Moparts

Ever have problems with your "kill switch"?

Posted By: Mr. T

Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 12:13 AM

Mine is located in the back bumper. We have been having a electrical gremlin problem the last few weeks. Everything seems to be fine, until you get into the water box and start doing the burnout. Suddenly the engine has a severe misfire. It usually only happens every third or fourth pass. Once you shut the engine off, everything goes back to normal.
I was wondering if anybody else has ever had this experience? And how do you know when the "kill switch" needs to be replaced?
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 12:32 AM

We had the cheaper Moroso in the car for years and had picked up a misfire or starting problem, not sure which. Replaced stuff and couldn't really get it fixed. For some reason, I decided to look at the switch. Checked it with an ohm meter and it was showing more than a couple tenths of resistance. Took it apart and the contacts were burnt. Replaced it with the more expensive Moroso piece (silver contacts). Never used the cheapy in my or anyone elses car again. Don't remember if it fixed the problem, but I know that switch was bad
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 12:36 AM

I had A loose plate inside a battery, that would cause a miss and/or momentarily shut the car off. I chased my tail for weeks to find it.

Joe
Posted By: Dap

Re: Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 12:40 AM

What it the amp rating on your switch? If you have the standard 20a moroso switch it will cause problems.
Posted By: Mr. T

Re: Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 12:50 AM

I don't know the amp rating or the brand(sorry). The switch has probably been on the car around 10 years.
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 12:57 AM

This is the one I have but I need to replace it since it got bent. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-74101/
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 01:31 AM

Yes Tim, they do go bad. Replace it if you have any doubts about it. Also check the ground circuit carefully.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: Dap

Re: Ever have problems with your "kill switch"? - 09/24/12 01:37 AM

The switch I had in my car was made by cole hersee and was the 20amp switch. I had some intermittent electrical problems and replaced the switch with the 300 amp switch from jegs. The car immediately dropped 2/10ths and gained 4 mph.
© 2024 Moparts Forums