Moparts

Lakewood bellhousings

Posted By: 73cuda340

Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 02:33 AM

How has everyone found the fit and alignment of the lakewood bellhousings for big blocks to be? I want to get one for my hemi but have heard many stories of them being out of alignment.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 02:45 AM

Quote:

How has everyone found the fit and alignment of the lakewood bellhousings for big blocks to be? I want to get one for my hemi but have heard many stories of them being out of alignment.

Thats what the offset dowel pins are for... you should
check it anyways for run out
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 02:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

how do you do that ?

Im looking for a 4 speed setup on my ROAD RUNNER
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

how do you do that ?

Im looking for a 4 speed setup on my ROAD RUNNER

Mount a dial indicator on the back of the crank and
indicate the inside of the hole for the trans...
slowly turn the crank around and see if it has run
out... you want like .003 or less if I remember that
number right
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 03:04 AM

The bore needs to be .008 TIR and the face should be within .006. I got my stock bellhousing to .002 in the bore TIR and .004 on the face. Get Rob MC's alignment dowels, dont mess with stock ones. The stock ones are a real pain to get out. Tim
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 03:23 AM

also, if you are going w/a new bell housing, it will be quicktime. Since lakewood bought quicktime I don't believe they sell the lakewood can anymore.
Posted By: CoreyWilson

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 03:32 AM

Not sure on the Mopar Quicktime bell, but fwiw, my clutch guy recommended I get a Lakewood asap while there were still some left with the NP435 truck trans pattern so I wouldn't have to drill the pattern in a car bellhousing. He said on the Ford trucks he's worked with it takes some work to get a dual disk clutch to work properly and a triple disk is almost impossible as the Quicktime is smaller.
Posted By: radar

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 07:32 PM

The spec is to get it within .005 because that's how much 'wiggle room' comes stock between the bell and dowels. On a lakewood you can snug a couple bolts and tap it around until it's perfect then weld up two tight ID washers on two of the opposite holes to permanantly locate it to the block. At least thats how I did mine- cheaper than offset dowels.

I Might get flamed for that haha

Good luck
Radar
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 07:36 PM

I had to use the dowels with the most offset to get it within spec
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 07:57 PM

If you have a 143-tooth flywheel then you'll need a Lakewood as Quicktime doesn't make one for that size.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/21/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

If you have a 143-tooth flywheel then you'll need a Lakewood as Quicktime doesn't make one for that size.

143 tooth wheels create problems with stock Hemi manifolds due to the starter being further out .

That's if one is to believe what they read on the internet ...

Just an FYI
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Lakewood bellhousings - 06/22/12 12:03 AM

This should help...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
© 2024 Moparts Forums