Moparts

Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel

Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 08:03 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2rnGg6Tnfg&feature=youtube_gdata

Notice how the tire is separating from the inner side of the rim lip during the burnout and the pass with video on the wheel. Another reason why I like beadlocked wheels on a fast car. These wheels have a ton of rim screws, but that's kinda scary. Wide wheel with little tire;commonly used.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 10:37 AM

That is kinda scary! I think that realistically, that car needs bead locks, I don't think I have ever seen a rear wheel with that many rim screws!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 10:49 AM

Another DR guy that would have been DQ'd at our track before he staged....Can't go past the line doing a burnout with a door car.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 02:11 PM

I'm wondering if its just a radial thing... but you
could see that it pulled in to the screws(and he sure
has enough of them... if I had to put that many in I
would have gone to bead locks)
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 02:18 PM

I've seen video of Pro Stock cars from years ago that would seperate the tire from the wheel.

Wes, do you know what tire/wheel combination he's running? looks like a 275 on a 12" wheel. Whatever it is the tire looks really small for the wheel.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 02:37 PM

He is running a slick. It is not a drag radial.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 02:39 PM

Quote:

Another DR guy that would have been DQ'd at our track before he staged....Can't go past the line doing a burnout with a door car.

So a outlaw 10.5 car can't go past the starting line on the burnout at your track? Wow I guess you don't run any of them there.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 02:54 PM

the wheel is to wide for the tire...

the tread should be equal or a bit wider that the rim width...tires grow with speed and having tall series sidewalls...there's a reason for bead locks

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So a outlaw 10.5 car can't go past the starting line on the burnout at your track? Wow I guess you don't run any of them there.

We get a couple of them now and again...Can't say I have seen a whole class of them run. Still not allowed to go past the beams...DQ'd!
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 05:49 PM

For the record; Charlie doesnt run a radial tire, he runs a 28x10.5 stiff side wall slick. He's has many championships with NMCA and NMRA Hotstreet and Pro Stock under his belt with that stang!
Charlie is a good guy!
And by the way, that car now sports a Pro flight trans.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 06:17 PM

I wouldnt call that a separation, it just grew and when a tire grown it narrows lifting the sidwall off the bead edge. If there was an issue with that ET and power level it would have showed its ugly face by now.

Rim could be a tad wide for the tire, but I dont see a huge deal there, kinda neat accually.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 07:20 PM

Quote:

Charlie is a good guy!
And by the way, that car now sports a Pro flight trans.

Who's making those? And what is it exactly?

I see Transact has a set of straight cut gears comming out and a conversion to convert a 727 into a two speed trans with different 1st gear ratios available soon according to their website.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 08:43 PM

Quote:

the tread should be equal or a bit wider that the rim width...tires grow with speed and having tall series sidewalls...there's a reason for bead locks

Yep!!

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/23/12 09:57 PM

Yeah I know its Charlie's car and what he's done with it. Reason there hasn't been a mishap is because of the amount of screws he runs and the fact that he changes tires like we do underwear. To the average guy who runs pass after pass using up the tire as much as possible, this could be dangerous on a fast car. Its the reason why I posted it.

Its most likely a 12" or 13" wheel with a 28 x 10.5 sitting on it. Thats what most of the NMRA Hot Street and SuperStreet Outlaw boys run on.

Glidden use to run a ton of screws on his wheels a while ago UNTIL a tire came off in testing on the old black car (tire separated itself from the wheel and screws). But that car was always UP N GONE in the 60' like a Pro Stock car.....lol. Beadlocks from then on......
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 12:51 AM

Yeah, I think if I saw that on my car there would be beadlocks on it the next time out.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 01:44 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I think if I saw that on my car there would be beadlocks on it the next time out.

How about just getting the right size wheels for the tires. There is an accident waiting to happen - not to mention not getting good use of the tire foot print.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 01:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How about just getting the right size wheels for the tires. There is an accident waiting to happen - not to mention not getting good use of the tire foot print.

A lot of racers, especially the small tire guys are using wider wheels by an inch or so of the tread width. I think the reasoning is that they can run more air pressure and keep a flatter footprint, at least that's what I heard.
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 01:56 AM

Here is my friends car. He has a big tire on the car but is still peels back from the bead at high speed. Bead locks are required for cars 200 mph or faster.
Screws will hold just fine.
http://youtu.be/Mq74hLBlZxA

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A lot of racers, especially the small tire guys are using wider wheels by an inch or so of the tread width. I think the reasoning is that they can run more air pressure and keep a flatter footprint, at least that's what I heard.

I wouldn't drive it. I would just about guarantee that combo is outside the tire manufacturers rim size recommendation - and there sure as hell is more than 1" difference. Rim screws were never ment to be utilized as bead locks. Glad I don't race at his track.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 02:44 AM

Don't most of the fast stockers run a 12" wheel with a 9" tire? Gives a wider foot print I think. Not going 150 mph though.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: racerbychoice

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 03:14 AM

Quote:

Here is my friends car. He has a big tire on the car but is still peels back from the bead at high speed. Bead locks are required for cars 200 mph or faster.

there are plenty of damaged, wrecked small tire cars and current information that would prove that 15-yr old 200-mph theory dead wrong. the OP is dead accurate with what he posted.

dj
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 03:49 AM

I lost a 17x34.5 off of a 16" wide wheel on my altered but never lost a true 10.5 off my 12" wide wheel.....I know in this picture i have bead locks but the car has been its fastest with regular wheels.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 04:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

there are plenty of damaged, wrecked small tire cars and current information that would prove that 15-yr old 200-mph theory dead wrong. the OP is dead accurate with what he posted.

dj

Its not a myth, is an NHRA rule. So what did all the fast cars do before beadlocks? We raced Comp Eliminator in the 80s and there were no bead locks. We all ran rim screws.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 04:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

dj

Its not a myth, is an NHRA rule. So what did all the fast cars do before beadlocks? We raced Comp Eliminator in the 80s and there were no bead locks. We all ran rim screws.

we used to run tubes in the 15" wheels and liners in the 16" stuff till we got weight concious.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 05:04 AM

So the bead lock rim is slower in ET than a screwed rim ? why is that?
Posted By: ScatPackNick

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 05:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep!!

+1

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 05:13 AM

20lbs heavier, but look cool as [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] and easier to change tires.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 06:57 PM

Pretty common practice with the true 10.5 and 8.5 stuff to run a wheel widerthan the tire tread width. I have NEVER seen it as an issue. Our tires are always installed BY the manufacter at the track. In fact M/T suggests a larger size wheel to increase the footprint. Some folks just dont get it.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 10:29 PM

Quote:

Bead locks are required for cars 200 mph or faster.

I know some TAFC's that run Hoosiers, have no bead
locks. Not sure what they use to keep the
tire on the rim.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

tire on the rim.

they use inner liners, here is some reading material on wheels http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/the-411-on-drag-racing-wheel-technology/

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 11:33 PM

Quote:

20lbs heavier, but look cool as [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] and easier to change tires.

Bob, ur exactly right, they do look cool. And Charlie has beadlocks, and said the same thing, they are SLOW!

Pretty common practice with the true 10.5 and 8.5 stuff to run a wheel widerthan the tire tread width. I have NEVER seen it as an issue. Our tires are always installed BY the manufacter at the track. In fact M/T suggests a larger size wheel to increase the footprint. Some folks just dont get it.
Al, most of our slicks probably do the same thing on a wheel the size of the tread or bigger, we just never saw it,lol. Hense the 20 rim screws per side on his wheels!

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/24/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

tire on the rim.

they use inner liners, here is some reading material on wheels http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/the-411-on-drag-racing-wheel-technology/

Great article. Thanks. Only thing it doesn't really address is tire to rim width. Does a great job explaining the different styles/ methods of tire to rim attachments, proper usage and limitations.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/25/12 12:22 AM

Quote:

X2....

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/25/12 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

X2....

and your definition of larger size is....... and is it outside the tire manufacturers suggested ( ???? ) minimum / maximum rim width for that tire??? Ya, I don't get it, but I'm open for a valid explaination on just how a wider rim increases a tire foot print. Guess I'm just missing - something .
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/25/12 04:02 AM

Not like anything I'll ever own would be fast enough to have this issue, but unless I were changing screws every pass I wouldn't trust that setup. Fatigue plays a big role in how long those screws will hold up. One or two shear off and you get enough vibration, more are likely to follow Plus beadlocks look awesome
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/25/12 07:26 PM

Perhaps some of you replying here to the post should actually get out got the track and ask the manufacturers what they suggest for these tires in these types of applications. I do and have I also race one of these cars. The same class as the video is from. We all run 12" wheels as suggested we do from the manufacturer of the tire M/T for a 29.5x10.5 tire. On the outlaw 8.5 tire we use a 10"'wide rim as suggested by the tire techs from M/T.

The reasoning behind why we do has been pointed out here already. We get a bigger footprint and can run more air in the tires. But you can just read them catalogs and use those conservative recommendations. For those of us trying to truly maximize our programs we will continue to work with all the manufacturers to get the most we can from our cars.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/25/12 10:16 PM

It doesn't have a 509 cam, super stock springs, cop car or rallye wheels, nor a pinion snubber. . . . I wouldn't expect some of you to understand. Charlie has forgotten more race wins than many of us will ever have.
Posted By: redruM

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 12:04 AM

Yep wider wheel=more footprint and stiffer sidewall. I'm sure his tires are glued on as well as screwed. I personally wouldn't run it like that though.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 12:24 AM

Quote:

Perhaps some of you replying here to the post should actually get out got the track and ask the manufacturers what they suggest for these tires in these types of applications. I do and have I also race one of these cars. The same class as the video is from. We all run 12" wheels as suggested we do from the manufacturer of the tire M/T for a 29.5x10.5 tire. On the outlaw 8.5 tire we use a 10"'wide rim as suggested by the tire techs from M/T.

The reasoning behind why we do has been pointed out here already. We get a bigger footprint and can run more air in the tires. But you can just read them catalogs and use those conservative recommendations. For those of us trying to truly maximize our programs we will continue to work with all the manufacturers to get the most we can from our cars.

Ok, just looks unsafe to me. If you gotta run glue and a zillion rim screws ( 16 per side is the max they suggest ), I think bead locks would be in order. I would sacrifice a tenth or two and go with bead locks. I'm not that brave. I admire anyone who "pushes the envelope" - safely. JMO.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 12:46 AM

In Comp Eliminator we ran 24 screws per side of each rim. Besides keeping the tire from spinning on the rim the screws also stiffin the side wall. The screws change the way the sidewall works. We found the more screws the better the tire worked.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 12:57 AM

Like all threads, good debate and opinions are welcome and always should be. The only other thing I left out of the initial post was "could this be a safety issue?" That was my thinking anyway. Like stated several times, the wide wheel and small tire maximizes the footprint, especially for classes limited by a tire size, etc. Commonly used with not many known problems.

What works for Charlie or any other credited sponsored racer might not work for the average guy.....to a point. As stated previously its a good bet Charlie does not race on that same set of tires the next race or all season, so yeah chances are he'll most likely never rip the screws out and spin the tire off a wheel. But for a guy with a car that bites the track, making the same or more power who tries to extend longevity and get as much out of his tires due to lack of funds might not be so lucky or successful. The probability for him to damage his car, crash into a competitor or face injury or death is somewhat higher IMO.

I have spoken to Hoosier, M/T and Goodyear reps about the subject of wide wheel/small tires; their answers are pretty much all the same. But I always have to pose the "what if" questions when there is a chance of something bad happening. And most times the "experts" will give an honest "what if" answer "off the record". You think they'll fix your car, competitors car or take care of you/your family if you get hurt? I don't think so.........

Imagine the car under max power headed down the track and all hell breaks loose; the car immediately gets sideways and the tire is doing the same thing that tire is doing in the video......you're gonna be in trouble; that tire is most likely coming off the wheel. Would that happen with a beadlocked wheel? Hell no.......

People are like sheep sometimes; believe and follow what the next guy is doing until something bad happens............

If this was a video of Booze ripping the tire off the wheel and crashing or other similar incidents posted on the internet, MOST replies to this thread with fast guys would present a whole new way of thinking. I KNOW there would be comments of, "I don't care how much slower it makes me or what it cost, my wheels will be getting beadlocks tomorrow or when I can afford it."

I simply posted the video to show you whats going on with a wide wheel/small tire w/screws. Just a heads-up to think about safety, nothing else.

Wes

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:01 AM

Quote:

In Comp Eliminator we ran 24 screws per side of each rim. Besides keeping the tire from spinning on the rim the screws also stiffin the side wall. The screws change the way the sidewall works. We found the more screws the better the tire worked.

Recommendation from Weld Wheels. 1/8th mile times; 7.51 and slower = 6 per side, 5.51 - 6.50 = 12 per side, 4.75 - 5.50 = 16 per side, quicker than 4.75 = DOUBLE BEAD LOCKS - but I'm sure there are a lot of guys here that are smarter than they are.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:08 AM

Quote:

Like all threads, good debate and opinions are welcome and always should be. The only other thing I left out of the initial post was "could this be a safety issue?" That was my thinking anyway. Like stated several times, the wide wheel and small tire maximizes the footprint, especially for classes limited by a tire size, etc. Commonly used with not many known problems.

What works for Charlie or any other credited sponsored racer might not work for the average guy.....to a point. As stated previously its a good bet Charlie does not race on that same set of tires the next race or all season, so yeah chances are he'll most likely never rip the screws out and spin the tire off a wheel. But for a guy with a car that bites the track, making the same or more power who tries to extend longevity and get as much out of his tires due to lack of funds might not be so lucky or successful. The probability for him to damage his car, crash into a competitor or face injury or death is somewhat higher IMO.

I have spoken to Hoosier, M/T and Goodyear reps about the subject of wide wheel/small tires; their answers are pretty much all the same. But I always have to pose the "what if" questions when there is a chance of something bad happening. And most times the "experts" will give an honest "what if" answer "off the record". You think they'll fix your car, competitors car or take care of you/your family if you get hurt? I don't think so.........

People are like sheep sometimes; believe and follow what the next guy is doing until something bad happens............

If this was a video of Booze ripping the tire off the wheel and crashing or other similar incidents posted on the internet, MOST replies to this thread with fast guys would present a whole new way of thinking. I KNOW there would be comments of, "I don't care how much slower it makes me or what it cost, my wheels will be getting beadlocks tomorrow or when I can afford it."

I simply posted the video to show you whats going on with a wide wheel/small tire w/screws. Just a heads-up to think about safety, nothing else.

Wes

" could this be a safety issue" - IMO, yes.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Recommendation from Weld Wheels. 1/8th mile times; 7.51 and slower = 6 per side, 5.51 - 6.50 = 12 per side, 4.75 - 5.50 = 16 per side, quicker than 4.75 = DOUBLE BEAD LOCKS - but I'm sure there are a lot of guys here that are smarter than they are.

The comp guys are alitter smarter than most,I was a crew member for my inlaw but when guys like Johnny Gray, Hurley Blakney, John Guyer ,Buddy Nickins and Vinnie Deceglie start talking I was all ears. Weld don;t know [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] about getting a badass car down the track.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The comp guys are alitter smarter than most,I was a crew member for my inlaw but when guys like Hurley Blakney, John Guyer ,Buddy Nickins and Vinnie Deceglie start talking I was all ears. Weld don;t know [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] about getting a badass car down the track.

dude stop name dropping and beating your chest. a comp eliminator car does not run a wide wheel with a little tire, so it does not fit/count period in this discussion. you know damn well a comp elim car tire resembles zero relation to whats being discussed here. They have a wide wheel an wide tire! Maybe you should use some of that experience and keep your dart's front end on the ground w/wo the wheelie bars. geez!

dj

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The comp guys are alitter smarter than most,I was a crew member for my inlaw but when guys like Johnny Gray, Hurley Blakney, John Guyer ,Buddy Nickins and Vinnie Deceglie start talking I was all ears. Weld don;t know [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] about getting a badass car down the track.

Your wrong on them not knowing DO-DO... they test
all the time BUT they have a multi million dollar
business and have to put a safety cushion in there
so if a person wants to do something different thats
up to them if they crash

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:29 AM

NoT comparing Comp to this crap but most of you have not seen any video of the back of cars except this one so don't be quick to bash when you have nothing to compare it with. My point is rim screws will hold the tire in place with no problem. Go buy your beadlocks and waste your money if your scared.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:33 AM

Quote:

NoT comparing Comp to this crap but most of you have not seen any video of the back of cars except this one so don't be quick to bash when you have nothing to compare it with. My point is rim screws will hold the tire in place with no problem. Go buy your beadlocks and waste your money if your scared.

then keep comp elim out of your post. just say rim screws will work and be done with it.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:37 AM

Quote:

Your wrong on them not knowing DO-DO... they test all the time BUT they have a multi million dollar business and have to put a safety cushion in thereso if a person wants to do something different thatsup to them if they crash

Mike you are exactly right....and they've (Weld) had the best testing their wheels for years; Bob and Billy Glidden. And everybody knows Billy constantly test M/T tires.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:38 AM

up to them if they crash

Talking about something you know nothing about and I have to laugh at you! . For a guy who can't even ring a motor right, I do not value your opinion nor should you be giving one.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:48 AM

Quote:

Talking about something you know nothing about and I have to laugh at you! . For a guy who can't even ring a motor right, I do not value your opinion nor should you be giving one.

Lets keep this thread on-point and positive, not slam people. Raff knows his stuff and does not have to prove it. He's been helping Moparts members long before 2003. His opinions are valued here. Just sayin'

Attached picture 7307834-20172_funny_you_mad_bro.jpg

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 02:03 AM

Quote:

up to them if they crash

Well I guess I'm not PERFECT like YOU but I guess
your GOD.... but you sure talk BS and from your
comment on Weld Wheels you dont know Jack Sh!t
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 02:13 AM

Quote:

It doesn't have a 509 cam, super stock springs, cop car or rallye wheels, nor a pinion snubber. . . . I wouldn't expect some of you to understand. Charlie has forgotten more race wins than many of us will ever have.

lmfao!

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 05:37 AM

Quote:

Please explain to me how a guy with the same or more power could possibly get more runs and hook harder? My car kills the tire in 15 passes.

as for the lack of funds............ he won't be making the same or more power, if he is he's buying tires becsue if he doesn't he just goes up in smoke.

and last thing, If your running heads up to give up a tenth or two like you stated is huge i don't like giving up anything.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 11:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think we definitely are wiser than most. We have run 7.89 in the 1/4 weighing 3600 lbs, on DOT tires, and we save weight by using no rim screws at all.

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 01:41 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
but you run a big tire, totaly different animal

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 03:02 PM

Quote:

Please explain to me how a guy with the same or more power could possibly get more runs and hook harder? My car kills the tire in 15 passes.

as for the lack of funds............ he won't be making the same or more power, if he is he's buying tires becsue if he doesn't he just goes up in smoke.

and last thing, If your running heads up to give up a tenth or two like you stated is huge i don't like giving up anything.

Bob,

Re-read what I stated, think about it and then you'll understand why I won't need to answer your question.
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/26/12 05:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob,

Re-read what I stated, think about it and then you'll understand why I won't need to answer your question.

Uh-oh! Look who has come out his cave, to give his .
I see both points that are being made. Charlie certainly knows what he is doing, but, if I were a friend/crew member, and saw that vid, I would tell him that he bumped his damn head, if he were to make another pass, with that setup. As far as the argument about weight? Huh? I gladly added the weight of my Champion beadlocks, but, gained the security of knowing that I did everything that I could possibly do, to protect myself, and the guy in the other lane. I guess adding the 10+ pound fire system was a mistake too? No offense to any of the bracket guys, but, I only follow the heads up stuff, so, I will only comment on the heads up arena. To be honest, I feel that Beadlocks should be MANDATORY, at the speeds that these cars are running.(6-7-8 second cars) Can the shi_ hit the fan on a 9 second car? Of course. My point is, if you have had to abide by the Specs (25.2, 25.3, 25.5), why are they overlooking a major player in the drivetrain? The wheels. My Cuda, with the Pro Stock Hemi, made in the area of 1250-1275 HP at the wheels (rough, but, conservative guess) There was no way that I was going to trust my life on some screws to hold that wheel/tire in place, at 160 mph. The 25.3 Spec was a good start, but, you still have cars that weigh in the area of 3500 pounds, going 200 mph, on a little tire. Bada$$? Yes. Totally crazy dangerous? Yes. Might sound a bit off topic, but, I did the tech for every car at the last West Coast Hod Rod race, and was very surprised to see a number of fast (mid 7-8 second) cars, that had no beadlocks. Alright, back to my cave....

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/27/12 05:52 AM

Quote:

Uh-oh! Look who has come out his cave, to give his .
I see both points that are being made. Charlie certainly knows what he is doing, but, if I were a friend/crew member, and saw that vid, I would tell him that he bumped his damn head, if he were to make another pass, with that setup. As far as the argument about weight? Huh? I gladly added the weight of my Champion beadlocks, but, gained the security of knowing that I did everything that I could possibly do, to protect myself, and the guy in the other lane. I guess adding the 10+ pound fire system was a mistake too? No offense to any of the bracket guys, but, I only follow the heads up stuff, so, I will only comment on the heads up arena. To be honest, I feel that Beadlocks should be MANDATORY, at the speeds that these cars are running.(6-7-8 second cars) Can the shi_ hit the fan on a 9 second car? Of course. My point is, if you have had to abide by the Specs (25.2, 25.3, 25.5), why are they overlooking a major player in the drivetrain? The wheels. My Cuda, with the Pro Stock Hemi, made in the area of 1250-1275 HP at the wheels (rough, but, conservative guess) There was no way that I was going to trust my life on some screws to hold that wheel/tire in place, at 160 mph. The 25.3 Spec was a good start, but, you still have cars that weigh in the area of 3500 pounds, going 200 mph, on a little tire. Bada$$? Yes. Totally crazy dangerous? Yes. Might sound a bit off topic, but, I did the tech for every car at the last West Coast Hod Rod race, and was very surprised to see a number of fast (mid 7-8 second) cars, that had no beadlocks. Alright, back to my cave....

I know this whole deal is like beating a dead horse!
When I told Charlie about this post, he laughed and shook his head.
He runs 20 screws per side, and they change tires every 12-15 passes. And NEVER has there been a tear in a bead of a tire. Those guys (Hot Street, Pro Stock, SSO) have been doing it for yrs! And if you put a GoPro on your 1/4, chances are the tire is doing the same thing if your wheel is as wide or wider than the tire...
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/27/12 06:35 AM

As the saying goes, "Opinions are like a__________, everybody has one, and, well, you know the rest.
You are right, my tire could have doing the same exact thing, with the beadlock, but, like I said before, I figured I would try to narrow my chances of something crazy happening. It is all about being safe and having fun, and I wish that for every person that reads this.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Check out this video...tire separating from the wheel - 07/30/12 03:07 AM

Check the one @ the 5:08 mark.

http://youtu.be/yAQ3vQfI3qA
© 2024 Moparts Forums