Moparts

Inexpensive header coatings?

Posted By: Montclaire

Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 08:51 PM

I have a pair of headers that I got with a car, they are an old pair of Hedmans that are kinda crusty. I was going to send them off to Jet-Hot to be coated, but they quoted me over $300. I can buy a new, ceramic coated pair for $257. Doesn't have to be show quality, just looking for something that will hold up and keep the rust at bay. Thoughts? Thanks

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:31 PM

I should say that I've tried the rattle can route over the years, I need someplace that will dip and bake them.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:32 PM

eastwood has tech coating. i think it's 25.00 for a 4 ounce can, 1300 deg. i got 2 cans to do my small block headers. i cured mine in my modified over. can be cured on the car.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:36 PM

Quote:

eastwood has tech coating. i think it's 25.00 for a 4 ounce can, 1300 deg. i got 2 cans to do my small block headers. i cured mine in my modified over. can be cured on the car.

How has it lasted? I got some stuff from eastwood several years back that was black. It was in a can and you painted it on. It wasn't any better than the rattle can crap from the parts store.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:41 PM

Yeah, the "cure on car" method is a joke. I had bought good paint, too, but it had to be baked within so many hours. So it was spray, spray, throw the motor in the car, and let it run. Of course, that meant open headers. Wound up going half deaf and vibrating all of the trophys off the body shop shelf. That didn't go over too well. They looked just as bad two months later.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How has it lasted? I got some stuff from eastwood several years back that was black. It was in a can and you painted it on. It wasn't any better than the rattle can crap from the parts store.

I use to use the BBQ spray paint... a couple times
a year I would have to spray the outside of the first
bend... thats the hot spot.... now days I have
QC Coatings do all my headers with ceramic (black
or Silver)

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:44 PM

If someone near you does powdercoating, you may want to check w/ them. I think they have a type of coating they can do that will work on headers. Just what I've been told, but I have zero experience w/ it.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:48 PM

What does QC charge per pair?

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:51 PM

i used the silver matte finish. it has lasted longer that a set of tti's i use to have. prep is the key for a good finish. i beleive u need a 240 grit finish. no glass beading. i modified a old electric oven, 1 header fits in nicely. cured 1 hr @ 800 deg. finish never came off. for what it cost for jet hot, u can do ur own headers many times & it still would be cheaper.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:53 PM

Quote:

What does QC charge per pair?

About $250 for most headers

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 09:56 PM

Yeah, I can buy new for $250

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Your not buying new headers that are ceramic coated
for $250
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/19/12 11:22 PM

i used tech like coatings cerma krome.thay are dull after 20yrs but not rusted.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

for $250

I'm thinking the same thing. New and painted maybe, but not new and ceramic coated. If they are really $275 for coated ones, then I'd seriously question the quality.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

for $250

I'm thinking the same thing. New and painted maybe, but not new and ceramic coated. If they are really $275 for coated ones, then I'd seriously question the quality.

Without a doubt.... even a plain set of headers for
$275 I would REALLY wonder
Posted By: mshred

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 01:06 AM

I've had good luck with the spray bomb method...Used VHT the first year I put my car together, without any heat processing and the paint flaked right off (And stunk too)..Second time around I wire wheeled the headers until they were bare metal, heated em up till they were glowing hot with a torch (you can feel the heat coming out the opposite side) and while they were hot, sprayed about 2-3 coats of the paint on. That finish lasted perfectly fine, required no breaking in with heat on initial firing of the engine, and is cheap and looks good too
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 02:55 AM

The spray on coatings are a joke. I've stripped headers and refinished them only to have them like junk after a year or so.

This time I tried POR-15 Black Velvet header coating and its amazing. I wiped them down with rubbing alcohol and painted them with a brush right on the car. I thinned the Black Velvet with a little bit of paint thinner and brushed it on. It looks a little streaky at first but once you start the engine it bakes right on. If you ever need to touch it up just grab the can and brush a little more on. Make sure you wear gloves because it doesnt come off your skin. I've done 2 sets of headers so far and used maybe 1/2 of the can.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 03:08 AM

Quote:

The spray on coatings are a joke. I've stripped headers and refinished them only to have them like junk after a year or so.

