Moparts

Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels

Posted By: cagebob1

Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/06/12 02:55 PM

Who is using them on a race car? what do you like? dislike? I know what the rule book says, but at what point do you feel the need for the more expensive SFI spec wheels?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/06/12 09:18 PM

I love em and now they come in black..............wish I would of known................
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/06/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Who is using them on a race car? what do you like? dislike? I know what the rule book says, but at what point do you feel the need for the more expensive SFI spec wheels?

I have them on my car...its not that fast at 10.20's and 3800 pounds on drag radials.mostly street use with 5/8 studs a spool metal valve stems and wheel screws in the rear. Hoping they go faster in the near future! Only bad part was clearance in the rear for wilwood disc but changed the bacspace to 4.5 instead of 5.5 when building the rear end.

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/06/12 10:04 PM

Quote:

I love em and now they come in black..............wish I would of known................

You could always powdercoat them

Posted By: moparniac

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/06/12 11:29 PM

You lowered that didn't you!
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/07/12 01:05 AM

I have them on my street/strip 69 Dart and love them. They are SFI 15.1 approved as well. Debating on having the rears beadlocked by MacFab Beadlocks w/ black rings.

Mike Gray

Attached picture 7239419-DSC00773.JPG

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/07/12 03:45 PM

Quote:

You lowered that didn't you!

Maybe 1.5 inches in the rear.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/08/12 11:58 AM

Quote:

I have them on my street/strip 69 Dart and love them. They are SFI 15.1 approved as well. Debating on having the rears beadlocked by MacFab Beadlocks w/ black rings.

Mike Gray

Looks GOOOOOOD
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 06:51 PM

Quote:

I have a set on my car. Fronts are 3.5" wide. About 3 weeks ago, I had a front rim crack on the way to a buddies house. Called jegs and replaced rim. Fast forward to today, was driving around this morning and the other cracked. Now I know the first failure was not a freak thing. Will call on Monday and see how they respond.

BTW - These come with an SFI approval sticker. and appears to have no limitations and street use.

Allan G.

Attached picture 7243050-Buick255A.jpg

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 06:53 PM

Another of the temp repair.

Allan G.

Attached picture 7243051-Buick258A.jpg

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 07:02 PM

WOW ... Has anybody else had this happen? to any brand of wheel? I don't remember of ever hearing about anything like this in a race or street wheel. Is this extremely unusual? or have I been living in a cave?
Posted By: barracudabob

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 07:24 PM

I'll have to check mine...

Attached picture 7243087-May28,2011testandtune.jpg
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 07:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You could always powdercoat them

x2 I am thinking about doing it! best looking 67 coronet around IMO!

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 07:42 PM

Quote:

WOW ... Has anybody else had this happen? to any brand of wheel? I don't remember of ever hearing about anything like this in a race or street wheel. Is this extremely unusual? or have I been living in a cave?

Just to be clear, The new replacement wheel didn't crack(Yet). When the first wheel cracked about 3 weeks ago, I thought it was a freak failure, or maybe drove over a pothole. Then the other wheel failed this morning and know for sure I didn't drive over anything.

Allan G.

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 07:46 PM

Quote:

I'll have to check mine...

Problem is, it crackes without warning and starts looses air quickly.

Allan G.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/09/12 09:02 PM

I put them on my old 69 Dart and loved them.

Attached picture 7243188-100_2545.jpg

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/10/12 06:38 PM

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a set of these for the car I'm building...but now I'm going to re-consider. Has anyone ever had a similar problem with a Pro Star? I've had the ones on my cuda for many years without a single problem. I was just looking for something different for the new car

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/10/12 06:57 PM

Quote:

I have not, I have bought two sets, my first set ended up on the Duster which is street driven a lot then when I mini tubbed mine I bought another set. My fronts come off of the ground at the track and Mississippi roads are not very smooth in some places.

Keep us posted on what Billet Specialties says. Hopefully it was just a bad run of material.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/10/12 06:59 PM

center line makes one that is close.

Attached picture 7244465-184-721wheel.jpg

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/10/12 08:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have not, I have bought two sets, my first set ended up on the Duster which is street driven a lot then when I mini tubbed mine I bought another set. My fronts come off of the ground at the track and Mississippi roads are not very smooth in some places.

Keep us posted on what Billet Specialties says. Hopefully it was just a bad run of material.

The ones I broke are about 4 years old but with very little street driving. I'm hoping to here that it was an issue on the first released and maybe the newer ones won't do this.

Allan G.

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 01:02 AM

Would the fact that even 1 person had 2 wheels crack be reason enough for you to look for a different style of wheel? was it a freak failure? or a sign of a design flaw?
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 01:50 AM

Quote:

center line makes one that is close.

Centerline makes the centers for Billet Specialties..

That's why they look similar, they are just opposite in design.

But the outer rim part could be made by anybody..

Chris..

Attached picture 7249406-CenterlineQualifier.jpg
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a set on my car. Fronts are 3.5" wide. About 3 weeks ago, I had a front rim crack on the way to a buddies house. Called jegs and replaced rim. Fast forward to today, was driving around this morning and the other cracked. Now I know the first failure was not a freak thing. Will call on Monday and see how they respond.

BTW - These come with an SFI approval sticker. and appears to have no limitations and street use.

Allan G.

I posted on Moparts 3-5 yrs ago that guys I know were experiencing cracks on these wheels and people thought I was crazy. I remember posting it when board member ProSport was asking about them before he installed them on his purple Dart. I had some on a Mustang notch; guess what? they cracked to.......but mine were cracking near the lug holes, as were others.

Wes
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 02:05 AM

Quote:

I posted on Moparts 3-5 yrs ago that guys I know were experiencing cracks on these wheels and people thought I was crazy. I remember posting it when board member ProSport was asking about them before he installed them on his purple Dart. I had some on a Mustang notch; guess what? they cracked to.......but mine were cracking near the lug holes, as were others.

Wes

Good to know.

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 03:38 AM

Billet Specialties asked me to send them back for evaluation. Apparently they want to inspect for abuse and/or road damage before they offer to replace them. I have not asked them if they implemented any design improvements to prevenbt this from happening again. I want to wait to have the new rims in hand before I unleash. I will update and keep everyone posted when I recieve more info. This is a huge safety concern for me and should be for everyone else.

FWIW - My rims are about 4 years old and out of the warrantee period. The car spent most of the last 4 years in storage and being painted. Very little run time on these rims.

Allan G.

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 03:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Allan G.

Wes

This is about the same vintage of my wheels.

Allan G.

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 03:51 AM

Well, I've seen enough to convince me to not buy a used set of these wheels . How about some opinions about buying a new set? These will be going on a lightweight tube chassis race only vehicle, if that matters.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 07:54 AM

got the centrelines on my satellite

Tex

Attached picture 7249730-DOTD2012.jpg
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 08:07 AM

I love the styling too bad their cracking
Posted By: BradH

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 03:24 PM

I've heard stories over the years of 3.5-4.0" front rims of other brands cracking on the street, too. I even had a set of Weld 15 x 3.5 that I switched to 15 x 5 due to that concern. Perhaps running rims that skinny on the street simply isn't a good idea...
Posted By: bobbyb

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 03:24 PM

I was thinking about getting the Billets for my Roadrunner, but since Centerline has a simular set I'll go with them.
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 05:29 PM

Centerline Split Spoke style on my Dart

Attached picture 7250098-user562_pic1252_1279166199.jpg
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 05:29 PM

another

Attached picture 7250100-Picture%20015.jpg

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 06:33 PM

Quote:

I've heard stories over the years of 3.5-4.0" front rims of other brands cracking on the street, too. I even had a set of Weld 15 x 3.5 that I switched to 15 x 5 due to that concern. Perhaps running rims that skinny on the street simply isn't a good idea...

I've run Weld wheels of the same size for much longer without issues.

Allan G.
Posted By: W9 Dart

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 08:42 PM

I have them on my Dart and love them.. I might get another set but this time in black and use them for racing.

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 08:57 PM

I really like the look of them. I'm just concerned about the safety hazzard of a cracked/cracking wheel on a race car while at speed.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 09:09 PM

I've got probably 400 passes and a few thousand street miles on my billet specialties without issue. I've driven the car to work everyday this week FWIW.
Posted By: galen

Re: Billet Specialties Street Lite wheels - 06/14/12 09:10 PM

Two years and over 1500 street miles on mine, no issues.

Attached picture 7250336-0524121047(1).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums