this thread filled with 200 different people complaining about box/ no box getting cancelled? Easy. They know it was a free race, and everyone who won one round got a little cash for their trouble when it got bumped. If his situation was like yours, where he was only coming to mainly run box/no box, I would understand him being a little upset, but would revert back to "you knew it was a free race and could possibly get bumped if time was an issue before you came, so suck it up and don't gamble next time". But that is not the case here. Not even close.

So from what you are saying is that there was 2 separate
races in box and no box... 1 on Saturday and another
completely separate race on Sunday for box and no box...
and the Saturday was a freebie if entered in some
other class.... was there a entry fee for box/no box
on Sunday
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 12:26 AM

Sun was Pro and super pro. not the same as box and no-box. well close

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 12:52 AM

Quote:

Sun was Pro and super pro. not the same as box and no-box. well close

I always thought them to be the same... box was S/P
and no box was pro
Posted By: beeliever

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:15 AM

WOW, I rarely have anything to say on here, But.... I am an aging Mopar guy in a rapidly changing brand X world. I have been to every Monster Mopar since the beginning in 1985 when I was 19 and as excited as a virgins first time just to be around so many cool cars and like minded people. I expected change when Gateway Raceway closed and ss promotions sold to you. I was optimistic for new young Mopar blood.
But for you to tell a super loyal Mopar guy to shove it up his a*s for complaining about Billy Glidden race his NEW Chassised Ford. and not simply following the published order for racing blows my mind! You are not our king (pun intended)we get to criticize, steer the ship if you will. You have a lot of blind loyalty on this site but dont forget the silent majority like myself, the little guys that dont come back. I didnt take vacation, bring my daughter and spend my hard earned money to watch a Ford race. I am a Glidden family fan, they are a class act! its not their weekend, its MINE! It is your responsibility to tell them respectfully, sorry you cant race at MMW.
I get this is a dying hobby but dont piss off your core fans. All I want you to know is none of this is personal Josh. But The st louis fans have seen it run better and it was not that long ago. It had growing pains and it evolved but you have to listen to the base and make it as fair as possible. Not every one will be happy I get that. But it has to be fiercely Mopar or No car and follow the published race class order no matter what.
I will see how the spring fling goes, and then determine my vacation schedule

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:46 AM

Quote:

Wow...you get on here and voice your opinion and you are called a whiner....thats why nobody else wants too get on here and tell you they feel the same way Dan does. He feels saturday was run poorly...its his opinon....hes entitled too it. Dont take it so personal(Mark). You told Dan too brush up on his math...i think you should brush up on your people skills. Because your coming off a bit arrogant, and unreasonable. Peace n love..peace n love...cya at the fling.

BIG difference between voicing an opinion and whining. I highly doubt "others" aren't getting on here and voicing their thoughts simply because they are afraid of being called a whiner, lol.

BTW, I don't need to brush up on my people skills. I tell it like it is and don't pull punches. If what I say hurts their feelings, toughen up or move on. I'm not "politically correct", and I don't buy into the sissy-fied, "let's all hug and be friends" crap. Am I arrogant? Probably, and I'm good with that. Unreasonable? Maybe. Or maybe I just get tired of hearing racers complain about nothing big, simply to have something to complain about... ESPECIALLY when they haven't the first clue as to what goes into putting on an event that big and it's all about "me me me", not the bigger picture. Like I said, I call it like I see it and don't pull punches out of fear of hurting someone's feelings or ego.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:54 AM

Next year i can do without the rain and hail. See if you can get that off the schedule. THX!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:06 AM

Quote:

Next year i can do without the rain and hail. See if you can get that off the schedule. THX!

That was another freebie

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:18 AM

Big P, put me down as 1 of 200 not happy with the way the no box/box race on Saturday was handled. "Free" BS, the Saturdays race was included in the entry. You can call it what you want it was still part of my entry fee and a chance at reclaiming some expenses. Also that "free" winning purse was one of the reasons I chose to drive up friday night after work and get in at 1am. if it would have been like at St. Louis and had to pay to race on saturday I would have stayed home. Just because Dan won on Sunday does not take away the handling of Saturday's night events or the right to voice his opinion.

Mark and Josh I would not want your job no matter what the reward. My suggestion is next time make a decision, stick by it,take the criticism and learn from the mistakes. I understand new management and there are going to be bumps in the road, but the being told one thing then hours later being told something different, when in the pits the bet was at what time were we going to be told no to box/no box and the context of that excuse was not the best verbiage. Man up say we made a mistake, we are still learning, sorry but will try better. That would way more with me besides it was a free race, we still paid out to the winners (if they remembered to go to the tower), that info should have been relayed when the race cancelation was announced. Hope the spring fling goes better and will be a determining factor for attending more events.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:40 AM

(Or maybe i just get tired of hearing RACERS complain)...are you a racer Mark??? Oh, your a sponser....what sponser...im just curious??? Were you racing at Indy??? Have you ever raced at MMW....
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:44 AM

i didn't read all the replies and don't have a dog in the fight so to speak. i was kinda wishing i had brought my car up there and in hindsight should have. now i've been running chryslers all my life so i will say this. i respect pretty much anyone regardless of what they race and hate to see people do damage but it got to the point i turned to my friend and said i was embarrassed to be a mopar guy because of all the crap that was happening on the track. i didn't see as much of the racing as i could have because we were walking around and i spent a little time helping Gup get his engine back together. it was time well spent as he went on to win the 10.5 class

best i can tell the track workers earned every cent they were paid and then some. i don't know how many oil downs there were or how much time was spent cleaning/clearing the track but overall i'm inclined to think it was WAY too much.

Josh, didn't get to talk to you (met your brother) but PROPS to you guys for making this happen. it seems like there was a pretty good car count given the economy and i hope things work out so that you can continue to hold these events and even add to them.

people complaining should try just a little bit to grasp what it takes to pull off an event of this size and the fact that you simply can't control weather or the number of guys kicking out parts then driving down the middle of the track. no matter what you do someone is going to feel slighted. again i don't know how things were supposed to happen vs how they did.

i was just spectating so i didn't really follow events and how things unfolded. as for the handful of other brands personally i think it only adds to the program.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:55 AM

Why don't some of you guys just hang Josh and get it over with? I have never attended one of Joshes races YET but I surely hope to attend one in the near future. Up until this race I never heard one bad word about how his races have been organized so what changed? Was it the all day rain on Friday or maybe the colder than normal air temperatures. How about the many, many hours cleaning the track because of all the mishaps. Shame on you Josh for not changing the weather or better preparing some of the other racers cars so they didn't puke fluid all over the track. I have been racing for 36+ years so I know Josh, his Family, and Friends put a lot of work into making this race take place. In today's economy sponsors are scaling back or pulling out. Please give the guy a break and give him some time to iron out some issues and each race should continue to grow and only get better as time goes on. There were some communication problems on the quick 32 race but I think that was a case of to many hands in the kettle. Hope to meet you soon Josh at one of your races and thanks for giving us MOPAR guys and girls a place to meet, race, and become lifelong Friends. If anyone thinks these races are easy to pull off give it a try sometime.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:59 AM

Quote:

i didn't read all the replies and don't have a dog in the fight so to speak. i was kinda wishing i had brought my car up there and in hindsight should have. now i've been running chryslers all my life so i will say this. i respect pretty much anyone regardless of what they race and hate to see people do damage but it got to the point i turned to my friend and said i was embarrassed to be a mopar guy because of all the crap that was happening on the track. i didn't see as much of the racing as i could have because we were walking around and i spent a little time helping Gup get his engine back together. it was time well spent as he went on to win the 10.5 class

best i can tell the track workers earned every cent they were paid and then some. i don't know how many oil downs there were or how much time was spent cleaning/clearing the track but overall i'm inclined to think it was WAY too much.

Josh, didn't get to talk to you (met your brother) but PROPS to you guys for making this happen. it seems like there was a pretty good car count given the economy and i hope things work out so that you can continue to hold these events and even add to them.

people complaining should try just a little bit to grasp what it takes to pull off an event of this size and the fact that you simply can't control weather or the number of guys kicking out parts then driving down the middle of the track. no matter what you do someone is going to feel slighted. again i don't know how things were supposed to happen vs how they did.

i was just spectating so i didn't really follow events and how things unfolded. as for the handful of other brands personally i think it only adds to the program.

Would you please let me know next time you are posting so I don't have to. I'm a one finger typer and its tired now.
Posted By: scottb

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:02 AM

This just shows how the mopar crowd is its all about me .Im pissed I did not get to race in a free race and they let billy make a 4sec pass that took a total of 5 mins out of the show .What about the guy in the 65 plymouth that oiled the track down 3 times how about jumping on this guy .If you think its so easy why dont you put on your own show and see how many people show up .You want to trash Josh is crazy lets go back and have charlie run thing Ithink I will pass Josh is doing a great job thanks Josh keep up the good work
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:08 AM

I was there ,, wasn't racing , but I knew it was in trouble on friday !!,
just a cluster of events,Breaks,, Oil downs, then the rain/ hail!!
I watched the clean ups, seam to go on for hours !!, It seamed to me that the clean up crew just didn't really seam to move at the best of pace as what I am used to seeing out of Indy???
Then add the cold air , , just bad deal,
seen couple of my friends cars get broke, , sad,
The OP I know very well I respect his opinion far more than that of just someone who just 'whines' around, !
As for the post itself,, Why was a 'ford' allowed to make passes??
I don't care if it was JOHN FORCE his self , the answer should have been NO!! That could have been lined up well before the schedule of events was put out! EXHIBITION ! But,, It was Josh's decision , his race!
Last minute changes are never a good thing to do! unless weather related!
DEVIATION FROM A SCHEDULE ONLY INVITES CRITICISM ,, CONFUSION,,MISUNDERSTANDING!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:08 AM

Quote:

(Or maybe i just get tired of hearing RACERS complain)...are you a racer Mark??? Oh, your a sponser....what sponser...im just curious??? Were you racing at Indy??? Have you ever raced at MMW....

