Moparts

Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way

Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:42 PM

to Monster Mopar this weekend:

Last night I was getting ready to hook up to my enclosed trailer/car hauler for a 600+ mile trip to St Loius tomorrow. Trailer probably weighs 10,000 lbs and I'm using a weight distribution hitch and a sway bar.

Every now an then when coming to a stop or cresting a hill I have heard and felt a pop from stinger moving/shifting as there is some play in the size of the receiver and the stinger which is normal so I've typically just ignored it as I've checked it in the past and everything was fine.

About 2 years after I bought my 2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins I did notice that the bolts that secure the hitch to the frame cross bar were loose so I tightened them and put some lock nuts and double nutted some so they wouldn't come loosen again.

So last night I wiggled the stinger just to check it and it was loose so I figured the bolts had come loose again so i proceeded to tighten them and just about the time I thought I was done I noticed that it still seemed loose and looked under the hitch and saw that the mounting tabs had broken!!!! So I was about 10 miles from loosing the trailer!!!

My neighbor is going to weld and brace it back up and it will be stronger than it was but now im thinking I need to replace the whole receiver system with one that is one solid piece, frame to frame and the receiver.

Here is a picture of where it broke. Has anyone else experience this?

I do a lot of towing with mine, pretty much ever time it comes out of the garage it has a 10,000 lb trailer behind it but this was a very close call.

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:48 PM

To be honest... I dont think thats a 10,000 pound hitch..
normally it goes out to the frame rails... but lucky
you check it all the time

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:53 PM

that's what I thought but it says right on it from Mopar 10,000 and 12,000 with Weight Distribution Hitch/system. It bolts on to the tubular cross memeber that bolts up to the frame rails on each side.

Here are pictures of the fixed/braced Hitch.

Attached picture 7238968-Hitch3.jpeg
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:54 PM

I did that with the factory class 3 hitch on my 95 Dually. One day it seemed to sway a little. So I checked the receiver and sure enough, one tab was totally off and another was about ready to be totally off. Went out and bought a class 5 hitch. End of story.

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:54 PM

another

Attached picture 7238970-Hitch4.jpeg

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:56 PM

Wouldn't catch me using that to tow 10K!!!

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Are you towing with a 2003 - 2008 Dodge 3/4 ton, take a look, I bet it's what your towing with.

But I agree, I would rather it be a 1 piece hitch.

I've been using this to two 10,000lb trailer since 2004, many many miles.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 07:59 PM

That's not near enough hitch for a 10K trailer, you have the proof in broken parts. Get a class 3 hitch. I would only use that hitch to pull my pop up camper.
Posted By: Red440

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 08:24 PM

Man, I Am sure glad you caught that before you may have had a serious accident.....
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 08:38 PM

Class 5 all the way and a solid stinger, not the open square tube. I wouldn't consider anything less with that much trailer weight.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 10:05 PM

I am towing with a 04 3500 and the hitch looks nothing like that. To be honest I dont think I have ever seen one like that.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 10:06 PM

I had that and I replaced it with a class 5 hitch, the type that goes to both side frames and bolts on in 3 different places per side. They are not that expensive and Your Insurance may not cover your trailer and car if that heavy trailer breaks loose on that light weight hitch. Wade we want you to be able to get there in one piece.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 10:07 PM

That hitch is rated a 12,000 lbs. with weight distr. equip. on the trailer by Chrysler.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 10:15 PM

My 03 2500 looked like that. I bought one off E-bay from a 04 3500 that went to the frame.

Dennis
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 11:02 PM

that hitch you have there Wade, is the same thats on my 2004 1/2 dodge ram..I need to check mine now too....

glad you caught it in time..have you ever weighed your trailer loaded ? would be a good Idea..
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/06/12 11:03 PM

Wow, I have an 03 2500....

Going to check that out right now.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 12:41 AM

I don't think you're supposed to weld on those hitches.. Heat treating I think..

That hitch is mislabeled.. I'd never use that hitch for that weight.

Chris..
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 12:45 AM

Nope no way I have had a 2004 Ram 2500,a 2005 Ram 3500 and a 2006 Ram 3500 and none of them had that little thing.
They all had factory tow package and all had a real hitch that went from frame to frame.
You have been real LUCKY
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 01:03 AM

Mine looks nothing like that,,mine is frame to frame,,and sturdy,,,,2007 ram 2500 w/ tow package,,,,
Glad your ok,,,,,

I would upgrade for sure,,,,I would be nervous towing with that,,,,

See ya at st Louis

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 01:04 AM

I couldn't see your pic at work but now that I'm home that little dinky thing you have there looks like the hitches we added on to trucks that didn't have a tow pkg from the factory and they only went on 1/2 tons. I wouldn't pull more than 2500 pounds with that thing.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 01:21 AM

Its hard to identify.. but I just took a pic of my stock hitch on the 06 2500 Ram..

It has a large round pipe running from frame rail to frame rail.. and the actual hitch is welded to it..

Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 01:23 AM

I have the same hitch as jeepmom
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you towing with a 2003 - 2008 Dodge 3/4 ton, take a look, I bet it's what your towing with.

You made me go look at my 08 2500 Ram.

The hitch is welded to the tubular piece that bolts to the frame on mine. I have the factory towing package with a Cummins 6.7 FWIW

Glad you found it before it was too late.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 02:06 AM

Well I work at the dodge dealer and what he has is a add on at the dealership. I have put a flew of them on and I thought they was rated for 5000lb. no way I would pull my 10000lb trailer with it !

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 02:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No I have a '95 3500. Class 5 hitch. No possible way for flex or anything with that piece. The outsides of the receiver rest against the spring perches. It was a tight fit between them. Also added an extra metal brace on each side that was supplied in the hitch kit.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 03:11 AM

95 to 03.... apple, meet orange. There is so much differance between those two builds we might as well have someone throw an opinion of a toyota in too for the mix.
Posted By: challengermike

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 03:27 AM

I have had both the bolt on and the one piece hitches. The only difference i see is the one is welded on every where the other one bolts. The pic in the first post just shows the part that would bolt on if it didnt have a factory hitch. The big round tube that goes from frame rail to frame rail is on all the rams trailer package or not. I dont know what tow rating is but i dont think they are rated for 10k, i thought it was around 5k and with a weight distrubtion hitch it was 7,5k.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 03:38 AM

towing weight didn't do that, tongue weight did. trailers need to be scaled and set up properly.

But that over the counter dodge bolt on hitch you had was the same as i added to my 1/2 ton daytona and it was only rated at 5K towing with a 500 lb tongue weight.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 03:50 AM

Here is what was added to your truck from the dealer:

https://www.dodgeparts.com/product_info....122f3659cc43726

Hitch 2003-2008 (Part Number-82207911AB)

Click to enlarge
Designed as a one-piece welded assembly for added strength, Mopar's Hitch Receivers match your vehicle's towing capacity. Covered with two-layered E-coated paint finish to resist rust. Features a 5,000-lb tow rating, 500-lb tongue weight rating, 2.0" opening

Note: (for trucks built After November 2002 Check your door sticker for the build date . Hitch for 2003 built before november 2002 is listed on the site as 2002 .Not for SRT-10)

Fits Model: Ram Truck
Fits Model Year(s): 2003-2008
Price: $123.60

Current Reviews: 7

This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 31 December, 2002.

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 04:06 AM

You are right, mine was added at the dealership but the sticker on it out of the Mopar box said 1,200 tongue and 12,000 tow capacit, I'll shoot a picture of it tomorrow.

Rt66jim works as a doge dealership as a parts manager and had him look it up for me in case i couldn't get mine fixed and he found the part number and verified
It was rated at 1,200 and 12,000lbs WDH.

But I agree with you guys, I'll be ordering a real class V hitch when I get back. I'm heading out tomorrow for Monster Mopar at 7am or I would do it this weekend. I feel confident that it will make this trip, repaired and braced so better than it was and it has lasted 155,000 miles and a lot of those were towing my trailer.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 04:29 AM

I have the same "hitch" on my 2002 Ram quad cab.It's a Draw Tite and says I can tow 10K with it.I only have 5500# loaded,I tow the Demon and a open trailer but I think I'll switch the hitch.I have been using it for 10 years now with no problem.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 04:55 PM

Wade, the factory cross tube on your truck in NOT intended to be removed. Your truck has the "dealer" installed hitch, where they just bolt up the center section rather than welding it at the factory.

The center section can be removed to install a B&W unit or Torklift SuperHitch.

Here's some links for you to look at BEFORE you remove your factory hitch.

I have the Torklift SuperHitch installed with the Dodge "Factory" hitch on my 03 Dually.

http://www.towshop.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8&idcategory=2

http://www.towshop.com/bw-25211-hitch-install.pdf

http://www.towshop.com/D1101-superhitch-installation-instructions.pdf
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 07:48 PM

The rear frame rails and the crosstube on all RAM TRUCKS from 2002(DR mdl) and up. Have hydro formed frame rails and are not to be welded on as per Chrysler.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 06/07/12 08:21 PM

Quote:

Same setup as my 2003 2500
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Close call, almost lost my trailer and Cuda on the way - 07/14/12 06:38 PM

Just got a good look at mine. Same rig and there are several places around the reciever that are not welded that could have been to make it stronger. I'll be working mine over!
© 2024 Moparts Forums