Moparts

Tricks for inflating large slicks?

Posted By: 64dodge572

Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 12:17 AM

Tires are 33.5-17-16 hoosiers. Mounting them not a problem but I cant remember having this much trouble inflating them before. Using a tire inflator also. Any tricks?

Thanks
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 12:29 AM

use a motorcycle type tie down (ratchet preferred) put it around the center of the tire and pull it up. what do you mean by tire inflator, are you talking about the milton type? you also want to take out the core if it's in there.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 12:34 AM

Quote:

Tires are 33.5-17-16 hoosiers. Mounting them not a problem but I cant remember having this much trouble inflating them before. Using a tire inflator also. Any tricks?

Thanks

Spray a bit of carb cleaner/brake cleaner in the
tire and spray a wick line onto the wheel...
light it that will blow the tire up onto the rim

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 12:42 AM

Quote:

use a motorcycle type tie down (ratchet preferred) put it around the center of the tire and pull it up. what do you mean by tire inflator, are you talking about the milton type? you also want to take out the core if it's in there.

Its a small air tank with a dump valve (bead cheata) is the name I think.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 01:00 AM

i'd go with jamesc idea or a cheeta air tank. don't use any flamable liquids. i have seen tires blow up by using this method. not very safe or smart.

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 01:08 AM

Quote:

i'd go with jamesc idea or a cheeta air tank. don't use any flamable liquids. i have seen tires blow up by using this method. not very safe or smart.

If you seen one blow up... the person was STUPID with
the fluid... doesnt take much... I've done it about
a dozen tires on all sorts of tires.... do what ya want
EDIT
I've used the strap and the bead cheater... if both
of those failed the fluid has ALWAYS worked
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 01:18 AM

Not that I am reccomending this but we used the either method all the time on tractor and farm tires when I ran a John Deere dealership. About the only way especially on some of the really wide turf tires.

A cheetah, or strap is a method we have used at the shop. Or a helper holding the tire close to the bead. Nevewr had an issue installing them but have had a cut a few off over the years.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 02:05 AM

Mr P Body, one of my son's friends almost lost his leg using that method on his dune buggy. Had done it many times before but that time it exploded.

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 02:09 AM

I got it guys. Thanks for the suggestions...It got me thinking. Used the cheeta and had dad hold the air hose on the valve stem. Set the wheel up on a 5 gal bucket so the bottom bead was against the wheel.

Thanks again.
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 02:11 AM

Ether, brake cleaner here as well.
Just did my brothers MT's a few weeks ago.

Been doing that method for 15 years. Little goes a long ways. Blowing one up is just stupid.

You can make your own cheetah out of a spare cheapo airtank, big ball valve and about 8-10" of exhaust pipe. $50 compared to $400 for a cheetah.

Good luck.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 02:14 AM

Any competent tire shop will have a tire machine that will include a bead expander. It's a large tubular ring with a bunch of air jets facing the tire bead area. One blast and the tire is bead seated.

Re: Tricks for inflating large slicks? - 06/07/12 02:14 AM

Quote:

Mr P Body, one of my son's friends almost lost his leg using that method on his dune buggy. Had done it many times before but that time it exploded.

Yep... he got STUPID with the fluid... if your concerned
about it... hit a SMALL hit in there with a wick line
and light it... then if it doesnt seat give it a bit
more... you dont spray a pile in it...its GONNA EXPLODE

© 2024 Moparts Forums