None of your questions have anything to do with this thread, but I will answer anyway. Yes I am a racer. Yes I am a sponsor. No I wasn't racing at Indy. No I haven't raced at MMW yet. But what I race, where I race, who I sponsor, etc., has NOTHING to do with calling it like I see it. As a matter of fact, nothing that you asked above has anything to do at all with what has been posted here. ANY racer who has been around tracks for any period of time has been around racers that complain just to complain. If you haven't, you're probably one of them, lol. For that matter, even if I had never been to track in my life, it wouldn't change the fact that somebody is complaining about a race that was affected by weather and other racers oiling the track down, and blaming the promoter for having to change up the schedule because of those factors, rather than being ticked off at the REAL source of the problem.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:16 AM

Ok, for all you guys who keep on the whole "why was a ford allowed to make a pass" thing. Josh already answered for one thing. For another, brand x cars are allowed in NSS. That was announced months ago. SO guess what? There were fords, chevys, and pontiacs making passes all weekend! Yet you guys want to focus on ONE pass that took less than 5 minutes start to finish like it hindered ANYTHING about the weekend. Y'all crack me up.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:27 AM

No-one has issues with the NSS , guys!!, think that's is a non issue!!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:28 AM

Sooo, no one has an issue with chevys, fords, and pontiacs running all weekend, but have a major issue with ONE ford making ONE pass?

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:29 AM

Mark, my friend...if your going too get involved as being a sponser for MMW you cant be so thin skinned. You need too be more receptive too the racers who are actually racing there. I keep seeing post by racers(the racers!) saying its a task for the promotors too put this show on....what about the racers saving all year too get there??? You need too be able too relate too people when your in the position that you, and Josh are in.Ill be the first too say whats up when you show up too race, and have a beer with you. So would all the other guys who voiced their opinion....its all good.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:42 AM

Quote:

Mark, my friend...if your going too get involved as being a sponser for MMW you cant be so thin skinned. You need too be more receptive too the racers who are actually racing there. I keep seeing post by racers(the racers!) saying its a task for the promotors too put this show on....what about the racers saving all year too get there??? You need too be able too relate too people when your in the position that you, and Josh are in.Ill be the first too say whats up when you show up too race, and have a beer with you. So would all the other guys who voiced their opinion....its all good.

LOL, I probably have thicker skin than most. But I have been around both sides of the game for many years. I'm not brand new. I put up money for the Spring Fling also, and have an agreement with Josh to continue putting money up to help support the race... but this isn't my first go 'round with sponsoring. I would love to hang out and have a drink (you can have beer. I don't drink, but will gladly have a Pepsi with ya!). Like I said several times, I'm not taking anything personally, getting mad, having thin skin, or any of the above. I just call it like I see it, and I have learned over the years that promoters earn a TON more respect for standing their ground and standing behind their decisions than they do when they allow a few unhappy racers out of several hundred to make them change their whole way of doing things. You're not going to make everyone happy all the time... EVER. It is pointless to try. Judging by the success of Indy (in spite of the weather and cleanup delays) I don't see MMW doing anything but continuing to grow. If a few guys don't come because it isn't run exactly the way it was before Josh was running it, I can promise there will be several more that come and run it BECAUSE of the changes. Times change and everything evolves. You either adjust to the changes, or you bracket race at a local track or park your car in the garage. "Me me me" mentality doesn't get anything accomplished.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:55 AM

I can see there is no being rational with you.....ill save that Pepsi for ya...who do you sponser again...im still waiting??

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:00 AM

Quote:

I can see there is no being rational with you.....ill save that Pepsi for ya...who do you sponser again...im still waiting??

Oh sorry. I put up the money for low qualifier in Extreme 10.5. Didn't mean to keep you waiting, just didn't figure it was a big deal. Apparently it must be to you? What races do you put on? Just curious, as you seem to know the proper way to run one successfully. Maybe I can sponsor one of yours as well.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:02 AM

Quote:

Sooo, no one has an issue with chevys, fords, and pontiacs running all weekend, but have a major issue with ONE ford making ONE pass?

i heard a couple gripes from some hardcore mopar guys but i look at it this way the more the merrier. personally i think it only adds to the program to mix in a couple other brands in the NSS style racing. i mean isn't this what racing has been about for all these years?

heck racers regardless of brand need to stick together, most of the public would like to see us disappear entirely

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:04 AM

Im done...keep doing the smash up job your doing.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:05 AM

Quote:

Oh sorry. I put up the money for low qualifier in Extreme 10.5. Didn't mean to keep you waiting, just didn't figure it was a big deal. Apparently it must be to you? What races do you put on? Just curious, as you seem to know the proper way to run one successfully. Maybe I can sponsor one of yours as well

well i know the skinny guy with the big nose liked that money

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i heard a couple gripes from some hardcore mopar guys but i look at it this way the more the merrier. personally i think it only adds to the program to mix in a couple other brands in the NSS style racing. i mean isn't this what racing has been about for all these years?

heck racers regardless of brand need to stick together, most of the public would like to see us disappear entirely

I agree. It gave me one more opportunity to root for a Mopar vs. whoever, lol. My point was that everyone keeps on about Glidden making a pass by saying "Why was a Ford allowed to run", but they weren't saying anything about the brand x's in NSS. I personally was excited to see the old brand x's run. I love all forms of race cars, Mopars just happen to be my favorite! And yeah, Gup was pretty stoked about the low qual money, lol.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:11 AM

Quote:

Im done...keep doing the smash up job your doing.

LMAO, oh come on! You asked me who I sponsored over and over, but I can't ask you about what races you put on? Talk about thin skin! LOL, take your own advice and don't have such thin skin, friend.

edit: oh wait... let me add

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:15 AM

maybe we should lynch the guy in the 55 for sneaking in and wasting that time...............

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:25 AM

Quote:

maybe we should lynch the guy in the 55 for sneaking in and wasting that time...............

OOOHHHH yeah, that no good devil. We surely could have gotten in 5 or 6 rounds of no box in the time he was on the track!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OOOHHHH yeah, that no good devil. We surely could have gotten in 5 or 6 rounds of no box in the time he was on the track!

i was thinking i'll stay home the next race so somebody else can race.

Funny thing was i was asked if i wanted to race that night or wait because some people felt the track was unsafe......................Hmmmmmm

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:33 AM

Quote:

And yeah, Gup was pretty stoked about the low qual money, lol.

yea but if iirc the knuckle head left it in his pants or jacket he threw under the motor home. if i'd have known that i would have grabbed it and made him sweat for awhile before he got it back

i know what happened with the dime i can only imagine what he would've done for that qualifying money

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And yeah, Gup was pretty stoked about the low qual money, lol.

yea but if iirc the knuckle head left it in his pants or jacket he threw under the motor home. if i'd have known that i would have grabbed it and made him sweat for awhile before he got it back

i know what happened with the dime i can only imagine what he would've done for that qualifying money

Hahaha! For sure! We are going to spread it out and set his melted piston on top of it for a photo op, lol. That was actually Gup's idea.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:18 AM

Hey Marc,im just wondering...what class will you be in at the spring fling?? I just talked too some friends who said you will probably be in the trophy class...i said no way...hes not ready for that class. He will probably be in the stands telling anyone who will listen that racers are complainers!! And that he is a big sponser of the 10.5 class...all 7 of em. Mark, you are a godsend too MMW...how would this weekend have happened for the past 27 years with out you hot shot....quit being so humble..... once again..looking forward too seeing all the trues at the spring fling.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:44 AM

Quote:

Hey Marc,im just wondering...what class will you be in at the spring fling?? I just talked too some friends who said you will probably be in the trophy class...i said no way...hes not ready for that class. He will probably be in the stands telling anyone who will listen that racers are complainers!! And that he is a big sponser of the 10.5 class...all 7 of em. Mark, you are a godsend too MMW...how would this weekend have happened for the past 27 years with out you hot shot....quit being so humble..... once again..looking forward too seeing all the trues at the spring fling.

LMAO, WOW! And you have the nerve to call someone else thin skinned? You just went all 7th grade school girl on me, hahhaaa. Typical though. Putting words in my mouth, I mean. Can you point me to a post where I said I was a big shot? Nope. Can you point me to a post where I said I personally had anything to do with MMW success? Nope. As a matter of fact, after you asked over and over who I sponsored, I told you that I hadn't mentioned it because I DIDN'T feel it was a big deal. But I guess after you asking me over and over who I sponsored, it was just too much for you when I asked you what races you put on and offered to sponsor them. I guess that means your answer is you don't put on races. You sit back and tell everyone else how to run theirs, when you're clueless. I'm sorry you got all butt hurt after telling me to have a thicker skin, then I apparently struck some nerve showing you are about as thin skinned as they come. I guess I see why you sided with the complainers now. Please don't you start crying now, too. And to "attempt" to insult me by making up some junior high-esque story about "talking with your friends" about me running trophy class, lol, I guess they don't have an age limit to join this site, huh? BTW, what class do you race? Keep the insults coming, though. I sure hope you can come up with something better than what you already did. PLEASE don't tell me that drivel was your best shot.

Sorry I made you mad for asking what race you put on. I didn't realize that was such a sore subject for a self-proclaimed know it all such as yourself. So, what car will you have at the Spring Fling. I'm sure we can line them up. You certainly can't be afraid of a "trophy class" car, right? Especially when I'm not ready to even run that class yet, lol. Hahaha, let me know when you stop letting your little sister post for you.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:48 AM

No prob...what class are you gonna race big shout?

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:51 AM

I think its fair too let all the whiners know what class you plan on racing at the fling...come on big time sponser...

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:55 AM

Quote:

No prob...what class are you gonna race big shout?

My car is built to run several. No worries though. As your "friends" said, it'll probably be trophy class that I'm not quite ready for yet. What car will you have? Please don't tell me it's the one that 60 ft's 1.39. That would surely scare me.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:56 AM

Quote:

I think its fair too let all the whiners know what class you plan on racing at the fling...come on big time sponser...

Although I appreciate the respect of calling me a big time sponsor and a big "shout", that's not necessary. It seems you are the only one who thinks that.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:01 AM

Guys can we keep it on topic and lay off the personal stuff PLEASE...I dont want to have to So please just try to stay on track. If you all want to banter back and fourth take it offline for the sake of the rest of the folks.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:03 AM

I think that the point was that Dan (original poster) was trying to make was that in some people eyes it was a Gamblers race that was a scheduled part of the event.
You can call it a "free race" but it used to be part of the event paid entry.

If I understand the facts correctly it was changed to an extra cost part of the event at last falls Indy MMW and the MMW Spring Fling at Gateway.

Like I said before, you can call it a free race but if it's on the schedule, serious racers who are used to it being part of the event and are there to try to win the $$$$ are gonna expect to be able to race it.

It's just a simple fact that people don't like when they have something and then it's taken away (or charged extra for).
Try taking benefits from an employee and see what happens.

I know that Dan was pissed Saturday night after he went to the tower to talk/complain about the way the race being canceled was handled.

He said that Josh told him "It was a free race" and turned and walked away from him.
That probably wasn't the best way for Josh to handle it.

As far as the Billy Glidden issue, it wasn't simply a problem of it being a Ford running.
If he was running a Ford in NSS I doubt it would have been brought up at all.
It simply didn't fit at MMW.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:08 AM

Quote:

Guys can we keep it on topic and lay off the personal stuff PLEASE...I dont want to have to So please just try to stay on track. If you all want to banter back and fourth take it offline for the sake of the rest of the folks.

Will do. My apologies for getting it off track.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:32 AM

I deleted it and sent you a PM..I am about as easy going as you will find around here. But there is a limit to my generousity as well..

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:50 AM

ok...i just want too say i disagree with mark...are you gonna delete this one Al???

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:54 AM

I think we all got that from the previous posts. Had you bothered to read my previous post or PM about keeping it on topic and not personal there would be no reason for me to change anything.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:59 AM

no prob al...but i still dont like mark...at all...

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 07:02 AM

So a group hug is out of the question
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 07:48 AM

Quote:

So a group hug is out of the question

Chris..
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 09:46 AM

I am very sorry to see so many unhappy and obsessed with the way the race was run. The oil downs, rain, and cold temps significantly cut into the racing time on Friday - reducing everyone to 1 time run and cancelling the gamblers race.

It was unbelievable that one round of time runs could possibly take from 9:30 am till after 4:30pm, but that is what happened. The rain ended everything shortly there after.

Saturday was quite wet and cold, but the track crew worked their tail off to get it in top condition (starting at 5:30am).

Several car hooked harder than they normally do, and combined with the cool air making more power, the wheel stands were abundant. Some to the point of damaging parts on the fall back down. There were also rear ends and axles broken, and even one driveshaft shot out from under a car.

The Saturday program was to include the entire Victory Performance NSS race, the Q-32, 10.5 tire and 10.00 shootout, in addition to a box - no box race. Face it folks that is a LOT of racing to get in when the Victory class was 70 cars on its own. Everyone got two time run. (370+ cars), over 200 No Box cars got their first round in as well as 60 Box. We completed the 10.5 class and the 10.0 class, and got down to 5 NSS cars and it was nearing midnight. I can't imagine how much more time another round of box-no box would have added to the day. And to be honest, I felt the track was becoming too cold about 9pm.

Every Box/No Box first round winner got paid money. How is this any different from any other race that gets rained out/cancelled in the middle?

I guarantee the decision to cancel the Box/No Box was not made until yet another oil down at 10pm. I know this, as I was in the tower all day every, day of the event, watching how things happened. I am not the Promoter, nor the race director, just the track announcer. So I make no decisions, just tell everyone what I am told to say. And the cancel call was announced seconds after the choice was made.

Sunday was another "oil fest". What should have been a 8 hour program (9-5) went till 10pm.

All told in the three days there were somewhere near 17 hours of down time due to track clean-up, rain, and a small computer issue.

Despite LONG hours in the tower, I had a great time and even got out to see a few friends and racers. I really hope everyone realizes most of the problems with the event were uncontrollable and things had to be modified on the fly to keep the show going.

Thanks to all who attended, help, sponsored, or promoted what i feel is one of the best Mopar events in the country!

Scott
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 11:56 AM

Great explanation,Scott! There is no way in the world that a promotor can predict the weather in advance,take a guess at the number of oildowns that may occur or computer glitches. I am sure that it is a learning curve for Josh and his crew. As far as the Victory N/SS series,sure...It has some brand x cars but that is what brings excitement to it! I would rather watch that class anyday over a jet car. Furthermore...How many people were upset over the death of Monster Mopar? There were quite a few as I recall. Then a guy steps up to take over the series and all is hunky dorey in Mopar land again! I can't fathom the cost of doing an event this big,you need some really good sponsors and hope like hell you at least break even. Bottom line here is to give the event a chance. If you did not like it,don't go! And like Al said...Please no more personal attacks. Thanks and carry on!! Ted
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 12:07 PM

Quote:

I am not the Promoter, nor the race director, just the track announcer.

Scott

So you are the one to blame for butchering my last name and home city even after I wrote it down for you!!!
Posted By: beeliever

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 12:46 PM

GREAT summary rich! I could not put it better

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:16 PM

Did I read correctly that ONE car oiled the track
3.... THREE times..... YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING...
I sure hope he pulled to the side

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:26 PM

I know he did twice...maybe I missed the third time? I saw the car in the pit later with caution tape wrapped around it.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:27 PM

I know he did 1 x , lol After awhile I thought they was cleaning up the same break all day, it was like 2 hours of clean up for just 1 oil down???
drove the entire lenght of the track!!!
I was trying to watch the racing, but it was just awfull to see,
it just didn't ever get good!!
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Not sure of THREE times but I know for sure he did it TWICE and no he DID NOT pull over

Russ

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure of THREE times but I know for sure he did it TWICE and no he DID NOT pull over

Russ

I think the lynch mob should be looking elsewhere
from what I am reading

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:37 PM

He was paid to do it!! LOL!!
Friday was just plain BAD!! like a hot poker in the eye!!
then the rain,hail, then the cold air, and then the wind!! I watched a tent set up blow right into a hemia cuda and a new challenger in the show car area, the challenger suffered the worse, the hemi got just few scratches on its roof,, that's when everyone started taking those tents down!!
those things should not be allowed in a show car area,!! Period!!
Just a bad weather weekend, made everyone temper short!!
Then add guy who has no idea of when to shut off a pass, and stop!!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:39 PM

Quote:

Ok, for all you guys who keep on the whole "why was a ford allowed to make a pass" thing. Josh already answered for one thing. For another, brand x cars are allowed in NSS. That was announced months ago. SO guess what? There were fords, chevys, and pontiacs making passes all weekend! Yet you guys want to focus on ONE pass that took less than 5 minutes start to finish like it hindered ANYTHING about the weekend. Y'all crack me up.

Dont see what the big issue is with other brands in NSS. NSCA/NMCA have been doing that forever. It improves car count. I love chrysler cars as much as anyone, but seeing a few cars from different makes isn't going to hurt anything. Isn't that what super stock racing used to be about? race on sunday sell on monday, Ford vs Mopar vs Chevy etc. If your racing a nostalgia class i don't remember Mopar only superstock racing back in the day.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dont see what the big issue is with other brands in NSS. NSCA/NMCA have been doing that forever. It improves car count. I love chrysler cars as much as anyone, but seeing a few cars from different makes isn't going to hurt anything. Isn't that what super stock racing used to be about? race on sunday sell on monday, Ford vs Mopar vs Chevy etc. If your racing a nostalgia class i don't remember Mopar only superstock racing back in the day.

I agree 100%! That comment was making a point in response to several complaining about Glidden's ONE pass by saying "Why was a Ford even allowed to run?", like the brand was a big deal to them. I personally love watching any car go down the track, and ones that fly down in 4.01 seconds off the trailer in the 1/8 aren't brand specific anymore, anyway... but extremely fun to watch!
Posted By: crazyjjk

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:06 PM

Wasn't there so I don't have a horse in this race. Personally from what I have read I think all parties should just use this year as a learning experience. A lot of off the wall things happened some could be prevented some couldn't. First thing I see is the weather could not be helped. Oil downs all the way down the track could. There has to be some very specific rules posted with severe consequences. I know breaks happen but you don't need to spread it the entire track. As for Glidden I think Josh should learn from this. And the learning is that his "CUSTOMERS" didn't like it. Not saying Glidden is a bad guy or it took a long time but it was something that rubbed his customers wrong so learn from it. He didn't know this before so don't hang him for it. He tried something and it did not work out. I am sure he knows that now. If it keeps happening his customer base will walk away. As for the racers they have a responsibility too. They have to understand Josh cannot control the weather. Also they have the responsibility to police their numbers. If they have guys oiling down the whole track they need to make these racers aware that they need to stop their vehicle before it does this. Personally I think it is just growing pains on both sides. Both sides need to realize this and stop making negative comments and saying me me me and work together now to try to iron out the bugs. Doodoo happens. Both sides need to work together so they both don't fall in it. Sorry for the rant.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 02:31 PM

The race should have continued in the advertised order until it became un-safe. The order got shuffled around 7PM when they called 2nd round NSS and extreme 10.5 to the lanes, which ran there 1st round after no-box. That tells me the promoter knew at 7PM he was going to cancel no-box and box, and waited until 10PM to inform us. And then race for 3 more hours with a chosen few.....

That to me is the biggest complaint on saturday. No explaination on the order shuffle. The largest class which if you add up the money collected from the tech cards, that paid for most of the classes pay out. Not including the spectator money collected from the racers family's in that no box class. Previous races I attended where one class is larger, the larger class will get cycled thru more at first. Also the notice is given due to the car count we are devating from the race order. The "free" race getting pushed aside because it was deemed a free race, basically is crapping on the "little" guy where the largest car count was at. On a rain out/cancellation of a race all classes stop racing not just the 2 classes in this case. I only recieved 1 time run on saturday. The whole day was back logged (yes by weather/oil downs not Josh's fault) and there was no mention of possibly canceling the "free" race, all the announcements were we will get to you. Good intentions, but seems like the rug was pulled out from under us only to be packing up my pits for the night and listening to others continue to race.

On another note what about the Quick 32 field being set, the national anthem played, then a time run for a single car that bumped out the 32nd qualifier?????? I hope there was better comunication on that one then there was on saturday.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100%! That comment was making a point in response to several complaining about Glidden's ONE pass by saying "Why was a Ford even allowed to run?", like the brand was a big deal to them. I personally love watching any car go down the track, and ones that fly down in 4.01 seconds off the trailer in the 1/8 aren't brand specific anymore, anyway... but extremely fun to watch!

I thought he explained the Glidden thing, maybe it was a different post. He didn't invite him there, pay him, or ask him to show up as an exhibition. Glidden is local to there, and needed to do a test hit on his car. Its not a big deal, Glidden didn't dump any oil

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I thought he explained the Glidden thing, maybe it was a different post. He didn't invite him there, pay him, or ask him to show up as an exhibition. Glidden is local to there, and needed to do a test hit on his car. Its not a big deal, Glidden didn't dump any oil

So by your logic it wouldn't be a big deal to most people if any local racer showed up and at MMW and the racing was halted to run a Brand X car for a time run?

Does that mean that my buddy Paul (well known at Gateway) can make time runs at MMW Gateway next spring in hod NHRA Stock Formula Firebird?
Somehow I don't think that would be allowed.

I don't think anyone is blaming Josh for the weather.
That's the risk you take in late September.
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:14 PM

What ProStDodge said is pretty much on the money, let me give you guys a little insight from the tower.....
The posted schedule is ALWAYS subject to change based on weather and other factors. (oil downs)

By the time we played the National Anthem on Saturday we were already 4 hours behind schedule. Then right off the bat in the box class we had another 45 minutes of oil down time.

After that it took 3 hours to run 84 cars down the track, that's about 2 more hours of delays. Shortly after 10 pm we had ANOTHER oil down, and that was the backbreaker. Up until that point I had planned on running box and no box, but with almost 150 cars in those 2 classes, it just wasn't realistic anymore. We split the purse between the 1st round winners just like any rainout. Case Closed on box/no box!

Another factor was the track crew. After the violent storm that rolled through Friday night, they started working around 7am Saturday to get the track ready. All that oil did not clean itself up , and these guys worked until after midnight. If any of the track crew is reading this, thank you for busting your butts for 17 hours!

Scott (the announcer) was practically begging racers to pull over and stop if something was wrong, but one car after the other went right down the groove spewing fluid. We may have to address that situation for future races, as that truly is what messed up our weekend.

Oh and the 55 Chevy, it was totally comical how he got in. But I did call him to the tower, refund his money and he left...... sorry about that.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:23 PM

Friday afternoon , the show was in trouble!!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 04:50 PM

Quote:

If any of the track crew is reading this, thank you for busting your butts for 17 hours!

The track clean up crews did the best they could with the messes that were thrown at them waaaaay to many times in one weekend.

Like the announcer (Scott) was saying, "If your car does something weird that doesn't sound right, please pull over".
Don't run the entire length of the track oiling it down.

Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

So you are the one to blame for butchering my last name and home city even after I wrote it down for you!!!

LOL - so you must have been one of the ones with an unreadable tech card, resulting in the computer guy just typing a few letters in random order! After I got the note, I never saw a name come up on the prompter that was anywhere close to even figure out which car the note went with!

Unless you were car 553 which came up as "not on file" every pass all the way to the final.

If you even saw a few of the names entered from tech cards not filled out legibly, you would cry from laughing too hard. I once had As*wipe show on the screen as a city.

So print clearly on your tech cards and feel free to bring cookies or other food to me in the tower for a tour of the zoo up there and insure yourself more airtime!

Scott
Posted By: MFR440

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:52 PM

Since you brought up Tech cards, how about a place to write SPONSORS? Our sponsors were at the event and never got their name mentioned when I was running. I try to stay out of the tower during a race, as it is typically a busy place. Had I known you were taking requests I would have been up there plugging away!

Thanks to Kahlo Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram and A&A Transmission for helping us get to the track again!

Brian
(I broke a rear-end but DID NOT oil the track! )

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

LOL - so you must have been one of the ones with an unreadable tech card, resulting in the computer guy just typing a few letters in random order! After I got the note, I never saw a name come up on the prompter that was anywhere close to even figure out which car the note went with!

Unless you were car 553 which came up as "not on file" every pass all the way to the final.

If you even saw a few of the names entered from tech cards not filled out legibly, you would cry from laughing too hard. I once had As*wipe show on the screen as a city.

So print clearly on your tech cards and feel free to bring cookies or other food to me in the tower for a tour of the zoo up there and insure yourself more airtime!

Scott

Since were on the subject, My car is procharged!

Thanks for doing a good job all weeked!
Posted By: PlumCrazyCharger

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 05:59 PM

Heck after this race Josh will have more grey hair. Oh yea he's bald

Lets see we had sunshine, rain, hail, flooding, and oil. Only thing left is snow? Maybe 2013!

See a guys next year.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:03 PM

Hurricane, tsunami, or locusts are also possible.

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:34 PM

3000 views,130 posts and 4 pages, way to go BILLY GLIDEN

Cant wait till next year,hell I cand wait till the monster mopar /indy trade show, really cant wait till the turtle fry at my house tonight.Fried turtle cold , dragrace vids on the telly = good times

Hey Billy if you are reading this stop in to my trailer for a beer next year you stired up so much $hit here you must be the life of the party.

I know the box/no box race was cut short and that sucks but don't take it personaly I'm sure they did the best they could with the cards they were dealt.
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Scott

I know man, my penmanship sucks and I was in a rush as well which made it even worse. I figured I would bust your chops a little though! Next time I'm going to bring my typewrite to fill out my cards.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/27/12 11:35 PM

Well Scott now I Can tell my wife and daughter. Why the guy in the tower know who Jenni is ! lol ..That's all I heard all weekend is..How does he know who Jenni is ! Thanks for all the kind words ..I never put two and two together till this post !

PS I heard you tell many times! telling how to pull over !
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/29/12 08:25 PM

Quote:

I feel bad for the guy that got bumped from the Q32 door car because someone couldn't make a good pass on his 2 saturday qualifiers and got a special pass after the funny car. We couldn't figure out why it took so long to get the Q32 ladder and run first round. Well now we know.

This is the question I want answered, as it will help me make up my mind if I will ever attend a race held by Josh. The car that got bumped from the all run quick race was my Dad. After the way he got bumped from an all run field. WTF he was treated like sh** when he asked about this and the fact that a car got another shot for qualifing. A few did not want this to go to a 6 round event so they trimmed it to 32. I could hardly believe my ears when I heard the story. If it takes a public call out to get the answers I want to hear them.......either publicly or through private message, please tell me you are not that waivering Josh. I like you from our dealings, but will not support this behavior unless VERY well justified. The only promoter I have dealt with this year who has done exactly what was advertised was Jeff Johnson, love him or hate him he was very accurate in what he advertised and what he delivered IMO. I don't want these series to come down to participating witht he best of the worst. I am glad most seemed to have a good time, but all should know the facts.
Posted By: 70B5Vert

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/30/12 04:46 AM

Would it be possible for the track to have yellow lights along the wall, say every 50 or 100 ft to turn on if someone starts oiling the track??? may not work every time or instantly but sure couldnt hurt.

Any thought of coverting all classes to 1/8 th mile to get things in.
your time slips already have all the info you need to dial 1/8 th mile.

overall had a great time!!! ( even though i red lighted both days .010 and .041 after a .004 and .017 in time trials )
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/30/12 01:47 PM

Back on track, I'm sure Billy appreciated the test hit on the car as yesterday at the ADRL race he set low ET of the weekend with a 3.88 in the 8th, and ended up winning the class.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/30/12 02:11 PM

Quote:

Any thought of coverting all classes to 1/8 th mile to get things in

This has been brought up and it seems the majority don't want it. I think it would hurt car counts too much.

Dennis
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/30/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any thought of coverting all classes to 1/8 th mile to get things in

This has been brought up and it seems the majority don't want it. I think it would hurt car counts too much.

Dennis

Russ

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/30/12 02:56 PM

If it goes to 1/8 mile, I will park my car!!
sell it off in parts!!

Re: Billy Glidden at the MMW fall ball - 09/30/12 05:26 PM

The problem isn't it being a 1/4 mile race, the problem is when people oil the track for the entire 1/4 mile.

When you run cars hard things are gonna break, but if you even think you broke something please pull over and stop.

If you do a massive wheel stand and come down hard and think you bottomed it out, please pull over.
© 2024 Moparts Forums