Moparts

Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer

Posted By: PRPLHAZ

Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/04/12 06:56 PM

Will a stock crank pulley work with the Fluid Damper or does it require a custom pulley? It currently has an aluminum single groove under-drive pulley & I noticed there were a lot of washers on the alternator bracket so it has me wondering. I pulled it out of a car with manual steering & want to put it in a car with power steering so I need a crank pulley with two grooves.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/04/12 08:23 PM

Does it have a flush face or a recessed face ?
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/04/12 11:02 PM

JohnRR sold me a recessed fluid damper for a bb stroker I built and installed in a friends car. It worked perfect with a complete stock pulley/bracket system.
Posted By: PRPLHAZ

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 02:01 PM

The face is flush. With out taking any measurements, it looks like it is pushing the pulley out further, which explains why there are 10 washers spacing my alternator?

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 03:11 PM

Quote:

The face is flush. With out taking any measurements, it looks like it is pushing the pulley out further, which explains why there are 10 washers spacing my alternator?

I think with a flush face you will need a hemi $$ pulley
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 03:40 PM

March has pulleys for the flush face Fluidamper.

Attached picture 7365789-pulley.jpg
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 04:10 PM

I had a ximiliar problem. MArch was completlely useless, so I resorted to a single groove pulley taken off a '66 B-body 318 Coronet----problem solved
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 04:17 PM

also Keep in mind the MARCH crank pulleys are underdriven (SMALLER DIA) and dont turn the altenator fast enough.

DAMHIK

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 06:56 PM

Quote:

I had a ximiliar problem. MArch was completlely useless, so I resorted to a single groove pulley taken off a '66 B-body 318 Coronet----problem solved

Does the poly 318 use shallower pulleys ?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 07:01 PM

my stock pulley worked but I have a "recessed" face damper.

Attached picture 7366062-001a.jpg
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/05/12 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Does the poly 318 use shallower pulleys ?

Dont think so. Im thinking I tried a polly pulley with a pile of factory pullys I tried on my ATI damper on the Demon.

I ended up useing a pulley from DMI, or something like that from mancini racing and it worked with very lettle shimming to align it up.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/34bicrshpude.html
Posted By: therocks

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/06/12 01:31 PM

Usually the March pulleys work.My kid sold one of the two he had to a member and it worked perfect.As for being underdrive we both run them on our BBs and have had no charging problesm or cooling problems.I think he still has one new one in the garage.Cant remeember if its 1 or 2 groove.Our setups have been on at least 10 years and both are street driven.Rocky
Posted By: moparguy1967

Re: Crank pulley w/ Fluid Damper harmonic balancer - 09/06/12 09:55 PM

I having the same issue with finding a crank pulley. I just call March, and spoke with someone in their tech dept. he said to measure from the inside face of the dampner to the face of the water pump snout. Then let them know what the offset is. They have a few different pulley that may work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums