Moparts

fuel cell vent?

Posted By: rickraw

fuel cell vent? - 04/21/12 07:22 PM

was under my car today. semll gas by vent. has anyone tried a pcv valve on the hose?? i figure any pressure in the cell would open to releive any pressure. don't know if the spring would prevent that from happening. i found a stink bug in the cell, must have crawled up the vent anyone have any input. thanks for ur time.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/21/12 07:27 PM

I put a rollover valve on my fuel cell in the duster last year. I've heard of guys putting a fuel filter at the end of the vent line to prevent dirt from entering the cell.

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/21/12 08:04 PM

i have a rollover valve. maybe i'll try a filter. just wanted to cut down some of the gas smell in my garage. thanks.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/21/12 10:50 PM

mine always smells too...thats vapor..good thing the garage has vents...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/21/12 11:03 PM

Get a charcoal filter from some old car... a regular
filter wont change the smell... just plug in the charcoal
filter when its in the garage
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/21/12 11:07 PM

I use a small k&n filter on the end of the vent hose. You might check to see you have a check valve on your vent to prevent spillage incase of a roll over. But the venting of fumes is a normal thing.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/22/12 12:43 AM

Quote:

I put a rollover valve on my fuel cell in the duster last year. I've heard of guys putting a fuel filter at the end of the vent line to prevent dirt from entering the cell.

I used a k&n keychain I got from a racing event and it perfectly fits over 1/2" alum. line which I inserted in the end of my #8 earls braided line.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/22/12 01:05 AM

I have a K&N filter on my roll over valve, when parked in the garage I pull the filter and pop on a AN plug, other wise I get the .."I smell gas" routine.

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/22/12 01:18 AM

i thank every one for their input. guess no one ever tried a pcv valve as i posted. i think i'll try one & see how it works. i'll repost this topic & let everyone know if it works. maybe everyone will have a stink free garage.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/22/12 01:31 AM

Quote:

i thank every one for their input. guess no one ever tried a pcv valve as i posted. i think i'll try one & see how it works. i'll repost this topic & let everyone know if it works. maybe everyone will have a stink free garage.

The only thing that will work is a charcoal filter...
thats why they are on cars(for emissions)... you have
to let the tank vent
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: fuel cell vent? - 04/22/12 12:28 PM

I put a pvc valve on the end of my vent tube and I don't have a problem with it. I tried a few by sucking air through them to find the lightest one. Did it get rid of the smell of gas? Don't know. You still smell gas in the garage, although not real bad. Do you have a carb on your car? If you do, do you plug the vent tubes when you park it to stop the smell of gas? Carburated cars smell after gas. The systems are not control vented like a fuel-injected system therefore you smell gas. Just walk around an old car in a parking lot or any where. You smell gas.
© 2024 Moparts Forums