Moparts

Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy

Posted By: BBR

Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 04:07 PM

I've been looking at them and it just kills me to spend $400 for a few brackets, 4 rod ends and a couple pieces of tubing.

I've done some web searching and found a few folks who have made their own. Some look like crap and others, pretty nice.

Has anybody here made their own? Any pointers, pictures?

They just seem too simple to not try to make myself.

-James
Posted By: 64hemi330sedan

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 04:16 PM

BIG BLOCK DART .COM.HAS A WHOLE TECH POST WITH COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO BUILD THEM.

Attached picture 4806122-64HEMI.jpg

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 04:17 PM

Thanks, I will go check that out!
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 04:59 PM

Made some about 10 years ago.Worked good,but sold the car and don't have any pics.
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 05:22 PM

Quote:

I've been looking at them and it just kills me to spend $400 for a few brackets, 4 rod ends and a couple pieces of tubing.

I've done some web searching and found a few folks who have made their own. Some look like crap and others, pretty nice.

-James

not to sound like an [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] at all but your not only paying 400 for the parts. your paying for customer service which is second to none
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 07:16 PM

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 08:23 PM

Quote:

-James

I have a set and would have to agree. Yes they are designed well, (well sorta, I don't like the thin nylocks, I use castlelated nuts myself) but there must be a HUGE profit margin in these!!!
Posted By: blairboy3

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/11/08 08:54 PM

Well, maybe... maybe not. How long did R&D take. How many units do they sell (as well made as they are, I doubt anyone buys more than one set for their car). Who manufactures them? If they have them outsourced, what does the mf'r charge, and how many units do they have to order at a time. If they do it in hows, how many hours does it take for fabrication?

And, as mentioned, Calvert's customer support is second to none. You're buying more than just a set of caltracs

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 01:42 AM

Yeah I know, but that really reminds me of software companies that charge for a tech support subscription... grrrr... don't get me started on that. lol

Anyway, back to the original topic. Didn't RedRam make a set? I seem to recall him having a set he made on his truck.

Posted By: mark_gates

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 02:41 AM

I made my own set, and they work great. I posted them here once 3 or 4 years ago, but I don't have the pics anymore.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 02:50 AM

My dad made a set for his challenger, but I don't have any pics.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 03:34 AM

Quote:

I made my own set, and they work great. I posted them here once 3 or 4 years ago, but I don't have the pics anymore.

Attached picture 4807622-caltracksgates.jpg

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 03:50 AM

Here are the ones I made sans the pivots which someone gave to me.

Good rod ends run about $20-25 each, bung and jam nuts aren't real expensive, then it's mostly raw mild steel materials, chrome moly force tube and aluminum for the spring eye bushings.
Posted By: go green

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 03:53 AM

Build them they are easy .

I copied a magnum force front end for my Coronet when they first came out .
You must realize that the people building these parts are like you and I. God bless them for posting lots of pictures .
HA HA

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 04:34 AM

Ahh... I found RedRam's.

Thanks for the pics guys! Looks like it may be time to bust out the plasma cutter!
Posted By: wildcargo

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 01:41 PM

I made a set of Bud tracks when the outher brand first came out as the outher brand would not fit inside the spring relocation boxes. I have had them mounted in the car with a set of stock 63 springs and all looked good, but I took them out as it was in the middle of the season and I just wanted to go and put the shoe polish on the window. Thay have bin sitting in the shead ever since, as the car is in retirement.
Posted By: daithi2

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 03:17 PM

BBR, if you decide to undertake this project let me know i wanna come over and see the process to make a set for the dizzel.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/12/08 03:33 PM

Roger.

I have been thinking about using a urethane bushing instead of a rod end. Mainly because they are inexpensive, durable and available in a bunch of different lengths.

Like this:

Attached picture 4808181-4-Link_Round_Adj_Bar_with_Poly_Bushings.jpg

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 02:27 PM

Can anybody measure the center to center distances on the bellcranks? i.e. Center of spring pivot to the two lower holes and center of spring pivot to bolt that sits on top of the spring.

Thanks!

-James

Attached picture 4821273-image6.jpg
Posted By: clutch

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 03:54 PM

I have to go over and crawl under mine anyway I will measure them up

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 07:29 PM

Thanks!

Posted By: clutch

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 08:03 PM

Here they are

Attached picture 4821890-image6.jpg
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 08:27 PM

Now all you need is the length of the rear attaching point on the spring plate.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 09:10 PM

THANKS MARK!

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 09:27 PM

do you weld the rear attachment ears directly to the existing shock plate or do you weld them to a separate plate???

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 09:41 PM

Quote:

do you weld the rear attachment ears directly to the existing shock plate or do you weld them to a separate plate???

You could try to weld the plate to the current shock plates.

I built my own:

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/18/08 10:26 PM

Nice!

I'll take a set!

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/21/08 05:24 AM

Ohh looky:

From this:

To this:

They are over-square because of the shape of my leaf spring at the eye. It has an on-center spring eye.

Man I love my plasma cutter.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/21/08 12:31 PM

why the extra holes? adjustability?
Posted By: Dave64

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/21/08 12:45 PM

Swiss cheese lightweight racing versions...

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/21/08 01:24 PM

Quote:

why the extra holes? adjustability?

Yes.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/23/08 02:45 AM

Worked some more today.

The spring plate on the Ranger is not flat so I decided to add a flat section. So I plasma'd 2 - 5.25" x 2.5" x .25" pieces.

Then I cut out 2 chunks of 2' square tube.

Then I drilled a hole for the bolt and plasma'd one side out and welded them to the flat pieces.

This is how it fits in.

This is the final product. The shiny black paint made taking a good pic hard. I should have shot it with flat for the pic.

That's all for now.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/23/08 03:42 PM

This thread needs to go to the the tech archives. Thank you!
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/23/08 11:37 PM

agreed!!
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/23/08 11:57 PM

this guy has skill for sure.......
Posted By: Butt Ugly

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/24/08 12:15 AM

Quote:

Or should it go to the FBI or maybe to China, Seams to me like this is a blatent infrigment of a patent
One guy builds his own, maybe OK maybe not. Sharing with others kinda
If people are to profit( improved 60ft ) from this thread, sorry, I would be peeved if I was the original manufacturer.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/24/08 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Or should it go to the FBI or maybe to China, Seams to me like this is a blatent infrigment of a patent
If people are to profit( improved 60ft ) from this thread, sorry, I would be peeved if I was the original manufacturer.

just the slightest variations makes it legal.. however I bought ALL my caltracs (real)stuff from a vendor on here regardless....

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/24/08 01:32 AM

Quote:

I'm not selling them, nor making them for other people. Just showing guys how much fun I have been having in my shop.
Posted By: Butt Ugly

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/24/08 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not selling them, nor making them for other people. Just showing guys how much fun I have been having in my shop.

Maybe just bad timing, brother n law is going through the courts trying to protect some technologies from a former employee. Not car/mpar related. Just stuck a nerve as I read the thread.
And your work rocks

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/26/08 04:10 AM

Tubing came today and it is only threaded on one end... pooooop. Luckily, one of the guys I work with happens to have a 3/4"-16 tap. It is not LH thread, but that's ok. It will just make making bar adjustments a little more involved. At least with RH-RH, if the jam nuts vibrate loose, the bar can not change length.

All hail the king of caterpillar welding.

Running total update:

3/16" plate = $8.00
steel tubing = $36.00 (1" x 24" DOM internally threaded 3/4"-16)
grade 8 bolts = $22.00 (2)9/16 x 4, (2)5/8 x 3, (2)5/8 x 4, (2)3/8 x 3.5 and nylock nuts.)

Subtotal = $66.00

All I need now are the rod ends, and 2 pieces of 3/8" ID tubing cut to 3" (which I have) and I will almost be ready to bolt them in.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/28/08 07:18 AM

looks good.. why didnt you just go with the tube bungs like the prior posters?? cost?

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/28/08 12:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But what if you 60's go down .15 over the caltracs version from them then you have everyone wanting a set and you could just take donations for like $349.99

Nice Work...

