Moparts

LSR anyone?

Posted By: TrWaters

LSR anyone? - 05/16/12 01:46 PM

This topic doesnt come up very often on Moparts, but I figured I would post. This is my friend/customer Andre Moreau's n/a early hemi powered Studebaker which he ran a week or so ago in Ohio. Even with crappy weather, he ran his best 1 mile speed of 170.

Attached picture 7208356-andre.jpg
Posted By: bcrproducts

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/16/12 03:48 PM

Now you don't see that every day.

Very cool ride and obviously very fast.
Any other underhood pics etc??
Posted By: drag345

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 12:06 AM

Yes more Pics if you have them please
Thank for sharing
drag345

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 12:50 AM

Andre is from Quebec, and has run the car at Wilmington, Maxton, Loring, and Bonneville. He is still working on engine combinations. I just sent him some parts last week for another 392 based engine. The car ran 183 at Bonneville last year. He has only been doing this a couple years.

Attached picture 7209062-andreunderhood.jpg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 02:18 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: dezduster

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 04:51 AM

You dont see that on moparts often for sure. Super clean car, fast and very cool
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 05:31 AM

The two guys that crew with me on the 23 built a bucket list Bonneville car out of an old Nationwide car,got to go with them in 2010 and we were pitted next to Andre and his wife, absolutely super nice people and a beautiful car to boot, was tickled to see it was an early Hemi.

Attached picture 7209460-P1010051.JPG
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 05:43 AM

I have been building a LSR 62 Plymouth station wagon on and off for about 3 years now. Just so happens that the new LSR track in Ohio is within 50 miles of my place. Hope to race next year.

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 12:17 PM

Yes, they are two of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 01:10 PM

always loved those early Stude's...and with an early HEMI knocking on 200mph, what else can ya ask for..

I always wanted to build a car for LSR attempts..
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 03:34 PM

WoW! What a very cool car. I have always loved the early Studes and the Hemi makes even better.
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 05:37 PM

Everyone who is into racing should take a visit to Bonneville sometime in their life. Its a different atmosphere than most other racing.

I am a long time friend of Howard Nafzger, and a crew member on his original I gas/fuel streamliner back in the 1980s. That car (448) still holds the FIA records for the class. Howard built a larger version of that car in the early 2000 time frame. He then sold the car to Earl Wooden and then it went to Charlie Nearburg. Its called the Spirit of Rett - and is the fastest single engine unblown car.

Spirit of Rett

Picture of us at Bonneville in the 1980s - Savage (engine), Taebel (crew), Nafzger (owner,builder,driver), Reinbold (crew). We all worked for Big Blue back then. The car was entirely constructed by Howard - all fiberglass and aluminum body panels build in his garage... The nose is fiberglass and the rest of the body is hand formed AL.

Attached picture 7209985-Untitled-43.jpg

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 08:42 PM

If you know The Spirit of Rett, then you must know Scott Sargent. He is a character.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/17/12 09:51 PM

The guy who helps me with tuning and dyno services has a buick regal that is a salt car. He has been 212 at maxton and right at 300 on the salt. He is building a long fiberglass thing to take to the salt that has his all aluminum splayed head small chevy and a 114mm precision turbo. I beleive he said it should go over 300 not sure of the class? He keeps trying to get me to go to bonneville with him. I have been to Maxton alot but it was only 1 hr. drive from the house.
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/18/12 01:00 AM

Quote:

If you know The Spirit of Rett, then you must know Scott Sargent. He is a character.

No! I haven't been there since the 1980's on Howard's crew. However, I'm in contact with Howard most weeks of the year. He lives about 90 miles E of me. He keeps me up on all the Bonneville news, especially the Spirit of Rett, including video and still pictures.

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/18/12 02:46 AM

Scott lives about 1/2 hour from me. He was on the Bonneville crew last year.
Posted By: topside

Re: LSR anyone? - 05/18/12 04:01 AM

Very cool deal, hope the salt holds out long enough that I get to go again. I think a friend of mine - Rick Gold at ERC Fuels - still has the fuel concession there.
Are the '53 Studes still as iconic to Bonneville as Tri-Five Chevys were to drag racing?
© 2024 Moparts Forums