This time I tried POR-15 Black Velvet header coating and its amazing. I wiped them down with rubbing alcohol and painted them with a brush right on the car. I thinned the Black Velvet with a little bit of paint thinner and brushed it on. It looks a little streaky at first but once you start the engine it bakes right on. If you ever need to touch it up just grab the can and brush a little more on. Make sure you wear gloves because it doesnt come off your skin. I've done 2 sets of headers so far and used maybe 1/2 of the can.

I'm guessing you don't need a top coat with that? Sounds like it might be a good solution.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 04:46 AM

I sandblast the crap out of them to get good bite and then BBQ black them. Very easy to touch up if need be and doesn't wear off.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 05:11 AM

VHT, no problems after several years.
Posted By: coletrickle

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 02:12 PM

Probally the cheapest option is pot belly stove black if you just want Them to look not crusty,to get the best back yard job you can see if you soak them in caustic soda for 24 hrs pressure clean then bake in an oven to remove all traces of grease then blast and paint then bake.ive been doing cerama chrome coating for quite a while here in oz. The price you were quoted and what other guys have mentioned seems about right.Regarding the new headers already coated IMHO the coating that comes on any manufactures pipes are just to suck u in!It just crap.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 02:24 PM

i used another paint product called RED HOT that is silver in color that i used on the exh extension and mufflers that has held up well.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 03:26 PM

Mountclaire,

I just did my TTI headers a few weeks ago, I sand blasted them down just the outside, they were ceramic coated from TTI and did not stand up to well. After i blased them I bought VHT silica ceramic paint at the parts store. I did drivers side with that and the other side with a two part ceramic paint, both satin finish, they look identical, I baked them in a comercial oven for a few hours at 600 degrees. they look good and I am expecting them to last a while. My brother did his two years ago with the VHT and they still look as good as the day he did them. thats my two cents.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

for $250

Without a doubt.... even a plain set of headers for
$275 I would REALLY wonder

The cheapest ceramic coated BBM headers on the market that I can find are the Summit brand, and they're currently $342- They are 1-7/8" primaries.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/20/12 07:25 PM

take the choke and buy a new pair that are coated...
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/21/12 02:36 AM

no way dude ...save your money ...try the por-15 black velvet.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/21/12 02:40 AM

I think the key is baking them, I'm going to try a local guy and see what he recommends. I don't have anything near big enough to fit them available to me.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/21/12 02:59 AM

there are 3 keys to a good finish. proper finish, part has to be super clean & baked at proper temp & time.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/21/12 05:08 AM

I had QC coatings do the header in my Jeep, I had to put a good size clearance dent in the header after the fact, Ball peen hammer wouldn't take off the coating! I would use them again in a heart beat. I thought the price was great also.

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/21/12 05:22 AM

Quote:

I had QC coatings do the header in my Jeep, I had to put a good size clearance dent in the header after the fact, Ball peen hammer wouldn't take off the coating! I would use them again in a heart beat. I thought the price was great also.

These are the set I made for my Rampage(W-5 heads)
thatQC did for me... I normally go silver but I have
to much shiney under the hood so I went black

Attached picture 7173129-DSC00162.JPG
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Inexpensive header coatings? - 04/21/12 05:50 AM

I've used Por-15 black and silver and Black Velvet from Techline on headers and manifolds. Each is not 100% reliable BUT I like the fact I can touch it up as needed VS a coating.

I sandblast them (no glass bead) - clean them really good (don't touch them with you hands) hit them with a propane torch to boil out any grease oil and clean them again.

Spray product with a cheap touchup gun and partially cure them with a infrared or propane heater, then finish on the car. Por 15 will smear if just left to air dry.

Tried it once with a salamader heater but I had a reaction ( I assume from the kerosene)
© 2024 Moparts Forums