Moparts

valve adjustment,how do you do yours?

Posted By: BigDog68Dart

valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 03:24 AM

Cold or Hot, by the mopar sticker,or do you have a more accurate way? what works best for you?
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 03:28 AM

Exhaust Opening Intake Closing method. I do them cold.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 04:02 AM

Quote:

Same here.... it just takes longer to do
Posted By: gj69charger

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 04:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Same method for me.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 04:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same method for me.

Me too, but the Mopar sticker also works, and it's twice as fast.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 04:38 AM

same here. i use a remote starter and can have all valves lashed within 20 min. start to finish. way faster than the mopar decal.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 06:33 AM

ICE-EOI here as well. IMO it is the most accurate way to go, ensures you are on the base circle of the lobe you are adjusting. Once you get used to it, it will go quickand you just go down the line.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 06:36 AM

Chris..
Posted By: moparniac

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 07:29 AM

EOIC and I have a bump button under the hood which makes it faster and easier IMO.... I set the valves using the mopar chart then went right back around using EOIC and I couldn't believe how much slop was in there vs EOIC
Posted By: tboomer

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 12:20 PM

Interesting thread as I am going to go thru mine. I think tere are a few guys that prefer the MP method. That may be easier for me...
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 12:31 PM

Cold and I pull the plugs out so I can turn the crank by hand going through the firing order. Anal Yes
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 01:20 PM

I use the Mopar decal because with an accurately marked damper I can set the valves on the same exact spot every time. This way you can keep records and notice if something is going wrong. If you use the other method you may not be at the same spot everytime.

BTW I looked at my cam while using the Mopar method and they are indeed on the base circle and I have a fairly radical mechanical roller.

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 01:30 PM

Also need to add that I set them cold initially then warm the engine. Set a couple cylinders then allow it to cool overnight. Then I go back and measure those cylinders and that is my cold lash number so I can adjust them all cold that way. Makes for less mess and no burns.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 01:31 PM

I use the mopar chart, set them cold... doesn't take long. Next time I might pull the plugs, turning it over by hand with the plugs in is a bieoutch. Is there any advantage in doing it one way over the other? I'm not really concerned about time. I figure it's a 2 beer event no matter.

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

I use the mopar chart, set them cold... doesn't take long. Next time I might pull the plugs, turning it over by hand with the plugs in is a bieoutch. Is there any advantage in doing it one way over the other? I'm not really concerned about time. I figure it's a 2 beer event no matter.

I think the advantage is as I stated above, you can set it accurately on the same spot everytime and keep records so you can notice any trends and spot a small problem before it becomes a big problem.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 02:08 PM

Quote:

EOIC and I have a bump button under the hood which makes it faster and easier IMO.... I set the valves using the mopar chart then went right back around using EOIC and I couldn't believe how much slop was in there vs EOIC

On larger duration cams I tried it both ways and
found the the EOIC was more accurate as well
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 02:18 PM

i agree with mike. i have consistantly found loose rocker arms/lash when double checking after using the mp method. never with the eoic method.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 04:07 PM

Exhaust Opening Intake Closing.This method may take a little longer but I want mine Right.After setting a intake & exhaust on each side Hot and finding out the correct setting on Cold,from then on I set them Cold.

I have also found out on Big cams it is Best to let the exhaust valve open about 1/2 way (instead of time it starts to move)and then set the intake.

PS I have also been told by a Big Time Mopar engine builder,all you need to do is get them with in a couple of .000 either way,at the Best all you can hope to pick up is a .001 or .002 and you are a Bracket Racer so why spend the extra time!
Well I may only be a Bracket Racer, and I don't know about you but I want every thousandth I can get out of my engine.

Double PS Topics like this are why I come on Moparts. There is always a chance someone else has a better way(Better not interested in Faster)of doing things that lead to what I call Free Horse-Power!

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

i agree with mike. i have consistantly found loose rocker arms/lash when double checking after using the mp method. never with the eoic method.

What I've noticed is there is adjacent lobe spring pressure when using that method. With stiff springs you are probably seeing cam and/or rocker shaft deflection, not actual lash slop.
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 06:16 PM

IOEC here as well. I have always lashed them cold too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 06:36 PM

Quote:

IOEC here as well. I have always lashed them cold too.

Me thinks that the Intake Opening, Exhaust closing is backwards I think you want to set the intake valve went he exhaust valve just starts to open amd then rotate the motor over until the intake valve opens all the way and starts to close (up to half way closed)and then set the exhaust valve lash Do this cold and then check two or three cylinders when warmed up to see what the differences are on your motor
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 07:50 PM

Quote:

Same here.

I did mine hot for the first time the engine ever ran. Then checked them cold. Have set them cold ever since.
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 08:40 PM

Setting Valve Lash

(The easy way)

I get many inquiries about setting lash and many times it seems this method confuses people needlessly. There are other methods, but this one has advantages:

1.1. No need to memorize firing orders ( you don’t even need to know what engine you are working on)
2.2. On most engines, doing one side at a time, you need to turn the engine very little to get to the next valve needing set.
3.3. Quicker than most methods.

Most other methods require you know the firing order, carry a little card to tell you “ find your glasses so you can read this card, put the exhaust valve on #1 on base, wiggle your nose, set #8 intake and # 2 Exhaust, turn the engine 37 degrees”, etc. Most require having both covers off and bouncing from side to side on the car, This is a waste of time , can allow the engine to cool off too much if you are not experienced, allows more chance of dirt in the open engine etc…

I suggest reading this in its entirety before starting.

REFER TO THE BELOW DIAGRAM WHILE READING THIS

The key to understanding this method and remembering it properly is understanding the above diagram. In any 4 cycle engine, the order of events is intake, compression, power, exhaust. This repeats over, so by writing out 2 cycles it becomes obvious that the exhaust valve will open before the intake. Also note that before the exhaust closes completely, the intake begins to open, creating a period of time in which both valves are open. Following that period, the intake opens and closes and then there is a period where both valves are closed. The bigger the cam, the shorter the last period becomes.

On to the method * the following is for solid lifter (flat or roller) cams:

1. Take the valve cover off the driver side after warming the engine up. (Most lash settings are hot measurements-if you adjust them too cold the lash will be too loose)
2. Roll the engine over until #1 Exhaust just starts to open- this insures you are on the front side of the lobe, NOT the overlap side, thereby insuring the intake is not open. At this point, you will adjust the intake lash on that cylinder.

3. Once you have adjusted the intake lash turn the engine until the exhaust opens all the way and closes, and the intake opens and is very nearly closed again. This insures you are on the back side of the intake lobe and the exhaust must be fully closed. The reason for stopping just shy of the intake fully closing is to make sure you don’t go too far and pass thru the both valves closed area and start back opening the exhaust. Adjust the Exhaust valve now.

4. Proceed to the next cylinder and repeat the process until that side is done. On many engines, Mopar and Chevy for example, you will notice you have to do very little turning with the exception of one cylinder on the passenger side- this saves much time and effort.

5. Once the driver’s side is done, proceed to the passenger side while your help reinstalls the driver’s side valve cover they cleaned while you were adjusting the valves…..If you are new at this you will likely need to restart and warm the engine between the driver and pass side adjustments- this is another reason to use this method rather than having both covers off.

To recap, on each cylinder, roll the engine until the exhaust just starts to open and adjust that cylinders intake. Then roll thru the exhaust completely opening and closing, the intake opening and just before it is closed, adjust the exhaust on that cylinder. Repeat until all cylinders are done.

Taken from Diamondback Racing engines Website
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/21/12 09:22 PM

exhaust starts to open do the intake. intake starts to close do the exaust. easy fast. been doing it that way for manly years.
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/22/12 02:13 AM

EOIC is quicker than any other method when you follow the firing order.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/22/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

exhaust starts to open do the intake. intake starts to close do the exaust. easy fast. been doing it that way for manly years.

Posted By: 64Post

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/22/12 03:40 AM

The 180º method:

Number 1 piston at Top Dead Center (TDC) on compression stroke.
Adjust intake valve on #2 and #7;exhaust valves #4 and #8.

Rotate crankshaft 180 degrees clockwise and adjust intake valve on #1 and #8;
exhaust valves #3 and #6.

Rotate crankshaft 180 degrees again (TDC) and adjust intake valves #3 and #4;
exhaust valves #5 and #7.

Rotate crankshaft again 180 degrees and adjust intake valves #5 and #6;
exhaust valves #1 and #2.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/22/12 06:59 PM

cold ----

i have the Mopar chart on the wall in front of the car.

Never had a problem .

Tried the other method --same result.

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/22/12 07:40 PM

Jebus, it's not that hard. I just put the decal on the firewall, problem solved.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/22/12 10:26 PM

The MP chart doesn't work well for the CompCams solid roller XR274 in my 496 stroker.
When setting lash, I've found after turning the crank 90° for the next valves, the previous valves have more lash then I adjusted them with. So I was def. not on the base of the cam with that chart.
It sometimes seems the valve numbers on the chart have shifted one row.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/25/12 03:40 AM

I have used both ways but with my roller I noticed the lash wasn't the same if I checked it right after with the other method. Loose if I set them with the MP chart and checked them with the IOEC. Tight if I reversed methods. It wasn't enough to hurt any thing, but I now use the IOEC method as I figure the MP method could not have been on the base circle. Beep
Posted By: Cudafied

Re: valve adjustment,how do you do yours? - 06/25/12 11:21 AM

I've been using the Direct Connection decal for over 20 years. I turn the engine over by hand and set 2 valves every 90deg cold. When ever I get a different grind I visually check the cam and lifter with intake/valley cover off using the decal and on my roller cams it has been right on the center of the base circle every time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums