Moparts

how do you guys get to this weld

Posted By: earthmover

how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 03:46 AM

Attached picture 7375571-HPIM0788.JPG

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 03:48 AM

really hate to cut the qrt. to finish just this little 3" weld..sorry bout all the ??? and post
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 03:48 AM

VERY carefully!!!!!!!

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 03:49 AM

lol you funny mike.. hows that small block coming along???did you make it out this year???
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 04:05 AM

I believe you can get in there with the mig... run the
wire out before you start and run it hot with more
wire speed... it wont be pretty... in cases like this
you have you have to think ahead and work your way out
(I know you bought it this way)... plus in a case like
this it doesnt have to be 100% around

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 04:11 AM

thanks mr.p i was thinking of trying it that way ..but at the same time i was thinking if it would be ok to pass the cert when i need or get ready to..i will try it and if all fall grind and get someone else to do it.lol
Posted By: 8urvette

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 04:14 AM

does NHRA say 60% with gussets?
when i did mine- it aint pretty- but i switched to inner shield for the places i could not get the mig torch in. so i could do it from 2-3 inches. ugly but looked like it got penetration. I think i have maybe 4 inches through out the entire car that are flux core welded. Probably closer to 3 total inches.. just a few small sports here and there.

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 04:20 AM

thanks that gives my hope ..lol i may be able to do this myself..
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 05:19 AM

Quote:

lol you funny mike.. hows that small block coming along???did you make it out this year???

Slow and No!!!!!! LOL!!!!! It is running,still need front tires and a few small things. Hows your BB coming along??

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 05:23 AM

big block is tog. just gotta put the swing pick up in it..thats it in my pics.. im using for mock up lol, trans is done, just working on the chassis and trying to get it finished and painted..
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 05:43 AM

You need a big cup and gas screen, stick your tungsten out farther than normal (I'm guessing an inch should give you enough reach), and turn your gas up to like 45. Should be no problem

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 05:52 AM

Quote:

You need a big cup and gas screen, stick your tungsten out farther than normal (I'm guessing an inch should give you enough reach), and turn your gas up to like 45. Should be no problem

He's migging

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 06:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He's migging

Posted By: DemonDust

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 06:15 AM

Sorry didn't see any mention of the weld method. I guess I just assumed since it was a cage it was gonna be tigged...

Note to self; Stop assuming!
Posted By: turner

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 10:18 AM

If you could switch to stick and get piece of 3/32 7018 excalibur rod and run it downhill it would look better, thats my opinion........but then again I weld for a living and feel real comfortable stick welding
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 11:04 AM

Actually you can get a cage certified when it's just tacked.

I also believe that a 75% weld is acceptable if there is a gusset. But you need to check on that for certain
Posted By: racerx

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Actually you can get a cage certified when it's just tacked.

I also believe that a 75% weld is acceptable if there is a gusset. But you need to check on that for certain

I think that i have herd this two.

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 12:37 PM

I was told by 1 inspector it needed to be 80% but I
never seen a guy get out a tape to measure the diameter
and figure it... so its up to the inspectors discretion

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 01:01 PM

i have a stick welder also..
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 01:33 PM

Do you know any pipe fiter buddies? If so Ive used a very small 90 and 45 degree tig torch that should fin in there.

Contact them and see about having them run over and nail those little welds out for ya.

Ive used a torch just like this before for welding in very tight places on the job. I know you are migging this, but you can finishthe job with one of these and it wont get all globber boogered up.

Attached picture 7375908-tigtorch.jpg
Posted By: bentwheel43

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 02:02 PM

If I was doing it I would run a bead to the tube only that going up,then make the weld that tie the front tubes, then welded the tubes to that bead made on the back tube.It sould be a good up hill weld.

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 04:21 PM

this is whre that weld needs to be done but on the side closer to the outside of the car.. it has the bar from the main hoop ,kidney bar,and bar that runs from the front to the main hoop.. it has been welded except about 2" maybe.. can i stick it or mig it best i can and add a tab on the inside the tie all points tog..??? just a thought...

Attached picture 7376148-HPIM0762.JPG
Posted By: oldtimer5151

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 06:24 PM

Get a friend over with a big pry bar and do like MR.P suggested and mig weld it with shielded gas. You will have to weld a little on both sides to complete the weld.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 08:11 PM

If your used to it stick weld.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: how do you guys get to this weld - 09/12/12 09:31 PM

Quote:

If your used to it stick weld.

Not if you want to pass tech in the states.
© 2024 Moparts Forums