Moparts

ShoGun water pump system users? !!! UPDATE!!

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

ShoGun water pump system users? !!! UPDATE!! - 04/26/12 01:05 PM

Anyone here use these... The lines sure are small, but this setup is defintaly light weight. If I was running alky with this car, no question it would work..
But will it keep my race car cool between rounds, in the Kentucky heat & Humidity?
Posted By: Clanton

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 01:51 PM

are you using both the pump and manifold?if so the manifold has #8 fittings correct?[in/out]i just have the manifold but have not used it.
Posted By: Muscles

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 03:43 PM

I've used one for years with no problems.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 03:49 PM

Bill @ Sho-Gun says the lines are small for a reason. I use a Sho-Gun cooling system but changed to a bigger pump(I had the small Sho-Gun pump)only because the Sho-Gun pump went out. Sho-Guns bigger pump or a after market pump dose seem to work better. But I cheated and used the #10 lines with reducers at the manifold. Try it I think you will be pleased!

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 03:51 PM

i hope to use it with a wp136.
20 GPM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Meziere/680/WP136S/10002/-1
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 05:54 PM

you can get a spare pump here... make sure to keep a couple spare impellers on hand and use some kind of cooling system lubricant...

http://www.starwatersystems.com/ProductBenefit.aspx?ProductID=199
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 06:21 PM

Quote:

you can get a spare pump here... make sure to keep a couple spare impellers on hand and use some kind of cooling system lubricant...

http://www.starwatersystems.com/ProductBenefit.aspx?ProductID=199

That looks like the pump that I got at Harbor Freight to replace my leaking Borba pump on a Saturday morning. It is a little noisey but I haven't had an overheating problem yet.

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 06:35 PM

Here are some pctures of my Shogun pump and why I wasn't impressed with it.

I don't understand why the holes are so small for the imput and output, when compared to the 3/8 line size going to it. Then on to a split manifold after that(more volume).

T

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 06:59 PM

The reason I didn't like the pump and didn't use it was because the lines were a pain to install.

You can see the holes for the lines were drilled verticle to the two button head screws on the top and bottom of the pump. I guess the reason being, you could then drill both verticle holes without moving the drill head. If the holes were drilled at a few degrees the lines would be easier to install. I think they should be drilled perpendicular to the pump head.

This is the problem it causes when your intalling the lines. Maybe someone out there can explain why you would design a race part like this.

Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/26/12 08:28 PM

I've used one for over 5 years with no problems. Bought a spare impeller just incase, but haven't need it. My only complaint is that it's noisey.
Posted By: evenflow

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/27/12 12:08 AM

more than 10 years no problems. Bill says he uses -8 lines because the block passages are 1/2 inch.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/27/12 04:17 AM

Ran one on my RB equipped Mirada for years. In the Vegas heat you could go round after round with no issues. Cooled to the point where you could take your sweet time in later rounds while the other guy was puking coolant after the his burnout... DAMHIK
Posted By: sr4440

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/27/12 04:38 AM

the shogun pump blows. I use a booster pumpoff a school bus. Part# CP-20-BBWA

Joe

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 02:51 AM

Quote:

The reason I didn't like the pump and didn't use it was because the lines were a pain to install.

You can see the holes for the lines were drilled verticle to the two button head screws on the top and bottom of the pump. I guess the reason being, you could then drill both verticle holes without moving the drill head. If the holes were drilled at a few degrees the lines would be easier to install. I think they should be drilled perpendicular to the pump head.

This is the problem it causes when your intalling the lines. Maybe someone out there can explain why you would design a race part like this.

Not sure why that you didnt fix that... Could have used a street L or just a short nipple, then ordered a fitting with a female end? 100 ways to get around that little set back... anyways...
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 02:36 PM

Interesting.... my pump was set up in the same fashion, but I didn't have an issue putting the lines on like your pict clearly shows. Drill must have been off an "n'th" the day that one was made.

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 03:33 PM

You can't tell the centerline from a picture I lifted from the Shogun site. I still don't understand why they don't just drill a few degrees off center so they will clear. The added clearence would make it easier to work on when your hanging over a fender.

I guess having made my own cooling system and worried about things like clearences When you maufature a product I think you would make it as adaptable as possible.

Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 05:11 PM

Anyone, besides Bob (eh100), made their own manifolds? If so, do you have any pictures?

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

Anyone, besides Bob (eh100), made their own manifolds? If so, do you have any pictures?

AndyF i believe makes some.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 06:18 PM

Yes, I make water manifolds for BB and Hemi engines.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/produ...mp;partid=27040
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 06:46 PM

Any of you guys pump water through the heads? I can't use the front top engine hole because the heads don't have a water provision(hole). I have to use the front(and rear) of the heads(core holes)

I was trying dif. combos here....

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 07:06 PM

how hard would it be to set this ShoGun system up for reverse cooling? I mean is it as simple as switching the lines to run water through the heads first?
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 07:09 PM

I wondered the same thing. I have 3 different styles of pumps but no SHOGAN.. I was going to mock up some water lines and test flow where the water exits. What do you think?

oh.. I forgot. I also have blocks very similar to Andy's I thought about trying out.

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 07:19 PM

I picked this system up used and got around to checking it out yesterday... Hooked the motor up and it sounded funny...
Pulled the small pump cover off and the impeller is toast... It was actually like chewed bubble gum, Found a repair kit on line for fairly cheap. Like $20 for two impellers. Not sure if the cheap aftermarket replacement impellers can hold up to the much hotter temps of a race car however. These pumps are pretty much cheap garden or bilge pumps.

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 04/28/12 07:35 PM

i use a demco bilge pump and a WP136 mezier pump in my intercooler system but not on the engine yet but have the radiator with an fitting allready.

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 05/10/12 03:29 AM

I been looking and looking for a water pump that is suitable for a race car.. Lots of small remote style pumps on ebay... None are made for the higher water temps that our coolant system makes..
Finally think I found one.. and its sure is small too..
Plan to buy one and I will let you guys know how it works out...
look
http://www.sun-pump.com/pumps.htm
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 05/10/12 06:59 PM

3 gallons per minute ain't going to cut it I wouldn't think. Most electric warter pumps are at least 28-30 gpm. I would just go ahead and get something like a mezeire remote pump.

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 05/11/12 12:50 AM

Quote:

3 gallons per minute ain't going to cut it I wouldn't think. Most electric warter pumps are at least 28-30 gpm. I would just go ahead and get something like a mezeire remote pump.

You might be right, but the pumps they use to sell didnt flow much either. They make some interesting points about a cooling system requirements.
read..

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 05/11/12 12:50 AM

Posted By: sc301v

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 05/14/12 02:23 PM

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/sea...&sst=subset

Been using this pump forever...And also if you have a shogun pump assembly the top will bolt directly to the grainger motor and also the mounting bracket will come off so you can use the shogun mount also.
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 09/03/17 05:40 PM

Anyone have a Shogun manifold that they want to sell?? Mine has sprung a small leak. Going to get it welded up. But I would like a spare!!

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 09/03/17 05:44 PM

I have 1,never used

Attached picture 20170903_114701.jpg
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 09/03/17 08:26 PM

PM sent.
Posted By: CROWBAR

Re: ShoGun water pump system users? - 10/02/21 03:17 AM

Any one have a ShoGun water pump system for sale? Looking for the expansion tank and manifold

Attached picture 2990F852-5EE2-4059-8C4F-759706F29CB3.jpeg
Attached picture 226CD2CD-EEC7-44D1-80EC-2960C7843A0D.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums