Moparts

I lost first round but they knew i was there!

Posted By: 572_dup2

I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 04:50 AM

Going to make some changes to help my effort. Im gunna get some round wins yet! I was the 3rd in the right lane an no pulled beside me until the lane was full!! No of them wanted to take a chance losing to me!

Attached picture 7213056-staginglanes.jpg
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 05:04 AM

Could you run the number in the heat?

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 05:20 AM

It really wasnt hot. Had 1.28 60'. Most of the time when it does that it will go 8.93 - 8.96. It was the 20-30 dead on head wind that wiped it out. 9.05 147.

Attached picture 7213089-hpt.jpg
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 12:17 PM

Posted By: tboomer

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 02:33 PM

Quote:

I really hope you are just trying to be funny.To try and race a divisional or national event in super comp with no trans brake or box is called first round duck meat.Good luck. Why would you even say something like that? I respect the fact that Shawn is out there trying to compete with what he has...I hope he turns on a few win lights to prove everyone wrong!!
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I really hope you are just trying to be funny.To try and race a divisional or national event in super comp with no trans brake or box is called first round duck meat.Good luck.

Why would you even say something like that? I respect the fact that Shawn is out there trying to compete with what he has...I hope he turns on a few win lights to prove everyone wrong!!

fixed it Ted and I agree....

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 02:57 PM

I havent won a round yet so that must means i gotta try harder. Going to a division 4 race next month. Still may not get the win light but it aint gunna slow me down.

Attached picture 7213366-inthelane.jpg
Posted By: dc426

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:04 PM

Shawn it's cool that you are there trying but I have to agree with 408dust. No electronics, no wins. Those pipe racks at that level are dead on almost everytime.....But I do wish you luck!
DC
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:12 PM

Quote:

I havent won a round yet so that must means i gotta try harder. Going to a division 4 race next month. Still may not get the win light but it aint gunna slow me down.

LOL, that photo looks like you are in the wrong lane! I am sure you have a lot of folks pulling for the door car.

Good Luck and Good Times!

Bill
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:13 PM

Good luck and have fun
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:15 PM

where are they catching you...sounds dumb, how close to the end..

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:26 PM

First run friday went 8.99 Didnt want to stand it in the air so i had front end pretty tight. Looking back prob should have let it do what it wanted. Without a doubt they can put together a tight package. Im going to change things that will help me out.

Attached picture 7213395-inside.jpg

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:31 PM

Quote:

where are they catching you...sounds dumb, how close to the end..

I really dont know? I dont hear anyone else an cant turn my head much becouse of Hans. I know that sounds dumb but thats just it.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:34 PM

A 8.90 is a 8.90 it matters not if its a dragster or door-car,same as a good light is a good light it matters not if its foot-braking or trans brake!
Shawn this is a little trick I learned driving Hamps 6.0 car that we had a hard time just getting it to run a 6.0,when you get about 60' from the finish line and they are on-off the throttle playing cat-mouse with you tap the brakes just hard enough to make the front end nose down never lifting off the throttle you'll get them round wins.

PS Do if even if you can not see them,because they more than likely are watching you and make their decision based on what they think you are trying to do.

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 03:46 PM

The best light i can cut on a .400 tree is 200. Ive still using 29 moroso. I have a set of 26 goodyear ill be putting on. I stage very light. It takes time to get my foot of the brake an mash the peddle. Then gotta get 3500 lbs of leaf spring to move. Im sending tranny back to John going to put a brake in. Ill do these things next see how it works.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 05:31 PM

Sean, Glad to hear you are out there giving it a try. Keep at it and keep making changes.

I have to agree you will need to make some changes to go some rounds as you have already found out. Trust me when I say most of the other guys in the class will know how you have run. The run sheets are available and anyone serious about racing at this level will know who is in the other lane. If nothing more than how close they are on the number, thier MPH, and how well you hit the tree.

As for the tapping the brake comment, at this level until you can drill the tree and come closer to the number, that aint gonna help. Just saying, not trying to be an a$$. Just trying to help. YOu are going to have to get a lot closer on the tree to even have a shot at winning rounds.

This.90 racing is tough enough when you can hit the tree and drill the number.

Keep at it. SOunds like you are making some needed changes. If you cannot see the opponent because of the Hans then you need to get some good mirrors and learn how to use them. You will have to learn to race the stripe when you get the car where it needs to be. It is not as simple as being good on the tree and running then number. UNless you can be perfect at both each and every pass. If you leave .003 on the board trust me in .90 racing amny of these guys can and will find a way in that.

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 07:04 PM

Thanks Al. I can loosen straps an i was thinking of having a smaller window made its kinda in the way too. Im will to make changes just wasnt sure where to begin. I learned alot im gunna work harder to get there.

Attached picture 7213639-meattopeka.jpg
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 07:25 PM

Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 09:15 PM

Al,You would be surprised just how well that works on the index racing,when you have someone in the other lane than can run even a tenth under the index.Most are running along beside you and plan on just taking enough stripe to win,that's why I said do it around 60' or less from the stripe if they see the nose of the car drop they will be off the throttle and on the brakes and with you wide open never lifting when you tap the brakes that does not give them enough time to get back on the throttle and take the stripe. You can Win a race every now and then with a good car & good driving but it also takes a little Luck and if you want to Win often you have to learn how to make your own Luck. Only trying to help my fellow Mopar racers out,and I would never suggest any thing unless I had 1st tried it myself to make sure it worked.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 10:20 PM

Ummmm...A possible 8.93 with a .200 light you can do whatever you want at 60' before the stripe but at that point your opponent is already by you, well by you.

Sean is out there taking a swing he deserves all the credit in the world for that. He is learning alot and I give hime credit for that as well. Also he is willing to make the changes to become more competitive with the car. But lets be serious here playing games at the MPH cone with the currect set up is going to do nothing.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/20/12 11:59 PM

Looks to me like he is having the time of his life. Give 'em hell Shawn!
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 01:02 AM

Running an NHRA event is always BIG fun. I've run S/G before and it's tough to run 9.90 without the box and transbrake. I come closest starting in 3rd gear, no shift...no wheelspin...even went a couple of rounds. Nice also to show off Granny's car. Everyone runs to see the 64 cars. Pic of Rick Johnson getting a grade point and trying to set the National Record in S/G.

Attached picture 7214035-mopar_resize2.jpg
Posted By: MFR426

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 01:04 AM

Shawn.
You are fighting a tuff fight but hang in there! A few years ago when we had our 65 Dodge NSS still together, I decided to try the Super Street thing since my nephew has been doing it for many years with all the electronics and I wanted to go with them. We controlled the 10.90 with adding the right weight to slow it down as we do for NSS. Yes I had my share of first round exits, but then I went 3 rounds at one Divisional and won my first round at my very first National event with a footbreak NSS car with 2 carbs and I was in my 50's! Oh yes, I took out the Div. IV points leader in that first round! You have it much tuffer with the .400 tree over the .500 tree but hope this gives you some encouragement! Good Luck and go gettum!!

MFR426

Attached picture 7214041-001(3).jpg

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 02:24 AM

Good thing about sucking so bad is it can only get better. Alot of these racers seen me at division race month ago. They know I've got to get better that's why they didn't pull beside me. Nobody wants to lose to a Dodge!
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 02:32 AM

Been a long time since we talked, Shawn. I think it's pretty freakin' cool you are determined enough and working hard to become competitive in that class. Best of luck to you man......

Wes
Posted By: sam64

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 02:56 AM

i say kudos to you,you would have been 8.90 easy today,cooler temps and a tail wind.keep up the fight it will pay off.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 03:07 AM

I LOVE when you beat up on those dragsters & altereds that weigh 1000 lbs lighter than you

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 03:18 AM

Yep having fun!

Attached picture 7214398-tower.jpg
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: I lost first round but they knew i was there! - 05/21/12 03:20 AM

Good try out there You will need to pick it up in the lights as everyone has said. I'll be looking in from time to time to see how you’re doing. I've tried the .400 tree best I could get .034 with .001 in the box. You're certainly taking on a tough class. Keep trying and good luck to you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums