Moparts

i think my sprag went....Update With Pic.

Posted By: Todd

i think my sprag went....Update With Pic. - 07/16/12 02:15 AM

Last season I had some valve body issues and corrected that with a manual Turbo action cheetah unit.
Today I get to the second round start the burnout and roll out in third gear. Get the car staged and take off. Then about 50 feet out it I get a bad chatter in first gear. I shifted to second and feels fine.
By that time I know the run is junk so shifted to third and back to the trailer.
Got home and drove it in the garage and in first and make ugly sounds really not looking forward to pulling the trans but...
I think the sprag took a dump what do you think?
Is it possible that it got hurt during the burnout?
Posted By: pattyboy 572

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/16/12 02:28 AM

Sounds like to me , i think your correct.....have broken three in my years...fnally put in copes low band applie valve body and A&A sprag.no more issues pat
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/16/12 02:35 AM

Just by chance... check the band to see if its
real loose

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/16/12 03:19 AM

Thats what I was afraid of. I'm gonna drop the pan tommorrow see what I can find.
Here is a video of the Dash for cash race before eliminations started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JkO-mC-GA8&feature=plcp
Posted By: slippery440

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/16/12 02:58 PM

Nice car If it the sprag do yourself a favor and get the sprag with more rollers. I put one in 3 years ago and no problems but I am very carefull about burnouts too.

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/16/12 05:31 PM

A few years ago when the trans was built we put a sprag in with all the extra rollers.
In the video that was 2 runs prior to Didn't get any video of when it happend.
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/16/12 05:52 PM

with drive shaft disconnected transmission in neutral try turning the end to the right then left if it turns easy in both directions i would think the sprag is shot. if you have an spare slip yoke use that to turn it or the drive shaft itself

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/16/12 05:54 PM

Is it possibe to make the valve body that I have a low band apply? IIRC the one thats in there now is a 17676. Manual forward pattern.

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/17/12 01:14 PM

Pulled the pan and found what looks like ground up springs out of the sprag.

Attached picture 7295925-2012-07-16_18-44-49_723.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/17/12 01:29 PM

Quote:

Thats what it looks like.... well its time to pull
the trans.... bummer

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/17/12 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the trans.... bummer

I started on it last night gonna finish tonight after work then off to the trans guy. How much of that stuff got in the converter?

Attached picture 7296194-2012-07-16_18-44-06_347.jpg

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/17/12 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the trans.... bummer

I started to pull it last night probibly finish tonight after work. How much of that stuff got in the converter?

Attached picture 7296198-2012-07-16_18-44-06_347.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/17/12 06:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the trans.... bummer

I started to pull it last night probibly finish tonight after work. How much of that stuff got in the converter?

Probally none, as long as you have a filter or screen on the valve body It's awfully hard for pieces that big to get suck through the filter
Posted By: mopar400

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/17/12 07:54 PM

Nice car. I think that is my Dad's old chevelle in the other lane. Good luck with the transmission
Posted By: mrsmallblock

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/17/12 11:34 PM

turbo action converted several of my 17676 valve bodies to low band apply several years back ... i think that part number was 17680. I see they don't show them on their website now so maybe they won't do it anymore.

Howard

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/18/12 12:12 AM

Quote:

Nice car. I think that is my Dad's old chevelle in the other lane. Good luck with the transmission

Thanks. There is a lot of nice rides there.

I'm probably going to keep the same valve body. Just makes me wonder about the old one that was a homemade manual that I tried and never seemed to shift right may have damaged the spag then.
Well its not coming out tonight. Its too hot. Went swimming with the kids instead.
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/18/12 05:26 AM

Make Sure you rinse out your tranny lines and cooler Good.
I always rinse them out after a trans issue just to be safe.
Just an FYI
David
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: i think my sprag went.... - 07/18/12 02:18 PM

Quote:

A few years ago when the trans was built we put a sprag in with all the extra rollers.
In the video that was 2 runs prior to Didn't get any video of when it happend.

So the trans already has either the A&A Ultimate sprag or the Coan Super sprag with 16 rollers? (vs the 12 roller Chryser).

It is likely that the valve body can be changed to low band apply, check with John Cope at CRT. He has done some in the past, but not all valve bodies can be changed.

Attached picture 7297593-Coan_16sprag-compare.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/18/12 02:33 PM

Quote:

Last season I had some valve body issues and corrected that with a manual Turbo action cheetah unit.

....so are we sure the t/a valve body "corrected" the issue you were having? You just don't hear of this issue much with their manual valve body being used. I know I never had issues with mine. Too bad I don't live near you. Sold my race car, but still have the "back up" trans sitting here which I used for years prior to going full race trans. It has a TA valve body and I never had sprag issues.

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/18/12 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

....so are we sure the t/a valve body "corrected" the issue you were having? You just don't hear of this issue much with their manual valve body being used. I know I never had issues with mine. Too bad I don't live near you. Sold my race car, but still have the "back up" trans sitting here which I used for years prior to going full race trans. It has a TA valve body and I never had sprag issues.

Thanks for the offer. The prior valve body was a homemade manual one that a buddy had laying around let me try. Some times it it would work fine and the next pass wouldnt leave in first gear.
After changing to the turbo action unit been fine. Its got around 30 passes on this one with no problems until now.

Attached picture 7297651-20120610_0489.JPG

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/21/12 05:35 PM

Got the trans out and to the builder. He took it apart while we waited and my guess was right. The sprag came apart. He said it could have been alot worse. It only had a 12 roller stock sprag from TCI. Going to replace it with a 16 roller from A&A.

Attached picture 7301848-bustedsprag.jpg

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/21/12 07:35 PM

Well, that answers that question. I thought you said it had a sprag with extra rollers?

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/21/12 07:49 PM

Quote:

Well, that answers that question. I thought you said it had a sprag with extra rollers?

Yea that's what I thought it had. It makes a lot more sense now when my dad got the the one that turned to junk was half the price.
Posted By: formula S

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/22/12 08:19 AM

To help prevent this from happening again, never start your burnouts in 1st gear
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/22/12 05:29 PM

Quote:

Got the trans out and to the builder. He took it apart while we waited and my guess was right. The sprag came apart. He said it could have been alot worse. It only had a 12 roller stock sprag from TCI. Going to replace it with a 16 roller from A&A.

That 16 roller unit is great and stops a lot of those problems

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/22/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Going to replace it with a 16 roller from A&A.

I like the look of the stepped, axle bolts used in Coan Super Sprag better than the ferrals on the A&A unit. But both should be a big improvement to the factory setup.

Attached picture 7303019-Coan_Super_Sprag.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/22/12 06:44 PM

Well we know the effect.... now what was the cause?

When I had the trans in my old car updated, I inquired about changing from the stock sprag. The builder didn't seem to concerned with the "upgrade" as I had never had issues with it, and the stock unit was secure in the case. Springs were uniform and rollers true. I've always just done my burnout in 2nd which he said was just fine.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: i think my sprag went....found stuff in pan... - 07/22/12 06:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Going to replace it with a 16 roller from A&A.

I like the look of the stepped, axle bolts used in Coan Super Sprag better than the ferrals on the A&A unit. But both should be a big improvement to the factory setup.

that is the 1 I used because of the stepped bolts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums