Moparts

s/s hemi car cost to build?

Posted By: cold85

s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 04:15 PM

Just wondering how much the heads up class hemi cars cost to build? I searched could not find sorry
Posted By: HPMike

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 04:26 PM

I dont know the exact answer, but I bet it varies dramatically depending on whether you just want to field an entry or actually run with the heavies.

MB
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 04:32 PM

If you're talking about a '68 Hemi Dart/Barracuda, I bet you're looking at $75,000 to buy a competitive engine.

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 04:36 PM

just ruffly I need for a post on YB
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 05:02 PM

With 65-85 thousand for just a motor 7 for a trans,1000. for a converter,50 for a good chassis and brakes,wheels tires gear, guages, data system,paint,cost of car etc,etc 150-200.
Posted By: ROSSIO

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 05:03 PM

if you start from nothing.
$250,000.00 WILL GET YOU GOING,car-motor-drivetrain.
others have already asked this question---and from SS racers--that is their reply

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 05:07 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

if you start from nothing.
$250,000.00 WILL GET YOU GOING,car-motor-drivetrain.
others have already asked this question---and from SS racers--that is their reply

That is the same ballpark I would have guessed....now to be competitive, I'm sure would take alot more time/experimentation or $$ to buy the knowledge.
Posted By: DCM71cuda

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 07:33 PM

If you have to ask, you can't afford it..
Posted By: joshking440

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 07:41 PM

about the same as building a prostock car

250-325
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 08:00 PM

Buy a done car...alot of parked cars with people that want out.
Posted By: mbogina

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 11:08 PM

You can be very competitve for less than some of numbers thrown out here, what cost some racers 300K to accomplish, others can do the same for less than half, sometimes waaaay less than half. Some racers will spend 7 figures per year on their racing operation, others less than 2 cents for their dollar. It is all about the challenge and the desire, $$$ won't guarantee success, but can certainly shorten the timeline.
Posted By: bentwheel43

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/07/12 11:25 PM

A few years back Bob Reed and sox did one for $50,000 they said it was.It was a fine 68'Cuda with the boss on the front.

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 12:40 PM

now a days-with intake technolgy and eng tech.--it can get expensive if you want to run 8's with these SS/AH.i know of a few guys running and have just got into the 8s but run 9.0s and cant or dont want to spend the $$$ to run 8.60s or faster--it would be $30,000.plus to do so----is what i'm told by these guys.
just my because i know a few guys with SS/AH cars
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 12:47 PM

I'm fairly sure Mike Roth can give you a really close answer.

Josh probably hit it right on.

Chris..
Posted By: fishy340

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 01:56 PM

someone has to explain 230.000 to 250.000 for me,even if u spent 65 g's on a motor and 7 or even 10 grand for a pro flite,,,where the heak do u get a 150.000 more from????????? i know barton gets between 15.000 to 18.000 just to do over the stock heads!
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 02:50 PM

Throwing huge dollars at a car dosn't guarantee it will be competitive.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 03:45 PM

I would say 150 and some good old fashioned brain power could build a fairly decent, mid pack, car. Starting from scratch of course.
Posted By: Frito

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 04:26 PM

NOPE! The mid pack cars still have to have $60,000 power. A bottom of the pack car less than 150 total would be a strech. Look at the Indy entry list and tell me anyone running 8.60s has less than 150 in their car.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 04:50 PM

Depending on how you look at it, you only need to go 9.20's in the heat to be competitive from a bracket race stand point. You're never going to win a heads up against another Hemi car, but how often do multiple of them show up at the same points meet anyways and get each other on the ladder?

