Moparts

Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads

Posted By: GTX MATT

Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/23/12 11:52 PM

Anyone running cometic gaskets with aluminum heads, namely Stealths? Hows it working and whats your compression ratio?
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 12:07 AM

I ran them with a 14.1-1 small block with aluminum heads with 0 issues
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 12:30 AM

I ran them on my 451. Stock block with B1-BS heads and 12.7:1 compression. Had the heads off multiple times and kept reusing the gaskets. Clean them and coat with copper spray. Never an issue. I'm also using them on my new motor. 540 Mega Block with Ind heads and 13.9:1 compression.

Randy
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 12:40 AM

MLS head gaskets are used on just about every new car made anymore. They are the best!
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 12:53 AM

I'm using the .027 gaskets on mine with Stealth heads. So far ok except one seems to be seeping oil from the driver's side rear. I never heard of that before, but apparently it's not that uncommon. They said to re-torque the head to see if it stops. I haven't done it yet.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 01:34 AM

Quote:

MLS head gaskets are used on just about every new car made anymore. They are the best!

This is true, but almost every new car made now also uses torque to yield head bolts.
Posted By: BIGSTROKER

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 01:53 AM

did u spray the gasket with copper coat,high tack
or anything?
Posted By: racerx

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 02:08 AM

stockblock....-1's....not a problem with 13.1
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 02:33 AM

Just like the rest, I run Cometics with Stealth heads and a stock block, 440 with 13.6:1 compression. Reused the gaskets 4 or 5 times so far, no problems. Just clean them and spray with copper spray coating.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 02:42 AM

I run 40" Cometics with Aluminum block and 440-1 heads 13 to one comp two seasons no trouble the best head Gaskets i have run
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 03:59 AM

I run them with more compression than you would believe and 24lbs of boost.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 06:38 AM

Alright sounds good to me! Are you guys using copper spray on the first use of them as well? I probably will, I love that stuff!
Posted By: Maximus_Wedges

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 12:09 PM

I put mine in dry new. Spray copper coat on the second and 3rd go round then toss. The viton seems about used up at this point. I've only used them to 14.25 to 1. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 01:44 PM

Cometic's or Cooper with o-ringed head gaskets...which are best?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 06:43 PM

Quote:

Cometic's or Cooper with o-ringed head gaskets...which are best?

Copper head gaskets have thier application, what do you want to use them on? Trying not to hijack this, I have used the Cometic on several applications, reused them also with no spray ever The Nitrile coating will come loose after several applications of reusing them, not sure that the copper spray will replace that
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 07:32 PM

I just talked this over with my local machine shop yesterday.

He actually prefers Fel-Pro MLS over Cometics. I didn't even know Fel-Pro made MLS Gaskets? none of his Fel-Pro MLS engines have.

He said he has had a few engines come in with Cometics blown and engine damage. But none of his FelPro MLS engines have had a problem yet. He builds a LOT of roundy-round and drag-race engines.

I mentioned the SCE Copper gaskets; He said they are good BUT you have to have the Receiver Grooves for the O-rings which is another step and head ache not needed with MLS.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cometic Head Gaskets - Aluminum Heads - 07/24/12 09:12 PM

I've used several different brands and styles of copper head gaskets on blown street hemi motors. I have also use the SCE brand Titan copper head gaskets on wedges and hemi with no reciever groove with no problems at all on both bracket race motors and street only Hi Po motors The Titan sereis have a stainles steel O ring embedded in the copper and all the water and oil pasages are seal on both sides with embossed Teflon O rings On a new motor I wuld probally use the MLS gaskets and make sure the machine shop gets the proper RA finish done on both the heads and the block
© 2024 Moparts Forums