Moparts

Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question.

Posted By: TrWaters

Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 03:30 PM

I understand that you should use the same type of fastener for the plate as you are using for the heads. Bolts or studs. It is also my understanding that you should use the same length, using spacers if needed. Here is the problem. Early hemis head bolts and/or studs also hold the rocker stands. This means bolts or studs in 7.5-8.5 inch length. Should I make up spacers for that length of bolt/stud, or is it just not needed and/or practical in this case? Thanks.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 03:32 PM

Can you put the shaft cradle on top of the plate?
I would think the rockers would be in the way, but you can remove them

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 03:39 PM

No,with the way the rocker stands are made, there is only approximately 3.75 diameter clearance between them. Engine is a 4 inch bore. Also, the heads are 2+ inches thicker than the plate.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 03:45 PM

Spacers, although I don't know how much difference it will make.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 03:55 PM

on the small blocks I have done there are spacers, and i believe to have the required effect on the studs / bolts you need to stretch them accordingly. So if you need to cut some tube up the thickness of the rockers, then thats what ya have to do.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 05:16 PM

Put a head on it with the rocker assembly torque down , use a dial bore gauge through the bottom of the cylinders to check the roundness. then do the same thing with the torque plate using spacers I use to hone 340 from the bottom with both heads torque down on them , I always torque the mains and oil filter adapter along with the motor mounts also, some guys install and torque the SB water pump timing covers also
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 06:26 PM

Quote:

I use to hone 340 from the bottom with both heads torque down on them ,

that's something i'd like to see. how did you get the cylinders straight and round if the hone can't come partially through the top of the cylinder? (or maybe you were just using a ball hone to rough them up?)

Tom, you only need to have the same amount of thread engagement in the block as what it will have with the heads and rockers bolted on. there's no need to have the same overall lengh fastener in your application.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 07:28 PM

My old Ford Machinist torqued the Scattershield in place along with the Torque plates, said the back bores o the windsor distort from the back of the block as well.

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 10:00 PM

Thanks Dan. I was reading over on Speed Talk, and that seemed to be the detail that kept came up.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/24/12 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I use to hone 340 from the bottom with both heads torque down on them ,

Ill bet those heads took a beating too,

Posted By: Twostick

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/25/12 12:57 AM

And if you want the final degree of anal you seal everything up and pump 195 deg (or whatever your projected operating temp is) water thru the block while honing it.

Kevin
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Engine Builders. Torque Plate Question. - 09/25/12 01:08 AM

Quote:

Put a head on it with the rocker assembly torque down , use a dial bore gauge through the bottom of the cylinders to check the roundness. then do the same thing with the torque plate using spacers

this is what i have heard. heard of guys using two plates (one on each of course) torqued too, when they are very anal about bore.
© 2024 Moparts Forums