60K engine
60K Chassis
10K trans/converter

Those are the big expenses, although i'm sure there are tons of smaller expenses like usual.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 05:02 PM

$75K to have something competitive if you're doing the work yourself

Best bet would be to pick up a done rolling chassis that one of the top teams has moved on from, then do your own drivetrain

A good friend campaigns a '68 Barracuda (runs in the 8s) and it was an exponential increase in $$$ and tweaks to get down from the 9.10 range safely

Ie one is not usually running leaf springs by that time
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 05:03 PM

I still say 150 will build a mid pack car given the right people are at work on it.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 05:03 PM

From what I've seen & read, a quarter mil wil get you started. What you really need after that is the expertise & creativity to remain competitive & constantly update your stuff. What this means is a machine shop(s) to keep you at least 2 steps ahead of your competition which ,again, means money & comittment.
right now a S/S hemi is right at about 2hp/cu. in. & is good for maybe 12-15 passes. At about 50-65k per engine you can see the expense in engines alone would drive ya nuts. Still, would I do it? HELL YA! Can I afford it? HELL NO!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 05:08 PM

Quote:

You can be very competitve for less than some of numbers thrown out here, what cost some racers 300K to accomplish, others can do the same for less than half, sometimes waaaay less than half. Some racers will spend 7 figures per year on their racing operation, others less than 2 cents for their dollar. It is all about the challenge and the desire, $$$ won't guarantee success, but can certainly shorten the timeline.

I've help several NHRA racers build cars that set NHRA Stock and SS records. Time, money,knowing which parts to buy and use, and the effort to excell all play in acheiving any goal in life, sometimes luck even comes into play As far as how much money, it is directly related to how much you can do your self and your standards of exceptance and acheivement.
Posted By: Frito

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 05:38 PM

"Depending on how you look at it, you only need to go 9.20's in the heat to be competitive from a bracket race"

Triple Threat. 9.20 will not qualify at most NHRA races and for sure will not make the SS field at Indy this year.If you can't make the show it doesen't matter what you run. 9.20 is a bottom of the pack number and I know some great bracket racers that run 10s so I don't get where 9.20 makes a good bracket car. And if you look the OP stated a "heads Up Hemi car", I don't take heads up as bracket racing. Stop In at Indy on Friday in a couple of weeks an see for yourself. And who said this board was getting boring. Now where is Hemi Fred? HAHA
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 05:49 PM

Quote:

"Depending on how you look at it, you only need to go 9.20's in the heat to be competitive from a bracket race"

Triple Threat. 9.20 will not qualify at most NHRA races and for sure will not make the SS field at Indy this year.If you can't make the show it doesen't matter what you run. 9.20 is a bottom of the pack number and I know some great bracket racers that run 10s so I don't get where 9.20 makes a good bracket car.

We're getting off topic a bit, but aside from Indy and a few other big events most NHRA races lately don't even have a full field, so if you can cover the index, you can qualify. There were only 20 Super Stock cars at the Seattle national this weekend, and 2 of them were legal stockers who jumped over, including the eventual winner Joe Sorenson.

My point was there aren't many SS/AH cars around, so your chances of a heads up race are small. The actual ET the car runs is not of concern, Just a number on the window. You can win super stock in a 11-12 second car or an 8 second car.

I believe the OP, given he is a heads up racer, was more interested in what it costs to run with the big boys aka 8.50's or better.
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 07:58 PM

The other thing working against you is that the Super Stock Hemi market is small and highly specialized meaning that there are only maybe 4 or 5 builders that know how to make tier 1 horsepower. They essentially set the market value price and if they are going fast, people want there stuff. I would imagine if you had some know how and access to a machine shop, you could make it go fast for less. But you would need to know how to grind and design your own cams, intakes, and port your own heads. Valvetrain is key as well. If you can get the motor to live, you have found a way to reduce the cost substantially. I've heard that dropped valves have been the most significant issues. I do think that there is more to ET gains to be found in the chassis, driveline, and suspension but that is where testing becomes necessary and most couldn't afford it. I told my dad, the best thing you could do is test with another motor that has similar HP and Torque, but will live for 80 runs or so. You could get the car very close then make small adjustment from there. It wouldn't be perfect but its more knowledge to know what chassis, suspension, driveline combos work best.

PS: I think we also need to separate the cost of building a competitive car vs. the cost of building a competitive car and maintaining the cost related to keeping it there? Of course engine maintenance and keeping up with updates is going to incur more costs as well as engine development as a whole.

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 08:30 PM

Just wondering how much the heads up class hemi cars cost to build?

AS ALWAYS--i think this thread got out of hand A LITTLE .
i feel cold85 was just wanting a close price and we gave it to him,i respect all the other responces and i hope cold85 has what he is looking for
Posted By: Stanton

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 09:10 PM

To accurately answer the question ... find a competitive car that's for sale. Multiply the asking price by 2 and you'll be in the ballpark of what it cost to build.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 10:30 PM

As a follow-up, I was at my friend's shop this aft and asked him directly:

If one is building a chassis from the ground up (start with a clean body, but have the right shop build a certified platform) and buy enough of the right stuff new to be competitive, then $140-$150K is the entry point

Building your own motor helps, as does buying someone's used rolling chassis to at least get in the game
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/08/12 10:36 PM

Quote:

To accurately answer the question ... find a competitive car that's for sale. Multiply the asking price by 2 and you'll be in the ballpark of what it cost to build.

Pretty close just ask Randy Worford. He has his for sale is down to 75,000. I know he had more than 150 into it.
Posted By: Spyphish

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 02:51 AM

A bucking funch of money$$$$

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 02:56 AM

ive talked to some guys who have competitive cars......you will build 3 motors blow up 5 trannys countless tires before the car ever works right....
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 11:56 AM

What are the guys getting out of a set of bearings now? 8-10 passes before you need to inspect them? With the extreme rpms they run maintenance costs would be through the roof! I guess if you have the $$ for the initial investment the cost to maintain isn't much. Awesome cars but cubic dollars involved for sure!

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 12:17 PM

Quote:

So..... How many of these $$$$$

does RM charge..

Chris..

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 02:21 PM

My question was answered thanks but just wondering what are the basic rules I searched but looks like i have to download it to get them from NHRA
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 03:08 PM

Quote:

My question was answered thanks but just wondering what are the basic rules I searched but looks like i have to download it to get them from NHRA

The car weight is set per Nhra's stock car classification guide. Minimum weight now is 3190 if I calculated correctly(3020+170).

OEM Block, Heads(porting and epoxy allowed), Oiling system(no dry sump),

Bore: 4.25 +-0.07
Stroke: 3.75 +-0.01
Rod length: 6.861, must be within 2% of a certain weight and on the accepted manufacturers list.
13.5:1 Compression, 79.5cc chamber, 2x4 Holley 660(I think), 2.25x1.94 5/16 Intake and Exhaust valves.
Intake Runner CC: 189cc
Exhaust Runner CC: 107cc

32x14 slick, race ready car with OEM street equipment and upholstery. 4 links allowed, 48inch max wheelie bar, original seat location, most of stock flooring must be kept, most of the OEM front suspension must be kept(lighter parts are allowed), and boom you have SS/AH hemi car.

Just trying to summarize as best I could. Any of the Super Stock guys in here can correct my mistakes.
Posted By: Spyphish

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 11:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

does RM charge..

Chris..

Just being flip on the money. I could not be happier with the R&M guys. Not worried about their Hemi car pulling up to race me and I am the club. We will know how we are doing soon. Stephen

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

does RM charge..

Chris..

Just being flip on the money. I could not be happier with the R&M guys. Not worried about their Hemi car pulling up to race me and I am the club. We will know how we are doing soon. Stephen

I think it's great to see builders like R&M and Pettis doing Mopar stuff and making huge HP..

Can't be a bad thing..

Chris..

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/09/12 11:38 PM

You can use an aftermarket block as long as its approved and is cast iron...
Koleno, Mega Block, and others
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/10/12 12:39 AM

505*6.0= 3030+170 = 3200lbs

4.250 +.075
3.750 +.015

167.7 chamber

2 holley 780 carbs

14.5 x 33 tire is biggest

just about all oem front suspension must be kept,, you cannot use lighter parts

you cannot use a koleno block,,, must be a mopar part
Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/10/12 03:11 AM

Josh....get back to your water jet duties!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: fig426

Re: s/s hemi car cost to build? - 08/11/12 08:04 AM

And this is why I run Pro with my '70 hemi Challenger that used to be a SS/DA car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums