Moparts

is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI

Posted By: domingo

is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 04:40 AM

Hi!

I have a HEMI that was completely rebuilt but that was a few years ago....like 4....and its been sitting since...

I have turned it by hand every now and then, but probably not as often as I should have....

Its got a solid roller cam (mild under 600 lift).

I am worried that the springs might have gone bad, so I want to take em off to test them....but for doing that I need to take off the heads...

I was wondering if I take off the heads to inspect,,,,will I be able to reuse those head gaskets???

The engine has never been fired, but the heads were torqued to spec....

I dont know if it makes any difference, but its got head studs.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 05:53 AM

Quote:

Hi!

I have a HEMI that was completely rebuilt but that was a few years ago....like 4....and its been sitting since...

I have turned it by hand every now and then, but probably not as often as I should have....

I am worried that the springs might have gone bad, so I want to take em off to test them....but for doing that I need to take off the heads...

I was wondering if I take off the heads to inspect,,,,will I be able to reuse those head gaskets???

I think you are worrying too much...I bet it would be 100% fine..

If you want to put your mind at rest, air up a few cylinders and pull a few springs and check them out. There are tools designed to remove hemi valve springs without unloading the head studs. I wouldn't take the heads off. That's just me.

Was thins motor sealed up good? Id be more concerned with a mouse making a nest in there if the motor wasnt sealed off well.

MB

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 03:27 PM

Yes, it was sealed up good. With duct tape on the ports....and with plugs installed. INtake also taped.

I dont have the tool to remove the springs without taking the heads out....

So, will the head gasket be unseable if I take a head off???? Like I said, the engine has never been fired.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 04:00 PM

What kind of head gaskets?
Has it ever been started and been warmed up?
IF you have never started it and the springs have never been heat cycled, then I would not worry about them.

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 04:22 PM

ENGINE HAS NEVER EVER BEEN STARTED. But its been sitting close to 4 years, I have turned it by hand every now and then.....but probably not as often as I should have....

Lifters are crowers solid rollers. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-66232-16/

Springs are PSI 1240. THEY ARE BRAND NEW, NEVER BEEN HEAT CYCLED- http://www.cvproducts.com/ProdDet.aspx?PN=PSICT1240

Dual Spring

O.D. 1.500 Seat Pressure-250@2.030"

Outside Spring I.D. 1.085 Open Pressure-610@1.250"

I.D. .795 Max Lift .780 Coil Bind 1.200

The cam is a mild steer solid roller off Dave Dudeks Old Challenger when it ran low 11s at 127 mph.

COMP solid roller
Intake- 248@.050& .604lift
>Exhaust- 254@.050 & .591lift
>Lobe sep is 114
>lobe #`s: 4875B/4876B sn#-A6105

Head gaskets are composite, not steel.

Domingo
Posted By: ChristianCuda

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 04:28 PM

Composite gaskets usually will leave some material on the head or deck surface due to compression from the heads being torqued on. If it were the steel gaskets then I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 06:10 PM

You worry too much. Run the doggone engine. Or if it is going to sit for longer, pull the rocker assemblies. But for a decent spring sitting for a decade shouldn't make a difference. No fatigue cycles.

R.
Posted By: mickm

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 08:40 PM

i asked the guy at cometic and he said that if the engine hasn't been started, you are fine to reuse them. i would assume that goes for any head gasket.

i have seen threads on here where people are talking about reusing gaskets that have been run, and many people have said that works as well.

sounds like you are good to go
Posted By: 73outlaw

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/14/12 10:48 PM

I would only reuse a mls or copper gasket and I would NOT reuse a composite head gasket EVER.

Attached picture 7335317-EP07-0105.jpg
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/15/12 02:40 AM

Why chance it? I'd back off the rockers until you're ready to use it.

Sheldon
Posted By: robnbird

Re: is it OK to reuse head gasket? HEMI - 08/15/12 03:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi!

I think you are worrying too much...I bet it would be 100% fine..

If you want to put your mind at rest, air up a few cylinders and pull a few springs and check them out. There are tools designed to remove hemi valve springs without unloading the head studs. I wouldn't take the heads off. That's just me. you can change the spring w/o removing the heads.

Was thins motor sealed up good? Id be more concerned with a mouse making a nest in there if the motor wasnt sealed off well.

MB

Attached picture 7335671-hemiin0708-12.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums