Moparts

motor rotation?

Posted By: Lew

motor rotation? - 05/28/12 01:03 PM

standing in front of motor what direction does crank turn? on LA motor, motor on stand and my brain quit on me and i can't remember :-/.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 01:12 PM

All you have to do is look at the damper... the timing
marks are BEFORE TDC... so it rotates to the 0

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 01:18 PM

Damper not on, doing rotation check on lifters, bare block.
Posted By: mcduff

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 01:22 PM

clockwise
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 01:59 PM

Put a ratchet on the crank nose (front),
Set the ratchet to tighten (righty tighty),
That will turn the engine in the normal rotation direction.

This is clockwise when standing in front of the motor, looking aft (looking at the motor).

If you hold the damper in your hand, oriented like you are going to slip it on the front of the crank, you will see turning it in the above direction will have the TDC mark on the damper approach the mark on the timing cover from left. Like Mike said, the zero mark on the damper will reach the timing mark (30 deg) on the cover before it reaches the zero mark (TDC) on the cover.

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 03:02 PM

Thanks for the repleys, rotation of lifters checked out great! Can already hear it rumble :-)
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 03:06 PM

I've been messin with cars for 40+ years the only engines I have seen that turn the "wrong" direction are some marine engines.
But I could be wrong........................
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 05:36 PM

Yea, some marine engines and some Russian block airplane piston engines. A twin engine boat can have one rotate normal and the other reverse.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 06:45 PM

Some Hondas too. Just about all autos are clockwise from the front of the crank.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 06:51 PM

Corvair
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: motor rotation? - 05/28/12 08:51 PM

Typical automotive motor is LH rotation, the reverse Marine motors are RH.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: motor rotation? - 05/29/12 05:27 PM

Quote:

Corvair

IIRC, the corvair also spins Clockwise IF you are looking at the front of the crank (pulley end, not the power end). It's location in the car is what changes this, just like a bug or rear porch.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: motor rotation? - 05/29/12 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Corvair

IIRC, the corvair also spins Clockwise IF you are looking at the front of the crank (pulley end, not the power end). It's location in the car is what changes this, just like a bug or rear porch.

Yep... loved my 62 Corvair 140 turbo 4 speed
© 2024 Moparts Forums