Moparts

Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs

Posted By: shoebox

Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 04:12 PM

Ethier way will meet my goals. Whats the difference in weight?

SS springs (no snubber) VS cal tracs with the monos

What's the cost difference? "decent" shocks on ethier setup
(in that question I mean do you have to replace SS more often?)
Don't they lose ooomph after a while?
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 04:38 PM

I went from stock springs (not super stock) to Caltrac mono's. The Caltrac mono's are ~25#'s a piece if I recall correctly, and my stock springs were ~ 35#'s each...so I cut 20#'s off.

The super stock springs are heavier than stock springs, so the weight savings is substantial.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 05:12 PM

If you're considering both.... its a no brainer, go Calvert. They're lighter & they're adjustable.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 05:38 PM

Calvert for us slow guys and never look back...........
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Calvert for us slow guys and never look back...........

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 06:10 PM

I see the thump and cars like that-looking good!!! But the old school
Guys doing 1.30s on SS sure do get it done!!
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 06:29 PM

Don't sleep on SS's. I'm still tuning mine but I'm sure I will get some good 60' footers on SS's soon. Haevy they are for sure, but you should hear how heavy the Landrum springs are.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 07:37 PM

Quote:

I see the thump and cars like that-looking good!!! But the old school
Guys doing 1.30s on SS sure do get it done!!

Yep, i aint the smartest guy by far, but i had zero problems(after some minor tinkering) getting my 3350 pound s/s spring car with cheap 3 way shocks to hook anywhere and go mid 1.3xxx all the time, in the high 9's with very small 28 by 10 tires.

I say that because over the years i read thread after thread of caltrack posts where guys have a problem hooking, or should i try this or that, just to run high 9 's or slower. I find it kinda funny.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 07:44 PM

On an A body, read short front segment, the Cal Tracs are not as effective as when the are used on a longer front segment car. The B & E bodies as well as most Fords respond well to them over a regular leaf spring assembly.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 08:44 PM

Go Cal Tracs & Split Mono's & don't look back. If you are like the rest of us you will continue to go faster & faster & will eventually over power the S.S. springs. I have never seen any s.s. spring cars knocking on the door of 6 sec 1/4 mile e.t.'s. There are numerous Caltrac cars getting closer every day. In fact someone somewhere may have already done it. If you eventually go fast enough an anti-roll bar will help alot as well.

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 09:10 PM

If I'm not mistaken, a certain cat by the name of 572 has already gone high eights/low nines with SS springs while scraping the rear bumper.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 10:36 PM

There is a big price Difference, one reason i went with the SS springs, pick them up new/used for 175.00, and first time out on not a good track went 1.54 sixty
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 11:14 PM

How the hell do you go in the 1.30's with SS springs ? I cannot get decent numbers with mine !

Dan
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 11:17 PM

Quote:

How the hell do you go in the 1.30's with SS springs ? I cannot get decent numbers with mine !

Dan

With a LOT of work!

The front end is more important than the rear end in most cases.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/02/12 11:41 PM

i should be in the mid 1.3's next time out on ss 3900#car,driver.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 12:59 AM

Quote:

The front end is more important than the rear end in most cases.

Amen to that. My 340 Stocker goes mid 1.30's with SS springs.

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 02:10 AM

for me at this point i think i need to go SS due to cost and ease of initial setup. plus its the mopar thing to do! lol their a right of passage!
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 02:58 AM

I HAVE POSTED BEFORE WISH WE WOULD NEVER BOUGHT THEM , AND STAYED WITH THE SS SPRINGS!

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 03:22 AM

I like both. There's no question the tracs are fast but the fast SS guys
Sell me!
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 03:25 AM

my A body caltracs weight is 51# and the calvert mono springs weight 29# for the pairs. my SS springs weight is 80#/pair. did'nt save much weight on my car. best 60 with the SS spring was 1.59 with a pump gas 408 weighting 3300#. have'nt been to the track yet with the new set up but not expecting much improvement with caltracts.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 03:32 AM

Since I drive my 63 alot I wanted to keep it simple and cheap so I just went with SS springs and the longer C-body shocks. It has pulled a 1.50 best 60 so far going 10.70's. But my tires are about done so I might be able to tap high 1.40's with new tires. I believe I may 60 a bit better on caltracs but I dont think it would be enough to worry about. Ron
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 03:36 AM

For the money, the SS springs are hard to beat....

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 03:46 AM

My springs are the Mancini SS types that made with a better spring steel. The SS's now are off shore stuff and that's what they are, stuff.. The old Direct Connection SS springs are the ones to fetch if you can find 'em.
My friend has the old DC SS springs on his small Block A-Body and he can 60'ft in the low 150-140's in a real street car with ET street radials.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 09:33 AM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, a certain cat by the name of 572 has already gone high eights/low nines with SS springs while scraping the rear bumper.

I'm not sure if a certain Cat is using Caltracs now, perhaps he'll let us know.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 09:50 AM

I went from 002/003 ss spring and comp 3 ways to caltrac /split monos and strange adj shocks.I also loosen ther frt and and have 5-1/2in of travel and gained nothing same 60ft and et. The car does hook harder from video/pics but at least I have more adjustability.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 01:30 PM

Quote:

The SS's now are off shore stuff

Made in Mexico at Chrysler's one and only leaf spring plant, the same one that makes all the ram truck leaf springs, that every Dodge truck on the road has come with since the 1990s.

Prior to that, they were made at Chrysler's only leaf spring plant in Canada.

They were never made in USA including in the Direct Connection days, but at least they continue to be
North American sourced.

offshore, no.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 02:17 PM

Never had Cal-Tracs, but a set of SS prings on a 69' Barracuda w/ cheapo MOPAR shocks (rear) and Koni adjustables (front) went a best 1.28 (no snubber)......9in converter, about 4800 flash and footbrake at 3280# on an ATCO rent day.

Usual 60s were 1.30.
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 03:30 PM

Had CalTracs on the 69 Dart and it went 5.70's at 124 with a 1.26 60 foot on a 10.5 tire..

I just cannot handle the look of a 4wd sitting car with SS springs...
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 03:44 PM

my I went from SS spring to the cal-trac and I really was not looking for a world of difference from the get go. Its a 70 duster with a Dana 4.30 gears 383 stroker with -1 heads and dommy. with the SS springs it was all over the board, it would run 9.84, 9.89, 9.86, 9.91, now the 60ft where in the 1.29 to 1.32 range, could never get it right and we tried everything so in and effort to chase down what was happening I put the cal-tracs on it. With no other changes right off the trailer it went off and ran a 9.81,9.80, 9.81, and all the 60ft times where 1.30, 1.302,1.301 so I would say that they worked for me. I mean they didn't make the car 2 full seconds faster, Im still looking for the magic add on though...
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 04:25 PM

Though the ss springs work good they have 2 draw backs. They cannot be adjusted to make up for either track conditions or power of your combo so consequently consistency suffers. Caltracs offer more adjustability to tune in your car and combo. Plus you save a few lbs. Shock adjustment is very important.

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 06:04 PM

Quote:

my I went from SS spring to the cal-trac and I really was not looking for a world of difference from the get go. Its a 70 duster with a Dana 4.30 gears 383 stroker with -1 heads and dommy. with the SS springs it was all over the board, it would run 9.84, 9.89, 9.86, 9.91, now the 60ft where in the 1.29 to 1.32 range, could never get it right and we tried everything so in and effort to chase down what was happening I put the cal-tracs on it. With no other changes right off the trailer it went off and ran a 9.81,9.80, 9.81, and all the 60ft times where 1.30, 1.302,1.301 so I would say that they worked for me. I mean they didn't make the car 2 full seconds faster, Im still looking for the magic add on though...

Just curious.........how much does your car weigh and do you have a power adder cos your 60`s are awesome?

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just curious.........how much does your car weigh and do you have a power adder cos your 60`s are awesome?

Thanks Thumper No power adder just good old fashion DAD horsepower lol....

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 06:41 PM

Oh and with me in it the car rolls over the scales at 3420...

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

Oh and with me in it the car rolls over the scales at 3420...

DAMN.............

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 06:50 PM

I guess what I meant was that the metal being used these days is not what they used back when. The new springs lose there arch faster now and sag making for an inconsistent launch/stance type of car.
They may be made in Mexico, but I may bet that the material is from Asia or beyond.
My friends A-body using vintage new DC SS's is deadly consistent and hits hard, and its a 100% street cruiser with radio, full interior on a 10" tire and all.
He's taken many a door prize home at various track events. Too many trophies to stack up at the moment.
Some here may know him as Curtis Taylor from Brooklyn, but I know him as Glasses.

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 07:18 PM

I dont know but the SS springs that I used were from when my dad built the car in the early 70s. He got them from DC. so I dont think it was a metal problem, also they were the spare set so its not that they were bet on either. I still say the cal-tracs are hard to beat. the SS springs work no doubt thats not the problem its getting them to repeat. and do it again and again.....

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 07:27 PM

I don't want to have arch issues... Humm. Going to have to wait n see
At least you know what your getting from Calvert!

Re: Cal tracs VS. Superstock springs - 07/03/12 07:44 PM

True that, at least with the Cal's you know what you are getting and go at it from there, Their products are well sought out and all. With the SS's, you're kind of limited to NOS stuff or the custom springs. My friends car is deadly consistent every time out. IE:1.60-1.60-1.62.
Mine, well lets just say I have timing, carb issues that need to be ironed out. But I tell you one thing, my short times are within a hair of each other. IE: 1.65-1.64- 1.65 and when I get it sought out, It will be good and plenty. 10" tire by the way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums