Moparts

Towing w/ Diesel motorhome

Posted By: 65 Hemi

Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 03:08 AM

Who tows enclosed with a diesel motor home? Who tows with a toter and which is better? Motor home or Pusher?
I may tow 5-7 times per years.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 03:56 AM

Like you mine sees little use.A toter was too cramped I have a Funmover 35C on F650 super duty chassis 5.9 Cummins powered.
Sleeps 5 or 6 full bath ,one slide,there's a lift gate and 10" garage out back. Now I can load my Harley on out of town race trips and see new sights . Very nice on the road plus I added a Toad and you would never know there was a trailer behind it.

Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 04:06 AM

I bought a Holiday Rambler 38' Diesel Pusher in January.
It has a 330 CAT and pulls my 24 enclosed without a problem.
Towed to Richmond last month and ran 65 most of the way, lose a little on hills but not to much.
Just got back from Bowling Green, KY towing about 10K, down to 40 on 7% grades but I dought my dually would do much better, passed 18 wheelers on every hill! I don't know why I waited so long.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 05:54 AM

I have an 04 Fleetwood Discovery diesel pusher and tow a 28' cargomate trailer that is loaded with tools, spares and a golf cart. Lots of hills out here n the west and I have no complaints. More power would be nice but it does well. My advice is buy the most power and number of slides you can, we have four. The power is obvious the more slides make staying in it less cramped. Here is our rig. next up is a stacker.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 12:47 PM

I pulled a 49' goose with a TAD and 2 spare engines,2 spare trans and hundreds of clutch disc. Lot's of tools, 100 gals fresh water, engine changer and tons of other stuff. My dually would not do it, it messed with the computer on my dually it was so heavy.

300 HP is not enough imo for a big truck or RV to pull a trailer.

So I bought this used with 4400 miles on it in 2002.
FL112 cab which allows the big engines, It has a special order RV C-12 Cat with 505 HP and a double over drive full auto trans. It's a dream to drive with ton's of power and get's better fuel mileage than my dually got. 200 gals fuel =1700 miles.
It's a 16' box which is big enough for 2 of us. It has everything that a RV has including 125 gals of fresh water and 2 holding tanks to match.8KW diesel genset, the works. We have stayed in it for up to 2 weeks at a time.

I can take it anywhere, any parking lot, any campground with my open trailer. Can't do that with a large enclosed trailer.

If I was not going to pull a trailer then a diesel pusher would be my choice for sure, motor in the back for sure. Just I would hate to only have 330 HP, that ain't sh!t after your used to 505HP.

Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 01:33 PM

Quote:

Who tows enclosed with a diesel motor home? Who tows with a toter and which is better? Motor home or Pusher?
I may tow 5-7 times per years.

Although I sold mine when the economy went south I absolutely loved having it. It was a 2004 Fleetwood Expedition, hard to find 34' 2 slides and a 300hp Cummins. Pretty much a house on wheels. Nice having a stocked refridgerator, 8kw diesel generator, clean bathroom and all the comforts of home. My advice, buy as much M/H as you can afford. Keep in mind DOT is gonna start busting the Big "white" rigs, ie, toterhomes very soon. In fact, they already have. IMO, some guys are just pushing the limits a little too far.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 02:52 PM

Fred,

You really take racing in comfort to the next level...

I thought I was a little off for looking at Dodge 4500 cab and chassis' trucks when my old dually fell apart. I remember wanting a SRW option with the 19.5's and a built in brake controller, but to no avail. You take this to about 10 levels past that...
Posted By: Lee

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/21/12 04:10 PM

I tow a 28 foot tag with a 04 Monaco Dynasty, 42 foot with a 400 hp Cummins and a tag axle. I almost made the mistake with buying a toter motorhome. Just remember if it looks like a truck it will ride and sound like a truck. My motor is 40 feet behind me going down the road. (Can here a pin drop at 65 mph) Has a ten air bag suspension. When sleeping my generator is 40 feet away from me. I tow just about every weekend in the summer. Go to the races and ask around.

Lee
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/23/12 02:29 AM

I have 1993 29' Fleetwood Bounder Diesel Pusher and its the absolute best thing I have ever bought for racing. You couldn't touch a Diesel truck with 50,000 miles for what I picked this thing up for. That being said its rated at 350HP and the governor kicks in at 2500RPM so top speed is about 65 MPH on the freeway. It tows great and stops great just don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/23/12 03:05 AM

Quote:

Fred,

You really take racing in comfort to the next level...

I thought I was a little off for looking at Dodge 4500 cab and chassis' trucks when my old dually fell apart. I remember wanting a SRW option with the 19.5's and a built in brake controller, but to no avail. You take this to about 10 levels past that...

It fit my plans to get a stacker forf Duster and Cuda ,toss my Harley in the back and go on the road. No need to return home on Sunday night when I can go to a new area where I never raced for the following week.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/23/12 01:38 PM

We have an 02 Journey DL 40' with a 330 Cat. Tows real nice and gets around 9mpg. Buyers market right now for older diesel pushers. Be aware also that the word is that they are going to come down on toter type haulers. MH may be next. As our rig sits it is over length in all the states we travel. Class racer has a thread about rigs getting pulled over at the entrance to the track for last weeks NHRA National event.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/23/12 02:44 PM

Where is that thread?? I believe the length limit in Louisiana is 75 feet.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Towing w/ Diesel motorhome - 05/24/12 12:35 AM

I recently bought a 1996 Safari Serengeti. Has a Cat with a Allison trans. Haven't towed with it yet but I'm looking forward to using it to go to the track. Of course all this overlenth stuff hit the fan as soon as I get one. I'll get a shorter trailer or just use my open trailer.

Looking forward to it anyway
© 2024 Moparts Forums