Moparts

Reserection of my old W8 Bullet***UPDATE 5 RESULTS***

Posted By: 408strokerdart

Reserection of my old W8 Bullet***UPDATE 5 RESULTS*** - 09/04/12 03:42 AM

Been working on putting my old engine back together. I think the problems with the engine were well documented in previous posts, however I discovered more issues since then that I haven't shared. Anyway, I am am much further along than this post suggests and I will bring everyone up to speed pretty quickly. I haven't posted much for quite a while and it has been 100 degrees + for a long time here and that equals no progress in my shop.

I will start from the beginning. I had the block honed at a shop in the DFW area by a company called Farris Racing Engines. They took the bores .002 over to 4.187 and they seem to be straight and no taper. They were the only ones that had torque plates for an R3 anywhere here. The jury is still out on them as they lost 5 head studs and several nuts that belonged to the set. I called them about the missing pieces, but no return call.....go figure as that cost me another $40 to replace the missing pieces. I wanted to tighten up the main clearances to .0025 and went with coated Clevite main bearings this time. All of the bearing clearances came out very good between .0023 and .0026 on #2 thru #5. #1 was very tight with that bearing and was .0009 . So, I had another set of bearings on hand that were not coated and threw in one of those and bam...right at .0025 clearance. So, the #1 bearing is not coated to make the clearance correct. In this sequence, the cam is also slid in. I am eager to see what this "smaller" cam will do in this combination. I installed the Jesel belt drive cover using one of the Superperformance short deck timing cover gaskets. The two upper holes weren't big enough to get bolts thru, but I will get with Greg about that. Those gaskets appear to be high quality and I really like the gasket material. I had issues with the fittment of the belt drive. The lower pulley is not as thick in the hub area and the shoulder on the Callies crank interfeared with the end of the ATI damper. It wouldn't draw up all of the way....about .18" or so. Had to machine the end of the balancer hub .20" deep and about .025" larger diameter to fit over the step on the journal. This wasn't obvious, but glad I found the problem. I found it when I compared the old gear drive lower gear thickness with the lower pulley of the Jesel system. I will post updates of the rest of the short block assembly by the end of the week and long block assembly shortly there after. Here are a few teeser pictures.

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 04:43 AM

Lookin good Good you caught the bearing deal. Whats the whole motor combo by chance.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 01:19 PM

Brian were all anxiouse to see this bad boy,i hope the freakin heat gets out of here also cause theres no rush to get out in it.I appreciate the pics and the info and hope the best(really wanna see how the heads work) w the combo go get em.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 02:45 PM

Quote:

Lookin good Good you caught the bearing deal. Whats the whole motor combo by chance.

R3 Short Deck (old pro stock truck block), 3.79 stroke Callies, GRP rod, CP piston (4.185"), Charlies custom pan with swinging pick up, old W8 roundy round heads updated by Brett Miller with his CNC port program (picked up some nice numbers with much better efficiency), Titanium valves, Jesel 1.7 rockers, New 50mm roller cam (reduced duration, increased lift from old cam), Jesel Belt Drive, Peterson External Oil Pump, Crane Ultra Pro lifters, Ported 598 Cast Intake opened up to Dominator flg, 1050 Quickfuel dominator, firecore 50 wires.
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 03:12 PM

Looks nice.Im looking forward to seeing what kinda numbers you put down when its all done.Brett does some awsome work for sure.I will be keeping a eye on this post.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 03:12 PM

Brian, did you happen to mic the bearing shell to see if it was a fluke, maybe too much coating, it's been known to happen with a bearing being tight in a set,even un coated one's, thats why we check them, lookin' good so far.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 03:18 PM

Quote:

Looks nice.Im looking forward to seeing what kinda numbers you put down when its all done.Brett does some awsome work for sure.I will be keeping a eye on this post.

Yes, Brett does very nice work! I will be keeping everyone in suspense on the results though. All in due time.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 03:20 PM

Quote:

Brian, did you happen to mic the bearing shell to see if it was a fluke, maybe too much coating, it's been known to happen with a bearing being tight in a set,even un coated one's, thats why we check them, lookin' good so far.

I did not check that. You have me curious now though and I will take a second look. I just seen the relatively large difference in clearance and didn't think about it possibly being in the coating.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 03:21 PM

Good deal Brian . I't great to see it going back together. Are you planning on running it this fall?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did not check that. You have me curious now though and I will take a second look. I just seen the relatively large difference in clearance and didn't think about it possibly being in the coating.

if it is an odd ball then clevite should replace it.
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 03:32 PM

Cool

Cant wait to hear all the results

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 04:30 PM

Quote:

Cool

Cant wait to hear all the results

HaHa....you know the results, but play along anyway. You are probably the only one here that knows.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 04:32 PM

Quote:

Good deal Brian . I't great to see it going back together. Are you planning on running it this fall?

It is back together.....and yes to your last Q.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 06:08 PM

Posted By: W5DART66

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 06:13 PM

Man I hope I don't let you down...
Looks nice

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

Looks nice

You are one of the few that haven't let me down. Superior workmanship and attention to details. Can't say enough good things about your work or ports. It won't be much longer and you will have your answers as to how well this port works on my stuff.

I just hope that I did the heads justice by making everything else "right" under them.
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 07:46 PM

Glad to hear its coming back together, Brian!

Hope all is well!
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 07:49 PM

Its good to see it going back together. I hope we get hooked up this fall.Are you going to the dyno before running it? If so where?

Attached picture 7364484-crandallet19.jpg

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 08:22 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear its coming back together, Brian!

Hope all is well!

Thanks Ben. I will still be calling you and be bugging you for Racepak help....don't you worry!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 08:24 PM

Quote:

Its good to see it going back together. I hope we get hooked up this fall.Are you going to the dyno before running it? If so where?

No dyno. It is in the "dyno" now.

Hope to get together at a race soon. Let me know when you are travelling this direction to run.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 08:42 PM

Glad to hear you are getting closer to getting back out there. Look forward to hearing the results of all the new changes.
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 10:32 PM

That thing should make some good power
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 10:41 PM

Glad to see you back Brian Motor should be a really nice piece when your done
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/04/12 11:15 PM

Looks good.....

What rpm range are you planning for this deal???

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 01:29 AM

Quote:

Looks good.....

8000 to 8200 max Jim. New cam will make more torque than the old one.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 01:50 AM

After all of the trouble you've had, I would have put it on a Dyno! I hope it all goes well, lesser people would have thrown in the towel long ago!
Posted By: BigDog68Dart

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 01:51 AM

looks like you are coming along nicely, Dad is ready to break that thing in for you! you are out of practice and you know i'll take it easy on it!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 02:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks good.....

Are we talking peak HP at 8-8200, or cross rpm???

RPM is ET....in these smallblocks. Converter flash, gear ratio and shift recovery, get it done. With the right hardware, 8000 is not that high these days and should be easy on maintenance.
Posted By: 440W8 Duster

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 02:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks nice

You are one of the few that haven't let me down. Superior workmanship and attention to details. Can't say enough good things about your work or ports. It won't be much longer and you will have your answers as to how well this port works on my stuff.

I just hope that I did the heads justice by making everything else "right" under them.

Brett does good work.

Attached picture 7365145-downsized_0707121753a.jpg

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks good.....

Are we talking peak HP at 8-8200, or cross rpm???

RPM is ET....in these smallblocks. Converter flash, gear ratio and shift recovery, get it done. With the right hardware, 8000 is not that high these days and should be easy on maintenance.

I agree with all of that Jim. I will be feeling this combo out and give it what it wants. I'm loving the belt drive as I don't have anything in front of it and I can change/play with cam timing in just a few minutes. Clearances were checked within a range both directions from the installed so I know where I can safely play.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 03:09 AM

Quote:

looks like you are coming along nicely, Dad is ready to break that thing in for you! you are out of practice and you know i'll take it easy on it!

Yes Dad....alot further than you think.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/05/12 04:10 AM

hey good luck i hope it all work out for you

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 03:26 AM

A few more pictures as it went back together.....

I went with Total Seal gapless top ring/Napier second ring and low tension oil ring. Pistons were sent off to have the skirts coated with some proprietary coating that added about .0015 to the piston diameter. This was done to compensate for the .002 over the cylinders were honed to remove the grooves from the debris. I used the total seal quick seat in the cylinders and coated everything with their TS1 to seat the rings quickly. Rod bearings were all set to .0028 to .0032 per the GRP spec of .0025 to .0035

Also went with a new Charlies pan that was built to my drawing for use with the swinging pickup. It holds almost 9 quarts under the crank throw without changing my ground clearance. I did a small kick out that is slightly raised off the floor to add volume, but keep all of the available oil in the sump area. This has Charlies newest tray design (full length without a pump).

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 03:31 AM

Quote:

Sorry I really didn't respond to this question Dom, but I will touch on the combo as I post updates of the engine re-assembly. Just my way to keep everyone tuned in.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 04:12 AM

The last pic of the pan whats the little sleeve welded to the pan?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 04:15 AM

Quote:

There is one under the kick out on the other side to match. They are for my drip pan to mount to. The drip pan has pins on it and just slide forward to engauge and then dzus into place on the front of the pan.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 04:17 AM

good idea

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 04:28 AM

Quote:

good idea

I just hate diapers and wanted a way that I could still access the bottom easily and pass tech. Plus it isn't just a drip pan....it's a belly pan.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 04:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is one under the kick out on the other side to match. They are for my drip pan to mount to. The drip pan has pins on it and just slide forward to engauge and then dzus into place on the front of the pan.

Brian, You're smarter than the average mule and his head is twice the size of yours!

I really like that idea. I may have to modify it a little for the cuda. Beep

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/12/12 04:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brian, You're smarter than the average mule and his head is twice the size of yours!

I really like that idea. I may have to modify it a little for the cuda. Beep

I don't know about that John....been feeling like an average mule here lately. Good luck at Norwalk if you are going. Wish I was coming up this year.
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/13/12 01:03 AM

got a pic of that pan??

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/13/12 03:44 AM

Quote:

got a pic of that pan??

Not sure what you mean....there are three pictures in my earlier post. Is there something specific you would like to see? I just might have a picture that shows it.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/13/12 04:38 AM

I think he's talking about the drip pan

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/13/12 01:46 PM

Quote:

I think he's talking about the drip pan

Oh....you are probably right. I forgot that I mentioned that earlier. I will have to take some since none exist on my computer.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/23/12 06:40 PM

To the top

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/24/12 02:46 AM

Quote:

To the top

Update coming in due time....

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/24/12 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To the top

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/24/12 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To the top

what a tease!!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/25/12 04:56 AM

Been real busy lately and just haven't had much time to update this thread. Here is a quick one.

Here is the oil pan with the Milodon pickup installed. I am happy with the design and the area of the sump section. I'm still not happy with the fitment of the pan to the block. The oil deflector in the pan hit the ends of the main caps and about 9 - 10 bolt holes didn't line up with the studs.

Coated skirts to make up the slight over bore from re-honing.

