Moparts

Gen 3 Hemi on dirt..

Posted By: CHAPPER

Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:03 PM

...and alcohol. Fired up my 1 year+ project Gen 3 Hemi Thursday. A few pics for you.

Attached picture 7380007-Hemi.JPG

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:04 PM

Attached picture 7380008-Hemi1.JPG

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:05 PM

Attached picture 7380010-Hemi2.JPG

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:06 PM

Attached picture 7380012-Hemi4.JPG

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:07 PM

Attached picture 7380014-Hemi3.JPG
Posted By: JackGTX440

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:13 PM

Fantastic
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:54 PM

Very Cool! Good Luck with it!
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 02:59 PM

Show us the rest of your car.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 03:00 PM

Nice!! First one I have heard of in a roundy rounder!!

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 03:37 PM

Quote:

Nice!! First one I have heard of in a roundy rounder!!

Same response I got from EVERYBODY I talked to regarding parts over the past year or so!!
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 03:39 PM

Can we see the whole car? Cool project.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 03:39 PM

Quote:

Show us the rest of your car.

Not my car, a customer's car. I will have to get some later. This is all they sent me.
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

Cool

I bet this thing will stir up some dust with the exhaust like that

All the asphalt cars have the exhaust pointed back and the dirt ones straight down go figure
Posted By: Todd

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 04:12 PM

Really cool!
How bout some info on the build.
Is that a modified? Where they gonna race at?
Kinda late this year only a few races left at most tracks around here.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 05:17 PM

Quote:

...and alcohol. Fired up my 1 year+ project Gen 3 Hemi Thursday. A few pics for you.

Is that class allready running LS motors with electronics/coil packs run in them?

Is it basic claimer rules and just has to have a carb?
Posted By: Von

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 05:53 PM

That is sweet!!

What brand of chassis?

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that class allready running LS motors with electronics/coil packs run in them?

There is/was one other Hemi in the area. It was a stocker and it blew a few weeks ago. No claimer rules here. This engine has upgrades throughout.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 06:04 PM

Quote:

That is sweet!!

What brand of chassis?

The chassis is by a local manufacture..Sigler Fabrication.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 06:10 PM

Quote:

Really cool!
How bout some info on the build.
Is that a modified? Where they gonna race at?
Kinda late this year only a few races left at most tracks around here.

It is a modified. They have raced for about 15 years locally. This is a complete new car. They are still running their old car and motor combination. I had hoped to have the engine done to start this season, but those plans went away due to parts availability and such.
Their current engine is an R3 410" W-2 set-up. Hoping to see more power and lighter front weight percentages.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 07:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is/was one other Hemi in the area. It was a stocker and it blew a few weeks ago. No claimer rules here. This engine has upgrades throughout.

Do any of the Chevy guys run new LS motors.

Is there a cast iron block rule?

Interested in reading the engine rules. Are the rules online published from the track?

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 07:56 PM

The sanctioning body is AMRA. As of now, no GM LS engines being ran. It is just a matter of time though, I believe. Steel blocks are mandatory.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/15/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

The sanctioning body is AMRA. As of now, no GM LS engines being ran. It is just a matter of time though, I believe. Steel blocks are mandatory.

GM parts was experimenting with an LS motor at our track a couple years ago. For a possible higher HP level ZZ4 type crate motor deal.
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/16/12 05:48 AM

what tranny a falcon, bert,or a glide? that had to be some work and money to set that motor set up for that kinda racing, what rpm you guna turn it
Posted By: gtsdude

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/16/12 07:19 AM

There is few guys that run the 525 crate LS motor in mods around here. In fact one guy won a few USMTS races and people started crying about the lighter weight. They made him add weight at the mid plate and he still won. He finally put a mod spec motor in and won with that too. After that people quit crying.

Attached picture 7381062-5N25H55J83Gf3F13ofc7ie2a7b0d1f84d173a.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/16/12 08:07 AM

Quote:

There is few guys that run the 525 crate LS motor in mods around here. In fact one guy won a few USMTS races and people started crying about the lighter weight. They made him add weight at the mid plate and he still won. He finally put a mod spec motor in and won with that too. After that people quit crying.

When we switched to ZZ4 crates years ago same thing happened with us. We were the first to run them. They added weight, we won. Some other racers switched over. But we still won. Then other racers whined that our motor was "special".

So one night after we won, a guy says "I want THAT motor" So we said ok, buy us a new one and you can have THAT one right NOW. So we yanked the motor right after tech and handed it too him.

Soon all the cars coverted to crate motors and were paying $10K less for motors, turned less RPM, and lasted much longer.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/16/12 01:43 PM

Quote:

what tranny a falcon, bert,or a glide? that had to be some work and money to set that motor set up for that kinda racing, what rpm you guna turn it

It has a Bert transmission/bellhousing/starter set-up. Also, a belt driven pump on the rear of the engine for the engine oil, fuel system, and power steering. The engine oil system is not a dry sump. The oil is still stored in a custom built pan with an external pick-up line. The flywheel was the hardest part of the arrangement. I worked with Bert to get the bolt pattern correct. The bellhousing is the same on the Hemi as an LA motor. After Bert did their best to get the crank bolt pattern as close as they could, I still had to modify it to get it to align properly. I ended up sending them a stock flex-plate. Hopefully, the next builder won't have any problems getting their flywheel right the first time they order.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/16/12 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It has a Bert transmission/bellhousing/starter set-up. Also, a belt driven pump on the rear of the engine for the engine oil, fuel system, and power steering. The engine oil system is not a dry sump. The oil is still stored in a custom built pan with an external pick-up line. The flywheel was the hardest part of the arrangement. I worked with Bert to get the bolt pattern correct. The bellhousing is the same on the Hemi as an LA motor. After Bert did their best to get the crank bolt pattern as close as they could, I still had to modify it to get it to align properly. I ended up sending them a stock flex-plate. Hopefully, the next builder won't have any problems getting their flywheel right the first time they order.

I had good results using JW a few years back seems like it was a stock item for them but it was a 340. That dodge will stir things up but we know its driver and chassi set up that will win no matter what brand of power.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/16/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I had good results using JW a few years back seems like it was a stock item for them but it was a 340. That dodge will stir things up but we know its driver and chassi set up that will win no matter what brand of power.

I have used the JW 'wheel' in the past. It works fine with a stock type starter/bellhousing.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/17/12 01:17 AM

Really cool, what track does that dude race at?

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/17/12 02:04 AM

The local/closest tracks are Skyline Speedway, Hilltop(the legendary), Ohio Valley, Jackson County, Interstate, West Virginia Motor Speedway, Tyler County
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/17/12 05:22 PM

Looks like a screamer
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/17/12 05:37 PM

How often do the engines themselves get hurt in crashes? Don't know if that is a factor when chosing an engine - replacement engine parts from crash damage.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/21/12 12:49 PM

Attached picture 7388595-Hemi.JPG

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/21/12 12:51 PM

Supposed to test the car at 9 AM Saturday,,weather permitting,,I will take MY camera. Then, maybe, I can post some good pics of this thing!!

Attached picture 7388596-hEMI1.JPG

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/22/12 04:18 PM

At the test..

Attached picture 7390043-Boley001.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/22/12 04:19 PM

more

Attached picture 7390044-Boley002.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/22/12 04:20 PM

Attached picture 7390046-Boley005.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/22/12 04:21 PM

Attached picture 7390048-Boley004.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/22/12 04:22 PM

Attached picture 7390051-Boley006.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/22/12 04:22 PM

Attached picture 7390053-Boley003.jpg
Posted By: Lightning

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 09/22/12 05:12 PM

there's just something about Modifieds.....

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/04/12 02:27 AM

Had another test tonight,,,still having fuel pressure issues. IF, we can get the fuel pressure straightened out,, this thing is going to be a BAD MO-FO!!

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/04/12 02:54 AM

thats a good looking car what chassi? is it a 4 bar? you should post some pics of the rear suspension and describe how it works lol ppl wouldnt know what you were talkn about, theres alot of engineering in these type of dirt cars, i wish i could still do it but my eyes dont work so good anymore
Posted By: Luke

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/04/12 03:04 AM

Ran 410 small blocks for years in our two imca modifieds, hemi engine were outlawed, been 4 or 5 years, interesting to see this make the transition over into dirt modifieds
Good luck, God I miss the dirt
Luke

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/09/12 12:52 AM

I regret in posting this,,but I know some of you are interested in this project. After getting the bugs out of the fuel system, the testing progressed well and it was time for some 'real' laps. The third afternoon of tests ended in disaster. #3 rod decided to go elsewhere...I am not sure just what happened yet. I will do an autopsy when I get the motor in the shop. It appears, by looking in the hole, that a rod bolt broke and let the cap come up on one side and,,,it went down hill from there. The motor had about 3 hours running time on it and was making some serious power. 40-50 hot laps and we were all excited with the performance.
Posted By: JackGTX440

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/09/12 12:58 AM

Awe that sucks!
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/09/12 04:00 AM

is the failure due to low fuel pressure issue? Birdtracker
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/09/12 05:10 AM

Bummer.... thanks for the updates though. Pretty...NO, VERY cool project!!

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 02:38 PM

Attached picture 7423063-hemidamage005.jpg
Posted By: MattW

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 03:31 PM

Man that sucks.
So any idea what happened?
Rod bolt failure? improper torquing? Rod failure.
Or oiing issues? Whatever it is I hope you figure it out. Matt
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 05:31 PM

The small end of a 5.7 rod is notoriously weak.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 05:45 PM

Damn that sucks. there are to many stories of these hemi engines tossing rods and I have one and it worries me

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 06:35 PM

Quote:

The small end of a 5.7 rod is notoriously weak.

Chevy rod..
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 06:51 PM

way cool build,stuff that blows up suc ks bad but im sure you will figure it out

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 07:30 PM

Quote:

Man that sucks.
So any idea what happened?
Rod bolt failure? improper torquing? Rod failure.
Or oiing issues? Whatever it is I hope you figure it out. Matt

At this time, I am leaning toward a broken rod bolt. One bolt is a clean break, while the other one appears to have bent/broke. Also, enter into this mess, a blackened crank, that points to oil starvation. I am speculating that one bolt broke, allowed cap to start coming off and going out of round, which caused the excessive heat/blackening, the cap came clear off, piston stayed at top of cylinder and crank pin broke beam off..what ever happened, happened fast(7000+rpm) and the damage was severe. The other rods and bearings look good.
I say 'good', in as good as could be expected with all the trash floating around in the oil and crankcase.

Attached picture 7423401-hemidamage010.jpg
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 08:39 PM

what brand rod was it?
ARP 2000 bolts?
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/16/12 10:00 PM

Quote:

what brand rod was it?
ARP 2000 bolts?

From what I recall talking with CHAPPER...I know that Scat SB Chevy rods were used. I don't recall what rod bolt's were used.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

what brand rod was it?
ARP 2000 bolts?

From what I recall talking with CHAPPER...I know that Scat SB Chevy rods were used. I don't recall what rod bolt's were used.

ARP #8740 bolts were used as that is the bolt supplied with them. Probably should have upgraded, but have used them without any problems in the past. I am still at a loss, as are others apparently, just where the oiling problem is. I would have to guess right now, that it is in the crankshaft. I KNOW all oil passages in block and crank were clean and clear upon assembly. All clearances were acceptable to my standards with previous motors. The 'previous motors' do NOT include a Gen 3 Hemi though. I can't imagine the clearances being hugely different on a Hemi versus a big or small block Chevy, small block Mopar, big block Mopar, etc. The blackened crank is what really makes me wonder just what is taking place in these motors at 7000+rpm.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 12:09 AM

Well Jerry? do you know what is going on here? isn't it 3,4,5 or 6 that is always exiting the block?

detonation on the short intake runner cylinders? oiling? Barton has it figured out

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 01:00 AM

Quote:

Well Jerry? do you know what is going on here? isn't it 3,4,5 or 6 that is always exiting the block?

detonation on the short intake runner cylinders? oiling? Barton has it figured out

Yes, Jerry, please tell us..

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 01:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

it sure seems to me that the only time I hear of a rod leaving a new hemi is when it has a drag pack intake. there maybe other cases but I dont know of any and there are new challengers and chargers running low nines with boost at 4000lbs not having this problem

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 01:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

it sure seems to me that the only time I hear of a rod leaving a new hemi is when it has a drag pack intake. there maybe other cases but I dont know of any and there are new challengers and chargers running low nines with boost at 4000lbs not having this problem

Attached picture 7423807-Boley006.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 01:31 AM

doesn't make much sense does it and maybe it's just rpm oiling related but I have yet to hear why

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 01:35 AM

Maybe we should put an ad in 'National Inquirer'...you know,,"inquiring minds want to know.."
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 01:47 AM

This is why I'm scared to build a Gen 3 Hemi...
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 05:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what brand rod was it?
ARP 2000 bolts?

ARP #8740 bolts were used as that is the bolt supplied with them. Probably should have upgraded, but have used them without any problems in the past. I am still at a loss, as are others apparently, just where the oiling problem is. I would have to guess right now, that it is in the crankshaft. I KNOW all oil passages in block and crank were clean and clear upon assembly. All clearances were acceptable to my standards with previous motors. The 'previous motors' do NOT include a Gen 3 Hemi though. I can't imagine the clearances being hugely different on a Hemi versus a big or small block Chevy, small block Mopar, big block Mopar, etc. The blackened crank is what really makes me wonder just what is taking place in these motors at 7000+rpm.

its just a mopar rejecting GM parts

now back to reality i doubt that the rodbolts are the problem unless you just had some bad luck. i seem to remember a thread or post over on the other site fastmopar.something about an isue with the cranks when turning higher rpms.you might want to check it out over there,sorry to say i cant remember wish thread or even wish section it was in..
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/17/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what brand rod was it?
ARP 2000 bolts?

its just a mopar rejecting GM parts

now back to reality i doubt that the rodbolts are the problem unless you just had some bad luck. i seem to remember a thread or post over on the other site fastmopar.something about an isue with the cranks when turning higher rpms.you might want to check it out over there,sorry to say i cant remember wish thread or even wish section it was in..

Correct there is a oil problem running a stock crank at high rpms' i forgot which journal or journals, but it was one of the middle rod bearings would lose oil at high rpms.

The fix is an aftermarket crank that drill the middle rod journals differently to help the oil flow.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/20/12 04:00 PM

Attached picture 7428567-hemidamage019.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/20/12 04:01 PM

Attached picture 7428569-hemidamage017.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/20/12 04:03 PM

Attached picture 7428574-hemidamage014.jpg

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/20/12 04:15 PM

Nice, 90 years Dodge has made crankshafts and they get it wrong now

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 05:50 AM

Quote:

Maybe we should put an ad in 'National Inquirer'...you know,,"inquiring minds want to know.."

After a long day at the track today, our transmission broke after the 3rd time trial so Denny and I had plenty of time to discuss "Fred Chapman, CSI".

Fred, I know you stated that the engine was running at 19*s @ WOT, but how did you determine this?
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 08:20 AM

Quote:

Chapper..sorry for your "loss"...but I have to say you have a "knack" with smilies!

Hope you get to the bottom of it...the customer and you deserve better.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 02:15 PM

Quote:

This is why I'm scared to build a Gen 3 Hemi...

Posted By: dvw

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 02:32 PM

First off sorry to see it. Not being a new Hemi expert, But. I question the broken bolt being the cause. How did the journal that hot after the bolt broke? I say lack of oil. At high RPM centrifugal force is trying to restrict oil going into the main journal. If the main doesn't get enough the rod is starved even worse. Just my 2 cents.
Doug

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After a long day at the track today, our transmission broke after the 3rd time trial so Denny and I had plenty of time to discuss "Fred Chapman, CSI".

Fred, I know you stated that the engine was running at 19*s @ WOT, but how did you determine this?

The ignition is the MSD Hemi6 setup. The timing was 'locked' at 19* with a laptop. I am putting my confidence in the ability of the young man that did this, as he was the one that installed the system and did the research/study of the system. I only know as much about the system as he explained to me, but I know he did not intentionally install any type of 'timing curve' into it. Are you still thinking 'detonation'..?

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

First off sorry to see it. Not being a new Hemi expert, But. I question the broken bolt being the cause. How did the journal that hot after the bolt broke? I say lack of oil. At high RPM centrifugal force is trying to restrict oil going into the main journal. If the main doesn't get enough the rod is starved even worse. Just my 2 cents.
Doug

The mains look good. I am open to any/all theories. The mains seem to be fine as far as oiling goes, but, I'm thinking the oil is not getting out of the main and on into the rod oiling passage. The #3 rod was the only one that seems to have starved for oil. #4 rod had some damage, but I believe it was caused by #3's problems. It would appear that the #2 main maybe oiling the #2 rod more than it's oiling #3 rod. I am having a hard time understanding why the crossdrilled crank is not moving more oil. Just for some more info, the #2 and #4 mains are the only mains crossdrilled on this crank.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 04:33 PM

is this a wet or dry sump system? did the motor let go at the end of the straight or out of the corner or inbetween?

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 04:51 PM

Quote:

is this a wet or dry sump system? did the motor let go at the end of the straight or out of the corner or inbetween?

It is a wet sump with a Barnes crank/belt drive pump. 3 sections to the pump system..engine oil, power steering, and fuel. It let go midway on front stretch, right at flagman's stand. Was kind of an uneventful thing though, we were the only car there testing and nobody in the stands. I just heard a 'clank' and then all was quiet..
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 07:22 PM

Would full groove mains help get more oil to the rods?

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/21/12 08:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The ignition is the MSD Hemi6 setup. The timing was 'locked' at 19* with a laptop. I am putting my confidence in the ability of the young man that did this, as he was the one that installed the system and did the research/study of the system. I only know as much about the system as he explained to me, but I know he did not intentionally install any type of 'timing curve' into it. Are you still thinking 'detonation'..?

The only way to know for sure is to hook up a timing light. Here's how you do it. Its crude, but it works.

Pull the #1 coil pack out. Insert spark plug wires into the boots and the other end to the plugs.

Bring the #1 up to TDC on the compression stroke.

Use a piece of wire and bolt it to the front cover and use whatever bends it takes to get it over the damper.

Use a piece of masking tape on the damper and mark TDC under the wire. I like using a dwell dial timing light for this application. Fire it up and turn the dial on the timing light while at idle and rpm. You'll then personally know whether the timing was locked or not.

Was there an A/F gauge in the car?
Posted By: LA360

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 10/22/12 03:45 AM

Quote:

Just for some more info, the #2 and #4 mains are the only mains cross drilled on this crank.

From what little info that is out there about the oiling systems in these engines, The good aftermarket cranks are not cross drilled at all. I have to wonder if the cross drilling is the reason for many of the oiling related failures

The oiling system issues doesn't put me off building one of these engine, my fiance and the two unfinished engines I have do

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/18/13 01:44 AM

Not quite a year yet,,but, I have this POS SOB almost back together and ready for another test. COMPLETE new short block other than cam/lifters. Molnar crank/rods and Ross pistons. I am getting too old for this stress, head aches, heart aches, etc.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/18/13 01:45 AM

Let her EAT Fred

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/18/13 01:47 AM

Quote:

Let her EAT Fred

I was lettin' her eat real good last time. She evidently got full, and spit up a rod.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/18/13 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Let her EAT Fred

I was lettin' her eat real good last time. She evidently got full, and spit up a rod.

Minor details

this go-around works out better for you

New style motors + building more HP = sometimes s#*t happens

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/18/13 02:37 AM

Hope it works out! Way cool project
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/18/13 05:32 AM

I really like that project. I'm glad to hear you are about ready for the next round. Please keep us up on how it goes.
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/20/13 05:07 PM

Darn it. They ran ran Mod's at Attica Ohio last night part of "Hell Week" I would have love to see this one in action!!! It was a great show in Attica last night!!!
Posted By: MattW

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/20/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Not quite a year yet,,but, I have this POS SOB almost back together and ready for another test. COMPLETE new short block other than cam/lifters. Molnar crank/rods and Ross pistons. I am getting too old for this stress, head aches, heart aches, etc.

Nice to see you didn't fold up your tent. Keep up the good work Matt

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 07/20/13 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice to see you didn't fold up your tent. Keep up the good work Matt

That has crossed my mind SEVERAL times in the past few months!! But, as a wise old(er) man once told me about motor building.."You are only as good as your last one." He was meaning, NOBODY remembers all the previous ones, just the one everybody is talking about at the present time. So, I HAVE to make this PITA a good one before I break camp.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/08/13 04:29 PM

Got word from customer that motor is in and running at shop. Will try to test soon if weather permits.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/08/13 11:15 PM

looking forward to results.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/09/13 12:12 AM

...and more pictures please!!

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/16/13 03:29 AM

Got to test this evening. Motor had been run at shop on gas till it used up 5 gallons. Switched over to alky for testing this evening. Put about 15 laps on it with 5200 RPM max. Checked everything over and started letting it eat alittle. Had rev limiter on 7000. Ran about 10 laps, checked everything over again. Track needed alittle watering, then put another 15 or so laps on it. All seems good right now. Driver was wanting to turn it up some more!! He was love'n it!! I will allow alitle more next run. It was picking the left front up at mid straight-away. Going to give it just a bit more fuel pressure...was a tad low at times. Hopefully, this thing is fixed with the new crank.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/16/13 06:20 AM

Sounds encouraging

Remind them that lapping the 2nd place car will lead to rule changes

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/16/13 06:05 PM

Good going Fred. Congrat's

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/23/13 12:46 AM

Got the first race night on it. All went fine with the motor. LOTS of problems getting it hooked up. Burned up 2 new tires. All seems good with the motor,,,it's up to the chassis man and the driver now.
Posted By: 69HemiGTX

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/25/13 07:55 AM

Quote:

LOTS of problems getting it hooked up.

Remember, Karl Kinser had to detune Mark's Mopars because they made too much power. Much more than they were used to with the Chevy. Too much power is a good thing. Just get to work on those shocks, springs, and bars. The wheelman will figure it out.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/25/13 03:49 PM

links to some pictures? come on! feed us something!!

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/25/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

links to some pictures? come on! feed us something!!

I know some videos were taken,,,will post when available to me.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/26/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LOTS of problems getting it hooked up.

Remember, Karl Kinser had to detune Mark's Mopars because they made too much power. Much more than they were used to with the Chevy. Too much power is a good thing. Just get to work on those shocks, springs, and bars. The wheelman will figure it out.

"...work on shocks, springs, and bars." Second race night....broke pull bar, broke yoke off drive shaft, bent J-bar and hiems.
Must be starting to get hooked up. Going to longer track this week. Maybe see some progress there. Wheelman likes the motor, just taking time to get it all worked out.

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/26/13 04:41 PM

Glad she's making laps Fred
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/26/13 04:56 PM

i read that the 5.7 block and bottom end are built for 1000 hp----the only production line engine to do so---mopar admits that the stock heads wont support it (1000 hp)but those are available-----one of my friends is running a dodge nascar motor in a tubular chassis covered with 49 jeep skin at a drag strip in douglas wyoming---he has been getting lots of attention with it...
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Gen 3 Hemi on dirt.. - 08/26/13 05:31 PM

A 6.1 block and crank, 1000hp is doable. A 5.7 block for sure, crank rods and pistons...not so much.
© 2024 Moparts Forums