Moparts

how much gear lube???

Posted By: CraigS

how much gear lube??? - 05/09/12 11:28 PM

How much gear lube in my moser60 dana axle?I am changing it ,and i cant remember how much goes in.The fill plug seems awful high up on the cover to fill it up yhat high,but i cant get ahold of moser and wondered if someone on moparts hac a moser 60 ????I think I put in 3 quarts ,but that was 2 years ago.Thanks guys
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/10/12 01:38 AM

My Dana with an Ultimate 60 cover takes about a gallon.I don't use the level plug though it seems pretty high.I have a large filler plug so I can see when it's a little under the axle centerline
Gus

Attached picture 7199248-savoyburnout.jpg
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/10/12 01:48 AM

I run 2 1/2 qt with my Dana with an Ultimate 60 cover. you can put alot more in there. if you drive it on the street you might run more. Now a aftermarket housing might be diff.
Posted By: cl440

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/10/12 02:24 AM

2.5 qts. is what we run
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/10/12 02:59 AM

I think the factory service manuals says the capacity is 5 pints Years ago when Direct Connection was sponsoring the drag seminars the Mopar drag race engineers recommended using only one quart of gear lube in both the Dana 60 and 8 3/4, they said the rest of the fluids in them where for noise contaiment only I run a spool in my Dana 60 in my (limited) street (less than 500 miles a year on the street) and strip Duster, 80 runs last year. I filled the Dana 60 up to the filler plug, over three quarts, two years ago, I drain it this past winter and put half that amount back in, no troubles so far after 15 passes
Posted By: CraigS

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/10/12 03:52 AM

Thanks Guys .2 and a half sounds about right for me.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/10/12 03:56 AM

What type of gear fluid do you use?

Any difference with a locker??
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/10/12 09:33 PM

A locker with no clutchs in it. just what ever gear oil you run I am running a spool with 90-140 synthetic. now clutchs need additive
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/11/12 01:40 PM

2 to 2.5 quarts.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: how much gear lube??? - 05/11/12 04:13 PM

Quote:

A locker with no clutchs in it. just what ever gear oil you run I am running a spool with 90-140 synthetic. now clutchs need additive

Slightly off topic, but I have synthetic lube in my 9.25" axle, factory clutch LSD. I've read on various forums that with synthetic lube you don't need the additive because of how slippery the synthetic stuff is. I have no clutch chatter and my unit works great, is it safe to assume that I'm ok without the additive then?
© 2024 Moparts Forums