Moparts

aluminum bumper brackets

Posted By: Old School

aluminum bumper brackets - 09/12/12 10:02 PM

does anybody make theese for a 68 cuda?
Posted By: domingo

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/12/12 10:46 PM

Im gonna make a set for my own car, a 67. Maybe I can make 2 sets?
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/13/12 02:06 AM

Make 3 sets please

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/13/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

Im gonna make a set for my own car, a 67. Maybe I can make 2 sets?

domingo, when you make them, take a pic and post it. thanks
Posted By: crazyjjk

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/13/12 01:20 PM

somebody post a pic and dimensions of original ones. Lot of us out here who could probably make them.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/13/12 01:31 PM

I made a set of both the fronts and the rears for a friends 68' Cuda, and let me tell you, it isn't fun. Interesting yes because of the special compound bends and radius twist on the mounting surfaces that if not made correctly, will not work.
Saved over 14 pounds if I remember correctly. They went on like stock as I wiped the sweat off my forehead.
No, I will not make other sets because it takes too much time and labor plus the material to be co$t effective. A jig would make it easier to venture into. Not enough time in my hectic schedule, but good luck every one.

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/13/12 08:53 PM

Quote:

I made a set of both the fronts and the rears for a friends 68' Cuda, and let me tell you, it isn't fun. Interesting yes because of the special compound bends and radius twist on the mounting surfaces that if not made correctly, will not work.
Saved over 14 pounds if I remember correctly. They went on like stock as I wiped the sweat off my forehead.
No, I will not make other sets because it takes too much time and labor plus the material to be co$t effective. A jig would make it easier to venture into. Not enough time in my hectic schedule, but good luck every one.

please make me a set, pretty please...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/13/12 09:11 PM

I made a set years ago out of .100 alum to hold my
plastic bumper(plastic not fiberglass) that I vac-
formed... the bumper and mounts was 5.7#... that was
on my 69 Valiant 100... they're pretty easy to make
Posted By: turner

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 12:33 AM

Bought these from Mystical cuda if I remember correctly, also came with a chromed fiberglass bumper.......these brackets are truly a work of art, they were built on a jig and as stated they are alot more complex than you would think.

Attached picture 7378323-IMG_2842.JPG

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 12:36 AM

they were a special build, not a product that is offered for purchase, just to clarify that ............although they might remember who fabbed them up, they were built somewhere in Washington State I believe

Attached picture 7378326-IMG_2840.JPG

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 12:37 AM

Fabbed from 1/8" aluminum

Attached picture 7378327-IMG_2844.JPG

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 12:55 AM

Quote:

Fabbed from 1/8" aluminum

turner, your just teasing us.....

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 01:22 AM

Please don't 4 get about me
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 03:37 AM

Those are beautiful and by the construction, the multi-welded pieces takes the hard work out of the equation. Mine were done using one piece of Aluminum and hand formed at every bend and elevation to conform to a stock fit. Remember that there are many grades of Aluminum hardness and softness. The right alloy has to be used to hold out, though in an accident, even the steel ones don't do so well.
If this mad science of weight loss was my life shift, I would have made every bracket available already. Lots of work that only can happen with passion. Now if only I can cook up a set of Aluminum doors for the early B's. LOL. AMD is asleep at the controls.
Posted By: Racebuddy

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 03:46 AM

Totally Sweeeet
Posted By: astjp2

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 06:10 AM

Use 6061T6 and weld it, you can form other grades but the T6 is too hard. Its also easier to bend in a press brake with large dies. 60 ton would work. Tim

Quote:

Those are beautiful and by the construction, the multi-welded pieces takes the hard work out of the equation. Mine were done using one piece of Aluminum and hand formed at every bend and elevation to conform to a stock fit. Remember that there are many grades of Aluminum hardness and softness. The right alloy has to be used to hold out, though in an accident, even the steel ones don't do so well.
If this mad science of weight loss was my life shift, I would have made every bracket available already. Lots of work that only can happen with passion. Now if only I can cook up a set of Aluminum doors for the early B's. LOL. AMD is asleep at the controls.

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 10:31 AM

Quote:

Please don't 4 get about me

judging by your pic, you look like you need the steel brackets........that is a giant wheelstand, hopefully when I get a new convertor mine will launch like yours

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 10:38 AM

U don't want it to leave like that it looks good but hard on parts. Lol
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: aluminum bumper brackets - 09/14/12 04:54 PM

Unlimited Fiberglass shows fiberglass bumper brackets available. http://www.up22.com/barracuda.htm#BARRACUDA 67-69
© 2024 Moparts Forums