Moparts

So you think you have a sleeper

Posted By: smokinwoody

So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 02:20 PM

its not a Mopar but its lethal and it will turn 8's...it's the ULTIMATE sleeper...

I took these pics yesterday at the Supercar Saturday meet in Bollingbrook, Illinois...

hope you enjoy these and I know its been around..but these are MY photos

Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 02:37 PM

That is awesome

Rickster
Posted By: moparniac

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 02:47 PM

isn't that the nova from drag week years back...
Posted By: 540dust

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 02:52 PM

I like the trailer hitch.
Posted By: headhunter

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 03:01 PM

yes it is and was in the hot rod magazines pump gas dr ags that i was in its an awsome ride
Posted By: W9 Dart

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 03:36 PM

CAr is wicked... it's far from a sleeper now though.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 03:50 PM

money maker $$$
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 05:25 PM

Kurt Urban????
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 05:33 PM

LS-1 motor?

Thanks for the pics Jeff.
Posted By: mopartony

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 05:38 PM

Quote:

Kurt Urban????

Not sure if Kurt is still with them but he was and by the looks of the years of dirt. It looks about right for when I knew he was there.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 05:58 PM

Quote:

Only because it's been around to long... Visually you'd expect it to be a twelve second car, maybe elevens... Eights no way... But yeah it's been doing this to long & plenty of people know what it's capable of...
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

This thing has been on so many TV shows, websites, been in so many magazines and books (I saw it in a coffee table book about "sleepers" at Barnes and Noble) that it's cover has been blown for awhile now.
Posted By: mafo

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/08/12 06:46 PM

That is pure art...
Posted By: dangina

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 09:36 AM

speedhunters did an article on the car a couple months back:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/10/car_spotlight_gt_gt_1160hp_super_sleeper_nova/

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 12:29 PM

its the way it was when it was built....I saw it sitting next to the exotics sticking out like a sore thumb...I said to myself, who would bring a piece of junk like that here until I realized, this was that 8 second sleeper car...

I knew I had to snap some pictures because I dont wonder up north to the north side cruise nights...

the way it was built, you can tell in the pictures, that it was well thought out...

here are the pics I took of the show..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v506/smokinwoody/SCS%207-7-12/
Posted By: dizuster

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 01:48 PM

This car really is the inspiration for my latest project. Mine won't go in the 8's, but I'm hoping if it hooks and if I lean on it, it'll dip in the 9s… we'll see…

The only thing I never liked about that Nova was how big of a tire it had and the cal-traks. Lots of real fast 275/60 drag radial cars, no need to show off those big meats on the back!

Attached picture 7284105-Wheels.jpg

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 01:52 PM

Motor Pic. I went turbo instead of the SC's just because it was cheaper/easier for me to do...

Attached picture 7284107-SavoyEnginesmall.jpg
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 03:26 PM

why is it a sleeper? big tires...super loud when he fires it up for sure, roll cage.... is it a sleeper because it is green has hub caps and he's too lazy to wash it?

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

why is it a sleeper? big tires...super loud when he fires it up for sure, roll cage.... is it a sleeper because it is green has hub caps and he's too lazy to wash it?

because it doesnt look like yours!!

just looks like a beater with pipes....and it has 1200hp not 600.....you know the street game, I think

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

because it doesnt look like yours!!

just looks like a beater with pipes....and it has 1200hp not 600.....you know the street game, I think

I'm saying if I saw that car, heard that car I could tell it wasn't a warmed over 350. One walk around the car would tell you it's fast. 8 second fast maybe not. Plenty of ugly fast cars around and pretty slow cars. Mt ideal sleeper would be a 67 4 door valaint Tan.. BB Twin turbo no cage, w/ 14" rims and 10" or less of tire. To me the FAST cars are more of a sleeper than something like the Nova.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 05:06 PM

This is a sleeper. N/A, drive everywhere, gets the groceries, best of all, cops don't even give it a second look.

Attached picture 7284327-35.jpg

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 05:08 PM

I think it ran in the 10.'s if allowed a full pass.

Attached picture 7284332-2kldev.jpg
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/09/12 06:26 PM

Here is a nice write up on the build...

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0611_72_nova_w2w/viewall.html
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 03:07 AM

Quote:

This is a sleeper. N/A, drive everywhere, gets the groceries, best of all, cops don't even give it a second look.

I saw it when Kurt finished it, before he took it to Dragweek. Drove it to the local McDonalds cruise night.

And it is a sleeper (or was, as stated everyone knows the car now) When it pulled in, it sounded like every other ratty old Nova with krappy mufflers you've ever heard, 12 second car yes, 9 second car no! We have quite a few 9 second street cars around here, and they look nothing like that Nova

It was Loud but nothing special, it gave no hint of there being twin SC's under the hood. There is zero SC whine when running and that was what shocked everyone when we got a look under the hood.

It was like most of Wheel to Wheel's stuff was, COOL

Too bad he sold it, I miss seeing that thing around.
Posted By: AKMUTT

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 04:24 AM

This challenger runs an small bolck stroker.
Engine is built for large amounts of NOS
Has plate and fogger systems and a 950 carb
All MSD systems with 7AL-3 ignition
TCI drag race 727 with an trans brake and 4000 rpm converter
Latter bar and coil over rear suspension
430 gears on a spool with morrison axles and street slicks.
On board halon systen and fuel cell
Have yet to run it on the track, have only had it running for two weeks now.

So I feel that this is a sleeper

Attached picture 7285335-P9210156.JPG
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 04:33 AM

here is one local to me. been in the 8's small block chevy with a turbo blow thru, for real low buck to boot:

Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 12:14 PM

Mr. Angry did a webisode or something similar about the car. Was pretty cool. The steering is real loose and it looks nice and ratty. I guess from the side, or a passing car, you can't see the cage because of the post. I thought they said it ran 9's, but either way, wow.
But, it's still a Chebbie. Lol
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I saw it when Kurt finished it, before he took it to Dragweek. Drove it to the local McDonalds cruise night.

And it is a sleeper (or was, as stated everyone knows the car now) When it pulled in, it sounded like every other ratty old Nova with krappy mufflers you've ever heard, 12 second car yes, 9 second car no! We have quite a few 9 second street cars around here, and they look nothing like that Nova

It was Loud but nothing special, it gave no hint of there being twin SC's under the hood. There is zero SC whine when running and that was what shocked everyone when we got a look under the hood.

It was like most of Wheel to Wheel's stuff was, COOL

Too bad he sold it, I miss seeing that thing around.

He didn't sell it. Kurt didn't own the car, it was owned by Wheel 2 Wheel. Kurt campaigned it for the company. When wheel 2 wheel closed it was sold off.

Not sure how anyone could say that isn't a sleeper. if it isn't im not sure what would be. The cage was put in so it could run drag week. They carefully built that cage so it was almost not visible from the outside of the car. Unless you stuck your head inside the window it was hard to tell it was there.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 06:32 PM

Here is another awesome sleeper.

1985 Ford LTD, using a junkyard 5.3 chevy LS engine runs 9.79 @ 144 mph in the 1/4...76mm turbo on a very conservative tune.

Tiny 235 drag radials, 6-mufflers, 2.73 rear gear, powerglide, weighs 3689lbs.

Stock 5.3L shortblock, stock 5.3L heads, gt2-3 cam (207/220 @.050 118lsa) with good springs/pushrods, ls9 gaskets and head studs

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1418133-142mph-junkyard-5-3-a.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1534225-got-9s-my-ltd-jy-5-3-a.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1fiKVFrYGM

Posted By: hemicop

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 06:40 PM

It's my dream ride. Actually, the cage may give it away, but if you knew how to set-up a street race, it wouldn't be found out until later and besides, who would figure this thing for an 8-second ride? The exterior hides the driveline, mufflers & turbos help mask the engine sound & the driver & "crew" should never let anyone crawl all over the car to look closely at it. If it were me, I'd have tinted the windows real dark & risk the tickets.
As to it being too well known----pick & choose your races & locations & it'll still make money.
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 07:14 PM

I have always liked that Nova! My buddy has quite the sleeper. He is just finishing up a more serious version. Here is a couple video's of it from last year.

-Kenny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF1ZmFhHZ3A&feature=relmfu

Small 100 foot dash we have every year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wyihwk53IA&feature=related

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 07:20 PM

I am seeing a theme developing in the powerplant department...
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 07:20 PM

Quote:

Mr. Angry did a webisode or something similar about the car. Was pretty cool. The steering is real loose and it looks nice and ratty. I guess from the side, or a passing car, you can't see the cage because of the post. I thought they said it ran 9's, but either way, wow.
But, it's still a Chebbie. Lol

Yes I do have a sleeper just not as fast.........YET! The videos I saw of Urban`s car at drag week showed it was running in the mid 9`s also........... WAY too much junk on board for me but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 08:32 PM

Quote:

Not sure how anyone could say that isn't a sleeper. if it isn't im not sure what would be.

It's not a sleeper because of all of the over-exposure. It's been in magazines, all over the web, on TV shows, it's even in a coffee table book about sleepers that you can find at Barnes and Noble.

If you have a sleeper you don't broadcast how much HP it has, what times it runs, you don't even open the hood for anyone much less splash everything about it all over every form of media known to man.

The 4 door Chevelle was a sleeper too at one time before it got over-exposed, same thing with the old orange Chevy pickup with the topper and the dog with the bandana who rides shotgun. Everyone has seen them and knows about them by now.

Now, that Ford with the Chevy motor in this thread, THAT'S a sleeper! Same with the red Challenger.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

Here is a nice write up on the build...

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0611_72_nova_w2w/viewall.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=96Hv_jRQMv8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB1Wrv0SiyQ&feature=related

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 10:01 PM

I have kept the Challenger stock looking as much as posible

Attached picture 7286356-P7100015.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/10/12 10:03 PM

I haven't found out how to post more that one picture per post so here is another of the inteior

Attached picture 7286360-P7100023.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 02:48 PM

Quote:

This car really is the inspiration for my latest project. Mine won't go in the 8's, but I'm hoping if it hooks and if I lean on it, it'll dip in the 9s… we'll see…

The only thing I never liked about that Nova was how big of a tire it had and the cal-traks. Lots of real fast 275/60 drag radial cars, no need to show off those big meats on the back!

OFF TOPIC but what is the build on your SB? I have always dug the car. 9's would be very good....How much boost? I don't see any innercooler.
Posted By: patrick

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 03:47 PM

Quote:

my thought...it's only a sleeper until he fires it up.
Posted By: VoodooCLD

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 08:04 PM

Even still, as long as he doesn't pop the hood or trunk he'll find plenty of races. I know tons of 11-12 second street cars that have cages.
Show off the cage, claim it runs mid 11's, and laugh all the way to the bank.
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 09:03 PM

There are alot of sleeper cars around. Here is a friend of mine in his street driven mustang. This is a test run he made at the track.
He runs a smallblock ford and a procharger.He did not put the pedal to the floor till about 200 feet out. He ran over 175 mph in the qtr mile on this pass and that is a 3000# car.
http://youtu.be/87IBgWOrRBM
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 09:29 PM

Fast, but I think the huge cowl hood, parachute, wing and mag wheels eliminate it from 'sleeper' catagory...
Posted By: 65signet

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 09:34 PM

Sleeper's should not have power adders, i think it is more impressive without some big turbo or procharger hanging off the motor. JMO

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 09:36 PM

Quote:

Sleeper's should not have power adders, i think it is more impressive without some big turbo or procharger hanging off the motor. JMO

THANK YOU............I agree for the most part and fast n/a has WAY more merit then the power adders.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 09:45 PM

Say what you want but turbos and prochargers are here to stay.He does not cruise the streets with a parachute.It is a track rule if you go over 150 you need to have a chute on the car. My point is there alot of fast cars out there. I see 2 power adders on that nova. Don't be a hater because your crap is slow.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

then its not a sleeper its just slow

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/11/12 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don`t get me wrong here, I`m blown away by turbos and the power they can produce but if you think about it, they SHOULD haul ass cos they`re expected to. N/a cars can only be so fast w/out high end money and parts which I`m short on these days so, slow n/a for me for now.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 01:23 AM

Quote:

Sleeper's should not have power adders

Not sure that having a power adder makes the car look faster...what is under a closed hood, is under a closed hood
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 01:36 AM

Quote:

Say what you want but turbos and prochargers are here to stay.He does not cruise the streets with a parachute.It is a track rule if you go over 150 you need to have a chute on the car. My point is there alot of fast cars out there. I see 2 power adders on that nova. Don't be a hater because your crap is slow.

^^^^^^^ Ahhh....someone has a clue ^^^^^^^

Rickster

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don`t get me wrong here, I`m blown away by turbos and the power they can produce but if you think about it, they SHOULD haul ass cos they`re expected to. N/a cars can only be so fast w/out high end money and parts which I`m short on these days so, slow n/a for me for now.

I'm glad i don't have a turbo so i didn't get grouped into that statement.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 05:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All these arbitrary rules as to what constitutes a sleeper....sheesh!

So, if the turbo car is built with a junkyard engine, no high end parts, doesn't look fast, is super quiet, doesn't cost a lot to replicate, and yet it still runs solid mid 9's at 144mph... can it still be a real sleeper?
Posted By: Charger453

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 06:45 AM

A bunch of haters in this thread...

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 02:42 PM

Quote:

w/o boost it's almost impossible to have a "sleeper"/driver. To do it N/A you'll need tons of cubic inches, very very expensive heads, a big bumpity bumb cam, big stall and tall gear. Boost eliminates the need for all of that.
Posted By: VoodooCLD

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 02:54 PM

Agreed that the turbo and super chargers will make a really powerful unsuspecting car. Only problem is, i can hear a charger from a mile away. The beans are spoiled as soon as you hit the gas.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 03:02 PM

Quote:

word... I was under the impression was a sleeper was simply a car that is wayyy faster then it appears. I didn't realize it had a million other constraints....

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 03:13 PM

Quote:

Agreed that the turbo and super chargers will make a really powerful unsuspecting car. Only problem is, i can hear a charger from a mile away. The beans are spoiled as soon as you hit the gas.

some do some don't. I had a paxton that was quiet. Only thing you heard was the pssssssst when the BOV opened after you got out of it. Plenty of new Mustangs running boost that you can't hear. Does the Nova look like it could run 8's? Not until you open the hood, but then again I'd never be dumb enough to race somebody for money w/o knowing exactly what they had. Apples to apples not apples to doughnuts.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 03:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A bunch of haters in this thread... [/quot

I was under the impression was a sleeper was simply a car that is wayyy faster then it appears. I didn't realize it had a million other constraints....

That would be my definition too!

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad i don't have a turbo so i didn't get grouped into that statement.

Sorry you feel picked on as I was about my "slow ass car" whatever............your car is bad ass no denying that. I`ve been watching several P.S.C.A. guys for years set the racing world on fire and watched Jason Pettis build these monsters first hand when I worked there so this isn`t my first rodeo and if I had the cash I too could have an 8-second streeter but, n/a works for me..............and of course my "slo ass car"............so who`s the REAL hater here.........sure ain`t me.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

w/o boost it's almost impossible to have a "sleeper"/driver. To do it N/A you'll need tons of cubic inches, very very expensive heads, a big bumpity bumb cam, big stall and tall gear. Boost eliminates the need for all of that.

I have seen plenty of small cubic inch N/A motors, going really quick in super stock and comp elim, i saw a barracuda with a N/A 383 go 9.70 dragging the bumper with a AVS for a carb.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/12/12 10:41 PM

Quote:

for the 10 second crowd....not until after I hammered it...of course mine wasn't built to look like a sleep either although I had many a "kid" try and sucker me into a race until they asked to see whats under the hood...

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 03:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

technically, a "short" gear..."tall" gears are numerically low, like say 2.76 or 2.45. short gears are numerically high, like 4.11 or 4.88's...

and yep, nothing wrong with a boosted sleeper, as long as it's subtle (i.e. can't hear any supercharger whine during normal driving)....

to me a sleeper is a car that looks AND sounds stock/stockish on the outside, but is way, way faster than stock...

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 04:08 PM

To me there are different levels of sleepers. The Wheel 2 Wheel Nova might have some rumble at idle and bigger tires on it, but the car absolutely flys too. That's a car you might look at and wonder if it could run in the 10s. But it's really in the 8's.

My junk couldn't come close to competing with that Nova, but mine idles like it's stock and has 255/60 tires on it too. So yeah, you could look at it and wonder if it might run in the 12's but it should be into the 10's easily.

Loud or quiet, rough or smooth idle, big or little tires… Sleeper simply put just means it runs faster then what you think it should.
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 04:19 PM

Thumper and others if you were in the staging lanes and knew NOTHING about this Nova lining up against you...You would chukle and think this is a joke...I know I would as well as my friends.

Thats whats cool about it, not that it should be N/A ... as your car sits its not a Sleeper at all but for what it is it runs damn good. my

Attached picture 7290636-ThumpeRD.jpg
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 04:20 PM

and this

Attached picture 7290638-nova1.jpg

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

Thumper and others if you were in the staging lanes and knew NOTHING about this Nova lining up against you...You would chukle and think this is a joke...I know I would as well as my friends.

Thats whats cool about it, not that it should be N/A ... as your car sits its not a Sleeper at all but for what it is it runs damn good. my

It`s all good...........But I know better and have been racing for many years sorry, "et-chasing" and have been blown away more than once by really fast cars that shouldn`t be. Love em all..............thankxxx 4 the cudos. I still remember Bakersfielf in 09 when I asked a "team" of matching outfits what lane I should race in and they asked, what`s it run low 12`s and I told em I was shootin for my first 9-sec. slip and they chuckled. When I came back and showed em my t-slip, they asked how much I was spraying and when I told em it was n/a they didn`t know what to say. Oh, they could barely muster mid-10`s on spray w/their big block Chevy so, sleeper? I still say yes...............
Posted By: Ian

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

I like the trailer hitch.

got one too,lol

Attached picture 7290672-551232_10150925862227485_398163741_n.jpg

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 05:17 PM

Hey bro, don't want anyone to think I'm capping on your car because it runs real good. Posting on the web things can be mis interpeted as a cap when this is not the case. Just showing there are some real basass cars that are on the street. If this mustang pulled up next to you at a light I sure you would think you could blow his doors off. Not too many 7. sec cars driving around on the street. Take care Steve

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/13/12 05:21 PM

Quote:

Hey bro, don't want anyone to think I'm capping on your car because it runs real good. Posting on the web things can be mis interpeted as a cap when this is not the case. Just showing there are some real basass cars that are on the street. If this mustang pulled up next to you at a light I sure you would think you could blow his doors off. Not too many 7. sec cars driving around on the street. Take care Steve

No offense taken.............. and you are correct, there are some bad-ass sleepers out there and I`m not trying to be in their league nor compete w/em cos I can`t. Just doin what I can w/what I`ve got that`s all.............
Posted By: racerx

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/14/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

What size rim/tire were u plan on?love to here the results.....Pm me if u like
Posted By: ridin98ci

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/24/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

Seems like thats all there ever is online anymore.....hate fest....I enjoy ALL cars, I am a Mopar fan and thats what I own, BUT I appreciate all of them...GM, Ford....I REALLY like AMC....I even respect some [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] stuff (not that I would EVER own or drive one) Time to do what momma taught us.....if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all...
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/24/12 06:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This thing has been on so many TV shows, websites, been in so many magazines and books (I saw it in a coffee table book about "sleepers" at Barnes and Noble) that it's cover has been blown for awhile now.

I can't see the pics above but hte first Nova I thought of was teh one from that Sleepers book. So yeah, if I know about it, the guy's cover is really blown.

And yep, the rear tires don't help.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/25/12 04:32 AM

wasnt that green nova from muscle car television..
the cuban guy built it?
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 02:53 PM

Was on Drag Week in 2006 when Urban took it...he pulled up beside Steve Hoch's White 68 Vette. Steve was easily gonna win BB/PA that year even without using his N20, but there was no way he was going to let the Nova outrun him, so he cranked the bottle to it and whipped that ugly green thing by a half a second, like 9.0 to 9.5!!

Was on Drag Week in 2011 when the new owner took it...sez he called Urban to pick his brain about building a similar car, and ended up just buying the Nova. Broke a brake line on the drive between Great Bend and Amarillo, nearly wrecked the thing!

Very cool car, I didn't think it was too loud, just not something I'd like or want to emulate. I think to call it an 8 sec. car is a stretch..it may have an 8 sec pass on a perfect tune in perfect conditions, but on Drag Week it's 9.5-9.9, and that's plenty impressive to me!!

Pic below is the guys rolling into Tulsa at last year's drag week..."Sleeper"?? uh, yeah!

Attached picture 7308486-142.JPG
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

Very cool car, I didn't think it was too loud, just not something I'd like or want to emulate. I think to call it an 8 sec. car is a stretch..it may have an 8 sec pass on a perfect tune in perfect conditions, but on Drag Week it's 9.5-9.9, and that's plenty impressive to me!!

I dunno, for a power adder? Last years drag week had the winner of BB/NA running 9.6!

But it is interesting how so many people exaggerate their vehicle’s performance. "My car goes x.xx" they'll say and then when you see them actually at a race they go y.yy

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 05:38 PM

Again, impressive car MOSTLY by it`s looks no it`s performance based on all of the crap on board to get there. I don`t have steel wheels and hub caps(anymore)but when I did I got similar looks just a bit slower. I still think to a certain degree "sleeper" has different meanings to different people and when some see my heap click off 9`s at 3200lbs. n/a w/old skool junk parts, I get similar looks only my junk`s louder w/out all of the frills..........
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 06:09 PM

Late to this thread, but the term "sleeper" really gets thrown around too much. By my definition, The Nova definately is a sleeper..... until you open the hood. I like the vibe I have going with my car. No, it doesn't run 9's and this board is tough to impress, but I've been around long enough to know that 11 second streetcars don't grow on trees, and with no power adders I'm pretty confident in my sleeper status.

Attached picture 7308735-Satellite1A.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 06:10 PM

Under hood..... still pretty sleepy.

Attached picture 7308736-P1070108.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 06:12 PM

last time at the track:

Attached picture 7308739-1192.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 06:14 PM

Outside of the wheels & tires, Dustin Wards Dart is in rarified sleeper status in my book. Although the roll bar is a dead givaway.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 07:26 PM

Quote:

No, it doesn't run 9's and this board is tough to impress, but I've been around long enough to know that 11 second streetcars don't grow on trees, and with no power adders I'm pretty confident in my sleeper status.

You have a really nice car! Although I can think of at least a half dozen 11 second street cars within a 15 mile radius of me right now… And those are just the normally aspirated Mopars. Heck, the kid across the street (literally) has a supercharged 4.7L Mustang that has gone high 11’s.

I wouldn’t consider any of them “sleepers”, though.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 08:02 PM

Quote:

Late to this thread, but the term "sleeper" really gets thrown around too much. By my definition, The Nova definately is a sleeper..... until you open the hood. I like the vibe I have going with my car. No, it doesn't run 9's and this board is tough to impress, but I've been around long enough to know that 11 second streetcars don't grow on trees, and with no power adders I'm pretty confident in my sleeper status.

VERY nice car by the way.........
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/26/12 08:53 PM

Quote:

Outside of the wheels & tires, Dustin Wards Dart is in rarified sleeper status in my book. Although the roll bar is a dead givaway.

Thanks! Most people don't expect it to run like it does, but I wouldn't call it a sleeper.

Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 12:30 AM

I think it's a sleeper?

10.30@133 on 6" bias ply's Looks like something your grandfather would drive.

Attached picture 7309163-MaxieattheValleyFall2011.jpg2.jpg
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 01:04 AM

Ed without a doubt the ultimate sleeper. As impressive as it is a hidden fogger and some drag radials would make it a serious money taker. Only rules in sleepers is there isn't any.
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 01:05 AM

Quote:

i feel it is kinda not...bright red,spoilers,white letters,stripes,and a car that everyone is expecting to be fast,i would feel soooo much better being beat by your car,than a clapped out,puke green nova,sorry...and IF that car ever runs below 10,s...i would be suprised...pretty car though.
Posted By: racerx

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 01:11 AM

I think this is a sleeper
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7307904&an=0&page=0#Post7307904

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i feel it is kinda not...bright red,spoilers,white letters,stripes,and a car that everyone is expecting to be fast,i would feel soooo much better being beat by your car,than a clapped out,puke green nova,sorry...and IF that car ever runs below 10,s...i would be suprised...pretty car though.

why does a car have to look like a POS to be a sleeper? FAST cars are sleepers... a really nice car like the black on above is too.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 02:29 AM

Quote:

I dunno, for a power adder? Last years drag week had the winner of BB/NA running 9.6!

But it is interesting how so many people exaggerate their vehicle’s performance. "My car goes x.xx" they'll say and then when you see them actually at a race they go y.yy

The 99 Camaro that averaged 9.6 on Drag week had 2nd place covered by 7 tenths, and 3rd place by a second and a half! Very well scienced out car, and an awesome accomplishment. That's not a benchmark to denigrate a power-adder car's performance...

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 02:36 AM

There are all kinds of sleepers. Anything that is faster than it appears is a sleeper in my opinion shiny, muscle car, compact, sports car, four door, they all can be sleepers.
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 02:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf_tQkM3CME

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 02:52 AM

Dayam that Mustang is awesome.
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 03:11 AM

Quote:

THATS what im talking about....sleeper..ie:making you feel bad,w/o billet wheels,house of color paint,and NOS stickers all over it,and putting you on the trailer by 20 car lengths,lol.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 03:23 AM

Quote:

The 99 Camaro that averaged 9.6 on Drag week had 2nd place covered by 7 tenths, and 3rd place by a second and a half! Very well scienced out car, and an awesome accomplishment. That's not a benchmark to denigrate a power-adder car's performance...

sure it does! That says to me that there was lack of proper competition in BB/NA. There was the 91 Mustang that ran low 9's but didnt finish. Then there where 3 cars in SB/NA running mid 10's. That's within a little more than a half a second of the Nova that not only has a big block but two turbos!?!?

There are three cars of members on this forum alone (that i can think of) that have "streetable" rides that can run high 9's without a power adder. One has already posted in this thread.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 04:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That says to me that there was lack of proper competition in BB/NA.

There are three cars of members on this forum alone (that i can think of) that have "streetable" rides that can run high 9's without a power adder. One has already posted in this thread.

OK fine, I'll borrow Dom's Dart and take it on Drag Week this year...what'ya say Dom..think there will be anything left when we get back to Tulsa for day 5??

"Steetable" High Nines.
"High Nine average for 5 days while completing DragWeek"

Not the same thing, not even close.

Ask me how I know, I took a "Steetable" 10.70 car last year and came home with a 12.52 average...very humbling!
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 05:10 AM

That Mustang was cuttin' gas at the end and the nose dropped on the 1000 foot mark if any one noticed.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 01:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

THATS what im talking about....sleeper..ie:making you feel bad,w/o billet wheels,house of color paint,and NOS stickers all over it,and putting you on the trailer by 20 car lengths,lol.

dam those SBF can run... he had more in it, was cutting off at the 1000 foot as mentioned.
Posted By: ScatPackNick

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 01:34 PM

Quote:

I think it's a sleeper?

[Email]10.30@133[/Email] on 6" bias ply's Looks like something your grandfather would drive.

Thats pretty much what i envision when someone says sleeper

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, it doesn't run 9's and this board is tough to impress, but I've been around long enough to know that 11 second streetcars don't grow on trees, and with no power adders I'm pretty confident in my sleeper status.

You have a really nice car! Although I can think of at least a half dozen 11 second street cars within a 15 mile radius of me right now… And those are just the normally aspirated Mopars. Heck, the kid across the street (literally) has a supercharged 4.7L Mustang that has gone high 11’s.

I wouldn’t consider any of them “sleepers”, though.

I'd call this belvedere a sleeper....even more so if it was a 4 door....or if it had a 318 looking 408.....

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/27/12 03:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That says to me that there was lack of proper competition in BB/NA.

OK fine, I'll borrow Dom's Dart and take it on Drag Week this year...what'ya say Dom..think there will be anything left when we get back to Tulsa for day 5??

"Steetable" High Nines.
"High Nine average for 5 days while completing DragWeek"

Not the same thing, not even close.

Ask me how I know, I took a "Steetable" 10.70 car last year and came home with a 12.52 average...very humbling!

No problem...........you flip the bill, be my co-pilot and I`ll do it NO PROBLEM. You`re barking up the wrong tree dude..........been beating this car w/an n/a big block for over 13 years w/out a wimper going faster than most around here at least so, you game? And why do you have to be a hater? By the way Billy Bob, it`ll go solid 9.60`s or better when I fine tune it cos that was the first pass of the trailer leaving easy..............

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/28/12 02:03 AM

Not Hatin' Dom.
Do I have to come to Victorville and pick you up?
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/28/12 02:13 AM

Only pic i have. Car is lsx powered. Full weight, ps, pb, a/c, cruise control, good stereo, ALL STEEL. 3480 with driver. No aftermarket gauges. no bar/cage. Stock shifter. Only non stock item inside is the steering wheel. Ugly ass stock rims.
Yea, it sounds a nasty, but not as bad as you would think. On a 275/60 d/r it's been 10.17 on motor, and 9.64 on 100 shot. and gets driven everywhere. It's made us a good bit of money!!

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/28/12 03:16 AM

Quote:

Not Hatin' Dom.

No problem...............I`m not denying the fact that ANY of those cars fast or slow that survive that deal, have my respect hands down. I was just defending the jab you threw at my "very dependable" at the pump fueled street car ASSuming it would basically fall apart or we`d "see what`s left"............too funny. I have WAY more miles on my car than 10 drag weeks w/many passes in between............... Peace.............
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/28/12 03:51 AM

Quote:

Not Hatin' Dom.

You could quit working on your car Billy and just run
Dom's car or ride with him

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/28/12 04:10 AM

I bet that would be one for the books............then we could get six-pack gut to write all about it.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 02:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Hv_jRQMv8&feature=g-vrec
Posted By: dvw

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 03:43 AM

How about this pile?

http://youtu.be/8jMFeCwP6qo?hd=1
Doug

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 04:20 AM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Hv_jRQMv8&feature=g-vrec

That is sleeper bad-ass in a crazy kind of way...........

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 04:21 AM

Quote:

How about this pile?

http://youtu.be/8jMFeCwP6qo?hd=1
Doug

That was a cool ride along...........
Posted By: ksj

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 04:24 AM

The drivetrain in this car is now in a plain white 69 Dart with steel wheels,full interior etc. that weighs less than the Cuda.DragWeek people know the Cuda but havent seen "Blanche"This vid was from a few years ago.
http://bangshift.com/blog/mike-crow-wins-small-block-naturally-aspirated-class-at-drag-week.html

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 04:26 AM

MoparBilly less Moparts and FB time. 41 days til Tulsa time.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 04:29 AM

heres the rest of those sleepers I photographed that day...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v506/s...%3DIMG_1992.jpg
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 04:47 AM

As far as I am concerned, the only car I can truly call a sleeper is a little known Cuda from KS. It has been known under the name of "Brown Sugar" This car has even run up against race bikes. No. it does not have the innocent look, but on any given moment, people would write it off as a maybe low ten second car. Ha, Ha, Take your Lunch money and Lunch Box on that bet.
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 04:49 AM

Quote:

The drivetrain in this car is now in a plain white 69 Dart with steel wheels,full interior etc. that weighs less than the Cuda.DragWeek people know the Cuda but havent seen "Blanche"This vid was from a few years ago.
http://bangshift.com/blog/mike-crow-wins-small-block-naturally-aspirated-class-at-drag-week.html

Looking forword to seeing Blanche run Don. Do you know how many fox body Mustangs are signed up for SB/NA?
What are there at least five or six heavy hitters this year.

Attached picture 7314714-IMG_1887.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 07/31/12 05:00 AM

Dont know how Muscrats will be there.Some will be in with the new class McConnells Malibu will be in.I know SB/NA has you,Mike, Jakes Chevelle(9.70s) and possibly another DW veteran that runs low 11s.Mikes been fighting new car blues/Hope to test in the next week or two.Be nice to see a couple of 69 Darts on DW.My first car was a 69 T5 Swinger.Love them!!!

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/01/12 03:02 AM

I think i read somewhere that a 9 sec LSX powered Malibu and a fast Ford from Florida will be there also.
I am so looking forward to doing Dragweek this year, it has always sounded like it would be a blast to do. Also can`t wait give Jake a hard time about him being a Mopar guy at heart, only a Mopar guy would biuld a car as big as his to run that class.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/01/12 03:54 AM

For a Chevy Jakes car is impressive To still be in Tulsa on Friday is a win.I"thought" the LSX Malibu is in McConnells class.Id heard about the Florida Mustang.Might be another Mustang from Michigan in SB/Na Tim Peters I think is the guys name.He last went in 08 or 09.
Posted By: Hemi_Ram

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/01/12 04:02 AM

I think quickd100 has the ultimate sleeper. He has a 1960 D100 truck with a 850hp plus hemi in it. At cruise night last week the crowd gathered when he opened up the hood. Several people wanted to here it run and Dave fired it up. The guy next to me said " I just got my Hemi fix".

Attached picture 7315987-GetThumbjsessionidC524A7FE60286B02A.jpg

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/01/12 04:27 AM

Has Jake ever said how much money he has in that SB chevy, yes it is very impressive how many street motors get bolted to a spinatron? and yes Iam jealous I would like to to do that with my next motor, that huge cam has less seat pressure and less pressure over the nose than my tiny cam.

Attached picture 7316020-IMG_1882.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/01/12 05:40 AM

Hes never said but its alot.I saw pics of the short block and its impressive.After having gone on DW 4 times I see a trend of people building a car to last a week unfortunately.Crow went through the bottom end this year for the first time in 4-5 years and beleive me if its a nice day hes driving it.Larson is the same way.Not hating on anyone just an observation.Im just happy as heck to see more mopars.Especially 69 Darts.

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/02/12 01:04 AM

Yes Iam afraid I will get hooked on Dragweek and want to build a car just for that week. I do have a 72 Demon I could use.
By the way do you know any one looking for a nice 70 Challenger?

Attached picture 7317518-IMG_1133.JPG

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/02/12 01:58 AM

Yes I do.Message me info.May take me a day or 2 to let him know as his phone number is ulisted.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/02/12 05:52 PM

my truck is a sleeper for sure.

it's so slow, that most of you old farts would fall asleep before I cross the stripe!!
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/05/12 01:18 PM

Sounds like a jet plane. Don't know who owns it/ how it does at the track though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw

Re: So you think you have a sleeper - 08/05/12 01:40 PM

and we have take off.....wild
© 2024 Moparts Forums