As a side note, I broke a ring installing a piston. It was the second ring (Napier .043) and I caught the end of the ring on the deck and peeled the edge of the ring back ever so slightly. I finally determined it was the crappy Proform adjustable ring compressor. It doesn't hold a perfect cylinder when compressed and is oblong. I ordered a direct fit ring compressor (to my bore size) and didn't have any issues after that. Seems like the way to go.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/25/12 06:00 PM

Brian I tried to PM you but this site wont let me. Are you attending the bracket finals at Ennis or the all door car race at Crandall on 10-8? It would be nice to see your car and BS with you a bit. I'm planning on attending those 2 races. Maybe we'll see you there

Attached picture 7394029-132825512_Nn1f9AM1_87.jpg

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 09/25/12 06:45 PM

Quote:

Brian I tried to PM you but this site wont let me. Are you attending the bracket finals at Ennis or the all door car race at Crandall on 10-8? It would be nice to see your car and BS with you a bit. I'm planning on attending those 2 races. Maybe we'll see you there

I plan on coming to Crandall for the all door car deal.

I apologize...my PM's were at their limit.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 03:19 AM

Continuing the update. I need to speed this up.

Shortblock complete.

Checking the rocker arm height. It is .100 low with the old shims. We sunk the valves about .030 to clean up the screwed up valve job....I wonder if it was .070 off before I took it apart? Maybe this is what wore the guides out so quickly?

Racing engines don't have to be ugly! I had the valve covers Hydro dipped and they look great.

Getting everything dialed in!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 03:29 AM

You better hurry up Brian. Winter's coming.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 04:23 AM

Quote:

You better hurry up Brian. Winter's coming.

I guess it's a good thing that we don't get very much winter down here.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 04:54 AM

WOW! that looks good! The valve covers look waay better than my new ebay specials. Are you going to have it running for crandall?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 05:20 AM

Quote:

WOW! that looks good! The valve covers look waay better than my new ebay specials. Are you going to have it running for crandall?

Might be possible. Did you get to run today after all of the rain yesterday?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 03:56 PM

I didnt go to Crandall IHRA finals. I'll be at Ennis NHRA and plan on Crandall the following weekend. Hope to see ya there!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 08:56 PM

Looks AWESOME

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/01/12 09:37 PM

them exhaust ports look kinda purty!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 12:36 AM

Brian Who did the valve covers?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 02:58 AM

Did you get a chance to snap a pic of your belly pan? I need to do something. Who k frame do you have?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 03:36 AM

Quote:

them exhaust ports look kinda purty!

They do! Brett does nice work.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 03:38 AM

Quote:

Brian Who did the valve covers?

Hydrocoating of Texas. They are in Cedar Hill, about 15 miles from me. They do nice work and pretty reasonable prices.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 03:41 AM

Quote:

Did you get a chance to snap a pic of your belly pan? I need to do something. Who k frame do you have?

I don't have any pics of the belly pan/drip pan on my computer. The k-frame is mine...custom built for the strut front. I did it before there were many other options out there. I think it is one of the things that makes my car as light as it is.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 11:35 AM

What strut did you put in the car Brian?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 01:38 PM

Quote:

What strut did you put in the car Brian?

It is a fabricated strut that takes standard Monroe strut cartridges and a 12" coil over spring. If I had it to do again, I would just use a double adjustable race strut. Funds were tight when I did it and it works great and is a dream at 150+. Just alot of work to get everything right. They are made from moly tubing and laser cut plate with aluminum adjuster tubes.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/02/12 08:50 PM

Can't wait til you get that bad boy together. Looking forward to seeing it run down the track.
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/06/12 02:56 PM

Ok the question i have is what are you looking to get out of it now?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/06/12 08:23 PM

Quote:

Ok the question i have is what are you looking to get out of it now?

Goal is for it to stay together so I can run the piss out of it and pick up the pace to be able to go 5.80 in the heat (so 5.65 to 5.70 in good air). Also, want my 8 second time slip.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/06/12 09:12 PM

5.70 in good air. Maybe I need to send an intake down....LOL

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/06/12 09:16 PM

that thing should run 8's in 110 deg heat,air like here where i live if the car is right,,,i'd say 8.60's/70's

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/06/12 09:44 PM

Quote:

5.70 in good air. Maybe I need to send an intake down....LOL

Man....you really want to spoil things don't you?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/06/12 09:47 PM

Brian, is that with sea level el.?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/07/12 08:19 PM

im sure you will get you 8 sec time slip good luck

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/08/12 01:47 AM

Time to check the valve to piston clearance.

Plenty of valve to piston clearance, but radial is closer than expected.

Push rod is very close to port wall. Had to grind away just a little epoxy to gain some clearance.

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture? Had to move the upper pulley 6 teeth to get the cam degreed in. Why can they get it right on a $80 timing chain, but can't get it right with a $1300 belt drive?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/08/12 05:54 AM

Dang Brian hurry up with this thing you are killing me

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/08/12 01:45 PM

Quote:

Dang Brian hurry up with this thing you are killing me

I second that!!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/08/12 02:10 PM

I guess I'm just to slow at the upload and narriation part. I have about 200 pictures.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/08/12 02:14 PM

Brian, just send them to me and I will post when you tell me too.. looks good, can't wait to see more..

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/23/12 08:30 PM

Need some more pictures to look at....

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 02:18 AM

Guess I never really followed up on this one. Remember my fittment issues with the oil pan? Against my better judgement, I sent it back to Charlies (on my dime) with the known issues of the oil deflector hitting the main studs (it was about 1 1/2" to high) and the massive amount of bolt holes that didn't line up. Charlie said that he would jump right on it as soon as it hit his door....well I had to call and remind him that he received it five days previous to my call and it should have been back to me (remember I sent this on my dime). So, I get it back and the oil deflector was lowered....about 1/2" (it does just barely clear now) and the bolt holes don't look like they were touched at all. I even sent a full size template to match the holes to and I guess it was just to difficult to make it fit! No way, no how will this thing fit on a engine and bolt down. I can get a maximum of six studs in it and the rest of the holes needed to be oblonged by as much as 1/8". How many hours do you think it takes to make a Charlies pan fit properly?

Before anyone bashes.....again; I contacted the vendor, described the problem, sent back (on my dime), vendor screwed around for a week with it, finally got it back and it still doesn't fit without alot of work from me.

This will be the last pan I ever get from Charlies. At this point, I want my money back due to the terrible workmanship. If I didn't get a dime back for the 8 hours it took me to make it fit, I still have $600 in it. I should have gone with the Williams pan for $25 more, but I wasn't sure I would have it this year.

There Brett.....how is that for an update?

Oh, I also had to send my balancer back to ATI since it has the integrated trigger wheel in the front shell. When I moved the crank trigger from the drivers side to the passenger side I couldn't get any magnets to line up with the pick up in the entire adjustment range. Ended up having to have ATI make a new one....cost almost as much as another balancer. I will never do that again. Just use the standard balancer and trigger wheel from now on since I would have only had to rotate the wheel to align magnets. Live and learn. Anyone need a 3 ring, driver side timing, 7" trigger shell with magnets starting at 30 degrees? They are only $250 new....

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 02:47 AM

Well it's an update......So sad what is acceptable in the perfrmance aftermarket world.

I still need some pictures to look at.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 02:56 AM

Well here is pic for you. LoL

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 03:04 AM

W9 to look at...... Maybe down the road.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 03:11 AM

Quote:

Nice intake line up....I like the black one. It will go nice with my carbon look valve covers.
Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 03:16 AM

Quote:

None of those are a 420.lol

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 03:59 AM

420 on the car...

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 04:03 AM

Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/25/12 05:04 AM

Quote:

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 01:15 AM

Glad to see you got rid of that RED Intake Brett Lol

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 01:24 AM

Quote:

That looks pretty Brett. You trying to get me to move on a new set of W9's now?
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 02:24 AM

That looks like a W8 exhaust port to me... But who am i?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 02:26 AM

Yes that is set of Coleman truck w8s I am fixing up.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 02:30 AM

U might get a local call on those.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 02:37 AM

Let's get back on topic and see some more of Brian's pictures.

<----------- stop this and work on the car
Posted By: poppaj

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 04:14 AM

Shame you had a problem with Charlies pans. He always did a great job fast for us. I had alot of mods I wanted on mine he did them all.
poppaj

Attached picture 7435496-monstermopar33.jpg

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/26/12 04:33 AM

Quote:

Shame you had a problem with Charlies pans. He always did a great job fast for us. I had alot of mods I wanted on mine he did them all.
poppaj

I have no idea why I can't seem to get the same level of service/quality that I have seen vendors capable of. I just couldn't catch a break on this build.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 04:32 AM

I will complete this post with pictures later, but to bring everyone up to date we finally made some passes. Most notable changes was Brett Miller's CNC intake ports and hand ported exhaust port, a new cam speced by Brett and a happy valvetrain. Again, I can't say enough about how much knowledge Brett has with the W8/W9 stuff. I know there was HP gained in a few other areas, but it was small compared to the heads and cam.

Previous best (with SDSS special assembly) was 5.85/116 1/8th mile.

New best (with my amature build skills) 5.50/125 1/8th mile.

And, BTW this was crossing the scales at 2878# race weight. New best was this past Saturday with -495' DA mineshaft conditions. The even better news is that the Racepak data shows room for improvement.

The rest of the pictures, a few videos and time slips to follow.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 04:41 AM

Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 05:02 AM

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 05:28 AM

Very nice!!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 06:39 AM

That's haulin the mail! Congrats Brian, I know you have worked for it.
Posted By: mafo

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 09:29 AM

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 11:44 AM

Fantastic! I knew u were gonna get it..Brian im happy for ya and now another sb gettin it done. Congrats man

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 11:46 AM

Ps all them hrs of.work paying off Brett w5dart
Posted By: BPE

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 11:55 AM

Picking up 9 mph in the 1/8 is pretty impressive. Good job guys

Rod

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 12:49 PM

Now that is really good performance pick up.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 01:11 PM

(with my amature build skills)
The attention to detail you showed me as you put this engine together was above most "PRO" engine builders I am so happy it worked out.

I know the intake on it is small yet so we have some HP left on the table.
Oh I bet cam is much different in this than what people would think.
Posted By: vc360

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 01:44 PM

Quote:

I will complete this post with pictures later, but to bring everyone up to date we finally made some passes. Most notable changes was Brett Miller's CNC intake ports and hand ported exhaust port, a new cam speced by Brett and a happy valvetrain. Again, I can't say enough about how much knowledge Brett has with the W8/W9 stuff. I know there was HP gained in a few other areas, but it was small compared to the heads and cam.

And, BTW this was crossing the scales at 2878# race weight. New best was this past Saturday with -495' DA mineshaft conditions. The even better news is that the Racepak data shows room for improvement.

The rest of the pictures, a few videos and time slips to follow.

I picked up over 100hp when we changed and looks like you have too Brian well done.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 02:26 PM

OUTSTANDING!!!!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 02:31 PM

wait till you get done tunin' on that puppy, sounds pretty impressive
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 02:36 PM

Quote:

(with my amature build skills)
The attention to detail you showed me as you put this engine together was above most "PRO" engine builders I am so happy it worked out.

You should see the car, very very nice . Congrats Brian, you've got it flyin for sure!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 03:34 PM

Who says they need 500" to go 8's? I'm sure it is easier to do with a bigger engine.

Anyone looking to make big power from a W8/W9 at a great price needs to look at Brett Millers CNC port. I would love to see what a big version of this port would do on a 440" w9 engine.

I have alot of areas that are untapped that are holding hp. Some will be cheap, some won't be cheap. Plus my car will loose another 70+ lbs this winter that I didn't get around to removing last year. It's going to get quicker!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 03:36 PM

I should also say that it likes all of the torque down low (especially with the 1.80 low in the glide). It went from a best of 1.28 to a new best of 1.21 (after a bar and shock adjustment).

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 03:47 PM

Time to update your sig
Posted By: racerbychoice

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 03:50 PM

Quote:

in my experiences most times stepping back and having confidence in your own abilities pays off and saves time, money and grief. when you're your own customer you can't lose. the guy from SDSS should call and offer a congrats; i'm 100% certain he's keeping a close eye on this thread too! people say he doesn't post/lurk on the board anymore, but we know he does it without signing in. maybe he should call YOU for advice! good work.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 03:51 PM

I need to start messing with Melvin now

You are heavier and smaller cubes and faster than him

Good job Brian and Brett
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 03:52 PM

WOW! that car is flying congrats

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 05:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

in my experiences most times stepping back and having confidence in your own abilities pays off and saves time, money and grief. when you're your own customer you can't lose. the guy from SDSS should call and offer a congrats; i'm 100% certain he's keeping a close eye on this thread too! people say he doesn't post/lurk on the board anymore, but we know he does it without signing in. maybe he should call YOU for advice! good work.

Not going to hold my breath and not going to give out free info. that an engine builder should already know.

I'm just glad it is preforming well (actually well above my expectations). I was just hoping to go 5.80 in the heat.....so 5.65 or so in mineshaft air would have done. I want to do some index racing next year. PRO 5.80 series participants get ready for a Mopar to do some damage.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

I need to start messing with Melvin now

You are heavier and smaller cubes and faster than him

Good job Brian and Brett

I would love to see Melvins heads get this treatment. I won't talk for Brett, but I am sure he could use the "bigger" version of this port like Brett is doing in the W9 thread.

I think Melvin and I are at about the same weight, but I am a little bit heavier for now.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 05:35 PM

Brian, I may have missed it in this post but did you dyno the engine?

from Wallace

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 875.50 flywheel HP and 787.95 rear wheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 917.21 flywheel HP and 825.49 rear wheel HP.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 06:06 PM

Quote:

from Wallace

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 875.50 flywheel HP and 787.95 rear wheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 917.21 flywheel HP and 825.49 rear wheel HP.

No engine Dyno this time either. I know the math is what it is, but I might tend to believe the 875 number based on et much more than the mph based number. I was just hoping it would make 830 or so.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 06:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

from Wallace

No engine Dyno this time either. I know the math is what it is, but I might tend to believe the 875 number based on et much more than the mph based number. I was just hoping it would make 830 or so.

on my challenger and most other cars I check, the numbers are usually very close. on my cuda they are not but I had the timing turned way down for the 91 gas out your way. Maybe you have a bunch of ET left you can find yet. your mph is crazy

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

from Wallace

on my challenger and most other cars I check, the numbers are usually very close. on my cuda they are not but I had the timing turned way down for the 91 gas out your way. Maybe you have a bunch of ET left you can find yet. your mph is crazy

I am believe the converter is not "perfect" as is and the fuel curve is not "perfect" yet, but pretty close. Still have some left in the suspension. Haven't really played with cam timing yet, haven't played with ignition timing yet. Wish I had a different set of headers to try out and the car isn't geared anywhere near where it should be for 1/8th mile. I figure it could easily use a 5.50 gear and it has 4.57.

I doubt that I optimize it completely as it is doing everything I want it to do now and I don't have to turn it real hard.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 07:47 PM

Nice job, Brain. I'm waiting on that call about the Racepak info.... hahaha

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 07:49 PM

Quote:

Nice job, Brain. I'm waiting on that call about the Racepak info.... hahaha

I might have it figured out.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/30/12 08:51 PM

Thats great Brian and Brett

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 12:04 AM

I've heard melvin been [Email]5.52@125[/Email] with a 1.19 60 foot
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 12:43 AM

Quote:

I am believe the converter is not "perfect" as is and the fuel curve is not "perfect" yet, but pretty close. Still have some left in the suspension. Haven't really played with cam timing yet, haven't played with ignition timing yet. Wish I had a different set of headers to try out and the car isn't geared anywhere near where it should be for 1/8th mile. I figure it could easily use a 5.50 gear and it has 4.57.

I doubt that I optimize it completely as it is doing everything I want it to do now and I don't have to turn it real hard.

What converter did you wind up with?? Sounds like you hit it right on..

Chris..

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 02:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What converter did you wind up with?? Sounds like you hit it right on..

Chris..

It is the same ATI 8" that was in it before. I think it could use just a little more stall. It goes 5800 and I would like to see it about 200 to 250 higher.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 02:55 AM

Quote:

Who says they need 500" to go 8's? I'm sure it is easier to do with a bigger engine.

Anyone looking to make big power from a W8/W9 at a great price needs to look at Brett Millers CNC port. I would love to see what a big version of this port would do on a 440" w9 engine.

I have alot of areas that are untapped that are holding hp. Some will be cheap, some won't be cheap. Plus my car will loose another 70+ lbs this winter that I didn't get around to removing last year. It's going to get quicker!

Brian you have know idea just how pumped you have me to get my Brett prepped W-8s on my 447cid and in my 2600# car and send it down the track.I so glad to see your running hard and well with your set up and no issues.Lets try and get both our SB car to the same event next year and do some BB hunting.Nice job to you both.

Attached picture 7441968-006.JPG

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 03:01 AM

Your car will definitely fly Jeff. It'll be interesting to see the difference of 30 cubes and that big 420 intake Brett did for you. Brian's car is damn impressive for 416 ci.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian you have know idea just how pumped you have me to get my Brett prepped W-8s on my 447cid and in my 2600# car and send it down the track.I so glad to see your running hard and well with your set up and no issues.Lets try and get both our SB car to the same event next year and do some BB hunting.Nice job to you both.

Your heads are like jewelery compared to mine. I didn't know they were going on that many cid. Your car will fly. I am thinking about trying a new intake and bigger carb next year. I plan to do some traveling next year up that way so we might just get them together for that hunt.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 03:52 AM

Quote:

Your car will definitely fly Jeff. It'll be interesting to see the difference of 30 cubes and that big 420 intake Brett did for you. Brian's car is damn impressive for 416 ci.

I did not do intake for Jeff's car it will be Vic Bloomer doing that and he is doing chamber and exhaust port finishing.

I did have my large CNC intake port put in the heads and Dennis at AFD did the valve job.(I think we did valve job when heads were hear) correct me if I am wrong on that Jeff

Thanks again Brett Miller. OH CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO RUN JEFF!!!!!!!!!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 12:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

from Wallace

We did extensive dyno testing on Precision Automotive's inertia dyno. Your engine is very similar to ours....and we saw 894hp @8200 with Coleman/Arrington 15* and a tick under 14-1 static. Since the enegine went in the car, we made a small change that should pick it up a few numbers.

As you chip away at the new combo, I have no doubt you'll see that ET shrink.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 01:42 PM

My HP guesstimate for Brian's engine would be about 800HP 640TQ on the dyno I use.

One other note is the engine is lower in CR by 1 point or more I would guess as the valves had to get sunk .040" to get a valve job on them.... plus massive chamber rework after sinking valves that much.(I did not cc before the valve job) so did not bother rechecking after work as it was going to be what ever we had....

On side note any one want to guess the cam specs???

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

from Wallace

We did extensive dyno testing on Precision Automotive's inertia dyno. Your engine is very similar to ours....and we saw 894hp @8200 with Coleman/Arrington 15* and a tick under 14-1 static. Since the enegine went in the car, we made a small change that should pick it up a few numbers.

As you chip away at the new combo, I have no doubt you'll see that ET shrink.

I can't wait to see yours run Jim. I know you guys wore it out on the dyno finding power. I don't know why people think these are exotic engines...all the pieces are available to build a brand new healthy W9 engine. I would have liked to have Brett do a new pair of W9's for me. Probably a bit better performance and less compromises than we had to make on my heads and lose a few more lbs to boot.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 02:12 PM

Good stuff......but nobody ever has it all the way figured out

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 02:19 PM

Well exotic to some! Gotta remember pinon snubbers and purple 509 cams are still out there. Lol

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 02:36 PM

I hear there are some ducks with big blocks in Ohio just waiting for you, great job Brian, Dad is proud of you! Jeff pm me your address, I promised you something and I would like to keep my word!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 02:37 PM

1.21 60 ft...you guys must know something I dont
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 03:53 PM

I couldn't hazard a guess. But I sure would like to know. My future plans are to build one of these engines with a 4" stroke. Would be nice to now what is working for others.
Posted By: FASTFISH420

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 03:55 PM

Great job guys

I think its making more than you think at that mph.that car must be working great and 60 in the low 20's..wow thats great..with the converter stalling low 5300 with a 4.57 gear?it must have a dinky camshaft in it.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 04:23 PM

Quote:

Great job guys

I think its making more than you think at that mph.that car must be working great and 60 in the low 20's..wow thats great..with the converter stalling low 5300 with a 4.57 gear?it must have a dinky camshaft in it.

Chris, your thinking on the cam is on the right track. Converter actually goes 5800 though.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 10/31/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did not do intake for Jeff's car it will be Vic Bloomer doing that and he is doing chamber and exhaust port finishing.

I did have my large CNC intake port put in the heads and Dennis at AFD did the valve job.(I think we did valve job when heads were hear) correct me if I am wrong on that Jeff

My fault Brett, i thought the "big boy 420" intake you did was for Jeff's motor.

I'm gonna take a guess that the cam is in the mid 260's @ .050

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 01:54 AM

On side note any one want to guess the cam specs???

It's a 3/4 Race cam not a Full race cam!!!

Attached picture 7443528-downsized_0707121753.jpg

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct Brett.And yes you did the Valve job while you had the heads.Vic Bloomer is doing the rest of the build for me in trade for some chassis work We did on his car a cpl of years ago.This will be the first engine I have not done of my own but Vic is way sharper than I in that area.Bretts phone will be ringing more than just a few times befor this project is done. We are hoping when this thing is done I will have a good reason to buy sone 10.5 tires.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My fault Brett, i thought the "big boy 420" intake you did was for Jeff's motor.

I'm gonna take a guess that the cam is in the mid 260's @ .050

That's a good guess.

I still have this Chapman ported 598 intake that was butchered to accept a dominator. I might have to "fix" this for next year.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 03:28 PM

Brian
What would that equate to in the 1/4, 8.50 ish?

Mighty impressive.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 05:08 PM

Quote:

Brian

Mighty impressive.

I'm guessing about an 8.70 ?

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 05:08 PM

5.50x1.57=8.63

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 09:18 PM

I went 8.69 with a 5.57 and a 1.29 60 ft,
and that is after years of trying, you make it look easy

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/01/12 09:24 PM

Standard formula is:

1/8th mile ET x 1.57 = 1/4 mile ET

5.5*1.57 = 8.635

Maybe a little closer to Brian's guess depending on how the car runs in high gear, it really 60's well

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 12:36 AM

Put a 1250 dominator let the puppy eat.a little more desert!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 02:30 AM

Quote:

Put a 1250 dominator let the puppy eat.a little more desert!

Funny thing is that Brett has already suggested that. I would like to make a change to the intake and carb over the winter.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 12:58 PM

What size carb do you have now? If pro systems build a carb it mostly likely would be a 1100

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 01:24 PM

Quote:

What size carb do you have now? If pro systems build a carb it mostly likely would be a 1100

1050 Quickfuel Dominator, same one my dad ran on his 540 8 years ago.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I know this has nothing to do with accelerating a car, but we dynoed a 1.590 x 1.750 4150 on a 420 with a 2in spacer. Then we sent the 420 to Gabby who opened it up to dominator flange and we tried a 110mm blade SV-1 w/spacer.

We saw a 33hp increase. Obviously this huge increase was over a large 4150 and not a purpose built dominator.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To bad you werent closer I would let you borrow mine its a 2.20 bore Dale Cubic Q16 carb.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 05:06 PM

We did a back to back dyno with the quickfuel and pro systems carb and the pro systems was 10 or 15 hp better. We changed the jets on the pro systems and lose power. It had 90 jets from and back

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To bad you werent closer I would let you borrow mine its a 2.20 bore Dale Cubic Q16 carb.

I am looking at a Dale Cubic 1250, but will not go to Q16. Trying to keep it simple with C14.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 06:03 PM

You wont go wrong with Dale.He even came to our dyno session and did his fine tuning.Great guy to work with

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/02/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

You wont go wrong with Dale.He even came to our dyno session and did his fine tuning.Great guy to work with

I have never heard a bad word about him or his products.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/03/12 01:31 PM

I bought a 1150 CFM carb for my set up. We played with it on another engine and without touching it it made 27 more Hp than any other thing we bolted on. Dale really knows his stuff for sure.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/03/12 02:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am looking at a Dale Cubic 1250, but will not go to Q16. Trying to keep it simple with C14.

Have you tried C-25???

i know it's pricey but it was worth about 12 numbers over C-14 in ours.......especially upstairs.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/04/12 05:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have you tried C-25???

i know it's pricey but it was worth about 12 numbers over C-14 in ours.......especially upstairs.

I remember you having success with C-25, but I have never tried it due to it's expense. It is pretty $$.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/04/12 06:08 AM

It is expensive, but it was the the best of the fuels we tried.

Although I drive around with C-12, we'll be sticking with C-25 when I get it to ATCO, one of these days.

Q-16 would have been nice to try if I had a carb for it.
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/05/12 12:34 AM

I'd love to hear them cam spec's...

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/05/12 04:44 AM

Two beautiful weekend days and 1 1/2 hours of rain Saturday evening to stop any chance of racing. The timing of the weather just sucks sometimes.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/05/12 06:40 AM

What's the chassis setup under the car? SS car or whats going on under their? If you don't mind my asking.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/05/12 02:24 PM

Quote:

What's the chassis setup under the car? SS car or whats going on under their? If you don't mind my asking.

Round tube Moly frame inside of original frame, 4-link/coil over/wishbone rear, strut front. Full factory floor intact, 25.5 chassis cert. all moly.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/05/12 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Round tube Moly frame inside of original frame, 4-link/coil over/wishbone rear, strut front. Full factory floor intact, 25.5 chassis cert. all moly.

Last time I had seen the car it was absolutly squeeky clean too.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/05/12 07:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I think I might end up there some day. Who knows, I'd like to do another car since this is the first car I ever owned. Guys like you give me something to work for lol

Attached picture 7449649-normal_grudge_6-13-12_wed_057_copy.jpg

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/05/12 07:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I think I might end up there some day. Who knows, I'd like to do another car since this is the first car I ever owned. Guys like you give me something to work for lol

I look at it this way, I'm half way thru a 20 year build.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 03:54 AM

This topic got my blood boiling. Lol

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 02:47 PM

Anyone interested in the rest of the build pictures? I stopped posting them to get results up, but I will continue if there is interest.

Still lots of little things to look out for that I haven't pointed out to this point.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 04:05 PM

Quote:

Anyone interested in the rest of the build pictures? I stopped posting them to get results up, but I will continue if there is interest.

Still lots of little things to look out for that I haven't pointed out to this point.

Are ya kidding???

BUT OF COURSE!!!!!
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 04:10 PM

Brian,

I have been following this post and I must say I am impressed with the performance of your car. I only hope ours runs as good when we finally get it back together.

Mike Gray

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 04:36 PM

I would like to see a graph from your racepak...still have a hard time understanding that 1.21

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 04:41 PM

Quote:

Absolutely!!!!! Can't wait to finish my W motor
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 04:51 PM

Quote:

AAAAHHHHHH Yeah...

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 05:43 PM

Where are the pics........

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/09/12 06:00 PM

Pics Please

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/10/12 04:22 AM

Quote:

I would like to see a graph from your racepak...still have a hard time understanding that 1.21

This information cannot leave the country!!!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/10/12 08:43 AM

wonder if I could rent one of those russian spy satellites...

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 03:43 PM

Saturday night, decent track prep for a "grudge" event. 1.21 60', 5.51 @ 124 1/8th, 8.73 @ 155 1/4!! DA was "only" in the 1600' range so it was far from mineshaft air. Who needs a big 572 to get it done? Making lots of torque...wheels up 6-8" to about the 45-50' mark set down so easy that you could not tell it was up.

I will upload some pictures to keep this thread moving along. Will pick up where I left off.

There will be no pictures posted of the car with the primered hood and scoop. I will paint those in the next couple of months so it looks good for the upcoming race season.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 04:12 PM

Quote:

Saturday night, decent track prep for a "grudge" event. 1.21 60', 5.51 @ 124 1/8th, 8.73 @ 155 1/4!! DA was "only" in the 1600' range so it was far from mineshaft air. Who needs a big 572 to get it done? Making lots of torque...wheels up 6-8" to about the 45-50' mark set down so easy that you could not tell it was up.

I will upload some pictures to keep this thread moving along. Will pick up where I left off.

There will be no pictures posted of the car with the primered hood and scoop. I will paint those in the next couple of months so it looks good for the upcoming race season.

Nice.....

Next stop........8.60s.

Just beware of Soviet satellites with Finnish fingerprints.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

Awesome. Even cooler that it was done at a grudge event

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It will be my last one also. I don't like having to lock my stuff up to go up for a pass. To many people in my pit space "eyeballing" my stuff. Think I'm going to have a holster sewn into my fire suit for my Sig.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 04:54 PM

1/4 MPH was about 2mph faster than I was expecting. Don't flame me as I rounded up on the 154.78. It really trucks on the big end.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Amazing watching some of these "grudge" cars run 4.4 1/8th mile times with safety equipment that is inadequate for 10 second and slower cars.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 05:03 PM

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 05:51 PM

Got to love Houston Motorsports Park Although I will say I had the same experience and feeleing at Houston Raceway Park as well. We used to go test the turbo car there. Sounds like the car is running great!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Got to love Houston Motorsports Park Although I will say I had the same experience and feeleing at Houston Raceway Park as well. We used to go test the turbo car there. Sounds like the car is running great!

I am very happy with it now. Probably exceeding what it should do.

This was not in Houston though...these events are making their way to Dallas. This is the second big grudge event they have had in the last three weeks. I'm hoping it's not a trend.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 06:20 PM

1.21 60', 5.51 @ 124 1/8th, 8.73 @ 155 1/4!!

outstanding

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am very happy with it now. Probably exceeding what it should do.

This was not in Houston though...these events are making their way to Dallas. This is the second big grudge event they have had in the last three weeks. I'm hoping it's not a trend.

Good luck. It seems to be getting more popular than ever. I hate the crying that goes with it but I have fun grudge racing. I'm not far from Chicagoland. Checkout Chitown KOTS sometime lol gets a little out of hand but very fun.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 09:05 PM

Quote:

outstanding

Holy resurrection!!! That's haulin!!!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/12/12 11:50 PM

Grudge racing is fun sometimes a pain in the butt to
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/13/12 01:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

outstanding

Holy resurrection!!! That's haulin!!!

x 2! Nice job!

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/14/12 01:56 PM

Got any vids???

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/14/12 03:39 PM

Quote:

Got any vids???

I have one night time in car video. Nobody went with me to video from the outside. Im not putting pictures on the net of my car with the black gel coat hood and grey hood scoop anyway. I am getting ready to paint those parts to match the car and then I will take pics & video again. I just don't want a bunch of pictures floating around of it looking like a giant turd.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/14/12 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Got any vids???

I have one night time in car video. Nobody went with me to video from the outside. Im not putting pictures on the net of my car with the black gel coat hood and grey hood scoop anyway. I am getting ready to paint those parts to match the car and then I will take pics & video again. I just don't want a bunch of pictures floating around of it looking like a giant turd.

Ok.....as soon as it's beautiful again.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/14/12 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Got any vids???

No that would be my car.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/14/12 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Got any vids???

I feel so insulted for some reason

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 11/14/12 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Got any vids???

I feel so insulted for some reason

At least yours is one color.

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 02/10/13 01:27 AM

Going to try to resume this thread with adding some mock up pictures. Here is another pic with the new motor plate that I made for use with the Belt Drive. It is a bent style that places the mounting ears in the same location as if there was a big block in the car (just in case I get the bug).
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 02/10/13 01:54 AM

oh sooooo nice

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 02/10/13 02:05 AM

Me Likey!

And its a going in a '67
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 02/10/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

Going to try to resume this thread with adding some mock up pictures. Here is another pic with the new motor plate that I made for use with the Belt Drive. It is a bent style that places the mounting ears in the same location as if there was a big block in the car (just in case I get the bug).

Lots of room in that garage..

Nice..

Chris..
Posted By: mokid

Re: Reserection of my old W8 Bullet - 02/10/13 07:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

Mighty impressive.

I'm guessing about an 8.70 ?

Our motor Dynoed at 800 HP on 2 differant machines, our best time was 9.03 at 149 MPH 1.24 60ft this is with a 6500 stall coan and PTC, 5.13 gear on a T brake, 1250 Jim Evans Dominator on Q16. If you go by MPH 149 car should E,T in the high 8.80s 90s but never could get it there, Our current build is addressing many issues from 1st build as Brett could attest to. Heads are W8 Arrington 13 degree, could use some love but who knows. We are going to get new motor running shortly so we'll see if changes made will result in more HP.
© 2024 Moparts Forums