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/28/08 06:06 PM

Quote:

looks good.. why didnt you just go with the tube bungs like the prior posters?? cost?

Yes. 24" is the length these came in and the length I needed. I thought these came threaded on both ends, so it would have been real easy. Now I have to thread one end, but that's no real biggie either. I did not trust my ability to weld on a tube bung with out jacking at least one of them up. lol
Posted By: Flite_727

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/28/08 11:08 PM

here's the set i built, the transfer link material is on back order from the chassis shop. (1 1/4" X .125 wall 4130 chromoly). i got all the dimensions from actually measuring a set that pro max had on display at the mopar nats. i drew it up on shop cam & cut them out at work, on the cnc machining center, during lunchtime, of course!

Attached picture 4844483-DSCN4076.JPG

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 04:05 AM

Cool.

This is what mine look like today. I added a triangular brace to the back of the square tune for additional strength. I also tapped the other ends of the tubes today.

Rod ends I bought locally:

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 08:11 AM

looks good.. did you make the second set of adjustment holes above or below the ones from the measurements clutch gave you?

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 01:08 PM

Quote:

here's the set i built, the transfer link material is on back order from the chassis shop. (1 1/4" X .125 wall 4130 chromoly). i got all the dimensions from actually measuring a set that pro max had on display at the mopar nats. i drew it up on shop cam & cut them out at work, on the cnc machining center, during lunchtime, of course!

LOL
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 01:22 PM

I made a set for my wreck. Make SURE you get some good shocks too. I tryed mine out at the track with the old set of stock shocks I'd been running with my pinion snubber. I'm lucky I'm still here to type this. I've since bought and installed a set of Rancho 9000's from Calverts racing.Dave
Posted By: moparx

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 02:28 PM

Quote:

I made a set for my wreck. Make SURE you get some good shocks too. I tryed mine out at the track with the old set of stock shocks I'd been running with my pinion snubber. I'm lucky I'm still here to type this. I've since bought and installed a set of Rancho 9000's from Calverts racing.Dave

i understand the need for a good shock, but could you elaborate on the behavior of your truck before the shock change ?

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 04:35 PM

Quote:

looks good.. did you make the second set of adjustment holes above or below the ones from the measurements clutch gave you?

They are above.
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 05:01 PM

Jim, nice work duuude.. Do you plan on lowering your truck or are you leaving it kinda close to stock height.. I have a few minor problems with mine there. I'm gonna make some changes soon, also a post on here when I get some pics.

You get them on the truck yet? You've seen my vid in the sig right???
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 11/30/08 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i understand the need for a good shock, but could you elaborate on the behavior of your truck before the shock change ?

The old shocks topped out at the hit of the throttle. It spin, slid, and porpoised the entire length of the track. Without some control on the extension or compression of the shocks, you'll see zero weight transfer to the rear. I spent my whole time during each pass just trying to keep it off the rail and trying to keep it semi-straight. I tryed 5 passes that day, made it to the end under full power 3 times. I should have aborted those 3 also, I was a danger on the track. Dave

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/01/08 03:51 AM

Quote:

Jim, nice work duuude.. Do you plan on lowering your truck or are you leaving it kinda close to stock height.. I have a few minor problems with mine there. I'm gonna make some changes soon, also a post on here when I get some pics.

You get them on the truck yet? You've seen my vid in the sig right???

Thanks!

Yes, my truck is lowered. Axle flip, frame notch, etc etc. I have a pic of an axle flip lowered Ranger with caltracs and I have been studying every inch of it.

I have definitely seen your video. Makes me all the more anxious to hit the track!

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/01/08 12:21 PM

Just to shorten up my situation, my body bumpers that are mounted to the bed support frame/cross member are bottoming out on the topside of the axle housing. I have maybe 3/4" clearance between them and the shocks are nearly compressed with it sitting idle on the garage floor.. Make sure you look at that too.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/01/08 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The old shocks topped out at the hit of the throttle. It spin, slid, and porpoised the entire length of the track. Without some control on the extension or compression of the shocks, you'll see zero weight transfer to the rear. I spent my whole time during each pass just trying to keep it off the rail and trying to keep it semi-straight. I tryed 5 passes that day, made it to the end under full power 3 times. I should have aborted those 3 also, I was a danger on the track. Dave

i thought the shock being too short would be a problem.glad you kept it shiney side up ! how much longer shocks did you end up with ? also, how stiff on extension did you go ?

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/01/08 08:50 PM

Quote:

Just to shorten up my situation, my body bumpers that are mounted to the bed support frame/cross member are bottoming out on the topside of the axle housing. I have maybe 3/4" clearance between them and the shocks are nearly compressed with it sitting idle on the garage floor.. Make sure you look at that too.

As it sits on the floor, I have 5"+ of travel before the diff housing hits the bumpstops. IIRC, the shocks are sitting at mid stroke in their travel. I may need to go to a longer shock, but I will only know that after a few runs.

A friend on another site with a healthy BBF in a cal-trac'd F100 has a video of his rear end violently hopping off the ground at the stab of the throttle. Pretty wicked looking. He finally got it to settle down with much firmer shock settings.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/01/08 08:56 PM

I have the adjustable Rancho's. I noticed this after I made the adjustment from #5 setting to #7. Not sure if it was like that before the adjustment er not. Sounds like you won't haveta worry 'bout it though..
Posted By: _G_

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/02/08 10:45 AM

Quote:

Cool.

This is what mine look like today. I added a triangular brace to the back of the square tune for additional strength. I also tapped the other ends of the tubes today.

Rod ends I bought locally:

Looks good, hopefully they work well for you.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/07/08 08:41 PM

One side done. The old spring bushings came out much easier than I thought they would.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/07/08 10:46 PM

Looking great... Did you take the bushings out to replace them, or are you putting solid aluminum inserts in them or what?

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 12/07/08 11:50 PM

I was going to use solid aluminum, but ended up with polyurethane instead. If it proves to be inconsistent, I will make some aluminum ones.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 02/17/09 03:57 AM

I have been using this thread to start building my own. Thanks for all the input guys.

I wanted to share something I ran across. I was starting to mock up the transfer pivot plates at work, and was looking at the 3 pt hitch on the back of our ford tractor, and thought, "Man, those look just like the transfer links." I did some searching around and found some at NAPA.

Closest one I found there was this one:

Part number 8192002, sells for about $50.00. Said it was 29" long, but they couldnt tell me if that was fully extended or fully collapsed.

LAter I was at Harbor Freight, looking for a wheel balancer, and found this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96073

Now looking at the pic on the web site, it looks ALOT smaller than it really is. I actually thought at first it might bee too heavy. I didnt have a tape measure with me, but the holes in the rod ends looked to be close to 3/4" maybe bigger. And at $20.00 or so, its a pretty cheap set up. The body of the rod tube is pretty thick.

I am not sure how a lift arm or top link for a 3 pt hitch will hold up under a severly high HP car, or how it will handle the shock loads of a heavy car with a stick and slicks. But even if you dont want the HF units, if the NAPA unit works for $50.00 it still isnt a bad deal. By the time you buy the tubing and rod ends, youre pretty close to that price anyway, and dont need to fab anything.

Well thought i would share. I am going to try the HF units. I dont like buying stuff there anymore than anyone else, but if it doesnt work I can always upgrade.

WE have a farm store nearby as well, I may stop in there and have a look-se.

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 02/17/09 01:35 PM

lmao

I had the same thought when I started this project. The top links *are* heavy and the super coarse threads are a bit sloppy, but I'd be interested to see if it works.

4x4 guys take these links, cut & lengthen them and use them for suspension links.

Some others have suggested using these:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/TIE-ROD-SLEEVE-3and4-THREAD,2086.html

But I don't know if they would be strong enough.

good luck and take pics!

Re: Homebuilt Caltrac/Slide-a link copy - 02/17/09 09:04 PM

I wouldn't use those HF links.

If you don't want CM force bars, you can get DOM tubing and thread it. Or buy bungs to fit.

Last thing you need it the force bar flexing or breaking.
© 2024 Moparts Forums